Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not paranoia if they're actually doing it. :v:

I mean we've known for years that every single internet company is logging everything they can every time you hit their website, and in the last year we've learned that everyone's government is doing it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I've seen a few coworkers put tape over their work laptop webcams. I'd understand the concern if you're jerkin' it while on a conf call from home but a) there's an indicator LED and b) if anyone wants to watch me sit for 10 hours in an office chair, I'm more than happy to waste their time!

There have been a handful of cases where exactly that has been done, one was with school provided laptops taking pictures of kids in their bedroom, another was a rent-to-own outfit keeping track of any laptops they sold by turning the camera on at set intervals. Taping the camera is a valid defense, as there are proof of concept exploits where the camera can be turned on without the led being lit, even in cases where the manufacturer claims it's impossible.

Back on the subject of cars, there is no doubt that recorded footage will be used to investigate accidents. They already do it with data recorded by the vehicle electronics, having a video stream is the logical next step.

I sure as poo poo won't be buying a car that has manufacturer installed cameras.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Hahahahaha. Why didn't they just pull in front of you? It's a fundamental part of overtaking!

Poor spatial awareness, not enough time to check over their shoulder, panic caused by a pair of headlights staring them down, getting greedy and wanting to make a double pass.. all kinds of reasons really.

Here in the midwest I don't like pulling in front of someone until I can see their headlights in my mirror. Cars getting passed frequently see this as a challenge to their dominance and use it as an excuse to drop a brick on their gas pedal, which means I have to be super careful on entering their lane. It's trained me to not bother passing on 2 lane roads until I can see the lane is clear for a mile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plus it's fun to watch all the surprised faces in your rear view when they aren't prepared for someone to come to a complete stop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trouser chili posted:

The comments on the news article however, nearly put youtube to shame.

What amazes me is that apparently some of these people know each other and have reputations. There's a community of people who actually treat a local news station's website like it's the SA forum.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

That would be completely useless. If you actually needed to use footage to determine fault in most accidents chances are you would be stuck without the few seconds leading up to impact.

The clever ones always record, and when the accelerometer trips it flags some chunk of the history for permanent storage.

Obviously the problem at that point is keeping it powered, but I have seen solutions of that sort. I just can't name any right now. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

I know it's a dick move but I like to floor it and make those people jam on the brakes and block traffic, so they have to sit there in the intersection wallowing in their bad decision.

In Illinois, if it causes an accident you can be cited for not letting them through. Basically if someone is in the intersection before you, they always have right of way, no matter what kind of stupidity brought them there.

(They'll probably get a ticket for running a red light too, so there's that.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another use for dashcams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eU17LUrklg

(guy records service performed on his car, decides the dealer lied about the work that was done, and uploads it to the internet)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe next time don't enter an intersection unless you can clear it?

Granted he has an obligation to let you get out of the way once you're in the intersection, but he's justified with being annoyed at people obstructing when he has the green.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Extra posted:

So if someone turns left in front of you while you're going 40 MPH it's your responsibility to slam on your brakes, hopefully engage ABS if you have it, and if they get hit you're at fault? The only situation where you would not be at fault is if you entered the intersection before they started turning? I guess it makes sense then to swing a left whenever you feel like it on green as long as no opposite facing car has entered the intersection yet.

No, because the laws in most places state that people turning left are required to yield to oncoming traffic. Some places even have a sign at every stop light instructing this. That's the "out" for people who are cruising along and someone turns in front of them.

There's also generally rules about not entering an intersection unless you can drive through without stopping, so I don't know what the gently caress is up with people waiting to turn left who creep their dumb rear end halfway through the turn while they wait for a hole.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every few seconds that video gets worse and worse and worse. :stonk:

There's a total :3: at the end though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think it's a tire problem nearly as much as it is poor education.. inability to properly handle a fishtail means they zip the wheel back and forth trying to get straight and oscillate themselves into the ditch. Or they stand on the brakes and lock all four wheels, doing a pirouette into whatever's unfortunate enough to be in the way.

As for why they started sliding, looks like it's either snow or damp pavement.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ones that make me really uncomfortable are when they swerve into oncoming traffic and blow someone up. That poo poo's pretty scary.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's slightly amusing when I make a gap for a semi and some joker sees that as an opportunity to get 20 feet further up the road than they were and stuff their dumb rear end into the hole.. only to poo poo a brick when they notice a giant truck drifting into the space they're now occupying.

Sometimes they gun it and hope for the best, other times they jerk the wheel back the way the came, and the worst is when they jam on their brakes and make me drive even slower.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whelp it's settled folks, getting out of the passing lane allow faster traffic by is a terrible idea!

:goonsay:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know a lot of people hate it, but situations like that are why I slather rain-x all over my windows. It instantly clears water spray as shown in that video, that annoying as poo poo mist that semi trucks generate, slushy snow splatters, and it even clears the stuff coming from the sky!

Wipers just aren't fast enough to deal with sudden spikes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can get moments like that driving 294 in Chicago too.

It's a bit disconcerting even though it happens hundreds of times a day and nothing ever goes wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

As far as I know, these sorts of dashcams are supposed to have an infinite focal length, right? There's no reason to need to focus on anything up-close for an application like this, so there shouldn't be any moving parts inside the lens area... Do you think something could have been installed wrong, or something got knocked out of place?

