Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

Lane-splitting just seems in general to be a dumb practice to me.

I guess it's a good thing I live in a state where it's illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

Does anyone know anything about the "Armor All" ADC2-1004? It's on-sale on Woot! for like $35, and claims:

720 HD Rear View Mirror Dash Cam records audio and video while you are driving
Easy installation requires no tools and attaches to your existing rear view mirror with expandable rubber clips
Always records when your car starts and will stop recording when motion is not detected
Built-in 2.4" LCD color screen directly on a 12x 3" rear view mirror with microphone and speaker
Requires a Micro SD card up to 32gb (not included)

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's not bad. I bought a couple fuse tap kits. You tap the ACC wire (on the Lukas type-C) to something that is only on while your car is on, and the B+ wire to something that's constantly on (tail lights, whatever). Definitely need a digital multimeter to figure out what is what though, and to figure out which side is the output.

If you have an aftermarket radio I'd say just wire it in to the adapter harness (you DID use an adapter harness, RIGHT?). Pretty much every radio has both constant and switched-on and they're typically really easy to get to.

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

One thing to keep in mind is that cigarette lighter ports have pretty notoriously lovely grounds, so if you have anything going anywhere near that circuit you're likely to need a ground loop isolator to keep it from feeding tons of noise.

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

wolrah posted:

I think modern crumple zones and such may be working against us on this one, with the minor overlap between the two vehicles on mostly non-structural areas. Add in the height difference between the vehicles and steering input turning the tire and it starts to make sense.

Totally agreed on open wheel, I am amazed when I see a pack of them running a coat of paint apart and somehow cars aren't just getting launched all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1gfvMidx7k

It's because they know how to loving drive a car

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Wouldn't be that hard actually. With a bit of setup on a phone app perhaps to link it, I don't see why this would be an issue.
One of the cameras I made in the past had a continual, configurable buffer for up to.. 2 minutes-ish. That was back before ram was dirt cheap.
The logic is still good though.

Depends on what you mean by flagged?

edit*

I am talking to my friend who I work extensively with, he thinks the 6-month timeline would be easily doable.

Any other features people find lacking in dash cams?

Something that records at least front/rear and uses common control/memory. Having a single brain that you could connect multiple cameras to would greatly simplify data collection and upload.

Maybe the possibility to expand to side cameras as well, so you can catch when some jackass tries to merge in to you and such.

Hell, making it so you have a common control/storage would allow you to reduce of the size of individual cameras significantly, which would give more options for mounting in more useful areas.

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

I wonder if being able to support sata, compact flash, or even standard SD might be a better idea than microSD, especially when you're talking about recording multiple HD capable video streams at a resolution that would be useful for most scenarios.

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

And that at least half of the pedestrians are actively trying to get hit by a vehicle so they can soak up that sweet PIP.

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

I prefer the one where the car stops, so the ped just jumps on the front of the car then bounces off and lies in the road like they've been injured.

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

Pimp Drakula posted:

Howdy dashcam thread, I browsed through a few pages of topics and figured this was probably the one most closely related to my question, so hopefully I'm in the right place. This year for Christmas I'd like to get my mother a backup camera for her 2009 Accord coupe, and was hoping there might be some knowledge overlap with dashcam expertise. I'd like something that won't require the user to provide a screen (for instance nothing that integrates via Bluetooth with a phone/tablet) or require anything beyond superficial modifications to the car (running a wire into the trunk or something is no big deal). I'm not sure whether this is something I should shop for on Amazon or if I'd have better pricing/selection in a specialty shop (either online or brick & mortar). Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on what to look for in an aftermarket backup camera?

There's a car audio thread that would probably be better for this purpose, buuuuut:

Pretty much all backup cameras just operate off of a standard RCA type cable, unless someone decides to be cute/proprietary with connectors (OEM). Even then it's usually just a weird connector they put on something that's still RCA, so there's usually adapters.

The FIRST thing we need to know is what type of in-dash the car has. If the existing car doesn't have a display you can patch a camera in to you're gonna need one.

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

Has anyone seen/experienced anything RE: Pioneer's dashcam?

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...meras/ND-DVR100

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Were you cursing with a child in the car?

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

opengl128 posted:

Yeah you really don't need to pay somebody to do this, especially not best buy who would find a way to do it wrong and/or break poo poo in the process.

They'll manage to find a way to cut and splice your radio harness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 10, 2009

So I'm kind of assuming these are trash,...

https://www.ebjabber.com/products/l...ZnVlH3W9EIW_r_g