Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg24tzLV_I

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Linux Fairy posted:

Last night, on the drive home from a Christmas Eve evening at a friend's place in the city, I got my first real scary footage on my dashcam (a Mini 0805). And to top it off, I wasn't even driving at the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqh94Js15yw

Vehicle at full stop with hazards on in #4 lane for unknown reason, vehicle about to exit the highway does not see the stopped vehicle, and causes a quartering rear-end impact at ~60MPH (no brake application before impact). Everyone walked away, according to the cops who came to take my statement (the little old lady in the SUV was reportedly "feeling a little stiff", and I imagine quite a lot more so this morning...).

The bonus here is that Rick, who was driving, had had a total of 5 minutes behind the wheel of my car (a Genesis Coupe) before he had to make this maneuver (you can hear us talking about the steering feel just at the beginning). He and I had both done a car control clinic with the BMWCCA Golden Gate Chapter a few months prior (he in his mk7 GTI, and I in the Genesis), in which this was very specifically one of the skills practiced -- and now I am sure glad that we did!

Why...why didn't you stop?

Like, as in pull over to the side of the road, set up a warning sign, hazards, check on the crashed folks?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Linux Fairy posted:

The shoulder there was about 3/4 of a car wide on a badly-lit section of the highway; stopping would have exposed us and other motorists to another potentially dangerous situation. You'll note also that we were doing freeway speeds, and so by the time we were clear of it, we'd have to go backwards a pretty substantial distance on a freeway that wasn't closed yet in order to get anywhere near them. What we could have done there is pretty limited, too: I don't carry flares or a bright orange warning sign in my trunk, and setting them up anyway would require being a pedestrian on an active freeway without blues & twos to protect me (not a good plan!). Objectively, calling 911 and waiting at a gas station to provide a statement and hand over a copy of the video was the safest and most useful thing thing to do.

But the reality of it is that we weren't thinking about any of that. It's really easy to fake-stammer something from the other end of a keyboard, but when you're actually confronted with that kind of situation and you're full of adrenaline, the instinctive reaction is to get some distance between you and whatever the threat is, and that's a difficult interject to override.

I've been in similar situations multiple times, one unfortunately didn't go as well.

But I guess I massively overestimated the size of the shoulder, and it looked to me like the wreck and the involved cars blocked off almost the entirety of the right side of the highway.
You are absolutely right, there was no feasible way to stop there without endangering yourself or others.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

bolind posted:

Points deducted for following too close and not paying attention, but points awarded for keeping the shiny side up and not hitting anything/anyone.

Hopefully the very puckered rear end in a top hat for the next three days served as a lesson.

:lol:

This is America, dude

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've browsed through a couple of dashcam forums/reviews and this thread, seems like I'll pull the trigger on the A129 either Pro or Plus Dual. The one thing I couldn't find definitive answers for is whether I can run the cam from a USB power supply instead of 12V.
I'll look at the data sheet to see how much they pull and then check with my car's wiring. The only posts I could find recommending against it indicated that "USB doesn't supply enough power", but were from around 2014-2018 (iirc one or both of my front console USB-C outputs are 2A, 2021 Leon).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ausgezeichnet posted:

My A129 is plugged into a 2A dual-USB cigarette lighter outlet under the dash. It shares duty with charging my iPhone, so you should be OK.

I figured out a way to sneak the power cable into my middle armrest compartment thing while still being invisible to the eye, and since the A129 already came with a dual USB adapter for the 12V outlet, I figured I'd just chill, since this is actually a less visible solution than what I initially had in mind.
Impressed with the camera so far, video quality in well-lit/lowlight situations is excellent, quality in darkness gets impacted quite a bit by the glare of headlights, but I anticipated as much from reviews.

Two things I didn't anticipate:
- The amount of Fremdscham (at the expense of my own drat self, no less) due to the audio feed. Yeah, I've stopped singing along to whatever song I'm blasting as soon as I hit the button, but that doesn't erase the fact that I was singing in the previous 30 seconds of the clip the camera is now saving. :cripes:
- I completely misunderstood the way the "loop-recording" function works despite watching several reviews. I had assumed the standard recording method is "fill the SD card with clips of whichever defined length until it's full and then overwrite it starting with the oldest clip", and thought "loop recording" was AN ADDITIONAL function to just define a length of clip that would be ONLY saved if you push the button, meaning that the cam essentially continuously just buffers, but doesn't permanently save

Dunce cap on my head for not making the connection that the camera would have to have considerable onboard storage/RAM for that to be feasible. So now I have a 256GB micro-SD card, and at around 400MB per minute (front&rear cam footage combined), my cam can now store 600+ minutes or 10+ hours of footage, which makes me run afoul of the law over here a bit.

So now I'm planning to turn my apartment upside down to find an old UHS-I 16/32GB card I can put in it and then I'll just use the 256GB one for my Switch or something.

tl;dr:
good cam, dumb user

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Brut posted:

Huh? What kind of law is that?

The DATENSCHUTZGRUNDVERORDNUNG (DSGVO) does not allow for permanent, non-occasion-related "surveillance" (occasion-related in this case being something like a g-sensor saving a recording or you hitting the button in a crash).
Loop-recording (the way everyone outside of my dumb-rear end understands it) is in a sortakinda grey area since it's over-written, but the only way to be "as compliant" with the law as you can is to have a camera that saves (actually saves, not only "locks") footage only in an "occasion-related" case.

Having an SD card capable of storing up to 10 hours of footage before it's over-written puts me into the darkest-possible end of the loop-recording grey area, which I'd like to avoid.

Pretty bummed that I brain-farted out on those details when doing my research.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

Strikes me more as one of those "Oh, and while you're already in poo poo for this other thing, what's that?" arrangements

Sorta, I want to make sure I'm as clean as possible so as to not offer any surface area to either a disgruntled cop that couldn't find anything else on a traffic stop, or a guy rear-ending me and looking to share in the poo poo he's in.
Incidentally, I was rear-ended somewhat mildly three weeks ago (guy in a commercial van decided green at the traffic light means you get to floor it even if you have folks in front of you not flooring it), and the other guy was very non-confrontational about it, offering his insurance info and all, but it's the first confrontation a) in my first new car that I actually shelled out some proper money for and b) in a metropolitan area with notoriously lovely drivers, which is also why I decided to pull the trigger on a dashcam.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That and presumably surveillance that breaks the law isn't admissible in court, potentially defeating the purpose of having a camera.

This is actually something that our supreme court already ruled on, opining that the significance and admissability of dashcam footage can not be dismissed outright based on our personal information protection laws and is thus admissable in court on a case-by-case evaluation basis. Ironically, in the very same precedent, they laid down that the continuous surveillance/permanent storage of the footage ist verboten, and if you do that you may be subject to a proper Versohling of das Schwanzenheimer.

So it's essentially a not-so-fine line of "don't be a dick with your dashcam and only submit footage when the evidence of proof is explicitly needed because of personal injury (monetary or otherwise)" you have to walk.
I'm assuming you'll walk that more convincingly (if ever under scrutiny) if you don't have the capability to store enough footage on a card to keep a dash-cam-YT-channel afloat for a full month.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I got the A129 Pro Duo based on recommendations in here and I'm 100% satisfied with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Page is blocked in the UK and I assume the rest of Europe. Direct link to the video on YouTube here.

Jeeesus Christ :catstare: