Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Not sure on audio, but if I posted a video file online I'd probably strip the audio anyway, due to the likelihood that I was listening to embarrassing music or saying embarrassing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I know it's a dick move but I like to floor it and make those people jam on the brakes and block traffic, so they have to sit there in the intersection wallowing in their bad decision.

It's really bad in Colorado because there's like a half second delay between red and green, so if an rear end in a top hat comes through on a green you know their light was yellow before they even thought about approaching the line, and was red for long enough to justify whatever you can do.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's such a guilty pleasure too, it's tragic how terrible some of the drivers are, but at the same time I love watching them so much!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I always back off and let truckers in because I drove a 26 ft U-Haul with a trailer on it across country once.

ONCE.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Baconroll posted:

First thing I've caught on my dash cam which was worth keeping - not an accident, just something that made me laugh,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4hW8Ey8DI

I'm now tempted to add the same signage to the back of my car :wiggle:

It took us hours to get the smile off his face.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The city lane painter needs a punch in the throat for that one.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

He's wrong but right to be frustrated. Get the hell out of the passing lane if you're not passing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

First hit searching for "keep right except to pass". In a majority of states it is law on any multi lane road, the left lane is for passing or turning left. Derail over.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Chinatown posted:

True. Also, why side indicators aren't required in the US is beyond me.

This. I totally cut a guy off the other day by merging into the center lane on the freeway, only to find out that the guy in the left lane had his signal on and the hole in traffic was being made for him. Couldn't see his signal until I was in front of him/had stolen his spot.

Fortunately my car does have side indicators so he saw me coming and didn't merge, but still probably thought I was a dick.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Wickerman posted:

So what does the van do? Maintain speed? Speed up? Absolutely not. The van comes to almost a complete stop in the interstate blocking me from merging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb9wveBhfKo

The video cracked me up because your reaction is the same as mine usually is. loving GO JESUS CHRIST.

I had one the other day where I was in a driveway waiting to enter the street, and another car was in another driveway across the street ready to do the same thing. A lady comes down the street, we're waiting for her to go by so we can enter traffic, and she loving stops to let us out. Doesn't wave, or look, or anything, just parks in the middle of the god drat road. I said the same thing then too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Haha I love your nonchalant whistle.

I tend to downplay how much adrenaline a situation like that generates as well.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

nm posted:

As IOC said, it creates shutdown issues. If it doesn't shut down right, your videos get corrupted.

Finally, a valid use for a turbo timer!

I'm sure there's an easy way to radio shack up a "stay on for a few minutes after I get out" circuit. That or hard wire constant 12v to the internal battery contacts so it uses the car battery as its battery.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Who were you listening to? I like that chillout groove type music.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

DropShadow posted:

This annoys me to no end. Here in Minneapolis, there are a lot of double turn lanes and the majority of people always choose the inside lane, even if their next turn is immediately after the intersection in the "other" lane, so then they try to fight to get across traffic, when they could have just turned from the correct lane to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I've almost hit or been hit by someone doing this. Why is it so hard for people to plan their route more than one turn at a time?

In Denver it's because everyone plans their route, so if you choose the lane you need you have to sit through three lights, but if you choose the other lane you can get through now, and then cram your way in as soon as you're around the corner. JUST SAVED A MINUTE ON MY COMMUTE, MANNERS BE DAMNED.

I only do that at intersections where I know there will be ample room to merge afterwards. Like this odd intersection, going north on Clinton - two lanes turn left onto Arapahoe, then two immediately exit north for the freeway. Half the people turning from the right lane will merge over to the far right lane on Arapahoe, so you can turn from the left lane and still merge over right to get on the freeway. Only occasionally do you have to shove your way in, and I feel bad when I do it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5946642,-104.8827992,377m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Jesus, seeing video like that makes me want to go find a bare stretch of freeway and see how I react in a situation like that. I mean, I've had panic situations before and I have never, ever, come close to losing control of a car like that. Once I came over a hill at about 70 mph to much slower traffic, and I did momentarily lock up a wheel till ABS kicked in, but all I did was aim for the shoulder in case I couldn't stop in time, which I actually did. And recently a guy just dead stopped in the left lane of a 40 mph zone when he saw a fire truck coming, and because I was preparing to merge right and stop, I almost hit him. But even then I just did a fast lane change and dodged right around on my way to pulling over myself.

