Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Whoever got the to the stop sign first has the ROW.
In Oregon at least, whoever is in the intersection has the right of way. The common courtesy is to give it to the person who stops first and the person on the right, but not by law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This isn’t the intent of the law. By this logic you could never stop at a stop sign and once you’re in the intersection you have the right of way, everyone else be damned, but that isn’t the case.
I don't know what the intent is, but that is the law as written.

"Stop signs. A driver approaching a stop sign shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if there is no marked crosswalk, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After stopping, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time when the driver is moving across or within the intersection."

In our driver test books, they emphasize the common courtesy aspect everyone grows up with, but it has nothing to do with the law.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

Drivers in Oregon were only recently allowed to pump their own gas, though.

In most states the law at a four-way stop is first come, first served. If you arrive at the same time and there would be a conflict, then it's either straight-over-turning, right-turn-over-left-turn, or priorité à droite.
Usually the car on the right gets the right of way on a tie for states that have laws that are more more explicit I think.

Edit: Also, we definitely cannot pump our own gas, that's only in remote parts of Oregon

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 28, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't tend to use the center lane like that, but people do it, whatever, what makes it dumb is when they drive in the lane and try and match traffic speed and not just stop and wait for an opening.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Takes No Damage posted:

Holy crap I'm just going to buy manual econoboxes until I die, I could not deal with all this automotive internet-of-things nonsense. My parents just got a mid-tier Honda Passport and there are all kinds of weird things they did to make it meet government emissions standards. It's got that thing where the engine shuts off if you stop moving for more than 5 seconds, and the gas... port? has this weird rubble membrane thing that you just jam the fuel nozzle through at the pump. They had to include some long funnel thing so you could pour fuel in from any source other than a gas station :tizzy:
The start/stop stuff is the worst, luckily I was able to just code it out of my VW, but it also has a disable button specifically for it, but I got sick of trying to remember every time.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I went for the wirecutter recommendation and it works well. I like that I can do all the settings and grab video from my phone and it's super small and goes behind my mirror. I also ended up getting it like half the price as an ebay refurb so there's that.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-dash-cam/

I see a lot of people getting the Viofo stuff though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

a primate posted:

I have an old hand me down iPhone that has no memory so old fashioned SD card storage sounds great.

Thanks for all the recommendations :)
I think I’ll buy an Aukey
The nextbase still uses flash, you just don't have to remove it to get the video off if you don't want to, you can though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, I thought wiring to the fuse box would be a pain in the rear end, but it took me a total of 15 minutes to hardwire and tuck it in the headliner, a-pillar (I removed mine to put it behind the airbag).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
After tailgating me for miles he cut in front and brake checked me. I am unsure what I did, I think it was we all pulled over for an ambulance and he wanted to jump in front of everyone and I just pulled back in the lane like normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44TsJx1_u0