Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wickerman posted:

That guy who passed had some bad luck, but I can't help but think passing a semi on a turn like that with no good field of vision, plus the roads being poo poo was probably not a good idea.

Driving in Russia is probably not a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kilersquirrel posted:

poo poo, that happened to me on 20 going to Arlington yesterday. Guy in a construction F-250 just parked it in the 2nd-to-left lane in 8 a.m. rush hour traffic and then started weaving back and forth halfway into the surrounding lanes. I got stuck behind him for a few minutes until a gap opened up to change lanes safely enough; turns out his hood had unlatched and flown up on him. Scary as hell when things go from 70+ to 0 in just a few hundred feet around a curve.

That's no excuse! I had a 1988 CRX hood fly open on the freeway and smash my windshield to bits. I stuck my head out the window IMMEDIATLY and kept going 75 until I could safely get over to the side.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

There have been a handful of cases where exactly that has been done, one was with school provided laptops taking pictures of kids in their bedroom, another was a rent-to-own outfit keeping track of any laptops they sold by turning the camera on at set intervals. Taping the camera is a valid defense, as there are proof of concept exploits where the camera can be turned on without the led being lit, even in cases where the manufacturer claims it's impossible.

That's completely based on how the LED is wired into the camera, and if the camera has a GPIO interface to the LED that you can hack.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

According to some posts on dashcamtalk the 60FPS mode on cameras is just doubling frames so is a waste of time. Don't know if that's universally true but I'd say is probably the case.

? It's 100% based off of what the camera sensor itself can do along with what processor is being used/ram/dma's setup/etc etc.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ltr posted:

Got two on one trip today. First on the video is someone blowing through a stop sign. You can barely see them do it, but they get what's coming to them.

The second one, they knew exactly what they were doing, watch their brake lights as they come to the red light. My only guess is that their car is so slow they can't stop or it will never get going again. After waiting, I followed them onto the freeway where I blew past them about 1/2 mile later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3atrek7nsc

You should probably stop at stop signs as well. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ltr posted:

Hah! I probably should. There was a bit of a rolling through there.

It's just not worth the risk. Just doing it in front of a cop having a bad day ONE time isn't worth all the half-seconds saved added up over all the years you did it. Not worth the hassle man, just not worth it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

I'm using a 64gb SanDisk card I had previously and it works perfectly even though the cam says up to 32gb.

After looking at the inner workings of the cam, there's almost no doubt in my mind it's running Linux, and probably a 3.0+ Kernel version. The base MMC stack of 2.6.32 has support for up to 64Gb.

128Gb cards are wired the same way, but the default filing system is exFat from the factory. FAT32 will work though just fine on them if you manually format it as FAT32. If the firmware isn't explicatly checking to make sure the card isn't over 64Gb (I am not sure why they would ever do this, that would be stupid), then use whatever card you want.

There is no wiring difference between SDHC and SDXC.

As such, use whatever card you drat well please is what I am saying, they *should* all work unless the firmware engineers are being stupid.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

That's what I figured. I had a half dozen 64gb cards lying around from a trip last year. I don't know why they claim 32gb. You'd think they'd wanna claim support for as big as they can. Probably just old manuals from when 32gb was the biggest available.

That and block sizes have a lot to do with it. If they aren't checking what block sizes the cards have before formatting you may be losing some speed when recording. No that it would matter in the slightest, but you may get a few frame drops at the end of the card.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tide posted:

Ordered two G1W's today; one for the wife, one for me. Wish there was a way to do live streaming with mine

If it recorded via rtsp it would be the perfect camera. :allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

Something funny I noticed is that I've got a 'battery full' icon on it when I've got it plugged in, even though I haven't put the battery in. :shrug:

Which is common, because the battery fuel gauge chip is reading load on the battery line.
No battery == no load == full battery.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I tried it with my Galaxy Note 2 for a short while but recording video, running GPS, and streaming bluetooth was more than it could handle. Performance got choppy in all three apps and it actually managed to trigger the thermal battery protection.

