Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Opensourcepirate posted:

Good news about my knee; the doctor doesn't think I need surgery, so I just need to stay off of it for a super long time.

Good to hear man. Knee injuries suck rear end. I dislocated my patella on new years eve 2012/2013 whist out clubbing. I popped it back myself and (not wanting to ruin anyone's new years eve) waited by myself for my friends to finish up. Limped home with the help of a friend. Took pretty much 6 months for discomfort / pain to go away. I still haven't regained the loss of touch sensation on my lower inside leg though.

Anyway, content: I really wished I had a front and back camera today. Whilst going into town I encounter a driver going 60km/h on a 90km/h road. Overly cautious, except when going into a round-about where the driver nearly crashed. Then going home I had a retard riding so far up my rear end I couldn't even see the light from his headlights, and it was dark outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

drukqs posted:

First bit of relatively interesting footage I've caught on mine since getting it 2 months ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfT2KgyOenM

I guess it looks darker on the video, but what the gently caress at all those people not having their lights on.. :psyduck:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Also, from what I gathered from a quick google, winter tires aren't mandatory in Russian. That would explain a lot.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Opensourcepirate posted:

Aside from mountain roads with "Chains Required" posted and things like that, are there any places where winter tires are a legal requirement?

It's illegal in Sweden to drive without winter tires from December 1st to March 31st and whenever the conditions warrant it. M+S tires are acceptable.

Edit: beaten

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah, it looks like the dude in the Honda is actively blocking them and preventing them from coming back in. Although the truck driver shouldn't have tried to overtake the Honda, the idiot was brake checking them.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DEAR RICHARD posted:

You didn't stop when the street told you to stop :colbert:

Isn't that just a stop line for when the barrier is down?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

0rganDonor posted:

I almost decommissioned an older Blazer the other night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErmS7rS8KEQ

It's to dark to see (at least on my monitor), and I'm not from the US, but was there a yield sign or stop sign there or are you required to stop like that when joining a highway(?)?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Takes No Damage posted:

That's a 70 mph road, hell no would you stop at the ramp. It's understood that merging traffic should yield to vehicles that are already in the lane though. It looks like Organ is driving a truck of some kind, only thing I can think is that the first car didn't think they could merge and was just stopping completely so he could pass, and the 2nd car wasn't having it. It looked like a really short merge lane though so it's hard to tell if the first car is really at fault.

I thought as much. I'm pretty sure the blame would be put on the guy braking over here. At least a big part of it. Especially because no one has to yield when joining traffic via ramps, and not accelerating up to the speed of the traffic is a big no no. We're supposed to mutually ensure that the merge is safe.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Takes No Damage posted:

Bonus bonus, saw this in the Dallas subreddit this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJzPT8wdi0

Obviously the van turning into an oncoming green light is at fault, but I just don't get how, if you're looking forward, you can not see that coming. It was from a stop too so it's not like anybody was up to speed, the car to his left brakes in plenty of time. My best guess is that he wasn't really paying attention, saw the van out of his peripheral and subconsciously assumed it was oncoming traffic from the other direction, not noticing it was actually in front of him until it was too late.

Really looks like the driver filming was distracted. Impossible to miss otherwise. It was almost like watching cyclists cams where you see what's going to happen long before it actually happens, and the cyclist obviously didn't pay attention or (also likely) isn't willing to slow down or back down, and they get hit. When I drive/cycle, if I see even a hint of someone about to turn in front of me, I slow down / get ready to brake.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't remember if it was in this thread or the sharing road with thread that I brought up "volvodashcam". Anyway, he got hit in his shiny new car and I don't really feel bad for him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbvx4vyY6w

Even if he isn't at fault, he could have avoided it if he didn't drive the way he does.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Godholio posted:

The car filming tried to switch lanes without looking, but realized there was traffic in the way. But she moved over far enough that the car over there swerved to avoid her, which caused the truck in the next lane to swerve and everything went to hell.

