Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

revmoo posted:

I want a car DVR that mounts under a seat and lets me run 3+ bullet cameras to different areas of the car and will record for 1+ hour after parking the car. Anything like this out there?

This is what I want, and no, not really. I'm guessing a year or so until something like this comes out and doesn't suck. Is it so much to ask to have something I can leave permanently installed without worrying about it getting stolen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Whoops! Not really sure how that happened, I blame all the snow and ice we've had lately. Luckily there was nobody behind me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJVJ_2oIsJ0

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh poo poo, thank you. Been looking for something like this forever. I just want something tiny and discrete I can leave installed.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Watch the E46 on the right. She had about an inch to spare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlMEmJ9XQwE

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finally picked up a dash cam after way too many near misses with lunatics on the PA turnpike. This guy: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Dashboard-Supercapacitor-Nighttime-Recording/dp/B072FGL63X

Really pleased with it so far. Simple set up, good picture quality. Only gripe is the tape they included is light grey so is super visible from outside the car. I need to get my windshield replaced so when I do I'll try to source some black tape.

Install was easy peasy, I even had a factory wire channel behind the rear view I was able to route the wire through and up into the headliner. I need to install a hardwired USB port off an ignition switched fuse, my cigarette lighter is always on.

View from the driver's seat:

Better view of the camera:

And the view:

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 15, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nah I’ve already got a hardwired 12v to USB adapter to install. Just using the cigarette adapter until I do. I like a nice clean install with no visible wiring.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ahh yes, that is the good stuff.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nitrox posted:

It seems that many Australians are just as confused about their lane orientation as I am

Wow you weren't kidding. What the heck is going on down there

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Why cars don't do the same has always baffled me, battery getting low? Disconnect non essential taps.

GM does (or did) have a battery saver mode that does exactly that

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been running this one for around 8 months now, no complaints. Footage looks good and otherwise just sits there doing its thing. I like that its relatively discrete without a big screen hanging down. I think I paid $50 and I've seen it on sale a bunch for a little less so keep an eye out for that https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

4K of bad-sensor, bad-optics recording may have 4K of pixels but can still look like blurry garbage.

And that's assuming its not just upscaled from 1080P which is what I'd expect to see.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

We got a badass on our hands boys! Can't wait for anyone!!

He started off on the turnpike with the usual micropenis ducking and weaving and cutting off everyone to jockey ahead one car length at a time in super heavy traffic.

Then we get off and there's the typical line after the toll booth where it backs up every day, instead of waiting in line flies past everyone in the next lane (only for going straight at the light) then cuts in front of everyone (people do this every frigging day but whatever)

Then, well, you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YjYbgcgId0

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I haven't driven a Passport lately, but Ford certainly has capless gas systems and auto start-stop down and they seem like really weird things to get mad about. You can usually disable auto start-stop if it's something that really bothers you and you think contributing to global warming a little bit more is better than a car having a couple of extra noises but otherwise behaving in exactly the same way. The fuel system thing - sure, needing a tool for a gas can bites, but how often are you filling up from cans? More pointedly, how often are your elderly parents filling up from anything except a gas station? The convenience of not having the check engine light concern of a fuel cap, not having to remember to put it on, and presumably problem some kind of emissions benefit over thousands of fillups probably outweighs needing a tool twice, ever, in your ownership of the car. The only real argument there that I can see is "what if you don't have the tool", but they're a lot more ubiquitous than you thing - I've seen a bunch in the wild without even realizing what they are, and only connected it when I just looked up a youtube video on whether Fords use it (they do).

All fair points, however capless can have the same exact issues with EVAP leaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHrKwR1KJgY

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can, but probably an order of magnitude less often than people forget to tighten the cap.

Oh for sure.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

You do not need to be mechanically inclined to install a dash cam, unless you are hard wiring it.
It's pretty much
Stick the camera to the windshield
Run the wires up to the head liner right next to the rear view mirror (assuming you're mounting it high), then tuck the wires behind the trim of the head liner, into the A pillar trim, then just routing it to the nearest cigarette lighter/usb port you can find.

