Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I'm getting a bit fed up with my Genius DVR-HD500D. It's a front-and-rear dashcam with a display, it records both the front and rear simultaneously, and the rear cam plugs into the dashcam using what looks like a normal headphone jack. What I want to know is, can I buy a front cam from someone else that would accept the video feed from that rear cam? Like is it a normal standard thing, or is it gonna be proprietary and only work with the Genius? The reason I ask is I'd really like to avoid de-wiring all the wiring work I did to get it set up: I've got the rear cam bolted through the headliner with tiny bolts, the wiring running under the headliner from rear to front, and all the excess wire hidden.

Failing that, my main gripes with the Genius are: I already had to replace the battery (which could only be bought on aliexpress), the window mount keeps falling off, it gets a ton of noise interference from my alternator (which might be my car and not the cam, admittedly), and now it's just apparently eaten a 32GB SanDisk card after like 1.5 years' use. Also the "night vision" mode is just turning on four front-mounted white LEDs, which is completely, totally 100% useless in a dashcam. Also I think it's not quite a wide enough field of view (130 degrees) - I'd prefer a bit wider, or else mount an extra inch or two back, or something.

The usual recommendation is the A119C but I want front & rear recording, a realtime video display, and - this may be asking for too much, but - significantly better build quality and longevity. I'd be OK paying $200+ for a dashcam if it's substantially better quality.

Can't comment on reusing the rear camera but Street Guardian is close to releasing a dual camera model, SG9663DC. They're generally regarded as having the best support on dashcam talk forums, and the developer actively posts there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

That sounds interesting! Especially having access to the developer. Thanks for the recommendation.
e. This dashcam includes GPS data logging in all recordings.

The GPS is an external unit and you don't have to use it. Unfortunately everything is in one thread on dashcamtalk forums and includes many many off topic posts so it's kind of hard to sort through. The product is not out yet, so any product page may not be final spec.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, I see. The product page doesn't make that clear (and lists a price of $499, which... yikes!). Since I don't want that feature, though, I'd rather not pay for it, and... yeah, $200 or so seems OK, $500 is way too much.

It also claims the included 64gb high endurance SD card is a $90 value, which lol.

That's Australian dollars but yeah still is a lot.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Somebody a while back was asking about the Street Guardian dual-camera & specs, just wanted to post it's available for pre-order now (in the USA at least)
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sg9663dc

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mountain goats?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXsbv75CNRc

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah vans and trucks can have that for "upfitters"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IAmKale posted:

Thanks for going through all that to provide some numbers for context. After I initially posted I managed to find a wattage rating for the dual-camera Thinkware setup. At 4.2W max draw, the amperage came out to something similar, around 0.35A lol.

Based on all this feedback, I figure there's zero issue to try and do anything but use the taps. I picked up some 5A fuses anyway and won't sweat this anymore.

Yeah it's fine, my dimming rear-view mirror uses wire taps, straight from Mazda themselves.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

The thing that makes me the most irrationally angry is when, as I'm changing lanes, I put on my turn signal, wait for an opening, check my blind spot, slide over into the space, and get immediately honked at by the person I moved in front of because they weren't paying any attention to the road or my signal and they think I cut them off. Or alternately they saw the signal just fine, and were accelerating to try it and close the gap specifically so I can't take it. Either way, the sheer audacity of the pricks who do that just drives me insane

It's nearly always someone in a BMW or Lexus SUV, for some reason

Part of why I got a rear camera system. They don't do the accelerate to not let you merge / change lanes too much here in Seattle but it does happen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm thankful for modern engineering that that is survivable with minor injuries.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Are they going to sink into wet cement?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oops.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

Is there a consensus on the best 2 channel dash cam under 500 bones?

Bonus points if there’s something that makes it easier to swap between cars (I’ll probably hardwire the DD but will want the option to swap the front cam out easily to other cars using the ciggy lighter as power).

I think the Street Guardian model is about $300, I have one and like it, though I smacked my rear camera with some lumber and broke it. It's only working as a forward camera right now :/ Their reliability and customer service is very good. Most other brands are pretty hit and miss, but some new ones may have emerged since I've looked at the Dashcamtalk forums, especially with that budget.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oof that's a really low bitrate. Please tell me that's on YouTube's end.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

Amazon vans are generally wrapped now, regardless of if it's an Amazon employee (VERY rare) or a third party DSP (delivery service provider) (common) driving them. And they don't ever order them with rear windows.

Here in their hometown of Seattle they use unmarked Sprinters, or even employee cars. The one in the video was a Ram Promaster.

I'm not sure how to feel about the brand name of APEMAN.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

There's a blinking stop sign embedded in the front of the car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SeldomSeen posted:

I have the same headphones and they are pretty great for the price, battery lasts forever.

In other news, I was rear-ended on the highway this morning, and the idiot swerved through two lanes of traffic, almost rolled, and took off at high speed. So now I'm in the market for a dashcam would like both front and rear cameras, any recommendations?

I like Street Guardian's line of products if you're in the U.S., their customer support is great.
https://streetguardian.cam/
I have a SGGCX2PRO with SGR323CAM (rear) that I'm going to install soon, but I've been very sick. I already have the SG9663DCPRO and it works well for me. They need easier model names, though.