But that holy poo poo swinging around action, I can never imagine doing that, but it's mostly because I pay god drat attention to my surroundings and watch very far down the road so I almost never have to panic stop.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I hate when cops are condescending. I rolled a stop sign to turn right in a deserted residential neighborhood one morning only to find a cop parked half a block down the way I was going. He flagged me down and shouted "WHAT DOES THAT SIGN SAY?" So of course I reply "Stop" "AND WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?" "Stop". Then he just waved me on.

Of course as I drove away all I could think was "I know how to read and I've been driving since before you were born. Either give me a ticket or shut the gently caress up." I mean, I know I deserved a ticket, what I didn't deserve was being talked down to like a teenager by someone who very recently used to be one.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

This post from page 3 had some good hardwiring links for fully hidden wiring direct from the fuse box.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post424492651

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

One more detail: my car shocks people. I get out of the car and instinctively brush the frame with the back of my forearm now, because it will zap me every time. I just got used to it and ignore it but sometimes I have a passenger and they get a surprise when they exit and touch the door or frame. It's not enough to be dangerous, but its enough to cause a surprising zap that can actually sting pretty good for a second if you get it somewhere sensitive, like your fingertips.

So maybe there's some grounding issue? It's a 2003 Mazda Protege5, if that matters.

I always assume this is due to the fabric in the seat. Maybe spray it with some static guard or something. I had a Volvo that did this really badly, one of the only cloth seat Volvos I've ever driven. I got to the point where I would hold the window frame as I put my foot down on the ground, and the second I did I could feel myself discharge, but without a painful shock. Weird stuff.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

This video is going around my Volvo circles right now, some guys in an S60R get lucky and spot a friend's stolen S60 and chase it down to a happy ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpwirJQnls

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

nm is a california lawyer and he reads this thread. I'd ask him. Or you know, a real life lawyer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Ho hum just driving to work again, shithead in a Dodge tries to murder me, whatevs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOc18gL2Rs
I don't even care anymore.

Again just dumb luck there was no one directly to my right, you can see at least 2 cars had to swerve over to avoid hitting me. Totally unrelated, but what is the loudest aftermarket horn I can buy :getin:

You can get genuine sounding train horns for just over 100 bucks these days, but then you have to hook up a tank and compressor. A guy here in my local Volvo club did it and it was loving insane. Truly as loud as a train. He mounted it in his spare tire well which had a flat side. Cut 3 holes in the flat side and it was completely hidden. He would honk it at any pretty girl he saw and of course cyclists or just dudes changing a flat. Mean but funny.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

Australian reactions compilation. I love these even more than all the Blyat from the Russian cams. "Jesus wept, you stupid bastard"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFoQokmpvo

Yeah that was good.

Also as an aside, my daughter and I have watched so many of the russian cam videos together that we both use "Blyat" on a regular basis now. Then we chuckle like it's an inside joke. Good times.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I haven't been at-fault in an accident in 14 years, I only spent $16k on the car, and I can afford to buy another if it is ever totaled.

I'm sure I saved way way more than $16k over the last 14 years by not ever paying for collision. I didn't know I'd get the whole "you're on your own" thing from my insurance though, that's going to be pretty obnoxious. I've never gone to court before except jury duty but I guess I can figure it out.

Get a quote and do the math, I'm pretty sure you're way wrong. I can already tell that you're an adult and you are a safe driver, so your insurance will probably be comparable to mine. I pay $70 a month for full coverage with 300k limits. I got in my first wreck ever and it paid out $14k, so similar value car as well.

Obviously there are a lot of variables but even at $100 a month you barely break $16000 in 14 years. And you only need to do the math on the increase over liability, I'm using entire premium figures.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's definitely something that takes practice or experience, and after that a "do something" attitude. I worked in heavy industry for my first job, and the first time I remember experiencing anything like an accident, we were in a warehouse and a HUGE boom with floor-shaking happened in the next warehouse over. I just stood there while the two seasoned engineers I was working with bolted towards the noise without hesitating. It was a lifting chain failure on a gantry crane, and fortunately nobody got hurt at all, they just dropped a very heavy chunk of equipment on the floor.

Ever since then when an accident happens I at the very least spring into action whether it's running to help, or the simple act of calling 911. I remember witnessing a bicycle accident and without hesitating I whipped my car out of traffic, parked, and ran over to yell for 911, assess, and at very least tell the victim to lie still and that help was coming. I don't have first aid training or anything beyond basic high school health class but doing something feels a lot better than doing nothing.

At the same time, if you're not experienced with the thought process of "jesus christ, DO something" then standing and staring or moving on with your life is about the limit of what you can do. Shock is a hell of a thing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This would make the world's best third brake light.

