Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp, after Monday's festivities on the way home I ordered one from that Amazon link. Wish I had playback of the truck rolling towards me in slow motion.

FYI, you can get a class 4 32gb sandisk for 19 with free shipping there too.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The good thing about most rear end crashes is that the vehicle that hit you is usually going to be incapacitated and about 99% of the time whoever did the ramming is at fault.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Nope, Denver.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I spent the last 2 winters riding on my Continental DWS all seasons, and for all season tires they are great. But they still left a lot to be desired compared to my current Continental Winter Extremes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I already got my dashcam off that chinese guy. I ordered it last Wednesday and it estimated something like 10-15 business days. Its possible it got here sooner but I only bother checking my mail on Monday and Friday. Pretty amazing for being shipped from China.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I love how even though he sees it coming, he never takes his foot off the gas.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It has been below freezing every day since I got my car back last Friday so I haven't been about to mount mine. Of course today I get to watch a dipshit in a truck do a full 360 and not touch a single thing. Amazingly no one rear ended me or anyone else when we stopped for him. He was blocking 3 out of 4 lanes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Arggghh. Any suggestions to get this thing to stick to my windshield? I tried last night but it kept falling off. How warm does my windshield need to be?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone have a quick list of the optimal settings for this?

I need to turn the sound off and possibly change how long the intervals are. Seems by default it is set to 3 minute intervals which seems kind of short. I finally got it to stick last night and got to record my 15mph commute home because I got stuck late at work. Amazing how leaving 30 minutes late gets me home an hour later than usual.

Also, the interface is incredibly tedious. Any tips?

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 12, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I had some cocksucker in a Neon pull up so close to my rear bumper this morning I couldn't see his hood. And then he started yelling and motioning for me to pull forward. I was at a red light with a car in front of me. It's times like this that I'm glad I take my meds, otherwise when the light turned green and he layed on the horn before the car in front of me even moved, I would have been likely to sit there until the light went red again. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My g1w is being weird. I set it to turn the display off after 3 minutes, but it basically stays on constantly. Meanwhile, it acts like it turns off completely while I'm driving. WTF is it with this thing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yes it stays on indefinitely and when it does decide to shut off there is no light on the power, and it gives the "turning off now" sound.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I caught a good 3 car pile up this morning, whats the easiest way to deal with the video so you don't see the other 8 minutes of traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgp72cFlHQ

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 28, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Crotch Fruit posted:

The worst part about that is the loving white car that just slowly rolls backwards away. . .

The white car was the cause of the accident. The only thing I can figure out is that he rear ended the Bronco then somehow bounced off and went 2 lanes over then rolled back into the guardrail. Out of the 3 cars that ended up on the shoulder, his was the only one with major damage. Also most of the debris was in my lane.

If you fullscreen it, you can also see the puff of white smoke in my lane.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Out here in CO using a turn signal just gets you blocked out of the lane change. As far as stop signs go, you kind of learn which ones really shouldn't exist and which ones to actually stop at. There is no reason to stop and sit for 5 seconds. It says stop not stay.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ziploc posted:

Yea. Going left was definitely a mistake. I wonder how good my decision making skills are during those moments though.

drat near nonexistent at that speed with that type of music playing. They were probably half asleep from the radio.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My choices in radio selection and propensity for foul language are the reason I turned audio off on my g1w :) Now if I could just get the drat thing to stop turning off randomly.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

anonumos posted:

I just got my GW1 today. I'm thrilled to capture some crazy driving to post soon.

Everyone will be a model driver for the next 2-3 weeks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Heh, I watched some moron drive over the curb yesterday. But not just up a curb, actually over one of those planter type curbs but with no grass/dirt in it. Pretty sure it did a number on their rear wheel. Not really worth pulling off the camera though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Blueskysea is fine. I got mine roughly a week after I ordered it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Mine decided that it was no longer going to read my memory card. Sigh... Can I just format the card and hope for the best?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I know the Blackvues usually come with a totally sketchy SD card that needs to get thrown out immediately and replaced with a new one.

