Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, so I just got side-swiped last week when someone decided they wanted to share lanes. As I pulled over, the other car jammed and took off on me. In the heat of the moment, I didn't get their plate, so now I have to eat my insurance deductible. Every time I've talked to has told me to get a dash cam, so here I am researching them.

I've come to the Vantrue R2 and the reviews seem to be pretty good. Any thoughts on this one, or recommendations on something better? I'd like to keep it under $200.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For those of you with/getting the SG5966GC, did you also get a hardwire power kit as well? The only thing I don't like about the SG is that it doesn't have a parking mode, which is understandable since it's capacitor-based.

I guess I could ghetto-rig it with an Anker battery pack between the 12V supply and the cam, but I'd rather not have an extra battery sitting in the car exposed to 110' California summer days in my black car.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DethMarine21 posted:

I did. 30 bucks seems kind of steep for the "CELL POWER CPUSB01" kit that they recommend but I didn't want to cheap out on something that was getting somewhat permanently installed into the car's electrical system. I tied it in to the cigarette lighter circuit though so like you said there's no parking mode and the camera immediately turns off when the engine stops. That's probably one of the biggest drawbacks but like you also mentioned I don't think a LiPo battery would tolerate being up on the windshield in the middle of summer very well.

I think I'm going to go with this one. Not only does it have a low battery discharge protection, it has a timer as well.

I think the timer would be useful for when I run into the store or something instead of partially draining my battery every time I go into work.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, I ordered the SG9665GC with the Lukas hardwire kit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my SG9665GC hooked up over the weekend. Seems pretty nice. Good image clarity. I guess they're now shipping with the electronics in the GPS unit flipped upside-down now, because mine specifically said it was for window mounting now, instead of dash mounting. This thing was a lot smaller and lighter than I had imagined.

I just have it running on the 12V at the moment. I will probably wire it into my fuse box this weekend and have it record 30 mins or so after I turn the car off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use the Street Guardian with a Lukas hard-wire kit. Seems to work great. I never have to touch it. After I turn the car off, I have it set to run until the car battery hits 12.4V, then it cuts it off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's not bad. I bought a couple fuse tap kits. You tap the ACC wire (on the Lukas type-C) to something that is only on while your car is on, and the B+ wire to something that's constantly on (tail lights, whatever). Definitely need a digital multimeter to figure out what is what though, and to figure out which side is the output.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh yeah, and don't fuse tap anything critical like the airbags :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Is this Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 that much better than everything else? Or should I just spend half as much on something reasonable?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U0OJMYG/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=26IZ05XZOID8K&coliid=I30C7HBM318Y0S

I just bought the V2 a couple months ago. gently caress!

It works well though. No complaints!