Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

18 Character Limit posted:

Holy poo poo. What is going on?

:piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Fo3 posted:

New aussie one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGM8onreGcU
Only got as far as 2min08s and WTF

7:52 in is magical.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The birds eye view is definitely one of those features you scoff at until you use it. Super nice.

I felt the same way about backup cameras until I got into a car with a decent one and a nice, large screen. It saw a car coming around the large SUV parked next to me way before I could, and now I'm a fan.

But I still drive a 98 CRV so it'll be a while before I get a car that has one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I love that helmet if that's a real design. Yeah, nearly half of all first-contact points with the ground are on your chin. Motorcyclists with 3/4 helmets are wack.

On a long road trip my wife and I came upon a motorcyclist who had struck a deer. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet but struck the pavement (and maybe his bike) with his chin. He was barely breathing and obviously seriously injured. He died a few days later in the hospital.

Wear a full face helmet if you ride. You may think other drivers are what you need to watch out for, but nature can take you out just as easily.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

:stare: How did he survive that?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I love this guy's videos, but this one is something special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NerbwzT-aW0

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

In other news, my local subreddit delivers again. Something something truck driver dumps a huge load right into the camera something something.

https://streamable.com/bs2cb

I watched it a few times but I can't see where the trash bin comes from. Did it get kicked up from the road?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Geoj posted:

^
Is it a Reddit meme? I just assumed it was left over from the Halloween-themed thread name changes...

You are correct.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

That's quite impressive :golfclap:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nitrox posted:

I have bought 5 of these so far, all working like a Swiss clock. Decent video, tiny size, capacitor, WiFi connection, what what could you ask for? $55. Oh, and I use 256gig card, no problem. Oldest camera is 3 years old by now, used daily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773FXVKL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_ibL1EbKSVFJQE

Do you run one in the front and back window? Anything else you can recommend with them, or is everything out of the box good?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
So what's the recommended dashcam nowadays? I'd like to get both front and rear facing cameras, and am proficient at installation.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Fantastic, thank you. I've ordered the A129 Plus Duo and a couple good SD cards. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

Fantastic, thank you. I've ordered the A129 Plus Duo and a couple good SD cards. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

I got my Viofo cameras installed this week, and I would love to share the quality but it looks like hot dog poo poo on YouTube. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm very happy with the quality, customizability and ease of use.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Basically what he said. It's blocky, artifacts are everywhere. But the source is great, and viewing videos in the app shows the GPS location at the same time is pretty sweet!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
If you're ever unsure, just press the incident button (or whatever it's called) and it will lock that segment for you from deletion. You can go into the software of the Viofo with their phone app (which is actually not terrible) and unlock it later.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
There are way too many people who submit clips of them abusing their horns instead of slowing down and using a modicum of courtesy. We all make mistakes, punishing others just leads to road rage.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

builds character posted:

Using your horn is a fine art form. At least in NYC. Like how Italians talk with their hands but when I try to do it I look silly. There are many honks, and only some of them are angry.

Using your horn when appropriate is fine. Using it in place of your brakes is a bad idea.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Saw my first accident on the can today! I saw this white sedan driving erratically so I hit the event button. She ended up rear-ending a guy at a stop light down the road, and I pulled over to give the guy my info.

Checking now, I realize I hit the wrong button and didn't get any of the footage because I paused the recording. Oops!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
loving autocorrect.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have a hybrid, the car still has standard 12v wiring in most of the normal places. The Viofo is nice, and install was a breeze for someone who is familiar with such things.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Re: wiring, I bought a kit from Viofo for like 25 bucks and it detects a low battery voltage and will stop drawing power. It's worth the peace of mind.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I switched mine to do time lapse instead (4 or 5 fps).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Those are wonderful cars, sorry for your loss.

The new Camry and Avalon hybrid models are just as comfy and get ridiculous mpgs. I'm a whore for Toyotas.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Looks like everyone handled the minor emergency well. I wish more of these ended that well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Viofo is real nice, and they have a wiring kit that monitors your battery voltage and will cut power to the cam so you don't get stranded with a dead battery.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Did you try another SD card? I think that's the same one I'm using on my A129 Duo but it is working fine.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Bummer! I bought the kit to limit voltage (to keep from draining my battery too far) and it's been working great so far.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
As a fellow mountain biker who has also had some injuries recently, I wish you fast healing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Viofo a129 duo, with the wiring kit and a good SD card.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Corn: was that the fabled Volvo from your BFC thread all those years ago?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

Sure is. Still going strong, though the wife wished I'd scrapped it about eight years ago.

I should've realized when you said 13 years. That thing definitely was worth the money in the long run.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Zaurg made many posts and nothing changed for him. It was in you the whole time :glomp:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I stopped caring after a few years of the carousel.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nexYDhraLRI&t=183s

You've made it to the big show, Jake M!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Most aren't going to read plates well due to the fisheye lens, but the Viofo 129 is still pretty damned good, imo.

edit: why did I put Aukey? only took me a day to realize it.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 11, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Don't be like me, and the first incident you witness you hit the wrong button and stop recording by accident. Thankfully, the guilty party admitted fault and my recording wasn't needed. Also, I wasn't involved.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

opengl128 posted:

I really don't understand why in those dashcam compilations you always see/hear the driver madly pawing at the button to save the clip. Are you running a 32MB SD card my dude? Just download the clip when you get home. Your average reasonably sized card will hold like a week's worth of footage.

I wanted to mark it as an event when I first saw the girl acting crazy, then she rear ended a guy at a red light. I pressed the wrong button and lost everything after her first crazy maneuver.

Now I know better and will be more cautious.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Finally had a reason to pull video from my dash cam today, and it was a doozy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdjzrJU7uRU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah drat, that was a big crash! The self-cleanup at the end was impressive though, I agree :v: Hopefully nobody was hurt, geez

Everyone was alert and walking around, but I'm sure the recipient will have some whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

Did you change lanes to avoid that or just get incredibly lucky?

Incredibly lucky. I wanted to pass a semi a few vehicles ahead that had been clogging up the left lane and saw the opportunity when the traffic stopped.