I have a sandisk 32gb that has been working fine up til the last few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVZrv90bbI From Friday's commute home.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 7, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It takes a surprising amount of time to format a 32gb flash card. Mine lost it's mind and kept giving me read errors so I did a full format. Since it didn't finish before I left work last night I'm amazed that nothing interesting happened.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ltr posted:

Saw this yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEeU44jeR5w

The moment he started pulling left, I knew what he was going to do, but it still surprised me. And for the record, he still had to stop and wait at the light to make his left turn a few blocks away as we all caught up to and passed him.

There's a reason it's called the suicide lane.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I just drive right up to them and lay on the horn. Although I only do this when they deliberately block the intersection when they can clearly see that there is no way for them to clear it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Leperflesh posted:

I love it when the oncoming drivers drive right up to me and lay on the horn, because they can't see that I can't finish my left turn because a pedestrian decided to start crossing the street with 3 seconds left on the green and they're just poking along at a snail's pace, so I get stuck blocking traffic.

Alternately, when I see the pedestrian and won't even enter the intersection to make my left, but the drivers waiting behind me to turn left don't see (or don't care) about the people in the crosswalk and assume I'm just asleep at the wheel and lay on the horn.

Generally we'll all be better off cutting each other a little slack. Also: if a driver makes a mistake, laying on the horn in anger may feel satisfying but it may also fluster that driver into making additional mistakes, especially if they're already surprised or embarrassed. Use your horn to warn a driver of a situation they might not see... not as a tool of punishment.

Yes, they should be better drivers. But you don't want to be the catalyst to a more dangerous situation developing.

I'm talking about the fuckfaces that drive through the intersection when you can clearly tell there is no way to clear the intersection. poo poo IF I DON'T GO NOW I MIGHT GET STUCK AT THE LIGHT WHEN IT TURNS RED. *commences to block traffic going the through the other side of traffic*
Not left turners. But then again you aren't supposed to even enter the intersection if you can't clear it.

I formatted my card and now it says "wrong custer(sic) size please format". What custer size am I supposed to use?

E2: nm found it, its 32k

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 11, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Mine keeps turning off while sitting in stop and go traffic. Is my power adapter just getting too low of current at idle that it triggers the auto off?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kill-9 posted:

A 1-1.5 hour commute? I'll stop complaining about my 12-15 minutes. And to think, I bitched pretty loudly when they moved the office and took my 8-9 minutes of back road driving to those unreasonable heights. I'm starting to look for a new position and remote positions are in the lead for me right now. No commute, no pants? Perfect.

On a good day 225 traffic takes me 30 minutes. And starting Monday I get to start working (read:have to) 9-6 instead of my current 7-4. I'm less that thrilled.

I've pretty much determined that bus drivers and rock haulers are the 2 biggest cocksuckers on the road pretty much every where in the US.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
One of these days I'm going to mount my camera facing out the passenger window and get a commute video of all the cocksuckers texting.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

I don't think it's a tire problem nearly as much as it is poor education.. inability to properly handle a fishtail means they zip the wheel back and forth trying to get straight and oscillate themselves into the ditch. Or they stand on the brakes and lock all four wheels, doing a pirouette into whatever's unfortunate enough to be in the way.

As for why they started sliding, looks like it's either snow or damp pavement.

90% of those videos would be solved by SLOWING THE gently caress DOWN.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone have problems with their g1w falling off the drat mount when taking hard right turns. I've had mine come off at least 3 times so far.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

subx posted:

I bought mine a couple of months ago and have not had a single issue. My card is a Sandisk 32gb Class 10 micro SD, which is supposed to cause all sorts of problems.(Amazon Link where I bought camera, and Amazon link for card)

You are going to hear more about the negatives than the positives, especially since it is a "set it and forget it" type of device.

Just buy whichever one looks better to you. Neither of them is going to be all that well quality-controlled (what do you expect from a $50 1080p video camera?), but 90% of them will be perfectly fine.

Edit - 9/10 being useable would be awful for a company like Sony, but their dashcam would also cost $400.

