Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

VelociBacon posted:

Just to play devil's advocate - would your insurance company have the ability (legally) to force you to disclose video to them under any circumstances? Just thinking of situations where you happen to be speeding or something at the same time someone merges into your car and the insurance company trying to pin stuff on you after seeing the camera when you bring your vehicle in for inspection after making the claim.

No, they would not. They cannot force you to give a statement, either, unless they compel an examination under oath - which requires a court reporter.

You can, however, volunteer it if you think that it helps your case.

(edit: US)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Godholio posted:

Newer drivers aren't much better. I don't think Americans grasp the concept except for a window in their 30s-40s.

You haven't been to New Jersey. They've actually removed a few of them..

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, you can clearly see the the three downed dividers just before the freeway signage column, where the CR-V slipped through; the collision looks like it happered right at the column.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

buttcrackmenace posted:

hard to say who's at fault here

the Corolla for running the red, or the Audi for ramming the Corolla after coming to a complete stop in the intersection ...

also : did you miss your turn?

Car going straight through the intersection (Corolla) has the right-of-way.

Car turning left (Audi) will carry the bulk of the liabilty; hell, it stopped for the first car, there was no reason it couldn't have waited for the Corolla. After it passed, even on red, the Audi has the right to clear the intersection without interference, so the rush to turn was crappy judgement.

The side impact to the Corolla going straight helps the Corolla. The left-front damage on the Audi is just another nail in the liability coffin.

If I'm the insurer of the Audi, I would make a serious run at 15-20% comparative negligence with the adjuster handling the Corolla: it ran the red, and I'd claim I was already standing in the intersection...but I'd be prepared to go down in defeat.

From a statutory point of view, the Corolla should get a ticket for running a red; but statutory charges have little real bearing on civil legal liability.

(edit) woof, Audi actually impacted well past the center of the Corolla, at the rear wheel well. It's toast.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 15, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Enos Shenk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgdlrlT28WI

Two idiots in the same drive. The second one was a little old grandma and I could see her shouting at me as I honked at her. A shame the camera didn't pick that up.

That second one is almost exactly how my (81-yo) mother got broadsided by an Odyssey. Mom first said no one was to her left, then later claimed the mom, with her three young kids in the car, was speeding.

Fortunately the mom & kids were OK. Mom broke her back & pelvis and degloved her left knee. She’s fine now. Saved by curtain & side airbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not only is hitting wildlife covered; it's covered under your comprehensive (if you have it).

Hitting humans, however, is considered a collision claim.