Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I bought a G1W a month or so ago and like it a lot. The HD video quality is nice and the night time video is great as well. You'll have no problem reading a plate number at night if it's reasonably close.
Instead of buying a converter I just added a second switched power socket under my dash and plugged the camera into that.
I've heard the battery in the G1W craps out if left in the sun for a long time so I've been pulling mine instead of leaving it in the truck. I usually only drive once or twice a week anyway so it would spend most of it's time cooking rather than recording anything.

I also use a GoPro Hero 3 when I ride but it's a pain in the rear end since it doesn't automatically charge or loop. I commute 60 miles a day so that means I have to remember to charge it and erase the card every two days or so. I also don't have a great place to mount it on my bike that doesn't shake it to poo poo so the video is a little wobbly. You are able to read license plate numbers if you pause.

I really like recording while I'm driving. It gives me a little piece of mind.
The last accident I was in was caused by a nearly dead AARP fossil decided to gun it across traffic because he couldn't see that he had no turn arrow (or didn't feel like waiting anymore). Unfortunately I happened to be in the path of his CV and that was the end of my brand new 2000 Civic Si :( I wish I had a dash cam back then since the rear end in a top hat claimed he had an arrow and with no witnesses it was found to be no fault and my rates went up.

I see some pretty awesome terrible driving on my daily commute but don't have any decent editing software to pull it and post. What are you guys using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Oh, now that is good info. I will go poke around there now, thanks!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My G1W and GoPro got pissed off about using class 10 cards. I got some class 4s and all is well.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm pretty sure the G1W has a shock sensor. There are three sensitivity setting in the menu at least.
I am about 100 miles from my truck right now, otherwise I'd go set it to sensitive and shake the poo poo out of the truck.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Is there a reason my cameras keep killing memory cards? Between my G1W and shitpile GoPro I've gone through 6 cards in about 6 months. 2 no name class 10, 2 sandisk class 4 and now two no name class 4.
They will work fine for a while then quit recording. When I try to format them on the camera or in my computer they won't read. Wtf? I'm ready to take a bat to both.