Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sup dashcam thread. I just bought a new car over Memorial Day weekend and I've got a couple bills in AmazonBux from my tax refund, figured this would be a good time to invest. Especially since the whole reason I needed a new car is because some drunken rear end in a top hat swiped the front of my Rav-4 about a month ago and drove off while I limped over to the shoulder :argh: I always told myself if anything like that ever happened that I'd be sure to get the plate and other info, but when you lose control of your vehicle at 60mph your priorities are elsewhere.

Somebody last page recommended this KDLINKS and it sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm in Dallas so our summers can be pretty brutal, so the claim that this should keep working in an occasional oven is a plus. The only other thing I've seen consistently recommended is the Mobius brand, do they have anything that would match/beat this cam at a similar price point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ LITERALLY my first day driving this brand new car home from work, some dude's aluminum ladder slides out of his truck and pukes sparks everywhere, I almost poo poo a brick. Luckily it stayed going straight and didn't cross over any lanes, but still. Driving a new vehicle is going to kill me :(

Well, I wasn't expecting to have content for the thread literally the first day I turn on my new KDLINKS, but Mustang drivers will not be chained down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDnH38b-sM

Towards the end you can hear the 2nd stang floor it again, because why should almost smashing into 2 other cars cause him to adjust his driving :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shows what I know :downs: Anytime I see that flat squared-off rear end I think Mustang, but Charger/Challenger/Camaro all look similar to a not car guy. I probably should have just raged against muscle car drivers in general.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
don't tell me how to drive ill bash you're head in i swear on me mum.

Actually I was trying to pass slower traffic, but as you can see the car in front of me was the one hanging out so rather than ram into them I slowed down, to 74mph :cheeky: Also the idea of specifically keeping out of the left lane at all times just so these jagoffs can play :rice: in traffic is really low on my list of priorities. At best I'm a level 3 rear end in a top hat to their 7 or 8.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I try and stay in a middle lane if possible, it lets people gottagofast on the left and I don't have to worry (as much) about people merging on and off the freeway. Too bad half the people that exit freeways in Dallas do so from the far left. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched someone in my mirrors weave around traffic, finally work their way over to the left and floor it, then cut aaall the way back over and slam on their brakes as they exit, all in like 1/2 mile.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baconroll posted:

Having your dash cam record audio can be quite a revelation - I had no idea quite how much I hurled verbal abuse at other drivers or at what volume :ohdear:

I now live in constant fear that I'll have to submit some video clip for evidence and it will have me playing/singing along to something horrible.

"So you see here officer this is where he crosses the median and swipes my vehicle."
> Play
"DON'T STOP BEEEEEELIEEEVINGGGGGGGGGG"

I'd probably just let the guy go and eat the insurance at that point.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My main reason for keeping audio is so I can read out a license plate or dictate other info that might not be visually on camera. And I can't decide if I should disable the GPS portion or not. I can see it being useful to dump into Google maps in an actual incident, but I also don't want some defense attorney screwing with me for going 64 in a 60 when their intoxicated client smashed into me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would imagine there would be some issue with submitting 'edited' video, especially one from one of the claimants. Chain of Evidence and all that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turn signal, what's that? :downs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw84CnRuM-w

I like how she creeps into the shot from the right like loving Jaws. Dun dun.

vvv So she was relying on the element of surprise? That is horrifyingly possible.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so triggered right now I'm literally shaking (not really). Not yielding while merging is a peeve of mine though, especially when it's really obvious the lane is going away. People MUST drive all the way up to the end then they expect the rest of us to stop so they can slide over because :downs: welp the lane ends what else could I possibly do here :downs: I don't intentionally match speed with those people but I sure as poo poo don't slow down for them either.

e: Forgot to ask this, my KDlinks X1 keeps freezing up on me. Usually the whole unit just locks up, the screen even stays frozen when I turn the car off or unplug it until the battery runs out. Driving home Friday night the UI locked up but the camera kept feeding through to the rear screen, but all the buttons were still unresponsive and it still stayed on when the car turned off. This always seems to happen when it's trying to start a new file, like if I have it set to 3 minute files it locks up at just after 3 minutes, with 5 minute files it happens just after 5 minutes. I've never been able to notice any consistency about when it happens, could it still be just a bad mem card or am I looking at returning the whole unit. If I have to un-tuck the USB wire from my rear-view going down to the power plug I'm gonna be :argh:

vvv I'll give it a try, but like I said I haven't noticed any consistency with when it happens. Like one time it was raining and the temp dropped to like 74, still froze up. Other days it's 100+ all afternoon and it works fine.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 29, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