Yeah I can see it now:

STOP!

*pause*

At Albertson's for a great sale on pineapple!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

THREAD RAGE!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's funny, I don't know if my reaction would be the same in real life, but watching that video my reflexes told me he should bear right and follow the truck, and I cringed as he drifted left. Especially if he knew it was his own friend who wasn't impaired. If I see a car swerve in the road like that I assume there's something in the road and at least prepare to follow them.

I really wonder if I would have avoided that collision or not.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So for those of us with multiple cars, has there been any discussion of a good cam that can mount/dismount and swap between? Or are they inexpensive enough that if you have two cars you should just get two cams?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

My KDLINKS X1 is starting to get weird on me. I tried pulling some video the other day and some of the files seemed to be missing. It appends numbers to each file every time it boots up, and my files were like 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc, so there were a bunch of 3 minute gaps in the footage. Additionally I almost got squished by a truck yesterday and when I went to pull tape the last file was corrupted, though this may have been caused by my turning off the car almost exactly when the camera was trying to roll over to a new file.

Regardless I'm not real confident in my cam anymore. I see some recommendations have just been thrown around recently, are any of them particularly good with nighttime vision? That's usually when I do most of my driving and my current cam can't really pick up details like license plates.

In other news, my local subreddit delivers again. Something something truck driver dumps a huge load right into the camera something something.

https://streamable.com/bs2cb

Think it might just be the memory card? I've read cheaper ones die with massive overwriting eventually.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That's why parking that close to the corner is usually illegal. The parked cars make it unsafe both for visibility and turn clearance.

Also wtf with people in the few previous videos watching a wreck and then just driving away? I hope they at least submitted the footage to the cops later. When I got hit by a red light runner I only had one person stop to confirm to the cops that I had the green light. Without him there could have been a really annoying he said she said situation.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 13, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah I don't like that at all.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Nitrox posted:

It seems that many Australians are just as confused about their lane orientation as I am

I have to believe those are foreigners in rental cars. It's too common to be otherwise. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of wrong way drivers I've seen in my lifetime.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Every single loving day on my commute on the west side of Denver. I have to honk at people staring into their lap instead of watching the light when it turns green.

Every

Single

loving

Day

"texting" is the only thing illegal here, you can talk and apparently read facebook and twitter instead of watching the road.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Prong Song posted:

TBH I notice several of those Aus dashcam videos feature roundabouts with arrows showing turning against the traffic direction of the circle. Such as the aforementioned 3:15 and one at 8:38. It's a bit confusing to my non-Aussie eyes.

It's the direction you intend to exit the roundabout. In the one at 3:15, the right lane can only exit the roundabout across or out the right, and the left lane can only exit out the left, and can't go across.

Signs like this help it make more sense (in this one both lanes can go across):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That video is infuriating me simply due to how unnecessary it all was. Subaru is so unaware that not only do they not know they're enraging someone behind them, they also don't see the brake check coming that was telegraphed from a mile away.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

And of course if you haven't seen this, it's poignant. And if you have, watch it again anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

fknlo posted:

I see people run lights that are that red several times a week.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

CornHolio posted:

My plan, assuming that's the case, is to buy it back from salvage. It's my winter beater and I've had it for 13 years. The heat works great, it's a 5-speed and I've got studded snow tires on it. My fear is that the impact caused other damage - the dash is now fully detached from the cowl and the ABS light is on.

I'd guess an ABS sensor might have had the cable yanked or broken, and yeah the dash mounts are a known weakness, I'm sure you know they're just plastic bosses on the back of the dash, screwed in from the engine bay below the windshield. You can reattach them to the dash with cleverly placed metal straps screwed in and/or really good epoxy. You should only have to remove the cap to see what's going on. They often break just due to age, I'm sure there's a dozen youtube how-tos if you've never been in the dash before.

And I bet if that bumper doesn't quite fit right you can just stack washers under the mounting plate until it does. As long as your rear doors still open and close okay the 'frame damage' is minor. Or you can spend a few bucks on a frame pull at a body shop to pop the bumper mounts back where they should be. Definitely fixable for a winter beater.

Keep 'em rolling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Failson posted:

That video kinda demonstrates why the exits need to be closed. And it's one Saturday morning a year.

Every year for almost 100 years too. Everyone here knows about that parade.

The hilarious part of the video to me is when he goes back into the barricaded area because it obviously has less traffic.