Yes, even cheap fixed focus lenses have calibration that needs to be done when the device is being constructed.. differences in lens quality or manufacture can change the final adjustment.

So basically whoever assembled your camera messed up or forgot to do their job.

If you cracked it open you might even be able to fix it yourself, but if the seller is willing to replace it that's a much better solution.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Don't say poo poo. If they ask if its recording say no. That's it.

I sort of want a sticker that attaches over the driver's window that reads "conversations with the contents of this vehicle may be recorded for quality control purposes."

If it works for corporations it works for people, right? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The included power supply has generated a lot of complaints, it's a cheap piece of poo poo. So I'd suggest finding some way to replace that or at least isolate it as the cause with some jerry-rigged alternative.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Pros cut across gas stations to avoid waiting to turn right on a red.

Then eventually get a ticket because it's illegal almost everywhere!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

Which is their right, and it's your responsibility as a driver to let them.

It's not actually that simple. :ssh:

Once the pedestrian is in the road, yes, you gotta yield. But if they enter the road illegally (i.e., jaywalking) they can be cited as well. They don't have the "right" to just do whatever the gently caress they want. They just have the right to not be gibbed by a car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a few seconds of amusement to just go down the first page and report everything for hate speech.

I don't know if youtube actually polices that beyond deleting the comments but a guy can dream.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Excuse me while I go get some bulletproof glass to replace my windshield, and wear a goalie mask while driving just to be safe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I dunno I think trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle is a pretty good reason to scrape a guard rail. It is their fault for not executing the move perfectly because they're not a pro at Gran Turismo 5 or something though I guess.

Intuitively you're right but I'd put my odds on the traffic code being written otherwise with some mumbo jumbo about the operator of the Milan being at fault for not remaining in control of their vehicle. There's lots of stupid language about stuff like that.

I could see the truck driver getting a citation for aggressive driving or an illegal lane change but fault for the accident? Maybe if we lived in a just world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a story back when I lived in Alaska of a small Cessna-style plane that had to do an emergency landing on the Seward highway just outside Anchorage.. mountains on one side, water that kills you in 2 minutes on the other so the pavement was the only flat place to go.

The claim was that one of the cars that were on the road at the time actually had rubber from one of the plane's tires smeared perfectly down the center of the roof. I never saw pictures to prove it, but that was the tale.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bolind posted:

Also, how long can USB cables be before there's a voltage drop that becomes a problem?

If I remember right, six feet is the maximum specified by the standard. But in some cases (usually game controllers) twice that has been fine. But in other cases, especially using suspect low quality cables, 6 inches is too long.

So basically the only way to know if it's too long is to try and see what happens.

Or test the cable with a meter I guess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

murphle posted:

The standard matters if you're trying to push data over the cable. It's way less of a concern if you're just trying to get 5V up to a camera or GPS.

Tell that to my raspberry pi. :v:

Getting that poor thing a clean source of power was quite a chore. They probably shouldn't have use the usb spec for that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least in the Chicago region, they're really loving bad about marking double exit lanes on the highways. Several of them create a new lane marked EXIT ONLY that everyone rushes to cram in to, while the old rightmost lane is also an exit lane. The signs never indicate this so the only way to know is through experience.

Then to make it worse there's one spot where you instantly have to exit on the left which creates another mad scramble in the other direction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Top Gear demonstrated that recently in their Australia episode.. the cars they were driving went from 60-0 in like a quarter of the distance the UK standards mandate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ABS is used a lot more in areas that get real winters. Given how heavy vehicles have become and the fact almost no one runs winter tires, if there's any snow on the road it doesn't take much at all for ABS to start doing its thing.

Now whether it helps anyone stop in that case I can't say, if your tires are completely unsuitable for conditions there's not much ABS is going to be able to do except maybe shave off a few percent of your speed before you destroy someone's rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Coredump posted:

They might have clip in pedals and don't want to unclip.

That doesn't really help their case, bolting your feet to a mechanism with no freewheel capability seems like a recipe for being horribly maimed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe manufacturers are using super cheap springs in their toggles that make it easier to inadvertently turn on the high beams?

I've noticed on a couple newer cars I've been in lately the throw distance can be super small too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the upside, SanDisk provides a 5 year warranty on their SD cards and their customer support is good in the sense they won't hassle you about the problem. You call 'em up, get your RMA, then wait for the new one to be mailed.

SanDisk is the de-facto standard for DSLR's these days, obviously a dash cam has to deal with more temperature swings so maybe that's where the issues come from but they do make a good product.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The friendliest cats I ever met were orphaned at two weeks, mom got hit by a car and the kittens were rescued, bottle fed from that point.

We got to keep one of them, she never really grew up to be a "cat" and is still acts like a big fat kitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Recording GPS at this point probably won't hurt you more than anything else.. since last year all new cars were mandated to include a black box. Prior to that most cars sold in the last 10 years had it anyways.

If the vehicle is in a wreck the last 20 seconds of its life from 15 different sensors are available to whoever can plug their data scraper into your car. That should be plenty to put you away if they want to.

Police will also try to fetch your cell phone pinging off towers or ask your carrier for an activity log if they feel it's needed. Or rip your plates from toll booth cameras to estimate speed.