Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wolrah posted:

This has now gone on my "If I ever win the Powerball" list. Get the least boat-looking amphibious car I can and take it to flood-prone cities in the spring to gently caress with reporters.

Just get one of these:
http://www.camillc.com/terrawind.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Please don't hit the wall...please don't hit the wall....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_O6u5FtUzU

Gonna have some explaining to do to dad it sounds like.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Shockingly, taking your very expensive car to the track may not be the best idea...

Atleast the guy didn't experience this while racing it:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=16V415

(taken form the horrible mechanical failures thread)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh I remember all too well.

There might be a reason the only Mario game I ever go back to is the original Super Mario World.

Oddly, I just keep going back to mario rpg if I'm visiting snes land.

Edit: And in better content, just going to say I didn't notice this thread before I purchased my dashcam, but picked up a blackvue dr650gw-2ch. Nothing really exciting yet for videos other than perhaps a guy taking a vape hit and then liplocking his SO before exhaling. That was while I stuck in traffic with a bunch of college kids trying to go to a concert for a rapper (I was trying to drive home, but me trying to get out of the stack of cars meant I was obviously trying to get ahead of them and not pass the whole scene by, good bye 30 minutes sitting in the parking lot of a freeway).

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 4, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Neither am I. He kept driving on past the camera's field of view.

Edit:

Shere posted:

Black pickup in oncoming traffic blows a red light, car behind him was an undercover cop.

efb

Oh, I thought it was the white car pulling left on red.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Those crows were checking it out too.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The wierd this is that I haven't noticed any changes since I setup my blackview camera. No loss of stations. No buzzing, nothing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I think that was a trailing truck doing exactly as he should be on body blocking against stupidity on the truck. You'll notice that the over sign is blink fairly slowly compared to the size sign which is constantly blinking thanks to the beacon just below it. So I'm assuming the over is reflecting the beacon lights on the trailing vehicle. Also, that semi looks to have merged as late as possible. He was probably waiting for the all clear from the trailing vehicle to have made the merge first to block others from getting in between them.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Shere posted:

Mostly as a begrudged obligation in Illinois.

Hell, some of them are just the old coin basket funnel kind. For a 95 cent toll.

On the Edens Spur there's a cash toll plaza that I blow by on open road toll with ipass, it has like 6 lanes and only two ever open at the most.

They really don't hide the fact that cash tolls are going the way of Blockbuster at all.

Actually, the continued talk here in Cincinnati is for the replacement bridge for i-71/75 across the ohio river is for it to be a toll road to make up the cost for the bridge. The current bridge is both really really old and also handling loads 2-3x what it was designed to do. Mainly because i-75 and i-71 are main north/south arteries in the midwest/east coast area.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Latest fun in 2 to 1 merging for me on the way home is the trucks. They'll go right to the end and then merge over. Which will by the nature of their size slow everything down behind them. Since this is the US though, this is a valid and legal tactic. Even if there were signs 3 miles back to start merging because the right lane ends soon.

I just deal with it though. Not much else you can really do though. Luckily, this is Cincinnati, so the traffic isn't as miserable as it appears other people have it. Like, I haven't had any real footage captured on my dashcam in the year or so I've owned it now.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Lets see, saved by not having a seat belt. That'll be food to chuck for those groups of people. It saved a person this one time, so obviously, seat belts kill people. Also, if there was even one other person in that car, they would be dead.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I like when google tells me about slow traffic when I've been in stop and go for the last 5 minutes already.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I would also assume that for some installations, the 180 lenses would be ineffective due to glare around the edge. Thanks to the slope of the windshield.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So I meant to mention this story I heard from a trucker at my work's yard about a month ago. And I'm sure this mostly applies to truckers, but if you are a person that actually obeys the speed limit, the gps/speed monitor on your dashcam can save you.