So far the only issues I have had with mine are that I got a record error because the card flipped out. Formatting the card fixed that issue. In stop and go traffic, the voltage on my cig lighter must drop low enough to make the camera shut off. This would be solved by hard wiring it, but I'm trading the car in soonish and can't be bothered. And the camera likes to fall off the mount if I take a hard right turn. This can be solved by ordering the rear view mount. The one good thing about the g1w is that it has the lcd display so if you ever need to show the video on the spot, like say when someone flips their truck and it lands on your hood, to the cops, it's right there without any effort.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I wonder how long before someone like Garmin or TomTom makes a unit that is a windshield mounted GPS unit that also has a camera built in. That would be super sweet.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Once you finally get the suction cup mounted properly it hangs on well. I've had mine on since January with no issues.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sanchez posted:

The standard of driving in this country is poo poo I know, but is "pass on the shoulder" really what would come to mind for you ahead of "pass me on the left and then cut me off to get into the right lane" or "slow down"? Hindsight is 20/20 etc..

People pull the shoulder passing bullshit at least 2-3 times a week while I'm sitting in traffic. And there never seems to be a cop around when you want one. A couple years back a couple teens lost their legs changing a tire when some fuckface rear ended their car on the shoulder.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
CO is a single party consent state. So as long as I know I'm recording there isn't poo poo the cop can do. But then again, most of the cops out here are wearing those wireless cameras on their jacket anyway. One of the bike cops (revenue enforcement) was at our office talking about something or other last year and he says he likes to pull up next to idiots that are texting at a stop light and just put his camera on their window.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Coredump posted:

I think your half right there. When you say the police can't do poo poo, those wiretapping charges were brought against people in single party consent states before. The defendant usually won in the end but not after a long and lengthy battle with police.

Even if it did matter, the cops can gently caress with you anyway. That's why they became cops.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sanchez posted:

My G1W is randomly powering off while driving or not powering on, is there something <$150 that i can replace it with that will be reliable? All of the Mini 0803/0801 vendors on amazon have enough bad reviews to be questionable.

Mine does this in stop and go traffic. It's like it doesn't detect enough voltage at idle. I need to upgrade to something better myself. I'm still annoyed that I haven't managed to catch a single interesting incident in the 7 months I have had the stupid thing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Samsquamsch posted:

I got a little something! Of course, I get my G1W the week after a guy goes flying by me in a stolen car with cops in pursuit, takes the offramp, and smashes into an SUV (one caught, one escaped), but oh well. That was definitely the craziest thing I've seen while driving.

This was still funny, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7OilTA-Z4

I looked over to the woman at my left and we both cracked up at this clueless person.

Also, I am thinking about getting a Mobius for my front camera; my car's interior is all beige/tan, and the all-black G1W stands out pretty starkly against my rearview mirror. Also, I am interested in seeing how other dashcams stack up now that I have the admittedly well-functioning 'budget' camera. The Mobius seems at least a little more covert, but also seems to have a lot of potential problems according to this review. Anyone with experience with the Mobius/G1W care to weigh in? Particularly, why does the viewing angle drop when you go down in resolution (shouldn't it be the other way around)? My alternative would be just buying another G1W (maybe the G1WC) and painting it to match my interior for stealth purposes. Either way, I'd move the original G1W to the rear. I've definitely noticed people tailgating me way, way too closely a few times and a rear camera is a definite necessity.

Actually had some idiot do something similar to this the other day. Not the cutting around to try to turn left, but they turned left and it was backed up and blocking traffic. For once there was a cop there to see it happen and pulled them over for it.

Also, I'm about to throw my g1w out the window. The fucker just randomly turns off for no reason at least 2-3 times a day while in traffic.

Welp, I think I'm done with this stupid g1w. There was a huge pile up on the passing lane while I was in the middle lane, and somehow the camera is missing that loving minute of footage. gently caress this thing.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Chinatown posted:

Yup. Its completely understandable. I have been in that exact situation a couple times. One last week. I braked, slightly altered course to the right, and kept the car steady. I was going ~80mph at the time.

I understand the reaction to jerk the wheel, but sorry, you eat poo poo from it, that's COMPLETELY ON YOU.

You are COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for the control of your multi-thousand pound flying missile. Evasive maneuvers included.

Take a cab if you can't accept that very obvious fact.

It comes down once again to driver training. The vast majority of people on the road have no clue how to do anything but go straight. I've had this sort of thing happen multiple times due to driving a grey sub compact, my car is invisible to the average moron on the road. But I know how to move out of the way of danger without losing control of my vehicle.