Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Everyone will be a model driver for the next 2-3 weeks.

And the one time someone is truly reckless in the cameras field of view you'll find out you didn't turn the camera on :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Been meaning to upload an example of the SJ1000 action camera footage, this was from my commute home last month and is pretty representational of drivers around here. 90% of the footage I have is people failing to yield or failing to hold a lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOgt-SK7xCA
In 1080p the quality is good enough that you can read numberplates, you should be able to see that at the end of the clip. I've got it hardwired to the bikes battery since the battery that came with the camera stopped holding a charge after about 3 months. You can probably hear the rattling, the hard case is not as snug as it could be so it lets the camera move around a bit.

My partner is now looking for a dash cam for her car but she really wants a rear facing camera as well, has anyone had any experience with dash cams with multiple cameras? All else fails we'll just get two G1W's and mount one facing out the rear window but it'd be nice to be able to just use a single unit.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I use Avidemux cause my dashcam uses an odd combination of codecs and containers and this lets me transcode the audio and change the container at the same time as I trim/combine clips.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Axim posted:

I can't believe its this difficult to get a good problem free dashcam. I looked into the mobius as was suggested here, and I did not want to mess with its configuration and such. If only someone would make a custom firmware for the garmin that increases the bitrate to 12 or 15 like the G1W and removes the stupid mass storage prompt when using a non-garmin usb cable.

Easy way to fix that is to cut the USB cable at some point and solder the power wires red to red and black to black, then solder all the data wires (usually green and white) into a single connection. I'm guessing you have a 12v > USB adapter designed for apple devices but your garmin expects a USB charging spec compliant outlet. (I just pulled my 12v adapter apart and bridged the data pins with solder.)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Had this wonderful experience the other day. It's fairly common for people to run red lights at this intersection, though usually not this late after it's turned and not while someone is near stopped at the loving intersection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT0naTPRSls
If you look at my shadow you can see me checking my mirror as I slow down, the SUV was well behind me when I started braking but wasn't really slowing which was making me nervous. At the end of the clip they pull into a bottle shop :v:.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've got the SJ1000 and it works pretty well, but if you can get the SJ4000 for roughly the same price you should get it instead. They appear to share the same internals just with a different form factor, and being able to use gopro accessories would make it much more useful.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

He didn't. No one looks, they just swing wide and gently caress it if anyone happens to be in that lane already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It looks like the rear glass has been smashed and the straps are hooked somewhere in the interior...