Otherwise the Viofo line of cameras have been well rated on Dashcamtalk.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

A little over, but Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO+ is supposed to be the best? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV4DHYM/

Is it still the best? I've been looking at it since it was at $200, but its come down recently. I just want full license plate resolution, I don't know if many do that.

If you're in the U.S. and okay getting a little bit older rear camera you can get one free
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sggcx2pro
Add the coupon code " Free323X2Pro "

I think all of them will get license plates during the day and close enough. If at night I'm not sure anybody can guarantee that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you want a higher resolution and just a forward camera (2560*1600) I think the current favorite is the Viofo A119V3. Looks like it's only $120. I'm not sure if there's a favorite vendor.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Fattest PI posted:

So now I figure I might as well bite the bullet and get a dash cam to record my eventual death so I don't have to fumble with my phone like a big dumb idiot.
I saw someone posted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GV4DHYM/ a bit earlier in the thread and it seems like it suits my needs. I live in a cold climate and would want to get the rear camera too.
How hard is it to install? I'd want to hard wire it in, but I've literally never done any kind of work like that with my car. I'm not a complete moron, but again inexperience.

Charles posted:

If you're in the U.S. and okay getting a little bit older rear camera you can get one free
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sggcx2pro
Add the coupon code " Free323X2Pro "

I think all of them will get license plates during the day and close enough. If at night I'm not sure anybody can guarantee that.

Seems like this coupon code is still active.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FogHelmut posted:

I bought these. Installation was very easy. Rear is off-center due to the sliding middle window in my truck.

Still getting tons of glare in the front even with the CPL filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RR49_b66x8

I forgot to reply, but you can rotate the plastic inside the filter to try and adjust it for what looks best

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

This armchair “everyone has to avoid a collision it is somewhat your fault” stuff is all bullshit.

An actual lawyer has replied to this thread :ssh:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

Do Mazda drivers have a reputation as being particularly bad in Australia because they seem...well represented in these compilations.

They definitely were when I was in Belgium. Like the BMW driver of yore.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's not good

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

I was prompted to install an app when I clicked the link. What is it?

It's Android's instant app thing

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I used to come home from work through a dual turn lane. Every drat time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

Didn’t need the street signs, Florida tags, or palm trees to tell me where this was.

This happens everywhere though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

That second camera films the interior of the vehicle, not behind the car. Great for a taxi, useless for normal people.

also, they straight up tell you the daytime video is going to have a purple tint? What the hell is that? I've never seen the dash cam do that.

This is the true dual camera I've used, but seem to be unavailable now. I'm sure you can find another https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9F1QP8/?coliid=I2VUHDN0PMK06U&colid=QN6ZDL5RPQ22&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Purple tint means the sensor doesn't have an IR filter. You'll get really weird colors during the day. If that's the interior camera and it's using IR illuminators I'm not sure you'll be able to see out the back at night, but look at some sample video.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

What is the benefit of that?

Night vision.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've seen cars driving around without DRLs, who loving knows man. The other night I flashed both behind somebody and then went in front of them and turned off my lights and they didn't get the picture. Insane.

I can't remember which manufacturer it was but at the car show there was a stalk that had Auto as default and Off as a momentary switch so you can't leave it in that position. Let's hope that becomes standard. Also Auto lights should turn on with the wipers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

One of my Saturns was like that, except it was labeled "DRL OFF". But it also turned off the automatic headlights.

The second one had the same physical switch (in that it had the momentary position you could twist it to), but it was labeled differently. That one didn't have auto headlights, and turning it to that momentary position did not turn off the DRLs like it did with the first.

tl;dr I'd bet it was a GM.

Godholio posted:

GM does this, but my Volt has it on the dash vs the stalk.

I sat in a Bolt so probably.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

My suspicion is that it's done to keep you going back to the dealer, as is the case with many unique maintenance items that require special tools for absolutely no reason.

There's another BMW model where you have to replace the battery every 2-3 oil changes cause they didn't take into account American driving styles and instead of reprogramming the ECU, which would mean recertification, they just made the cost of the battery part of the warranty.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mine did that too (edit: just the focus part). They sent me a replacement. That replacement is now stuck on the boot logo though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

Is there a single company that doesn't put out trash? It seems like everything that gets named in this thread ends up being effectively disposable.

The Street Guardians are generally good and customer support is good, generally far above the rest, but nobody has had truly outstanding ones as far as I can tell.

I'm wondering how the Viofos will hold up? Haven't checked into dashcamtalk in a long time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oof there was part of a ladder in the freeway yesterday but it was in easy to dodge from where I was.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

the paradigm shift posted:

My largest problem is the windshield tends to reflect my dash quite a bit and while it's not affecting anything it's a little annoying. Do people tend to adjust the exposure on them before each trip?

You usually use a circular polarizing filter (CPL) to deal with that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah we have uncontrolled intersections in Seattle which means you yield to the right.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's no traffic device that can deal with somebody like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't you need to be sure the wire goes behind the air bag?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow but mute audio please 🙉

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah SD cards do pop out as reported by somebody on dashcamtalk