It could just be a complete shithouse SD card. Do you have one from a camera or something you can try short-term? Would be valuable troubleshooting, anyway

That's what I ended up doing, it came with an 8GB card so I swapped that in, it's been running fine for a few days but I also dropped the resolution down to 720 so it might not be full yet either. I'll give it another few days and report back, but the fact that it kept locking up when it would try to start a new file, and only seemed to happen when the SD card was full, does make me suspect the card as well. If the 8GB keeps working I'll order at 16GB and kick it back up to 1080p, maybe 32 was just too many GBs for the unit to keep track of...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

That's an interesting decal on your hood.

He wanted to be impressive, and... scary tends to impress.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With a smaller memory card my Kdlinks has been solid, so I was about to conclude that my 32GB card was just a bad unit, but then I got this in my email:

Kdlinks posted:

We just released a new firmware with a lot of enhancements for X1. It's very easy to install, only take a minute. Please unzip that firmware and follow our instruction inside to do the update. Feature change list is inside the firmware zip file. If you are using 32GB card, we highly recommend this new firmware for your X1 dash camera. This new firmware has fully resolved the random 32GB card compatibility freezing issue.

New firmware Download link: https://kdlinks.box.com/s/wu4bu5ilq229hvrgwajc9g363fw9o5g4

Haven't tried it yet but it sure sounds like the exact issue I was seeing. Other than the freezing with the 32GB card it's been a fine camera, assuming this update fixes that issue I can recommend it as well for people still shopping around.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
[arresteddevelopment]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7tPhTooXuk
"I've made a huge mistake..."

[/arresteddevelopment]

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I crossposted in the Schadenfreude thread and holy poo poo goons hate A Silver Mt. Zion :stare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:sbahj: Next time I have anything to show I'm gonna add in a post rock soundtrack just for SA :mad:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

Tuck them behind the headliner and side trim. The pry tool you mentioned is perfect for this, and it's easier than it looks.

I looked up this video for my Honda Fit, but the process should be similar for most vehicles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUHAQvThsvY

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm too lazy to look up the laws in Dallas, but my understanding has always been to YIELD when turning right on red. The oncoming traffic obviously had a green arrow and thus the right of way. Throwing things isn't nice but you sure should have got the horn from that truck :shobon:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, let's see how the X1 does at night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFqRUmMnvw
Pulling out of a WalMart, figures. Look at those MI/H drop :v:

That thump you hear while I'm blowing my horn is $60 of BBQ flying off my passenger seat and hitting the floor, that's what that delayed GOD .............. DAMMIT was for. I'm in Texas so BBQ is pretty serious business here, it would be a technicality but I think I could have got away with shooting him for that, something about theft of property after dark :clint: I'm kidding I don't even own a gun much less have a CCL

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it went something like:

Look at this rear end in a top hat edging out, can't wait 2 seconds for me to pass.

Huh he's really pulling out far into the road...

Wait, surely he's not going to just continue out, I mean I'm RIGHT loving here... OSHIT *braaaaaaaaakes*

I can't understand how while I think most people are loving stupid, I continue to consistently overestimate their intelligence :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Reading up on the K1S it seems to have issues. Is there any bulletproof camera that I can just install and have it actually work without constantly having to be fidgeted with. Now that I have the new car, I plan to hardwire something in. I just need to figure out what camera is actually worth the money.

Depends on your definition of bulletproof, but after a firmware update and a mem card reformat my X1 has been chugging along for a few weeks now in the Texas summer sun without issue.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like how you doxx the poo poo out of them at the end :) In a perfect world the police would take videos like this and go get some easy traffic fines, but since they didn't kill anyone THIS TIME nothing will come of it.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 11, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ What was that supposed to be, some kind of honor system? If so then someone in your traffic department doesn't understand human nature very well.

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure why the Highway Patrol doesn't just set up shop on the HOV (carpool) lane on I-10 every morning. They'd make friggen bank, I swear that every 3rd car is just some person driving along by themselves in that lane, and I understand the fines for doing that are pretty steep. It would have the double effect of big revenue, and making me giggle.