The story goes is that the guy was driving along and some lady pull out of a trailer park in front of him. It wasn't a straight t-bone, but close. Cop arrived and she broke into a story about the trucker speeding. Being an african american trucker brings a lot of bias before any action has been reviewed and the cop was ready to side with her. Luckily, he had a dashcam which he showed the cop that he was actually driving under the speed limit. Cop was still trying to find a reason to pin a ticket on hi, but ended up with nothing. So if you do obey without stretching the rules unlike what most everyone does, the speed tracker can help you.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

chrisgt posted:

The problem is, if he was going 1mph over the speed limit the lady would have a bullshit case against the guy. You know there's some lawyer out there who'd make that trucker miserable over 1mph.

Correct, which is why I mentioned it good for those that are sure to be right at the speed limit or driving under it. Mostly under it for the reason you said.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Rolling through a stop sign is literally called a 'California Stop'. The story goes that's because it's legal to do so if there's no oncoming traffic, but that's probably an urban legend.

It is an urban legend. An officer can and will pull you over for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Van probably deserved it for left lane camping. Everyone that drives on I20 is the worst.

He wasn't camping the left lane though. He was legit passing the brown car to his right. Well, he was until the 4runner road raged at not being given room and brake checking him.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

The Locator posted:

The cop ignoring that is simply amazing.

Krispy Kreme just turned on the fresh donut sign down the road.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

STR posted:

Cripes. What happened to those rolling old billboard trucks? They had floodlights lighting them up, but at least they didn't blind people. Used to see them driving around all the time - they were kinda obnoxious at the time, but at least it was just a rolling sign.

Those loving LED signs (even on a pedestal or a building) are the bane of my existence when I'm driving at night, they're right up there with "lifted F-350 with lovely HID conversion". There's plenty of laws on the books about how bright they can be at night (along with flashing effects), but it seems most businesses give zero fucks about how bright/dazzling they are. I swear some business owners (especially car washes and quick lube places) are trying to give people seizures with the drat things.

Someone needs to plow into it and then claim they couldn't see because their nightvision was destroyed. I saw on of these once around here and the thing kept displaying with a pure white background.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I wonder if that can was hooked to the side of the truck. And the air from the passing the box truck finally unhooked it and flipped it up. Because I see no other place for it. It is further back than the trailer and the box truck starting to slow down makes me wonder. Basically, random debris while mowing people's lawns tossed in it for disposal later. Except someone forgot to put it back in the truck bed secure before heading off. And the driver's mirrors are too faulty to not see it there.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't change the way I drive just because I have a cam. But I've also never been in an accident my entire life. Some close calls, but avoided any attempts by others to hit me.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

You Am I posted:

God I remember back in the 80s backfiring cars were a common thing, with carb engines and leaded petrol before EFI and unleaded became popular. One of dad's friends had a L300 van that would backfire that badly it would blow the lid off the air cleaner.

I remember this too, but then again, the car we had that did it also left a mental scar because the car caught fire from it. Apparently the previous owner had decided that the exhaust return was stymieing the ability of the station wagon to tow something. Also decided to have the carb run richer as well. End result was the exhaust return was only unhooked, but still fed back to the engine bay. This meant the unburned fuel vapor ended up hanging out under the hood. Entire a chance backfire that had the flames run that way back around annnnd, the car caught fire. Mom was the only in the car, but she was able to get out safe. And she only knew it was on fire because another motorist flagged her down and told her to pull over as the car was on fire.

This was also back in the days before certified used vehicles was even a thing. Oh those days.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Just throw it at the local news. Making it show up on local news about unsafe drop offs is a great way to embarrass people.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ripoff posted:

https://www.boston25news.com/news/18-year-old-seriously-injured-when-jeep-collides-with-semi-bursts-in-to-flames/911169494

Sorry for the link but it looks like that Boston channel 25 embedded it on their website and not YouTube.

