Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So looking through this thread, is the Street Guardian the non GoPro better recommendation with the Spy Tec MG380G as the ~$100 recommendation? Looking to get a dash cam, but not the cheapest on the market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So, read through the last few pages of this thread, and some stuff online. My wife just got t boned in an intersection (Yet she hit him somehow, guess she was driving sideways). We had a lovely dashcam but of course it got hot and fried. I've been waffling on these a bit, but I want to make sure I'm getting all the right stuff and some of the better stuff:

A119S
Polarizing film
Hardwire kit
SD Card

So the A119S is supposed to have the Sony CMOS sensor, which is supposed to be slightly better (Same price as the A119 so no reason not to). These seem to have issues with glare so I got the polarizing film with it. Then of course the hardwire kit to go directly into the fusebox and the 64GB SD card.

Any issues with these?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Thanks for that. It seems it's either that or the G1W, are there any other alternative cameras that are good? Price isn't a huge factor at this point, going to be using the money from the wreck to buy the new dash cam.

Heat resistance is big (so capacitors), and I would like good video quality.

Should I look outside of those two?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Who has experience with these?

Basically what is happening is the cam will start over and over for about 10 minutes then work fine for the rest of the drive, but it does it pretty much every time the car comes on. Is this a faulty adapter or me doing a lovely wiring job?

Basically is there anything I can check before sending it back?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

Holy poo poo you too? I've gone through 4 of these loving things and I've been convinced that my cameras (Mobius) are poo poo. I'm ordering this to try now

wolrah posted:

Which camera? My G1W does that if it's not happy with the power for one reason or another, and that included a cheap USB adapter, so it very well may be that cord at fault.

A119S. It's not the camera itself, it works fine on the power outlet power (When the adapter isn't pulling loose for whatever reason). So that's why I'm leaning toward that adapter thing. I can't find a Rexing that is a mini-USB though.

The only thing that I could possibly re do is the connection from the fuse bypass thing to the converter itself, but it's crimped pretty well (First time was "too well").

Laranzu posted:

Have a multimeter? Check your voltages and see if they are stable

I have a cheap one, but I lost one of the leads during a move. Pretty sure it's the converter.

e: after reading around a bit, I might just chop off the converter portion and replace it with this.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2017

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

wolrah posted:

That is probably a good call. Either that or a converter that gives you a full-size A socket which you could then use a high quality A to Mini-B cable with.

That is a 3A converter. I could probably run 2 or 3 off that and not have issues. They do have bigger ones, but I definitely don't need those.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Tell me what I want to do!

Currently I have a Viofo A119 (v1? s? something like that) from like 2017. I pulled the video off and realized that the caps are busted and it's not writing the videos off correctly after powering down. Cam has worked very well until now, and we've even used it a few times. (Most recent idiot on a spyder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muwqiXDur94 -- Yes, he was alive, and was fighting tooth and nail NOT to get carried off by the ambulance). However, with the cam not working as expected, it's time to replace it. I know the Viofo is a commonly recommended dashcam, but I was wondering if there was anything else that we could look at in the way of an upgrade. I'm debating taking her to a dual camera, which means I'll probably have to upgrade the current USB from Mini B to whatever they're using (Probably won't be lucky enough for a C).

Any other options out there? I'm much less worried about price than I used to be, but the A119 has been pretty good to me, so may stay in that family unless there's something considerably better.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Any real reason to get the A119 Mini 2 over the A119v3? I already have the older v1, so it already has the power supply, but wasn't sure if the mini2 had some super feature that the other didn't. I see it's got a better lens, plus voice capabilities, etc, but any reason I'm completely missing beyond that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

XYZAB posted:

I just finished installing this and tucking all the cables under the trim in my car not five minutes ago. I've had it hooked up and running flawlessly for the last week after the Viofo I ordered was a total piece of poo poo and got sent back. Once I was happy knowing that the 70MAI wasn't going to suck rear end straight out of the box as it sat with cables dangling everywhere since last weekend, I figured I wouldn't be returning it. So far I am neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. It's cool to have a rear camera, and it sees through dark tint really well, but a dashcam is a dashcam is a dashcam so long as it works consistently and reliably. License plate readability is pretty terrible so far, even in decent lighting conditions, but I did install this custom firmware a few hours ago to see if it doesn't help at all. I won't be able to report on that for a day or two though, and I guess I'll have to read any plates out loud for the mic to pick up as per standard practice for the last 7 years with these things.

Also, it's probably worth it to mention that if you or your sister have never installed something like this, you might want to budget to have someone do the work of running all of the wires through the fuse box and up through the trim for you, because I know what I'm doing and it was still a major pain in the rear end on a 16 year old Pontiac. It'll probably be an hour shop time at any reasonable garage, plus fuse taps or even the parking surveillance cable that I see is sold separately and won't let me engage that mode without it. :argh: I can imagine someone with little to no DIY skill receiving this kit as a present and being happy about receiving a dashcam, then either seeing what's involved in setting it up and just deciding to not even try it, or trying to get by with cables dangling all over the place only to in-relatively-short-order get frustrated with how messy it is and decide to get rid of it. But that probably goes for most dual dashcam systems and wouldn't necessarily be attributable to this one alone.

oof, this concerns me. Which Viofo did you get, and what was wrong with it? I just ordered an A229 plus. I've had the A119V1 and now the A119 Mini2 and haven't had any real problems with them. e: took some time and went through your posts and saw it was the A119 mini2, which I have and had almost 0 issues with.

However, the 229 has the front and back cam and I'm putting it in my SUV (Subaru Ascent), and was wondering how people handled putting the camera on the back glass. I was debating running a connection at the back window so I could replace the wire if necessary but didn't know if that was overkill. Otherwise I am going to just pull it through the roof trim, and give enough slack so it will be loose when the door is open, and hopefully not dangling. I didn't know if people thought that the opening/closing would break the wire/connector causing me to have to replace it or if I'm just overthinking it.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 14, 2023