Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I want to get the G1W too, can you recommend a good link on Amazon to it?

The wire cutter provides a link but they only ship from China and it would take up to 28 days for me to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-19...-1&keywords=G1W

The manufacturer is blueskysea, and the seller is Baikov.

However I notice there are other sellers like E-Prance that ship from within the US and I don't have to wait a month for it. Which one have you all used, and is it counterfeit or the real G1W? (Can you mention the seller too, since some links have multiple sellers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Help me out guys. I bought a G1W about a month ago from a good seller on Amazon (recommended by the wire cutter website), e-prance or something.

In any case, camera has been great till about last week, when I noticed one day while driving home from work (2 hour commute each way) that the camera had stopped recording. I looked at the last video, the camera had simply stopped recording after completing a 5 minute video and never cycled to start a new one.

I read on different forums that the G1W firmware sometimes will stop recording when it reaches the end of a video cycle (3,5 minutes etc) and the card is almost full, instead of simply deleting the oldest video and continuing to record. People mentioned that this often happens if the cycle is anything but 3 minute loops. SO I set the camera to 3 minute loops and I thought it was fine up until this morning, when I noticed about 1.5 hours into my 2 hour commute, the camera had again stopped recording. It was on, functioning fine and I just pressed the record button and it started recording again. However I obviously can't use this as a dash cam if it randomly stops recording and needs to be monitored to make sure its doing its job. Sending it back to China after a month is out of the question.

I have a Kingston 16gb Class 4 or 6 in there right now, but just in case I ordered a Transcend 32gb Class 10 because I've read that it has good compatibility with the G1W cameras.

I assume that the camera itself may be borked though, which sucks because the recording quality, audio, is all top notch.

In any case, can I fix this somehow if the card is not the culprit or am I better off getting a G1W-H or G1W-C? I prefer to get the G1W-H because it has a better view angle of 140 and is all black so its less conspicuous, is it really worth getting a G1W-C with a capacitor?

Where do you guys recommend I get it from? The NYC spy shop has the G1W-C for 69.99 -> http://www.spytecinc.com/g1w-c-capacitor1080p-hd-car-dash-camera.html
They are local to me and I could go down there and pick it up, reputable seller.

I can also order the G1W-H from FoxOffer for 56.99, or I can get it from estore009 on ebay, another reputable recommended seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/310830749213?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649, this one would cost 65.99.

What should I do?

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

KozmoNaut posted:

You bought the cheapest decent dash cam available. I say if the new sd card doesn't do anything, just get a new cam. I'd go with the local store, since the price difference is so small.

Yep, however, they don't have the H, only the C and I kind of want the H more, wondering if 20 degrees of view angle is worth it.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Kill-9 posted:

My G1W had been working great the last couple months. Now it's stopping recording randomly. I missed two different videos I wanted this weekend.

One was of, what I swear was, a yellow LaFerrari driving in the hills above Austin. My wife saw it also so I know I wasn't seeing things. I have no proof tough as the cam cut out 3 minutes earlier.

Nothing has changed on it and the settings are all the same. It's so frustrating. It seems to be cutting out when changing to a new recording file. I'm going to try reformatting the SD card completely and seeing what happens.

See my post right above yours. I'm in the same boat, I ordered a new Transcend 32gb card to see if it will work, its class 10 but many forums report it works well with the G1W. I'm probably gonna get a new G1W-H if that doesn't fix it.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Well my G1W continues to randomly stop recording after it completes a loop of video. I put a brand new 32gb Transcend card in it two days ago, class 10, its recommended by a lot of places for the G1W. Its a shame, because the camera is awesome, but these random recording stops make it useless as a dash cam. It is weird though, it reaches the end of the 3 minute loop and just stops recording, stays on, but decides its time to turn its recording function off. I've reset the unit to default settings, and tried everything.

If its not the camera, then its the power cord, I hid the wire inside my dash, pulled back the trim and everything. I hope that I didn't break the wire somewhere, but even if I did, the camera would just turn off, not stop recording and remain on in standby.

I have a G1W-H on the way from Baiklov on amazon, should be here within a week. If the same problem persists, I'm gonna have to remove the cigarette adapter from the G1W, and install the one that comes with the G1W-H, I'd prefer not to do that because I think they draw the same amount of power and should be identical, but I have no clue what else it could be.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Wickerman posted:

I have a G1W from Baiklov and thus far I have not experienced the same issues that are being described here. Knock on wood.

