Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

poo poo like that is scary. Nice reaction though, not the typical 'panic stop' that would have gotten you into a wreck (probably).

Should have had the audio on so we could have heard your stream of thought. :v:

OH JESUS loving poo poo CHRIST YOU loving RETARDS ARE GOING TO loving KILL ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :tizzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

The best/worst part: my GM was directly behind me (reasonable following distance; I was doing about 30, he was about 3 car lengths back).

I mentioned to him today. He asked what I was talking about, so I showed him the video. He was busy texting his girlfriend at the time :arghfist::downs:, so if I had panic stopped, I would likely have been spit roasted by two Corollas. :haw: (at least, I think the oncoming car was a Corolla)

I don't remember saying anything except ":wtf:", then forgetting about it and turning the radio up.... then realizing a few blocks later "wait..... did that just happen?".

Nah, that was tonight, local MLS team had a home game. Stadium is just down the street from work... :argh:

e: maybe I should turn the mic back on..

You should definitely turn the mic back on. Half the reason I sub'd this thread was to hear angry goons curse idiots.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

It goes much, much quicker if you upload a low-profile mpeg 4 video at 30fps, that way it doesn't have to do any conversion.

Seconding this. If you're using WMM output to 1080p in movie quality. Do NOT use the stock YouTube converter as the quality is absolute poo poo. You still get a nice compact file for quick uploading.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Can we not do this, or is that too much to ask of goons?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Dashcam thread: Catching Kittens Globally :3:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

Ok, so I bought the Aukey DR-H2 and finally had some time to get the wiring set up. Jeep/Chrysler is stupid and doesn't use a normal fuse box anymore, so I had to get a little creative. Anyway, that's all set up. However, I'm still stuck on how to mount this thing. It's going to attach to the plastic trim at the top of the windshield. Here's the complicating factor: I have to be able to easily remove it. It has to be removed before I can get through the gate at work (also in certain areas when I've got the top removed). Velcro and similar fasteners would probably be fine, but wear out pretty quickly and will collect dust which pops free and will go right into the camera when I rip it free, so those are out. My other idea was just a small sheet of lexan/ABS plastic (I've got some scrap that's big enough) to fit between the camera and the trim. Aukey provided some 3M adhesive tape, but I live in a place that spent 2 weeks below 20*F this winter and is already over 100 for probably the next two months...I'm not confident it'll hold up. I could use JB Weld or something to stick the plastic to the camera, then maybe a dual-lock fastener (similar to velcro) on top, but that will still require replacement every few weeks.

I don't care about drilling holes or whatever, I already drilled one for the wiring (it has a quick-disconnect about an inch from the camera, which is awesome). Trying to find quick disconnect fittings basically just gives me hood pins and some kind of goofy JDM rubber bands for bumpers (?).

http://www.proclipusa.com/accessories/locking-move-clips/locking-move-clip-accessories.aspx

I spend a rather inordinate amount of time looking around for generic quick-release systems with flat plates for mounting things, and this is the best I could come up with that has a locking feature. I considered a rotary mount but then it might precess out of the locked position depending on how much vibration you'd get, so I stuck to looking for slide locking mounts.

There's a ton of generic camera-tripod interface mounts that you could buy but they're all expensive as hell because ~photography~. If you find a cheapie one that you don't mind destroying (you'd have to remove the camera body screw stub) you could adhesive-mount the camera to the plate and adhesive- or screw-mount the base plate to wherever.

Good google search terms are "quick release bracket", "quick release plate", "quick release mount", "slide bracket", things like that. I couldn't tell you what you'd want or be willing to work with but that proclip system was the best thing I found that wasn't something camera-related you'd have to modify.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 15, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love how she doesn't even move her head in the slightest while he's honking. Either she is blind as a bat, or she is ignoring him for some dumb reason.

"If I ignore the problem it's not really there"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That... that's a suicide, right? Christ.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

So far so good with my A118-C. Haven't checked the rear one's card yet, but I double check that the screen is at least showing realtime video every time I start the car.