Every once in a while Richardson in North Texas will have a week where they just stack cop cars along the HOV going through their city and nail people all day long. The only reason I can imagine they don't do it all the time is that there are SO MANY shitheads doing it that it backs up traffic on the whole freeway, I guess from them kicking people out of that lane after they cite them. The delay would almost be worth it to me if it meant a steady stream of schadenfreude to start each day :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
T-T-T-Triple Kill :hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBFZ0pLcVno

The First, in which a dude tries to turn into 50mph freeway feeder traffic. At least this one sees the error of his ways and adjusts.

The Second, in which a *complete* cocksucker blows past me at 80mph on a vanishing shoulder, then adds insult by crossing a double solid line. People who cross double solid lines should be put into camps.

The Third, in which someone doesn't know how right of way works.

All this just getting to/from the grocery store after work last night. Other people are gonna get us all killed :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So many new posts I thought someone had caught a fiery wreck on their dashcam or something equally spectacular. Kitten chat is... acceptable :3: My new apartment is cats only so I'll probably be in the market for one before the end of the year.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've got an X1 as well and after some early issues with firmware it's been working fine through this Texas summer. It's pretty easy to snap on and off the suction cup mount thing, but I've just been covering it up with my windshield sunscreen whenever I need to park outside somewhere. It gets BALLS hot when in direct sunlight, but so far I haven't noticed any issues with its operation. The GPS is optional, there is a separate little plug on the top of the unit you need to use to enable it, and you can even snap the mount open and remove the GPS unit completely. It comes with a backup mount but only one GPS so this is how you would move it over to the 2nd mount if you ever needed to.

I haven't really played around with the GPS data yet, mostly because I'm too lazy to install the software to read it off the device. Seems like it would be cool to be able to prove exactly where you were at a certain time, but I'm also worried about actually getting into an incident and the other side going 'hur hur you were going 75 in a 70 you share half blame'. Unless you're the world's most conscientious driver then that data probably has the potential to do you more harm than good from a legal standpoint.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Dallas was driving stupid tonight. I think I saw at least 5 different cars make turns from non-turning lanes, but I only pulled the worst one.

Appetizer: Dude driving the wrong way down a one-way street:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuX1yJKsQUQ
Why don't people feel like they can bloody stop and turn around when this happens?

Main Course: The Bad Turn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJx5iEKypXg
After narrowly not killing him, I proceed to trash talk the back of his van for another half-mile until he turns off. Highlights include briefly becoming British, refusing Honda friendship and threatening him with 17 year old Eminem lyrics. I have no idea what the gently caress was wrong with me tonight :shrug:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 20, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Because it's not their favourite thing!

Louis CK is my homeboy :whatup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that sucks, that person definitely needs some alone time re: their license.

Speaking of inappropriate lane changes, AT&T asks: "How's My Driving?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsdHXwGbPk

Pretty lovely, since you asked <:mad:> If there had been someone on my right I would be having a much worse night right now.

I thought about doxxing him on ATT's facebook or something, but I actually was a Uverse premise tech back in the late 00's and I know what a lovely job it is and what a lovely company they are to work for. Since he didn't actually impact my car I'm gonna let him skate THIS TIME...

vvv Yeah he just drives straight over all those curved lines as the lane exits right, not sure what is going on there. Hopefully not since judging by the height of the cam he must have been in a pretty big truck himself.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 8, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's technically Halloween, so have some spoooooooky driving in a failure to yield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iny-pMkAlwg

I probably do get too close but I saw this fool coming as soon as he started pulling in from the left so I was pretty much waiting for it to happen. I almost look forward to getting to use my horn now, that probably isn't healthy...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed, and bothering to use his signal already puts him in like the top 10% of safe and courteous drivers in Dallas (and probably every other large city). If that's all it takes to bug you out then you must commute in some kind of Scandinavian traffic etiquette utopia :norway:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smax posted:

Well, I got some actual use out of the dash cam last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8w1ZD2v9_I

Nothing quite like a minor hit and run to round out the night.

Edit: And a crappy picture of the aftermath:

I would have been on with 911 ASAP giving them the license and last location/direction. My old RAV4 got totaled in a hit and run and I'm still salty I didn't get a plate or even decent description of the other car, that's why I got a dashcam in the first place. Yes please let us know if/when you can get them caught. Bonus you can then crosspost everything in the Schadenfreude thread :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I record audio (although it's not working properly right now) because I can imagine cases where something like the squeal of the brakes of a car that is out of frame, the sound of an approaching siren, or even just someone honking their horn could provide relevant context to an accident. I also want to record interactions with the police, including police instructions broadcast over a loudspeaker.

