Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Holy poo poo, what a loving arsehole.

It's the US, why hasn't someone shot this guy already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why did he even brake check the truck in the first place? From what I saw, the truck moved over and made way and did nothing wrong.

EDIT - just saw the wobble at 30 seconds when the truck tried to merge back. Still, he pulled back and it was an honest mistake.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Krakkles posted:

I cannot imagine that I could mentally justify being behind that car and not turning on all of my offroad lights. If I'm going to stare at the surface of the sun while I'm driving, I'm going to need to light the road to that level also, so that I can drive safely.

Of course, I'd probably also just get in front of him and turn the backup lights on, but that's harder to actually justify. I mean, it's not that hard, but ...

I posted this in the "people you share a road with" thread ages ago, but on my route home, we had the most obnoxious billboard for a golf club which was just a few words on a glaringly bright white LED background. It was the size of a shipping container and really low to the ground so you just couldn't avoid being blinded by it.

It was so bright, I could have read a roadmap inside my car from 50 metres out. Even the side streets.

This isn't that sign, it's one I found through google, but it shows just how bad this thing was:

How the hell it was legal I'll never know.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yeah, it took forever to get taken down, after a huge number of complaints.

Reason being that all complaints had to go through the local council. And guess who were all on the board or members of the golf club which put up the billboard in the first place?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
My car came fitted with coin holders, which I thought was cool even though I never go through toll booths.

Then I realised they were American-sized coin holders and absolutely no use to me in Australia.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 6, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Scruff McGruff posted:

Australian dash cams will always be my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcN4xlzXHvU

Goddamn, 1:46 perfect music sync.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe he'll learn to buckle up from now on? Nah...

And maybe he'll learn not to leave his goddamn car stopped in the fast lane.

If your car breaks down, get off the bloody road :argh:

There was even a median strip right there he could have pulled onto and been far less of a hazard to other road users.

It reminds me of a Russian dash cam I saw a few years ago of a car load of idiots who stopped in the middle lane of a highway to change their tyre during heavy traffic. Yes they got hit and, yes, some of them died.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And could have easily rolled to a stop where he would not be blocking a lane on a highway :shrug:

Edit:

A different Russian tyre change on the highway video from the Terrible Car thread.

drat, how many times has this happened?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 4, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The crash is pretty horrific, but the dash cam footage is simply incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCqYsR_2wI

(from the China thread in GBS)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Locator posted:

:stare:

Pretty sure whatever was on the inside of that vehicle under the front of the bus is dead now.

Yes, but did you note the stability and quality of the image :buddy:

Where do you even buy a dash cam that good?

\/\/ It looks better than 95% of the dashcam footage I've ever watched :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 11, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Russia seems full of totally unmarked ped crossing you only know are there due to the break in the fence running along the median strip and cars fly past at highway speeds.

And Russians being Russians, they all just step out without looking half the time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I saw someone last week who did that - broke down on the highway by a concrete barrier and left their car half in the outside traffic lane. Apparently so the passenger could sit there with their door open :shrug:

Thing is, they were on a hill and could have easily rolled ahead to a safer place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Given the state of storage tech, I don't know why we aren't seeing cameras with multiple lenses.

One to point forward, and two others on the sides to cover all the angles.

So many design paradigms are still based on technology which we have moved far beyond.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Oddhair posted:

I still don't get why gas pumps get illegible but not black, and lovely monitors are readable with my head upright while any slightly better tier of monitor will instead be black with my head upright and become visible when I tilt my head.

Without going totally off into 'old man yells at clouds' territory, this sort of thing infuriates me.

My car has an LCD dashboard which becomes totally opaque if I'm wearing polarised sunglasses. And my aftermarket reversing sensor display is the same.

People building things and putting them out to market without goddamn testing them first :argh:

Someone wearing sunglasses while driving? Unprecedented!

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 8, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The number of times that has almost happened to me.

It amazes me that people will cut across multiple lanes of stopped cross traffic and not look for a car coming in the other unblocked lane.

At least it shows you were 100% in the right of way, no matter what "points at eyes" man might think.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 6, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
From the gif thread:

"What a loving rear end in a top hat" indeed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

TotalLossBrain posted:

Like that insane British guy.

I can't even watch his videos, they make me so angry.

That man has serious brain worms and should not be allowed to hold a licence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

melon cat posted:

Hope this is cool to post up here- I got my hands on the new Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO dashcam and put together a really exhaustive review on it. Low light footage testing, extreme weather test performance included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aquiXi42lkQ

Thanks for this. I've been looking for a good camera for my car. It's Aus$300 here which isn't too bad either.

So, it works in -40°C? Great, now I just need to find out how it handles +40°C.

Well, it would actually need to be more like +70°C, because cars are ovens if you leave them in the sun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

The Linux Fairy posted:

Reportedly, the driver thought he was hit judging by how violently the car moved, but the car did all of it on its own, and when he got out to look at it, there was no damage. On the other hand, the driver could have been blind, given how much attention he was paying to a car in front of him moving into his lane, so there's that.

I recently found out that when you disable the Tesla autopilot, it will revert back to the speed you were going before you activated it.

So, if you turned it on it in a built up area, then head to a highway and it accelerates to match traffic, as soon as you try to disengage the autopilot, the car will massively decelerate back to the initial slow speed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

Does that also mean that if you turn it on while cruising at 75mph, and it slows down to 35mph for heavy traffic, that when you disable it to take manual control it'll floor it back up to 75 and ram the car in front?

It's Tesla.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Or they hold it under their mouth like a plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

fknlo posted:

This had me look up why the magpies there aren't as chill as the ones we have here in Colorado and it's apparently because the ones in Australia aren't related to the other magpies and they're also not corvids. I did not know that.

It's mostly that, during mating season, their testicles swell to 6 times their usual size.

This tends to make the birds upset.