Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Alright so I bought a cam, what's the best way to route power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

True, and a lot of them seem to be going a bit too fast on the hardpacked snow with near zero visibility. These uploaders must pay people to send them footage, I can't imagine many would be eager to show off their colossal fuckups to the internet at large. Then again, Facebook exists so all bets are off in that regard.

Yea, holy poo poo there's a string of 3 or so videos around 5:30 that are just completely :wtf: on those roads.

I also hate when some poor dude tries to avoid killing someone and crashes/rolls and the dude that caused the problem is able to just drive off. Not just in this video, but in general. I always tell my wife if there is other traffic on the road or it would mean I'm going off the road when someone is going to hit me, gently caress it I'm holding my ground, he's going to have to deal with his idiocy.

The video around 8:10 is awesome too, the white car smacking into the snow plow is pretty great justice for being in too much of a hurry.

subx fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 30, 2014

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Tomarse posted:

I was all set to buy a g1w but loads of you seem to be having weird issues with then. A möbius is only £5 more - should I get one of these instead?

I bought mine a couple of months ago and have not had a single issue. My card is a Sandisk 32gb Class 10 micro SD, which is supposed to cause all sorts of problems.(Amazon Link where I bought camera, and Amazon link for card)

You are going to hear more about the negatives than the positives, especially since it is a "set it and forget it" type of device.

Just buy whichever one looks better to you. Neither of them is going to be all that well quality-controlled (what do you expect from a $50 1080p video camera?), but 90% of them will be perfectly fine.

Edit - 9/10 being useable would be awful for a company like Sony, but their dashcam would also cost $400.

subx fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 7, 2014

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Extra posted:

Blender is a free option that I've found is really robust and does a fantastic job. Requires a little bit of learning curve (so does any NLE) but all the basics are one youtube/google search away.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that and haven't had any issues after 2 months. Obviously as Axim posted, it's possible to get lovely examples since Quality Assurance on a $50 dashcam is not going to be spectacular.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

I got a job as a delivery driver recently, and would like to start recording my shifts. Most of the time I'm in a car provided by my employer, but sometimes I'm in my own car. So it needs to be something I can just set up in the car and remove at the end of the shift. It would also be cool if it had some kind of functionality with GPS where it would show me a map of where I had been that day, but that's not required.

Any suggestions?

I think for the GPS part you would be better off getting a phone app of some sort. A camera with that functionality is going to be way more expensive and I don't actually know of any that record where you been on a map (some will show location in the video feed, but that's about it).

For the camera, if you are going to be moving it around a lot, you probably want a vent mount or something, as the suction mounts seem to wear out quickly if you attach/unattach them a lot. As for the camera itself, I would think about something with good nightvision since I assume you are going to be delivering at night time often.