Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

As for the mount, I know the G1W uses a fairly common mount (same one the camera you linked uses). Supposedly you can track down visor and mini windshield mounts? Frankly, I'd much prefer a visor mount, but I've been too lazy to bother with tracking it down.

I've got a G1W and would love a visor mount, tried finding one online today with little success. Because of some little black bumps on my windshield near the rearview mirror, I can't mount it up near the mirror so it has to be more towards the passenger side and is really noticeable and ugly. It's far enough over that I can see about 1/2 the screen on the back while driving. I stopped using it for now because it's in such a bad position. If I could move it over 3 inches towards the center and a little up, it would be so much better. Here's a picture:

Thinking of picking up a Mini 0801 since it's supposed to be alright and is much smaller so I can stuff it up where it's not noticeable. Even with the sticky tape mounting(which I kinda don't want to do), it may be a better option for me. But the visor mount for the G1W I already have would be preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Rotate the camera on mount through 180 degrees (i.e. to point the camera backwards if it were attatched to your car), then 'tilt' the suction pad towards the lens. you end up with a more compact mount.

It limits the vertical range since the suction pad is right above the lens, so may not work depending on the angle of your windshield.

Tried it but my window is too vertical for it to work.

Supposedly it uses a similar mount as the LS300W, though you'd need to trim it a little. Supposedly.

If that's the case, something like this will probably be what you're looking for.

For $2.39 I just ordered one of these. It'll be a while to get here, but it may work as a solution with a little dremel work. If not, by the time it gets here I'll have enough extra cash to order a Mini 0801 and just stick the G1W in the back window until someone rear-ends me.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Supposedly it uses a similar mount as the LS300W, though you'd need to trim it a little. Supposedly.

If that's the case, something like this will probably be what you're looking for.

The linked visor mount just arrived. It fits the G1W well with no modification. Slightly snug but no real forcing to fit. I would assume snug is better than loose with a dash cam anyways. The tightener on the ball joint seems alright for a sub $3 mount. I won't be able to test it out in my car until tomorrow afternoon when I get it back from the shop, but it seems promising so far.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

tuna posted:

Now you have a dashcam you will experience nothing but the most polite and safety minded drivers you've ever had the pleasure of sharing a road with. And it'll piss you off.

This is what I'm expecting when I get my cam back up and running. This past week I've had 2 people swerve into my lane, then 100 yards later swerve back into the other lane to keep me from passing and another person making a left turn into my lane from a red light. Starting tomorrow afternoon, everyone will drive perfectly.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

The visor mount I mentioned a few days ago has worked well so far. Much better than on the windshield as far as viewing it from the outside goes. Plus it's really easy to take down when I have a passenger whose view it would disturb. I still need to blackout the chrome and white parts of it, but it's okay. The tinted windows definitely helps in hiding it.

I haven't had any real bad displays of driving, it's mostly little stupid things that aren't worth uploading. But here is something from today when someone cut into my lane at the last second. I know this is a pretty standard thing to happen, but it's the worst I've seen in the last week and wanted to test out cutting the video and uploading and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYGa4NO_5dc

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Got two on one trip today. First on the video is someone blowing through a stop sign. You can barely see them do it, but they get what's coming to them.

The second one, they knew exactly what they were doing, watch their brake lights as they come to the red light. My only guess is that their car is so slow they can't stop or it will never get going again. After waiting, I followed them onto the freeway where I blew past them about 1/2 mile later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3atrek7nsc

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

You should probably stop at stop signs as well. :v:

Hah! I probably should. There was a bit of a rolling through there.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

It's just not worth the risk. Just doing it in front of a cop having a bad day ONE time isn't worth all the half-seconds saved added up over all the years you did it. Not worth the hassle man, just not worth it.

Oh I know, the really isn't an excuse for it. Being called out for it on here, even with the anonymity will actually probably help with stopping there now. I try to avoid that intersection because it's just bad in general, but it's the best way to the freeway from my house.

xzzy posted:

Plus it's fun to watch all the surprised faces in your rear view when they aren't prepared for someone to come to a complete stop.

That is the other thing that happens, people come to a complete stop for a long time as they try to figure out how to get across all the lanes in 100 feet to make a left hand turn.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Saw this yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEeU44jeR5w

The moment he started pulling left, I knew what he was going to do, but it still surprised me. And for the record, he still had to stop and wait at the light to make his left turn a few blocks away as we all caught up to and passed him.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I was all set to buy a g1w but loads of you seem to be having weird issues with then. A möbius is only £5 more - should I get one of these instead?

I've been running a G1W since January with no problems. Well one problem was the power plug worked its way out and I lost power during some spirited driving in the mountains. The fix was reaching down and pushing it back into the cigarette lighter when I realized it. I could fix that with hardwiring if I really cared that much. But the camera has done what I've asked of it for the last 5 months. I do think I'm going to pick up a Mobius this summer as I've picked up a couple summer school classes to teach so I've got some extra money to spend and would like something a little more discreet.

Like other say, buy whichever one you like. They are all cheap cams and will be similar in appearance and performance.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Managed to combine and upload a few things I've recorded this spring. I had much more but I kept forgetting to pull them off of the camera before they were overwritten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnj6ZL3ouPc

The only one I really have a comment for is the first. Some idiot decided trying to swerve into my lane was a good idea. I always see stuff happening at this intersection. I would avoid it but I need to drive that direction once a week and my other option takes 10 minutes longer.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ijustam posted:

What the hell was flying around at the end?

Big sheets of styrofoam.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ijustam posted:

Got my G1W today. Do all just use the suction cup mount? Hows it hold up over time? I've had poor luck with suction cups in the past, with them falling off and what not.

Forget suction cups. Visor mount.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-sun-visor-Automobile-sun-shield-Clip-Mount-For-DVR-LS300W-LS330W-LS400W-/201020986519?pt=Car_Audio_Video

This one fits with no modification. Been using it daily for several months with no problem.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Kazy posted:

First day out with my dash camera. Always count on city driving to go against the 'everyone will behave once you get a new dashcam!' lore :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzDOKfeJpyw

A couple are in there to pad things out, but this is all within the space of an hour or two.

Another blue Mini :hfive: I rarely saw lightning blue ones until I got mine, I see at least one other blue Mini every day.

As someone else said, that's nothing compared to Los Angeles driving. I ordered a Mobius to replace my still functioning G1W since I want something more discreet in the front and that way I can use the G1W in the rear to get all the jerks tailgating me.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Hope someone can help me out here. I used to frequent this thread and even contributed some videos back in 2014, but got busy and put the dash cam away for a while. I had a visor mount that had the cam on the passenger side and it worked out well when I was single and rarely had a passenger. I'm now married and after seeing two accidents(one quite bad) in the last two weeks, I want to get my cam up and running again. I checked it out and everything works, but the visor mount is a no-go since my wife rides in my car often now. What I have is a Mobius from 2014 and am looking for the lens extension cable they used to sell for it so I can stick the lens in front of my rear view mirror and have the box elsewhere. It looks like there is a newer version of the Mobius(?) but I think mine is older. Is this the correct cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobius-ActionCam-8-lens-module-extension-cable-/381430157028?hash=item58cf024ee4:g:OW0AAOSwDFNWFGfi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

After a couple years of no dash cam. I've finally reinstalled my Mobius in my Mini, but am looking wondering about other options out there for my wife's new car. Anyone running a cam on a 2016/17 Honda Fit? I like the Mobius I have and am not opposed to getting another, just have not done much in a few years so don't know what's out there.