Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Are there any decent dual-camera (remote wired camera for rear view) models on the market?

Anyone not following the chat thread, I was rear-ended on Thursday and the other party's insurance is attempting to weasel out of accepting liability. The other party was clearly at fault, accident was witnessed by a county sheriff's deputy and she was cited for ACD on the scene, however her insurer is claiming they can't move forward on the claim until she calls them back as they "don't have her side of the story" yet - which I'm not totally buying, because when I contacted them to start a claim they told me one had already been started by the at-fault driver. So either they're deliberately stalling or the at-fault driver told them I was somehow responsible.

Video footage of the crash would sure be nice to have now - is there anything available or should I just install a pair of cameras?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LongSack posted:

The guy who did the hard wire install said that the mustang doesn't have any switched connections

I refuse to believe this. Surely something like the power windows or stereo go off with the key?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Sitting there for upwards of a minute is a good way to get killed though. I was expecting someone to jump out of the Suburban shooting, or at the very least for the camera car to get deliberately rear-ended at the red light.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Gorilla Salad posted:

Without going totally off into 'old man yells at clouds' territory, this sort of thing infuriates me.

My car has an LCD dashboard which becomes totally opaque if I'm wearing polarised sunglasses. And my aftermarket reversing sensor display is the same.

People building things and putting them out to market without goddamn testing them first :argh:

Someone wearing sunglasses while driving? Unprecedented!

I understand where you're coming from, but this is really a situation where there isn't any other option:

Demonstration of removing the polarizing layer from a LCD panel, and the screen appearing white until viewed through polarized lenses.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 10, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

That costs extra money

You've lost 85% of automakers right here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Isn't it an office or apartment complex now?

e: vineyard.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 7, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

Fixed.

You're going to have to talk to lawmakers who are terrified of the retiree demographic about that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The driver of the car was being an idiot by trying to cut in ahead of oncoming traffic, but this is a good demonstration of why lane splitting on the outside of a lane while going through an intersection - especially next to a full-size pickup that obscures both you from the turning vehicle and the turning vehicle from you - is a bad idea.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I thought the audio concern was from some states having laws that make video recording in public legal but not necessarily audio recording...?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
That's what you get for listening to and/or singing along with Rhinestone Cowboy :colbert:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Is it a Reddit meme? I just assumed it was left over from the Halloween-themed thread name changes...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, as far as that goes the cop who ordered the spike strip laid out and every other cop who was there and capable of stopping it from being laid out should get sued.

Reality: officers have their qualified immunity upheld in court, and damages are paid out by a taxpayer-funded insurance policy that does not impact the department at all - assuming they even accept that much responsibility.

Like any other stupid decision made by the police that results in property damage and/or injury to bystanders they'll blame it on the suspect.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

Lots of departments self-insure.

Have you ever seen one where paying out a claim or damages meant they had to cut something else from the budget?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sagebrush posted:

actually, sir, you see, when you swerved to avoid the deer you commanded the car to go into the ditch, so the accident is determined to be your fault. if you had struck the deer then you would be covered we would deny the claim on the grounds that a deer in the road is an act of god. this case is closed, thank you for being a customer

this is how insurance really works, at least for some companies

Fixed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shere posted:

I quite enjoyed how they hesitated until the worst possible moment to do their maliciously dumb thing.

Eh, if they'd waited another half second longer that would have resulted in a collision.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

It overlays a parking guide (green/yellow/red lines) on the video feed. Nice if your head unit doesn’t do it, probably bad if your head unit does. [/list]

If you scroll through the pictures there's a wire loop that can be cut near the camera that disables the guide.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

don't normalize fascism in your head

I mean, not saying I disagree here but sometimes you have to operate within the constraints of the reality in which you exist.

What would you suggest he do, against the backdrop of the police being practically untouchable in a court of law and accountable/answerable only to themselves?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Run a fused positive line up the b-pillar and bury a DC-DC USB power adapter above the headliner, grounding to chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JuffoWup posted:

A goon in world of tanks made me aware of these issues back in the day. Earlier vw beetle models from the 2000s had a funny story with their headlights. Cost like 1k to change because you needed to yank the motor out to have room to access the units.

My wife had a 99 or 00 when she was in college and you could pull the entire assembly out without tools. Throw a locking lever on the back of the headlight assembly and the entire unit slid out the front of the car. Possibly the easiest bulb replacement I've experienced in a modern vehicle and possibly one of the only positives in maintaining that car.