Yeah you really don't need to pay somebody to do this, especially not best buy who would find a way to do it wrong and/or break poo poo in the process.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Go ahead and bust a U turn from your lane. I'll wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWNMEfplvA

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I fully recognize I could have backed off some, but she was already slowing for seemingly no reason and it opens up to two lanes there, so yes I was getting ready to pass when she did that.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lazydog posted:

I've got one of these Aukey DR02 low profile wedge shaped dashcams with capacitor
I've had it for about 2 years, and it's done fine so far with 100F+ temperatures. It doesn't have any fancy features like wifi/bluetooth transfers, so you've gotta take the camera down or take the card out to get videos off of it.

I'm running this one too for about a year now, no issues. I like how small it is, disappears behind my rear view mirror.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

a primate posted:

Does anyone know what to do when you’re in an accident with the Aukey DR02? They have that hazard symbol that puts it in “emergency recording mode” but pressing it doesn’t seem to have an effect that I can tell.

I bought one a while back but realized I don’t know how to use it, really.

I have it in loop record every 15 minutes mode, but I have a 32gb card. There doesn’t seem to be a “record continuously” option in the menu.

That button keeps the current file from being deleted.

The 15 minute mode you mention is how long each clip is. It's not just keeping 15 minutes worth of footage total on the SD card. It records 15 minutes, then makes a new video file for the next 15 minutes. Once the card fills up, it starts deleting the oldest clip to make space.

After an accident you can press that button to prevent the clip from ever being deleted automatically. But with a 32GB card you're probably looking at days or weeks or more of footage before it starts removing old footage to make room, so you really don't need to be super concerned, just pull the clips off the SD card after an event happens and don't keep using it for weeks before you do.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm at almost 2 years with this one, zero complaints. Does its job silently, never have to touch it or think about it. I like that it is reasonably low profile and not some big screen hanging down, it disappears behind my rear view where I have it mounted.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm

opengl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 5, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

License plates can definitely be hard to make out. If/when I'd ever actually need one I'd just read it out loud. Probably not the best solution though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My go-to for hardwiring is this guy: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3DQRY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm and the appropriate sized fuse tap slotted into an ignition switched fuse. Works great.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Platystemon posted:

EV1 was ahead of its time and could jump the accessory battery from the traction battery with a button under the dash.

It reeeaaaaallly bugs me that this isn't commonplace. You're sitting on a poo poo ton of juice, but your 12v battery a little low? Sorry, gotta jump it. My mom drives her Prius like twice a month and went through two batteries in two years before I set her up with a tender.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Get any of the high endurance ones, meant to be used nonstop in a camera or similar. Most brands have one, this is the kind I got: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PM2VX4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Assuming it’s VHB, heat is probably your best bet. May need to use a proper heat gun instead of a hair drier.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bondematt posted:

I keep it on in case I need to read a license plate.

This is the only reason I have mine on, plates don't become readable on camera until much closer than you can make them out by eye.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah based on the number of people i've seen with their phones stuck to the windshield directly in their line of sight I would never ever worry about dashcam size enforcement.

But that's besides the point just mount it behind the mirror on the passenger side so it's completely out of sight and you forget it's there.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Don't be like me, and the first incident you witness you hit the wrong button and stop recording by accident. Thankfully, the guilty party admitted fault and my recording wasn't needed. Also, I wasn't involved.

I really don't understand why in those dashcam compilations you always see/hear the driver madly pawing at the button to save the clip. Are you running a 32MB SD card my dude? Just download the clip when you get home. Your average reasonably sized card will hold like a week's worth of footage.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nitrox posted:

If your iphone is mounted on motorcycle handlebars or other vibrating surfaces, it's going to break the autofocus function. A common issue actually, and I can imagine dashcams with autofocus having a similar problem

I can find a link if anyone care to read more about it

Huh, I sometimes mount my iphone on the handlebars when I need nav, hadn't considered that.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

NoWake posted:

I'd see about a drive cam system that has a camera on a cord that can be sent out to the rear of the car, like those aftermarket back-up cameras that bolt on with the license plate bracket

I've been screaming for a system with 2 tiny remote cameras that can be wired to a central unit for recording purposes for a while.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Look for a "high endurance" memory card, they're designed to stand up to the constant rewrites you'll see in a dash cam.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endu...cs%2C145&sr=1-3

Size isn't hugely important, depending how much you drive a 256gb could last weeks of driving. Just need to remember to pull a clip before it gets overwritten should you need to. Also most cameras have some kind of protect button where it'll lock the last recording, so you can hit that and not worry about copying it off before it gets overwritten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I could tell it was Philly from the first frame. Red lights are optional here now, didn't you hear?