Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

A few days ago, I picked up my Mobius Actioncam. My first noteworth video would have been recorded a few days ago, when I caught the fireworks of a branch getting too close to a power line. Would have been, anyway, because I had failed to properly insert my memory card.

But today, I got opportunity number two, shown below. It's worth noting that when my light turns green, the oncoming turning lane light is already red.

Language not for the faint of heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ihg-vpVn8A

The Mobius is a fine camera, but it looks farther away than it actually was. But for that, you get a wider view of the world. If you're looking for a dash cam, consider this a recommendation for the mobius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

El Jebus posted:

I love that it starts off with "the legal system sucks."

That would have been much funnier. In reality, I was talking about a gas saving program between two local grocery stores. The Ingle's system is the lesser of the two.

And if I had a car and cash to spare, I would be quite willing to throw myself out there and let the offending moron eat that bill. Problem is, I I would have to live without a car in the mean time. Can't do that right now.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Wickerman posted:

Have you ever thought about doing radio? Maybe it's just the cam, but I think you could pull it off.

I have entertained the idea, I've been told I have a "gentle" voice. There's a local station I almost volunteered to do overnight for, but I started school and nothing came of it.

I do have the face for the job, though....

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

Picked up a G1W like in the first post off Amazon for $55/shipped. It arrived Friday. I was on my rear end in bed all Saturday birthing another loving kidney stone so I finally got to test it out for real today. On the way home from the LEGO store I encountered an E39 that decided my shiny white Abarth was invisible. He looked me right in the loving eye then tried to pull out in front of me. I like that Fiat didn't skimp on the horns in the 500s. They really let those idiots know you are displeased with their antics.

As for the video quality, I'm fairly impressed for a $50 camera. And I no longer need to remember to turn it on/off, it does its thing when I start/stop the car. I was previously using a GoPro Hero3 Black which is a drat fine camera but is really obvious thief bait hanging in the window. I wanted something more inconspicuous.

Good reflexes on you and your co-pilot there. You both saw it before I did.

And 50 bucks for the camera? Good deal. I'm curious though, how fast were you going there? Not that the BMW was in the right, but it looks like you were really moving. It's probably just because your camera is mounted lower to the ground.

Good luck with your piss rock.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 17, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

Yes, it does. I had the same concern. I was planning on making a mount from my pile of GoPro spares if it hadn't.

Now that's a nice bonus over the mobius, where you have to get the mount extra. That, and the screen is a nice touch.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

subx posted:

Alright so I bought a cam, what's the best way to route power?

if yours is like mine and runs on USB, you can get an adapter for your cigarette lighter/power outlet like what I've done. I also snaked a 10 foot usb cable around my dash and windshield to keep it out of sight and mind.

Do yourself a favor and buy the USB adapter in person from a local store. I tried getting a cheap one form amazon and got burned with a counterfeit, so I nabbed a new one from CVS: a Duracell with 2 usb ports. You can find long enough cables online, or at the goodwill if you're lucky. I picked up this for myself: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00112BA78/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Man, that thing looks great. I think i'll pick one up soon.

You'll be happy you did, i absolutely love mine. It will cost extra to get the windows mount, and finding a cable long enough can be a pain, but after the initial install, it's a lovely little camera.

A word of warning: if yours stops recording and lights blink wierd, it's possible that your cable isn't delivering the juice that the camera needs. I had a 10 foot cable I bought off of amazon, and it wasn't supplying enough energy to keep the camera working. Maybe it was a bum cable, I don't know, but I swapped out for a shorter one and a usb extension, it works much better now.

The software is real nice, you can tell the camera to record upside down, and disable audio recording if thats your thing. I don't recommend it, you can always shout out car descriptions on the fly.

It also records loud expletives real well, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6yF4EX4_g

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Will the Mobius lock files if impact is detected?

I really like it's feature set, but I feel like that's a must have because I'm concerned I might forget to stop the camera if something like that happens.

Unfortunately, no. That would be a good one, but the mobius doesn't have a way of feeling an impact.

However, there are two work-arounds.

First, as long as you haven't replaced the battery with a supercapacitor, the camera can continue recording for ten seconds after power off. I would like it to record up to 20 or even 30 seconds, and this is a setting they probably could implement in a future update, but I don't want to put the effort into joining their forum to make that request.

Second, another setting can allow overwriting of oldest video files on the memory card. This way, you can continue recording without having to wipe the card yourself.

When you put these together, you can see how the camera can continue recording after a crash, or at least 10 seconds afterwards. If you're hooked up to battery, the camera will continue recording and may possibly (after many hours) overwrite an accident video. This is why I keep mine connected to the ACC line. Its not perfect, but it works in my installation. For the amount of money I put up, I think this is a fair feature set.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

The first day I received my Mobius I managed to lose the lens cap. I've managed to keep the lens safe from damage so far, but I'd certainly like to find a replacement that doesn't come from China.

I got three when I got my camera. Drop me a line at -------------------------- and I'll see about sending you one of mine.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 2, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

The Locator posted:

Yep, that's pretty much it. Still can't see why Krakkles thinks I pulled a stupid traffic move in this.

You can sit still and catch someone running a red light, and someone somewhere will find a way to blame you for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbsyudrcsk

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Mobius has an option to disable the blinking led completely, but it's not a very bright one to begin with.