The drunks you share the road with - watch the left-hand side of the intersection just as the light turns green in my direction. What you don't see after he goes out of frame is that he kept driving next to me until I goosed it a bit, and stayed in the shoulder behind me (seriously angry that I gave it a bit of gas) until the very end of the video when he finally turned off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdp3jvQzSo

And you didn't call the cops why?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Isn't HEVC incredibly compute-intensive to encode? I doubt there are any dashcams with the balls to do that in realtime.

Somebody just needs to code up a fpga to do the work.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

This video is going around my Volvo circles right now, some guys in an S60R get lucky and spot a friend's stolen S60 and chase it down to a happy ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpwirJQnls

This video is great. Glad to see the driver of the stolen vehicle didn't wreck it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Hometown footage. This is cellphone video, but it sure would be entertaining if everyone else involved had dashcams, I'd love to see what I assume is white car chasing black truck at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4gFmw4V1Ow

They're probably all just mad they live in Houston :shobon:

Haha, she just couldn't keep her mouth shut at all could she? She HAD to get the last word in.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you people? Burden to yield is on the idiot merging in just about every state.

Tonnage though that dude had plenty of opportunity to move his steering wheel 5 degrees to the left and he didn't. He's a twat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Of course the Lexus comes to a complete stop and lays on their horn. :argh:

e: to contribute... still capture from my dashcam, click for bigger..

Broken side window? check
Tailgate won't close? check
:siren: WINDSHIELD HALF GONE WITH THE REMAINDER FLAPPING IN THE 60 MPH BREEZE? check :stonkhat:

texas.jpg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh, I have a ton of experience with streaming multimedia and product building.

Is a wifi enabled dashcam that can connect to a remote point in the car and save files there something people would really want?
I could literally make that product from start to finish and sell it in ~6 months.

*edit* I could even add RTSP if that's something people would find useful.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

If you could make it so that if you press a button on the dashcam and it posts the last 30seconds straight to Facebook/Twitter along with an emoji, then i would probably invest in your company with my life savings.

Wouldn't be that hard actually. With a bit of setup on a phone app perhaps to link it, I don't see why this would be an issue.
One of the cameras I made in the past had a continual, configurable buffer for up to.. 2 minutes-ish. That was back before ram was dirt cheap.
The logic is still good though.

Krakkles posted:

Option to upload all, upload flagged, upload flagged plus configurable period before after?

I'd pay a lot more than I've paid so far for dashcams for this.

Depends on what you mean by flagged?

edit*

I am talking to my friend who I work extensively with, he thinks the 6-month timeline would be easily doable.

Any other features people find lacking in dash cams?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 12, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Something that records at least front/rear and uses common control/memory. Having a single brain that you could connect multiple cameras to would greatly simplify data collection and upload.

Maybe the possibility to expand to side cameras as well, so you can catch when some jackass tries to merge in to you and such.

Hell, making it so you have a common control/storage would allow you to reduce of the size of individual cameras significantly, which would give more options for mounting in more useful areas.

Hrm, not a bad idea. We could use USB-C along with the imx6 processor to handle up to 4 cameras and stitch all 4 of them together during recording. What do you guys think?

CharlesM posted:

Can't comment on reusing the rear camera but Street Guardian is close to releasing a dual camera model, SG9663DC. They're generally regarded as having the best support on dashcam talk forums, and the developer actively posts there.

Interesting, I will look into them. Shame about the garbo processor though. I can't find any information on it so I am assuming a DSP or a chineese part.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys;

I am writing up an engineering specification for the dash cam right now.

Currently, for connectivity features, I have:
Wireless
- Bluetooth 4.2
- 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4ghz/5ghz
- Wifi Direct
Wireless will support:
- AP/WPA-E/WPA2 and WPS setup.

Wired
- USB-C

Other
9-axsis Accelerometer/Compass/Gyroscope module.
MicroSD card reader.

