Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Picked up a G1W like in the first post off Amazon for $55/shipped. It arrived Friday. I was on my rear end in bed all Saturday birthing another loving kidney stone so I finally got to test it out for real today. On the way home from the LEGO store I encountered an E39 that decided my shiny white Abarth was invisible. He looked me right in the loving eye then tried to pull out in front of me. I like that Fiat didn't skimp on the horns in the 500s. They really let those idiots know you are displeased with their antics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCRlqtXpswA

As for the video quality, I'm fairly impressed for a $50 camera. And I no longer need to remember to turn it on/off, it does its thing when I start/stop the car. I was previously using a GoPro Hero3 Black which is a drat fine camera but is really obvious thief bait hanging in the window. I wanted something more inconspicuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Horse Divorce posted:

Good reflexes on you and your co-pilot there. You both saw it before I did.

And 50 bucks for the camera? Good deal. I'm curious though, how fast were you going there? Not that the BMW was in the right, but it looks like you were really moving. It's probably just because your camera is mounted lower to the ground.

Good luck with your piss rock.

My wife is also a 'spirited' driver in her R on occasion so we're always both paying pretty good attention to our surroundings. Especially on this fun and winding road. That intersection always seems to be an issue so we both kind of expected it. We really weren't going too fast. Limit there is 35, I was doing under 40. The wide angle always makes things look faster than they are. Kinda why they use wide angles for extreme sports. Gives a feeling of speed.

I was gaining on the slow car in front so I assume the BMW thought I was going the same speed and misjudged. Also, the Fiat is a small car. He could have just misjudged how far away we were by going off our size out of the corner of his eye. About half the cars turn up that street so he might have thought we were. My lack of expletives kind of supports that I believe it was an honest mistake. I always slow down for the hundred yards through there for this very reason. No harm, no foul.

Edit: here's the cam for $52 on Amazon. Free two day shipping with Prime. Its a more recent chipseted G1W. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 17, 2014

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

anonumos posted:

Thanks for the updated testimonial about this particular G1W. I just picked it up along with a 32GB SD card (which was recommended upthread). I'm looking forward to installing it and recording some insane SoFla traffic. Having recently been vandalized worth almost $3000 on my 2 month old car, I'll also be happy to have evidence if it ever happens again.

I'm using a 64gb SanDisk card I had previously and it works perfectly even though the cam says up to 32gb.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

As such, use whatever card you drat well please is what I am saying, they *should* all work unless the firmware engineers are being stupid.

That's what I figured. I had a half dozen 64gb cards lying around from a trip last year. I don't know why they claim 32gb. You'd think they'd wanna claim support for as big as they can. Probably just old manuals from when 32gb was the biggest available.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

bobfather posted:

I was looking to buy this model as well (from eprance), but the Amazon info page made no mention on whether it comes with a window mount. Does it?

Yes, it does. I had the same concern. I was planning on making a mount from my pile of GoPro spares if it hadn't.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Just got a G1W, quick Q:

Loop Recording
OFF

does off means it'll fill up the card and then it's done or will it over write the oldest part of the video?

10 minute loop recording mean it records 10 minutes, saves it, moves on and then deletes the oldest 10 minute chunk when the card is full?

What are people having the best results with?

It'll record 10 minute videos, save them until card is full, then start deleting oldest and replacing.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

The Locator posted:

I just received one of these yesterday, and it does record, but the LCD screen never displays anything. Is there a trick that I'm missing for turning it on to access the setup menu and stuff, or did I just get a bad one?

Wish I could help. I don't know. I could try walking through my menus and give you the exact button sequence to get to 'reset to defaults'. I don't think there's a 'screen always off' option though. Mine has always started up with a green(?) welcome screen. My guess is you got a bad one.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Caught a little one today. Early morning drive out to the range to do an IDPA match. As I was passing this Camry I was watching him in his mirror expecting him to do something stupid. Right as I reached his blind spot, he did. A no-look lane change right into the space I was also trying to occupy. I know he could have seen me, if he'd looked, as I was looking at him in his mirror. Luckily, the truck in the left lane had cleared it so I had somewhere to go. No profanities, just a crappy song on SiriusXM. I'm losing my touch, I blame the early hour and lack of caffeine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n19AxGvLGsk

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

All of that said... I turned off the audio on mine.