Enjoy, the dumbasses I shared the road with over the last few weeks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTkHJQSfbFs

(still uploading, may not work for a few minutes)

I clicked this without looking at the username. The profanity clued me in, but I didn't really know it was you until you hopped the sidewalk :classiclol:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BMW 6-cylinder?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

This quarter's No Prisoners comp of bikes eating poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gEpBDTw4w

:nms: :nws: There is no quality control. About half the clips are of riders going around gentle curves and just laying their bikes down, lots of speeders plowing into cars making left / U turns, and every once in a while a child gets thrown under a bus' tires :( I still think these are worth a watch to anyone who rides a bike, or if you want to better understand where and how a catastrophic motorcycle fuckup can happen to/on your car.

It's not a QC thing, that's just what NP is. It shows that sometimes dumb poo poo just happens, and that sometimes it leads to gory, painful death.

You should come to a CA NP online watch party

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

I imagine any crafty attorney would immediately question why you'd do that.

4th and 5th amendment? Discovery goes only from prosecution to defense.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

From the gif thread:

"What a loving rear end in a top hat" indeed.

That dude is about to have an insurance nightmare

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nm posted:

Also, the US has made being litigious such a dirty word, no one will even talk to a lawyer unless they lost a limb or something.

Yup. I have to tell people to lawyer up all the time. "Naw man, I don't wanna do all that" okay then bud you can kiss that $1000 goodbye because he won't pay you unless you make him pay your lawyer too.

Then again, I was raised by a pack of lawyers, took my own brother to small claims over $800, and currently have two open cases for $100 and $300.

I needs my money dammit

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Edit this is a dumb derail

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 20, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Seriously. I suggest you package up your collection of videos and send them to the administrators of that school. They need to blast the parents to knock that poo poo off.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The cops will come out and ticket everyone dropping their kids off here due to the no parking signs a couple times a year, and that scares them into going through the proper carpool line, but they slowly stop after a while.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 19, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
All things considered I think that went as well as could be expected

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

maybe go for a walk or something

That just reduces the geographical scope of the problem

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

fknlo posted:

People don't give a gently caress any more. Do you know how many people will sit there and watch videos on their phone in our break room with no loving headphones? What the gently caress is wrong with you? I need to hunt down something super annoying to crank up when they do it instead of just leaving the room.

Leekspin?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

I'm not sure what state this happened in, but the flashing yellow turn signal had me thinking Texas. I'm not sure what other states do that, though.

Flashing yellow turns are starting to make their way into Florida as well. Nice QoL improvement.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Whereas I turn the radio down and yell at my passengers to shut the gently caress up.

"What? What's going on?"

"My car made a noise, dammit!"

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 7, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FGL63X/?pldnSite=1

How long would a camera similar to that last on a portable charger like this one? My work truck just plain doesn't have a 12/24V socket to plug into.

Is your work truck your property? I'd recommend you wire in a USB power source to the fuse box before relying on one of those for a dashcam.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It isn't, and there's a decent chance that if I asked (again) for the port to be fixed, they'd just remove something else instead and tell me it's fixed. Thanks for the answer, though.

My bad. It ought to run it no problem.

Dashcamtalk posts seem to say a couple watts for consumption, so napkin math at 5v says like 12h on a 5Ah battery.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh, sorry if I seemed dismissive or anything, I was genuine in my response. 12h is way more than I would need so that might work!

No worries! I hadn't actually provided a meaningful response for your situation (which is why I asked about ownership of the vehicle; I'm 100% with you on not loving with poorly maintained fleet vehicles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm probably an outlier here, but I have been very happy with my Garmin DriveAssist 51. Then again I do a lot of delivery poo poo so my use case is slightly different that just "record what's going on".

The VIRB app absolutely sucks rear end though. Ad-hoc Wifi video transfers have a transfer rate that I could swear is from the dialup era.