My G1W came from Baiklov too, I was told that they are one of the main suppliers of good ones. Funny enough, there is a thread on dashcamtalk that states that Baiklov has sent out counterfeits before, so I don't know.

My malfunctioning G1W from Baiklow must be one of the new 2014 models, it came in the new blue box, not red or black. I'm gonna rip it open when my G1W-H comes in and see if the G1W had 200 or 320 maH battery.

Regardless, the only legitimate places I know of as of now to get G1W cameras is from Foxoffer, estore009 on ebay, Baiklov (although apparently they had a fake now...) and I've heard good reviews for SpyTec, they only see the G1W and G1W-C, but they have an actual store in NYC, so I can go there personally. If my new G1W-H from Baiklov has the same issues, I will return it and pick up a G1W-C locally from spytec.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Wickerman posted:

Why don't you just buy a Mobius? Spytec has them and they actually look like better products for an extra $20.

I have heard of them, if the G1W-H is also lovely, I'll pickup the möbius locally then, thanks for the suggestion.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
After my G1W randomly stopped recording at different moments, I bought a G1W-H that was fine for one day, and then it lost the ability to detect when the power cable was removed. It would always think it was on external power, even when I turned the car off, and thus would run down its battery every time, unless I manually shut it down... I am done with crappy no name brand cameras. I picked up a Garmin Dash Cam 20 last night at bestbuy, its 250, but at least if it gives me crap, I can return it.

So far the Dash Cam 20 is good, its very sturdy and easy to use, however the recording quality is actually a little worse than the G1W, the 1080p quality is a little more blurry, a little more artifacty, license plates are a little harder to read. I read the bitrate is somewhere around 9kb/s instead of 12-15 thats found on the G1W and G1W-H. The suction cup is sturdy but the attachment is quite long, so its not as easy getting the camera close to the windshield and hiding it behind a mirror.

Stupidest item is the usb mini charge port is on the right of the device and the included cable has an L-shaped connector, and it faces you, not the windshield, so obviously when they designed it, they thought people would be using it plugged in directly into the lighter below it, not pulling the cable through the car. It gets worse, the cable isn't proprietary, but its not a regular USB mini cable. If you plug in any normal USB mini cable, the camera prompts you upon startup if you want to go into mass storage mode. You need to press a button to say no, then it goes into regular recording mode. So running a 2 dollar cable from monoprice thats 15 feet long to connect to the camera will cause me to have to click that button each time I start the car. (It seems the camera IS recording while it gives me the prompt, the red light is on and after I dismiss the prompt, you can see the video has been recording already, but the prompt doesn't go away automatically, so if I want the screen to shut down and not disturb me, I need to press a button)

To get rid of this, Garmin offers their own 5 meter (apprx 15 foot) cable, for 25 dollars on their website.

I can't believe its this difficult to get a good problem free dashcam. I looked into the mobius as was suggested here, and I did not want to mess with its configuration and such. If only someone would make a custom firmware for the garmin that increases the bitrate to 12 or 15 like the G1W and removes the stupid mass storage prompt when using a non-garmin usb cable.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I finally fixed my problems by returning the Garmin and getting myself a new Vicovation Marcus 3. Apparently the Marcus series is brand new, Vicovation seems to have some really good products and the Marcus 3 supports 1290p or something, but I love its 1080p 60fps mode.

Spytec in NYC has it, so I picked it up locally, but they ship anywhere in the US and seem pretty awesome with tech support and such.

http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=21&lang=en

The Marcus line seems to have replaced the older TF2 line of cameras from them.

Here is the link on their store:

http://www.spytecinc.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=vicovation

If you don't care about the 1290p or 1080p 60 fps modes, then get a marcus 1, which otherwise seems identical. The Marcus 1 is about 180 and the Marcus 3 is 260.

edit: Here is the technomoan review on the Marcus 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruqfy2dC6RQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
So I have a a question for guys. How come no one here uses the Vicovation Marcus series of cameras? They are a bit more expensive but have fantastic manufacturing quality, spytec in NY provides RMA service for them if you buy from them, or you can buy from vicovation through amazon. I have the Marcus 3 for 1.5 years now I think, and its super solid, great at night, perfect 1080p 60fps video (or 2190 at 30fps I think). I had 3 G1Ws (including a G1WH) that died on me within weeks, so I spent the extra and bought this and never regretted it. Techmoan reviewed a new camera recently, K1S and its the first time I've thought of upgrading from my Marcus 3. Does anyone else use it?