Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CornHolio posted:

So yesterday after a guy tried to merge into me, then rode my rear end, then brake-checked me multiple times (the last time he was trying to cause an accident, I nearly wrecked but I held it and got off at the exit nearby to get away from the guy) I'd like a cheap dash-cam.

I have a couple of cars that I drive depending on the weather and want something easily transferable. Something like this that just straps to my mirror would be nice, though something smaller that doesn't block the mirror (one of them is a newer car and I don't need the backup camera stuff, though I would like a rear facing camera).

If I may suggest:

Get 2 cameras. You'll soon get tired of swapping them over all the time and invariably, you'll have an incident when the camera is in the other car. Plenty of cheap and cheerful ones to choose from.

Many of the cameras can be tucked away behind the mirror out of your eyeline - the passenger sees them, but the mirror blocks them when you look. The trick is to find one that uses standard tripod screws in the mounting and you can replace them with a low-pro mount from ebay that uses 3M tape instead of a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Youtube has a blurring tool in its own editor.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

TraderStav posted:

I should have been more clear, I have no intention of breaking any laws and live a very straight life. I just don't like the idea of having a potential snitch on my dash that has the ability to work against me despite all the best intentions. But I also am attracted to the idea of covering my butt from the public. Probably can't have both.
Just FYI, a microSD card is very small and easily swallowed. Not your fault you didn't have a card in your dashcam when you used your car to tenpin bowl a Klan meeting.

Nitrox posted:

This is the case why Wi-Fi settings on a dash cam are an excellent idea. I was able to pull the video from my camera within minutes and show it to the police on scene. Not that I was shopping with that feature in mind, but luckily it was there.

Something I have been thinking of. Even a small screen is probably fairly useless if you need to show it to a cop on scene.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Yi make pretty good gopro knock-off action cams and their dashcams get similar high reviews.