Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

spog posted:

Get one that quickly unclips and take it out of the car when you stop driving.

This. Or find some way to insulate it such that temperature changes will be very slow.

Tl;dr for the nerds:

I know a fair amount about electronics packaging and manufacturing quality (specifically solder height/wicking and differences in coefficients of expansion) make a huge difference in fatigue life as does rate and magnitude of temperature change. A chinese camera undergoing a large temp change...guess what. Solder is very very low strength in terms of shear stress. Its just the case that it also tends to stress relieve itself quickly with time so given a slow temperature change its just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

smax posted:

I snagged a couple today.

A particularly egregious red light runner:
There's nothing quite like rounding a blind corner to find a young family (including a baby!) in the middle of the road:

And just a quick PSA: These videos also made me realize I needed to adjust my camera upwards. It was focusing on the dash, and having a big black dash in view throws off my white balance. Be sure to take a look at your video to make sure your camera's pointing in the right direction people!

Did you get to 1996 and just decide well thats it guys theres no more music to listen to?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leperflesh posted:

Where do you live? Because I'm telling you, in heavy bay area traffic you can try this and never, ever get home. You're literally going to have to park on the freeway to avoid closing the gap, or having it continuously closed by other drivers.

I lived in the bay area and can confirm. (Cause its me doing the deed 101 life)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Linux Fairy posted:

Dumped a handful of little 15-second or so clips off my Mini0805 today.
And all purpose retardation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2g3UFtZwg (has anyone ever seen a Nissan Versa that they *didn't* want to vaporize? this probably takes second place for this month's dump)

Pescadero Rd/84 near La Honda?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
It's really REALLY unlikely but I wouldn't gently caress with running multiple-feet-long unshielded wires near electronically triggered explosives lest you end up like the USS forrestal. Automotive systems are notoriously noisy and long wires are antennas, even if unintentionally.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19960009442.pdf

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wolrah posted:

Most wires aren't going to be transmitting. Those that are, definitely be careful with. With my trunk lip mount CB antenna on my BMW sometimes the ground connection would get lovely and any time I keyed up I'd get the worst static imaginable through the iPod interface (which had an audio cable running parallel to the CB antenna cable).

The HD radio antenna wire running behind the a-pillar airbag didn't really worry me, that was easy to tuck away and won't be carrying any power.

I was saying a noisy power wire might set off your airbag. Ironically a line intended for transmission will be shielded with the shield grounded so that wire is okay but I wouldnt tempt fate with that either.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrYenko posted:

Sometimes, there is minor justice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLIXeLwmbg

Man this video has all the urban South Florida hallmarks.

-Bright blue sky with a few clouds.
-Palm trees
-Some horribly laughably incompetent driving
-Relatively clean streets
-Lots of drainage
-Motorcycle cops pulling people over

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godzilla07 posted:

This Jeep driver tailgated me as soon as they appeared in my rear-view mirror, and nearly rear-ended me because they didn't wanna stop for a red light that lasted 15 seconds

https://i.imgur.com/fr4FLKX.mp4

Now that's how you run a pick-and-roll

https://i.imgur.com/3WBSAhE.mp4

My deepest sympathies if you have to regularly commute on that stretch of road.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rusty posted:

After tailgating me for miles he cut in front and brake checked me. I am unsure what I did, I think it was we all pulled over for an ambulance and he wanted to jump in front of everyone and I just pulled back in the lane like normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44TsJx1_u0

This is the mildest brake check I’ve ever seen.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Linux Fairy posted:

Saw a good one on my bike today, up on Skyline Blvd just north of Castle Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbPyHNPdb4

Dude was sitting on the curb with a look on his face of "well, the road didn't kill me, but mom and dad definitely are". Welcome to Memorial Day weekend, I guess. I saw a whole convoy of S2000s up there, too! (But I didn't have the camera rolling for that.)

Toe Rag posted:

Whenever I see stuff like that, I just hope whoever was driving realizes they aren't very good at it, are grateful they didn't kill anyone, and take up some other hobby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qto_VlUxk

When I first came up on this I thought someone went over the edge, but luckily for them they seemed to have bounced off the guard rail, ripped off their rear passenger wheel, then skidded into the mountain on the other side.

