Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Has anyone used or have any information about the aftermarket dashcams that have 4 cameras?

Something like this?

It has 4 cameras and acts as a DVR while also doing backup cam and birds eye cam views. I just wanted to know if anyone any information or thoughts on them. This won't be a purchase right now I'm just getting a feel for what is available. This would be a retrofit for an older car with no electronics at all currently, so I can pretty much do drat near anything on earth with an implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Those usually get installed on RVs, because they are large enough to warrant so many cameras. On a standard car it's rather unnecessary.

They come on Toyotas now since the 2016 model year? Also BMW, Mercedes and a couple other brands, on normal commuter vehicles.

http://www.serratoyota.com/blog/toyota-birds-eye-view-monitor-system-work/

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 3, 2018

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Looking for a good recommendation for a front and rear dash cam for my old Tacoma. Preferably one where I can download clips straight to a phone. I don't need GPS. Thanks.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Shere posted:

I would frankly get the one without GPS unless you have a specific need for it. It saves you a few dollars and also stops you from incriminating yourself by having it show you doing 47 in a 45.

It really doesnt, except casually. There is software that tells exactly how fast the host car is going by analyzing the dash cam footage. It's pretty neat. The police here use it, I can only assume an insurance company would as well.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

EightBit posted:

Court precedent exists that thwarts your intention. You can't withhold an encryption key any more than you could withhold a physical key, at least in the US.

Which is really odd IMHO since it is literally requiring you to provide evidence against yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Budgie posted:

Here's the thing, auto stop-start saves emissions and increases your driving range in city driving measurably. The average time you need to be stopped with the engine off to save idling emissions is something like under 6 seconds, you might not think you're stopped for that long very often but you'd be surprised. It's absolutely worth it in 95%+ of the scenarios it activates in.

And in the summer here in Vegas the passengers can easily start to bake in that 90 seconds the AC shuts off at a stop light, which is straight stupid in an expensive Mercedes.