Yeah, for once they youtube comments are actually on to something. The uploader insists that his wife that was the driver of the car filming didn't cause the accident. But from what the video shows it's kinda of hard to believe to she didn't. But it could be that as she was switching lanes, the black car swerved out to pass the truck on the right (which isn't impossible).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That bike revving "honk" sounds even more retarded than laying on the horn (which is an achievement).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

davebo posted:

Proceed forward after noticing the other traffic was also stopped. At least here if there are no working lights you treat it as a 4-way stop sign intersection, so if the coast was clear he could have just gone like the van did. Is that the case in most of Europe or are you obligated to sit there until there just isn't any traffic on the larger road?

In Sweden it's Police > Lights > Signs > Cars coming from the right have right of way. I wouldn't trust people with simple stuff like that though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Takes No Damage posted:

Biker wrangles a cop and throws him at a chick who didn't yield properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2JBbol2To

Google tells me South Windsor is in Connecticut, is there really such a place where Utopian ideals like 'right of way' and 'zipper merge' are actually followed and enforced? You're probably more sensitive to it being on a motorcycle, if something that this happened in my car I wouldn't even bother pulling the video to upload, much less try to flag down a cop.

I love how she doesn't even move her head in the slightest while he's honking. Either she is blind as a bat, or she is ignoring him for some dumb reason.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Cameras like the BlackVue DR650S-2CH has parking mode, but I'm having trouble finding an accurate source regarding if it's possible to not record except if it's detecting impact or movement. Dashcams have become legal now, but having a camera running while parked counts as surveilence and needs a permit. I feel like having the camera take a short video if someone dings the car is "grey zone" but I'd still probably have it do it.
Anyone in the know?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

18 Character Limit posted:

A lawyer licensed to practice in your state?

That is ultimately what you'd use that kind of recording for. And for it to be worthwhile, you would need to be recording before the impact even if it's a continuously overwritten buffer of so many seconds.

Aside from the legalities. I was thinking that usually when people ding you, they drive off and will be seen on the seconds of footage. But yeah you are right, then there won't be any real proof anyway so I guess it's useless.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Leperflesh posted:

It's completely wrong to blame the pedestrian in any way for that situation existing.
I agree. But if I were the pedestrian I'd blame myself for not paying more attention to a dangerous place in the road. Doesn't matter who's in the right when you're at the Neuro ICU with a massive bleed and you're looking at lifelong cognitive damage or death.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Are GPS cameras where the camera need a separate module plugged in to enable GPS included?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Not that I'm in the US or subject to the craziness of laws there, but I figured that if it works in US litigation mania, it'll work everywhere.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not to forget that everyone runs bald as gently caress tires and have no ABS.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

.... exactly why I always expect a pedestrian when the car in the other lane slows down. Also why I as a pedestrian get nervous as hell when crossing at a 2 lane crossing when there is a van or other big vehicle that blocks visibility for the vehicles in the other lane. I once saw a girl who walked right out, head buried in her phone and was totally oblivous to the car comes racing past in the other lane, and almost hit her.

VVVVV: Expect the unexpected, prepare for the retarded - that's my motto when driving.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 28, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Still picking bits of my seat cushion out of my rear end. Looking at the video, it looks like someone knocked down the yield sign that the F-150 would normally have, but we missed by a oval office hair. And of course my dumbass was on the phone (bluetooth at least). Pissed that I didn't see him earlier, but OTOH, if I'd hit the brakes, we probably would have hit (and I definitely would have been tagged by the jackass riding my bumper).

While I generally don't understand people who honk instead of avoiding the danger, you did both and at the same time. This time the honk was needed. Nicely done!
Speaking of phones, I never get people who are prioritizing the talking on the phone bit over driving. I always do the opposite. I'd rather ask what was said than crash into people. Same goes for talking with passengers. I always tell people to just be quiet for a second if something comes up that I need to concentrate on (like sudden queues on the motorway).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
From watching US dashcam/TV/movies/videos that no one ever fully stops at a stop sign in the US. Should just swap them all out for yield signs, but I guess people will not even slow down for those?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Platystemon posted:

Half of stop signs should become yields; half should be removed outright.