84 is my favorite driving road in the country. Non stop neat cars every Saturday at Alice's, Ferraris being honked at by the locals in their 89 corollas for driving too slow and not pulling off. The cyclists have a death wish though. Those car drivers do NOT like you and the only people I've seen injured on 84 more than bad drivers are the cyclists.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 8, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Linux Fairy posted:

I actually disagree! Descending 84 from Alice's into Redwood City, I can go faster than 95% of the cars once the road points downwards (especially the dickhead who passes me right at the beginning every single time). Descending 84 from Alice's into Pescadero, there's plenty of space, and I'm usually doing 30-35mph anyway, so cars don't get too upset when they have to wait a minute or two for me to find a wide enough shoulder to let them pass.

Up on 35 (Skyline), cyclists and the McLarens and the GT3s get along pretty well. Everyone has a mutual understanding that we're all up there to dick around and have fun, and we'll all get a turn soon enough. The problem cars are the Nissan Versa Notes and the Cayennes...

You live in a dangerous fantasy land. I've lived near there, driven with many friends there, have family in La Honda. The spectrum of emotion of drivers is dislike to deeply hate cyclists on 84 between Portola and Pescadero. Its an extremely dangerous road to cycle on.

There is no way a road with these attributes should be considered safe for cyclists:
-a bunch of inexperienced drivers with 300+ HP cars who are there to drive fast
-frequently wet with muddy runoff
-more than 50 curves in 10 miles
-tons blind curves
-2 lanes with no shoulders
-extremely narrow lanes at points

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

IIRC 20 years ago before millions were well spent on flyovers, two intersections on this road within 3 miles of this video were something like the #5 and #7 deadliest intersections in the US. On this one road. This 6 mile stretch of road.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sharkytm posted:

Woof. That could have been a lot lot worse. Stand up guy pulling over immediately and already being out of the car, with the "I hosed up, how are you" hand up.

Yea no poo poo. I had someone rear end me at low speed when I was ~18. Messed up the bumper but otherwise NBD. Took down their name, license, proof of insurance and agreed we didn't need to wait for the cops. (This was pre wide use of smartphones.)

They tried to deny ever being there. Luckily, I sent pictures of their green paint in my bumper and their insurance paid up.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PittTheElder posted:

I'm a thread gawker rather than a dashcam haver but it seems insane to me that they would fail at <10g. Like stop recording video I could kind of see, but it shouldn't be that hard to build robust storage for things that include serious shock as an intended usecase.

Charles posted:

The Microsd holders aren't that robust

Yea to expound on this, microsd cards have 9 contacts. Upsetting those contacts during read/write can cause the card to reset, not write a file completely, etc.

Boring shock and vibration lecture:
Well in a transient impact/shock event, multiple natural frequencies are likely to be excited throughout the device. When those natural frequencies get excited, the fingers contacting the card and card itself can experience, relative to design limits, large displacements (like the contacts bouncing or the card being pushed around in its holder), temporarily interrupting the connections. Designing to deal with this in all scenarios is nearly impossible given cost constraints and requirement to have a removable card in part because things like impacts from the camera bouncing on the window can induce VERY high G forces. (Easily 100+Gs) Also the car has certain frequencies it will amplify from the crash and some it will attenuate so the excitation at the base of the camera can be very high. If the frequency spectra of the shock event excites those natural frequencies, it can cause the card and contacts to bend in such a way that they're interrupted.

EDIT: Also things like power connectors and cracked but normally working solder joints/pads that maybe cracked during thermal expansion one day will displace due to the shock event as well. Not necessarily the SD card, though it's where I'd start when looking for a failure.

I worked on a kinda similar system once that mitigated this type of thing in various ways including having capacitors rated for shock and vibe that I assume were there for both power quality reasons and for very low duration transient events.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Manyorcas posted:

Looking to set up my car with dashcams, and I've noticed that most camera recommendations are just front and back setup, or even just front. Kits with side cams seem significantly more expensive (like the Rexing R4-4 I just randomly found).

My question is, is do the sidecams provide very much utility? Or are the front and rear cameras generally considered sufficient? I would much rather get a kit recommended in this thread (Vifio A129 Plus Duo) than try and spend significantly more on a different model/setup for something I genuinely know nothing about.

What are your requirements? Most things you want to capture are, at least for some part of the time, either in the front or back of your car most of the time.