I keep audio on mostly so I can call out a license plate or describe something that may not be caught on camera. One of my greatest fears now is that if I ever have to submit anything for evidence that I'll be singing along to Journey or something just before...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ho hum just driving to work again, shithead in a Dodge tries to murder me, whatevs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOc18gL2Rs
I don't even care anymore.

Again just dumb luck there was no one directly to my right, you can see at least 2 cars had to swerve over to avoid hitting me. Totally unrelated, but what is the loudest aftermarket horn I can buy :getin:

vvv Yeah there's a youtube video of some guys that mounted a real train whistle in their 350 or other huge truck, then drove around scaring people. But I drive a Fit so whatever I get (if anything) will need to be pretty compact.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 2, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hit an Apex posted:

Here is my latest - put my car in a Manhattan parking garage. Pretty boring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCzTC-W2mY

What are people using to edit? Windows Movie Maker is driving me crazy with the black box it wants to put around the video.

I've been using a free open-source program called ShotCut for video editing. It can be a bit clunky at times but if you're just snipping out a bit of video between point A and B of a larger file it's pretty straightforward.

I'm too lazy to pull tape but on the drive in to work today I saw a SUV :siren:backing up:siren: out of an off ramp, right down the middle of the drat lane. They really didn't want to get on that toll road (635 Express for any Dallas goons).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just can't imagine the thought process that goes into deciding that not only stopping, but reversing down a one way road where traffic is hitting 60mph easy is your best option.

Stay safe this holiday season goons. Remember, Dumbass never takes a holiday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxF6g7clEts

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

A few years ago my sister and her kids and me and my wife were all flying to Oklahoma City in January for my grandma's 90th birthday. We had a stopover in Dallas/Ft. Worth and they decided to cancel the second leg to OKC due to the risk that there might be snow. (It never actually snowed.)

So, needing to get to OKC, I rented a minivan, we packed everyone up, and the guy at the rental car counter gave us directions on a road map.

...which took us on a toll road.

Not being from the area I kept expecting a loving toll booth but it was 2 AM and no toll booth materialized. There was literally no way for me to pay for the two tolls, which I think were like 35 cents each? Something tiny. The road signs had a phone number but if you called it you had to sign up in advance to get a transponder or some loving thing like that, there was no option to just use a card to pay a one-time toll.

Months later I got a bill from the rental car company for over sixty dollars: two discreet $30 fees for the two separate (I think very small, like a couple bucks) fines for toll violations, for tolls totalling less than a buck.

I can totally understand someone panicking if that's the way Texas rolls. Because gently caress that poo poo, the onramp to the toll road should say "TINY TOLL BUT IF YOU DON"T HAVE A TRANSPONDER, DO NOT ENTER OR YOU'LL BE FINED, THERE ARE NO TOLL BOOTHS, YOU CAN'T PAY CASH NOR CAN YOU JUST CALL UP AND PAY A TOLL BY CREDIT CARD, SERIOUSLY DO NOT ENTER"

HAHA yeah....... The idea is that if you don't have a TollTag then it's "no big deal" as they will just mail you your toll fine with a little bit extra for admin fees. In your case they would have sent that back to the car rental place, which then had to turn around and track your info down and forward it on to you, the bureaucracy of which as you say took months, with late fees and admin fines piling up all the way. Maybe could have called NTAA and plead your case, but that's a pain in the rear end either way you go.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Always mind your space cushion folks. Not bothering to pull tape but on the way in to work today the van in front of me decided that today was the day he'd start braking at GREEN lights. I was maybe a foot away from hitting his dumb rear end. I assumed something had happened in front of him but no, just stopping at green lights today :what: If I'd known that I would have leaned on the horn the whole time.

In other news I saw this on reddit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346FO0B_qv8

Puckered up just watching it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I should have noted this one is one of those 'wait for it' videos :) Something that looks like an official U-Haul account commented on the video so hopefully something can be done, but I'm not sure what unless you can prove who was driving the truck at that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

That isn't a lane.

It is if you're in a hurry!!! (I'm assuming :thejoke: )