Long story short, kid in Jeep hits semi-truck head-on (both drivers survive) and a fireball erupts that’s so big that Michael Bay would call it bullshit. :stare:

How the hell did it blow up like that?

Well, the fire came from the drive side fuel tank rupturing. That part I know. I can't make out if the jeep tagged it, or if the forces involved when the jeep hit the front fender caused the wheel to push back and knock the tank off. But the tank is where the fire came from.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Erwin posted:

Man, gently caress that truck driver. They have no business in the left lane on a dry sunny day, let alone in the snow. And he was clearly following too closely for conditions.

I agree on riding too close, however I suspect he got caught out in the left lane. I've seen that happen before. It did appear he had his hazards on, so he was trying to be smart. Just don't know why he had to ride that close. Unless everyone was being an rear end in a top hat and cutting into that space so was unable to get the distance needed.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

That makes a lot of sense re: batteries. I'm okay with drive only activation and no parking mode so juice via the cigarette port is fine. I was just idly speculating what it'd take to rig things up so the car battery doesn't get run down in parking mode.

Maybe I'm seriously misunderstanding how all this works. I clearly need to do more research.

I know blackvue did or still sold a device that tapped some fuses but had a normal cig socket. The intent was to plug in their model dashcams (though, any could that uses the cig port for power) and it would shut down when it detects battery power levels drop below a specific level. There are dip switches on it to set that battery level setting.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Reminder that the person merging would be at fault no matter how dickish the driver was to hit them because the person merging is required to yield. In getting hit, they obviously did not yield as they were supposed to.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

i'm screaming NO at my computer right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raptWPQbkMg

That guy should be wearing a hard hat while being that close imo. And really should be as close as he got in some places in case the bridge mad an untimely lowering of itself.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There is a double right here in Hebron, KY. I've had a near side collision in the middle of the intersection because the left most lane is straight and left. The center and right lane are right turn only. Someone decided they didn't want to turn right and just blithly went straight when there were multiple markings stating it is right turn only. The lights don't help the situation though. Why the left most right turn only lane get a split green light for protected right and normal green is beyond me. You can't turn right from it at any point other than a protected right signal.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I've assumed the people driving with the highbeams on like that are people too cheap/lazy to replace the burnt out normal beams so high beams is all they have left until they are burnt out as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I've assumed the people driving with the highbeams on like that are people too cheap/lazy to replace the burnt out normal beams so high beams is all they have left until they are burnt out as well.

I'm quoting myself, but I forgot to mention my one time driving with high beams on moment. My first car was an 01 merc cougar. It had a water temp gauge. I traded it in for a '14 sub impreza. It does not have this gauge. Instead there is a handy light that gives me an idea. Blue if cold, off when normal, and red when hot. Of course high beams indicator is blue as well. The rest of the dash is red in color. Fast forward to one night I was driving to work one cold morning. Around the house at the time was just farmland, so I generally ran with high beams to spot the deer. This morning was no different except I brain farted and assumed the blue light in my periphery was the engine temp. It was not and only realized half way to work. Both status lights are near each other on the dash as well.

So I can see people doing it unaware as it gets lost in a sea of blue as well.

And yes, a couple people had flashed their lights. However, I assumed they were calling out a speed trap ahead.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 29, 2019

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mo Hawk posted:

While technically by law in most European countries, yes, that's illegal–I have never seen anyone getting pulled over for it. That's despite it being quite common across Europe.

Hell, it is law in certain states in the US as well. But it is rarely enforced except by really bored officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
All these horror stories and I'm just smiling and happy with my '14 impreza that has none of these features. That said, I did replace the battery last year due to a hard start as I had transitioned from a 40 minute commute to a 5 minute commute. I also had to replace the headlight bulbs several months ago. But both I did easily.

A goon in world of tanks made me aware of these issues back in the day. Earlier vw beetle models from the 2000s had a funny story with their headlights. Cost like 1k to change because you needed to yank the motor out to have room to access the units.