Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Thought I'd throw my opinion into the ring; I, too, have purchased a G1W from seller "estore009" on eBay; it's served me well (so far) but I thought I'd make a few comments as I've had a couple of different experiences here from the norm.

*I am using mine with a Class 10 Sandisk card (this card specifically) and it's given me no problems.
*The suction cup is practically useless in extreme cold (0F and below inside the car) if you are applying it to the window from being put away - but if it's already on the window, it won't come off.
*The screen on mine never turns off unless the device turns off - someone said something to the effect of the screen turning off after a few minutes of recording - I wish mine did this.
*The firmware is so awful that you won't bother to go through the settings. Happily, you generally won't need to - but I only was able to disable audio recording by accident. Changing the setting appeared to do nothing - I only found out that the audio was disabled after reviewing the footage. The on screen display still shows a microphone icon, confusingly.
*Picture quality is superb - especially for something that costs $52.
*The silver trim around the camera makes it stand out as a target for thieves. It is, however, easily removable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

OneStopShop posted:

How well can these cameras handle cold weather? For example, the local seven day forecast shows temperatures ranging from -20 to 5°F.

I assume I'll need something that is easily detachable so I can keep it indoors when not in use, any suggestions?

Rechargeable batteries in general don't like the cold; so the already short battery life is worthless once the car's been outside for a while. I learnt this when I brought the camera inside after a night in the car to review footage and the camera wouldn't turn on. But doing generic dashcam duty (powering up when DC power is applied and shutting down when DC power is removed) works 100% in my experience. Other than that one time that I tried to bring it inside, it pretty much lives in my car. I don't see the need to bring it indoors unless you've got nowhere to hide it in your car. Now if I want to review footage, I just take the MicroSD card out. I've used mine with temperatures as low as -12F since getting it.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

How did you remove yours? I tried pulling/levering mine off but it wouldn't budge. I didn't bother opening it up to investigate and just painted the silver in with a Sharpie.

Funny story. After a few attempts, I couldn't figure out how to dismantle the thing so as to remove the silver ring. One day, when adjusting the cam on its windshield mount (forgetting to loosen the nut first) I twisted it and heard a "crack", and the front housing came ajar. After a little more prying (if you decide to go down this road BE CAREFUL as there are wires running from the PCB to the front shell) I got the thing apart - and if I recall, there are only two small screws which secure the silver ring to the front shell.

Here's the catch, though - A review I read online (probably from DashCamReviews) points out that in order to cut costs, the lens assembly is glued or taped to the PCB surrounding the CCD - there are no screws securing it in place. So as it sits, it kinda feels like a "loose tooth" waiting to be knocked off, probably killing the camera. So even though it feels relatively sturdy - I wouldn't recommend this as a solution. However, with the silver trim ring removed - you can now very safely paint it with a rattlecan with no risk to the lens, and then put it back. And that's what I plan on doing.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

It should show a slash through the microphone when audio is turned off.

Guess I hosed up my microphone then!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Here's something a little different:
I was driving home from EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh during the afternoon airshow. Saw some interesting things on the highway along the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE78TpEQT-4

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

More Milwaukee dreams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ot3JMhGCQ

You'd almost give that person the benefit of the doubt based on the fact that their visibility of oncoming traffic is somewhat reduced, due to the construction equipment in the left turning lane on my side. Except that I would have been clearly loving visible at the 5 second mark - and besides - if there's a huge loving obstacle blocking your vision, since when was the default option "I'll go and hope for the best" instead of "I'll wait until the light changes/I can be sure it's safe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

edit: charlie kelly made a funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbAkNWryy38

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 19, 2016