The only nice thing I can say about all‐way stops is that a steady stream of traffic on the through road can’t shut down the other road, but if that’s a real concern the intersection probably warrants a light.

Yeah that's something I noticed as well. You guys have a shitload of stop signs.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rhyno posted:

<siiiiigh>

keeps driving

Well at least he didn't park in the middle of the lane on a busy motorway like most people in dashcam videos seem to.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How would the Volvo (Audi) even reliably know that it was red anyway? They were past being able to see the lights.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

chrisgt posted:

Probably had a green left arrow.

Ah of course.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Hahaha and the loving idiot was telling you to use your eyes. I keep telling my GF (that's learning to drive) that these types of situations should always be avoided, and you shouln't turn through lines of traffic like that. Avoid at all costs.

Edit: ^^^^^ Exactly the same here. I try to avoid letting people through for this reason. Only if the other lane has very slow moving traffic.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
European dashcam compilation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2oRn_bqVlI

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

NoWake posted:

If you can't drive in snow, stay the gently caress home.
If you can drive in snow, slow the gently caress down.
Holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6TrQzm4nEk

That's what I call a proper fun day of driving. Thanks to global warming there aren't as many days like that here anymore though. :(

But then again, everyone has winter tyres and are at least vaguely decent at driving in winter conditions so I've never really seen anything happen like in the video. When I first got my license and it was snowy like this I would spend hours driving in my lovely Mitsubishi Carisma to gain experience and mess about in parking lots.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm thinking about splashing out on the Thinkware F800pro for my new car. Recording while parking is a bit illegal, but if the camera only saves recordings if something triggers it I'd sleep a bit better in that grey zone as at least I could get a license number (hopefully). Anyone got any experience with this dashcam?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
After tons more research I decided against the Thinkware camera, and am instead thinking that a VIOFO 4K Dual Dash Cam A129 Pro Duo is a much better bang for the buck camera. Anyone have any experience with it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Toe Rag posted:

The #3 lane was ending anyway. I rarely drive in the right-most lane because I don’t want to constantly deal with mergers, unless it’s only two lanes. To make up for my lane discipline transgression, I always move out of the way if someone is coming up behind me more quickly, instead of making them “undertake.”

That was some A+ footage, though.

I bet you don't drive in Europe then? You'd get ticketed for middle lane hogging.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Finally got my rear end in gear and ordered the A129 4k Duo with all the hardwire kit crap needed. $300, but I guess it'll pay for itself if it catches any hit n run damage or idiots crashing into me.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very unnecessary crash if it were to happen, and I suspect that an insurance company would assign some blame to you for being aggressive.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Blackvue and Thinkware are probably the ones to go for to get the best quality and support. VIOFO are supposed to be a step down. I just couldn't stomach the Thinkware prices for what I wanted, so I'm hoping the VIOFO will last. I don't live in a climate with extreme temperatures, which should help.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

ausgezeichnet posted:

My VIOFO A119 just passed it's second birthday being used in South Florida and is still recording the aberrant behavior of snowbird drivers like a champ. I occasionally forget to take it down when parked in direct sunlight and I can't remember it ever performing a heat-related auto shutdown - unlike my G1W.

Good to hear! Looking forward to when it's installed and working.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Installing my A129 I realiz how many of the guides online that just blindly push the wires behing the A-pillar trim thus obstructing the airbag curtain. I removed mine and fed the wire behing the airbag.
A bit of an ":ohdear: moment" IMO...

Now I just need to find a way to cleanly route the last bit of the rear camera to the hatch.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MikeyTsi posted:

So I'm kind of assuming these are trash,...

https://www.ebjabber.com/products/l...ZnVlH3W9EIW_r_g

Not that specific one but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiOHnUnog68

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I've had a dashcam for 6 months and haven't seen anything worth saving.