Software Features:
- Automatic sync to a NAS when connected to a pre-defined wireless network.
- User-configurable buffer up to whatever I figure out is the max.
- One push button to automatically upload the user-configurable buffer to Facebook/Twitter (to start) using your cell phone to do so.
- Automatically flag recordings to prevent them from being overwritten in the case of a sudden shock. (User defined)
- Any LED's will be user configurable to turn off or on.
- RTSP capabilities.
- Easy to configure using a web-interface (Android/iOS apps to follow after release)
- Standardized JSON-based API to write your own applets if you so desire.

I don't think an LCD screen is necessary for a first gen product. Especially since you will be able to
view the camera using any standard player that supports RTSP. This will reduce cost, both in engineering
and to the consumer.

I will also be using an automotive grade CPU to help prevent heat death.

For the second product, I really like the idea of having a central black box to record too that can be placed anywhere in the car.
That black box will have 4 USB-C ports on it that will allow you to connect up to 4 Dash cams, and stitch the video feeds together
before saving them.

As a side note:
If anybody is concerned about a IOT dashcam and security, I would agree with you. That's why all of these products will be running
Embedded Linux (I'm an embedded Linux engineer), with SELinux, and LibreSSL to start. I take great pride in making network connected
things as secure as they can be. I will also have a guaranteed 4 month product update cycle at a minimum, and any major CVE's will be patched
as soon as possible.

Anything else to add would be greatly appreciated!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Supercap (no batteries!) to allow for graceful shutdown when power is cut, and also not require an always-on power source. I assume it will be USB powered like most things?

Hrm, not a bad idea. It will indeed be USB powered. If I can get away with it I would like to not have a battery in the device if possible.
Extreme temperatures make batteries poo poo, and it makes customers poo poo all over you if the battery dies in 6 months even though
they leave the thing on with the windows closed in 120F temps.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
In fact, would it be a good idea to just make a thread about this?

I don't want to poo poo up this thread. :unsmith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you're going to support 5 GHz, why not add 802.11ac? I know it's a bit finicky, but it has the potential to have much higher transfer speeds.

Cost. I can get a module that supports a/b/g/n and bt 4.1 that doesn't have to be FCC certified.

I can't do that with ac (yet)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:catstare:

I guess I assumed FCC certification was required no matter what.

Fun fact: If it's a canned module that's already been FCC certified, you don't have to certify it. That saves me over 10,000$ right there.

Raluek posted:

When you can get a 256GB microSD, that seems kind of unnecessary? The only reason I could see significantly changing the interface is if you are writing so much data that you'd saturate the ~800mbps the card can do, but at even modest compression rates that should be fine.

Or am I talking out my rear end? :shrug: I just don't forsee exceeding the capabilities of microSD with what amounts to a cell phone camera, even if you have a few

Correct. I think I will leave the sata interface to the black box product.

I think I will make a new thread.

EDIT:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827126

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 16, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Please check my web blog for my latest hot take, a fiery treatise entitled 2 Way Stops VS 4 Way Stops: What's the Difference Really I Mean Come On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl5dr5CA2CU

I like that you saw it coming and decided to scare the poo poo out of him a bit.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrox posted:

One thing I learned from skateboards and bicycles is that you want to minimize the contact with asphalt as much as possible. So when you fall, tumble and move, never freeze up. Every second your skin is touching the pavement, the less skin you have. That skillset served me remarkably well during a 65 mph motorcycle accident.

I am afraid of motorcycles for this very reason. I have strapped my dumb teenage self into a 600HP 1991 CRX-HF with no roll cage before and had a blast, but a motorcycle? No thanks, I'm good. :v:

I had a friend in high school who crashed once on a motorcycle with just regular shirt and jeans on. He said the worst part about the accident was the hospital when they had to get the asphalt out of his skin. :gonk: He always wears full leather and jeans now, even in 100F heat. The scars on arms remind him to.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 16, 2018