Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Fucknag posted:

See I don't get how you guys are always so quiet. If I ever get one, you'd hear lots of very loud swearing anytime something like that happened.

I think that is the main reason all the silent videos are out there. If I ever get a dashcam, I will need to do the same thing. But I am always talking while driving, for both the the good and bad things. Swearing at the bad drivers, or giving my own commentary while on a twisty road or on the track, I just never shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I used to complain about CA drivers, then I moved to Dallas. And I am not even allowed to lanesplit here, which makes it even worse.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Well, that was a neat and well-ordered garage at the start of the video.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

ausgezeichnet posted:

And gently caress those that think they're doing you a HUGE favor by "allowing" you out. Just drive like you're supposed to, rear end in a top hat.

This.

The gap I saw coming that I was about to merge into? Just disappeared due to the "niceness". Just go with the flow of traffic, don't ruin the flow of traffic by trying to be "polite".

And having the same guy cut me off 3 times in about 20 seconds reminded of this thread (he wasn't malicious, just moronic), and my need to replace my dead Contour. Any good suggestions?

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 12, 2020

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Takes No Damage posted:

I think they're talking about when you need to cross a multi-lane road. Say it's a 3 lane road and they're numbered closest to you 1, 2 and 3. A person in lane 1 stops to allow you to cross, which would be great if lanes 2 and 3 did the same thing at the same time. However, frequently they do not since they're probably not even looking at you since you're not next to their lane, and even if they DID see you and also stop, half the time you wouldn't be able to see THEM since 'nice' person in lane 1 is completely stopped and is now blocking your view of oncoming traffic. And you're having to manage all that while still keeping an eye on the other side of the road to try and line up a safe gap in both directions so you can cross/turn.

I just turn with traffic and make a U-turn at the next light rather than deal with all that mess.

Your description is pretty good. I don't even get mad at the person trying to let me in, since they are thinking they are helping. But entering lane 1 blindly when I need to be in lane 3 to make a turn at the light? No, not doing that.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 13, 2020

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

fisting by many posted:

If I didn't already know people drive on the left in Australia, I wouldn't have learned it from DCOA videos. How do they find all these people? How do clips like 8:52 even happen?

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I love the people who can clearly see someone merging into their lane and do absolutely nothing to prevent it. I have the ROW! I'd rather deal with a crash than apply the brakes!

I have been wondering about that for quite some time.

I have come to the conclusion that many of them are just as oblivious as those they show on cam.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

CarForumPoster posted:

Ferraris being honked at by the locals in their 89 corollas for driving too slow and not pulling off.

Back when I was stationed in SoCal, the only time I saw expensive sports cars driving above the speed limit on Ortega Highway turned out to be Car & Driver doing a comparison road test. Usually Ferraris, Porsches, and the like were well under the limit, and holding up traffic. Saw much of the same after I got out and moved to the Bay Area and was riding the twisty roads there.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Takes No Damage posted:

What are yall's thoughts on playing a nice song for people while you admonish them for driving like sociopaths? I'm all about that Terminator 2 theme myself :awesomelon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yne2O5RtoxY

I have seen that car IRL. Yeah, sociopath is a good word.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Evil SpongeBob posted:

(Prepares for a 2 page bicycle derail...)

Got the popcorn warming up now. Watched a brodozer vs bicyclist encounter just yesterday, and the brodozer was (surprisingly) in the right. Too bad my dash cam glitched, or I would post it.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

wolrah posted:

That's one of the reasons I keep my audio turned on, if something happens and I was able to see the plate myself I'll say it aloud to make sure it's in the clip even if the camera didn't catch it.

100% agreed, they don't make sense for bicycles, and if bicycles had entirely separated non-conflicting infrastructure they wouldn't need to follow those rules, but when you're sharing infrastructure sometimes that means you stop for less maneuverable traffic.

Good point.

And apologies for my terrible radio tastes if I ever post something serious here.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Takes No Damage posted:

Not mine, but holy poo poo :stare:

Several years ago, I saw a brodozer Excursion lose a wheel in a similar manner. Luckily, nobody else was involved in that crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

glyph posted:

Wheel spacers with too short studs?

Probably. Or other cheap mods that gave the wanted look, while over stressing stock suspension. Brodozers ruin everything.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, pause the video near the end and you can clearly see a brake rotor still bolted to the wheel. The hub gave up, and was probably making all kinds of noise long before it did.

Edit: right as the wheel comes back for more

"But my truck is so tough it can take anything!"

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 27, 2023