And am I the only Mobius driver that has to bring the camera in for a recharge about once every two weeks? I've missed some good stuff because the battery drains out on me. Maybe my power outlet isn't putting out enough juice, I should check on that.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

And that's what Dash Cams are all about, Charlie Brown.

tuna posted:

They were an elder couple

Ya don't say!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

The truck was trying to pass on the right through the merge lane. gently caress him.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Chinatown posted:

That's not a merge lane though. Not at fault regardless.

So the fact that the lane is for merging into that bigassed highway immediately to the left disqualifies it as a merge lane?

E: I see it's an exit lane. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 12, 2014

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

I've got USB hard wired to keyed ignition. Just need a camera that I can bolt in.

I've got a similar set up and use a Mobius. The only down side is that it doesn't supply all the power I wish it had, and I have to bring it in for a charge once every 2 weeks or so.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

superscumbag posted:

I did. Got the bus number and the time stamp is correct

Now send it to your local news and wait for things to get interesting.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Looks like my dashcam's sound has crapped out, but video still working.

55mph access road, left two lanes are turn only (Uturn & regular left). Not unexpected for people to realize they're in the wrong lane coming off the highway and dart over, but this person had came from the far right lane originally, into a turn lane. When they came over I braked but figured they'd keep going straight vs. stopping at a green light. When I passed later they looked me and looked confused why I was honking at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYNIUgYDg0

Wouldn't have been a problem if you weren't hogging the left lane.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

You see that car that comes by? I just passed them before the video starts. On the left. Not enough time to move over safely.

I know. I'm really just proving a point. Almost every video that's been posted as of late has a hoard of people jump on the cammer with complaints just like that. But those critics weren't sitting in the seat and have no context for the event their critiquing.

Cameras don't show what's going on behind us, and they also don't show distances the way we see them (fish-eye lenses and such). So we get armchair quarterbacks that dismiss the most obvious offender and jump on the camera man.

Everybody drives in the left lane sometimes. We could be passing traffic that's just a little slower than we like, getting ready for an exit ahead, or simply because we're lazy and nobody else is around to require us moving aside. But the armchair quarterbacks won't have any of that, they're the batman of the streets: the bringers of asphalt truth and justice. It just annoys me that the most egregious offenders (like the idiot in your video, could have caused a major accident. Goddamn...) get a pass or even excused away because of the slightest perceived, possibly non-existant, wrongdoing of the cammer.

Sorry to use your post as a soap box, but at least that's out of my system.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

davebo posted:

You're making poo poo up, no one excuses the people who cause accidents, but it's pretty pointless to rant at them in this thread because those people aren't reading this thread. Sometimes people are just in the left lane when they really don't need to be out of habit, and mentioning it is all it takes to plant the seed in their head that hey, maybe I don't need to be in the passing lane all the time. And if they get upset that they didn't show us enough before-the-incident information in the video they posted then they have the power to post more video, but that's hardly something we can control.

Whatever you say batman.

E: You know what? You're right. It is pointless to rant at the guys that would never see this thread, and hints given when they're due does make a better driver. How else is anyone going to learn unless someone tells them otherwise? It's much better than learning the hard way. As for blaming the camera man for the accident, that happens mostly on reddit. That was one of the many things that made me realize that community sucked. After seeing it happen so much it just really pissed me off.

Sorry for being a dick. I gotta remember to keep cool.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 14, 2015

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Now I'm starting to think I have a dud. I've had intermittent shut offs or missing recordings on my Mobius since day one. Sometimes, the camera won't turn on and stay on, and lately it's intermittently failed to record video. I was on battery, so I installed a capacitor and new memory card, but it only recorded 3 seconds of my last outing. Maybe my wiring is bad, I'll have to check that out.

Might be time to order a new one.

And checking the latest video, my date is reset to 1/1/12, so my wiring must be bad.

Final E: Yup, bad USB cable.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 7, 2015

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I had the same thing, and it turned out to be a bad USB cable. Try swapping yours our before you dump a lot of money on the problem.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b592RWpaXwI

Sucks to be this guy, it's rainy and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Not only is it a bystander effect, people just take time to process stuff. I think i saw it on one of those brain games shows that we live practically 3 seconds in the past. I also heard that soldiers can take up to 7 seconds to realize they are under sniper fire, but i don't have a readily available source so that could be bullshit. It takes a few moments for the brain to catch up. I can only imagine that it takes a few moments more to process what happened and kick on the response.

I remember riding with my mother down the street and she randomly freaked out. I looked up in time to see the zap of a power line, but didn't see anything else. She shoved the phone in my hand and told me to call 911. I was still on the phone talking to dispatch giving them my location, but i didn't know what it was for. Turns out a highschool kid skipped class to play fast & furious. He hit a woman checking her mail and cart-wheeled into a phone pole. Anyway, I was on the phone for a good 10-15 seconds before i realized a serious accident had occurred. No, she didn't make it.

It's not that people are sitting there waiting for someone else to move first, though I'm sure that happens once people notice that something serious has gone down. In those first 15-20 seconds, i think the brains were just processing what had happened.

It's easy for us, we're watching a video expecting some poo poo to go down.