I can always remove the sound in post-prod if I want to. I can't put it back in.

I want to be able to have the sound if it comes to a claim. I know the following video makes an airtight case in this one but the audio of him saying "I'm sorry. It's my fault" is the final nail in the coffin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KILUlAGgZcg

I wished I'd had audio a few years ago while on the way to a Scout camp with a bunch of boys in my beat up Range Rover. I crested a hill at around 55MPH in the dead of night. There were about 4-6 deer standing right in the middle of the road. I had enough time to say "This is going to suck" before plowing into the middle of the group. Somehow every single one of those deer jumped to the side or straight up and I missed them all by inches. That incident is legend in my kid's Scout troop now, 5 or 6 years later. The "This is going to suck" story is repeated at every campout and passed on to new Scouts. Of course, now it was a dozen 10-point bucks, 8 mooose, and an elephant that I dodged but the story remains.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

oxbrain posted:

I leave the audio on because the camera won't get license plates but I can always read them out loud.

drat, that's a good loving idea.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I thought some of the models had shock sensors in them that mark recordings as non-over writeable when triggered?

Correct. The G1W has this feature.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

The Locator posted:

Drive only took 62 minutes, most nights it's closer to 90.

A 1-1.5 hour commute? I'll stop complaining about my 12-15 minutes. And to think, I bitched pretty loudly when they moved the office and took my 8-9 minutes of back road driving to those unreasonable heights. I'm starting to look for a new position and remote positions are in the lead for me right now. No commute, no pants? Perfect.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Ok, my turn for a commute vid at 8x speed. Make it two, they're cheap!

My drive in to work this morning in the T-Bird. I timed it wrong and hit lovely traffic. My commute is usually around 15 minutes. Took me 25 today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0UA2XYmAL8

Second video is the drive home last week in the Abarth. Yes, it was filthy after the previous day of rain. Normal 15 minute commute time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmiMSE0b5QI

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Shampoo posted:

I need to hook up my cell phone and show you all what a real poo poo commute is. 20 miles+ down Rt1 in Boston takes me about 90 minutes on a good day.

Oh, I've done Boston downtown at 5:30pm on a weekday. I know what real poo poo is like. I just minutes ago talked to a recruiter about a job that was on the other side of town here and would have required a 45 minute commute. I didn't let her finish her pitch after that. I don't 'do' traffic.
I took my current job based on its location <5 miles from my house on a country road. Three months after I started they moved into town and doubled my commute to 15 minutes. I was not pleased.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

One of these days I'm going to mount my camera facing out the passenger window and get a commute video of all the cocksuckers texting.

That's a brilliant idea. I know where the GoPro is getting pointed next week.

Ror posted:

These are the GoPro, not the G1W, right? I like those exterior angles a lot.

Correct. Very sorry if I mislead. I forgot to put that in the post. I usually use a G1W but for these exterior shots I fired up the GoPro with the suction cup.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

My G1W had been working great the last couple months. Now it's stopping recording randomly. I missed two different videos I wanted this weekend.

One was of, what I swear was, a yellow LaFerrari driving in the hills above Austin. My wife saw it also so I know I wasn't seeing things. I have no proof tough as the cam cut out 3 minutes earlier.

Nothing has changed on it and the settings are all the same. It's so frustrating. It seems to be cutting out when changing to a new recording file. I'm going to try reformatting the SD card completely and seeing what happens.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Axim posted:

See my post right above yours. I'm in the same boat, I ordered a new Transcend 32gb card to see if it will work, its class 10 but many forums report it works well with the G1W. I'm probably gonna get a new G1W-H if that doesn't fix it.

I'm using a class-10 64GB. I know it says 32GB is max but it's worked for months and isn't full so I don't know WTF. I'll swap out the 64GB for the 32GB I have in my tablet and see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

She lived. Shattered a couple vertebrae but she loving lived. Lucky she wasn't carrying a passenger though. Slow it down and you can see water bottles and hairbrushes flying down the road.