Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Probably due to the fact that the front right corner of the trailer hit the overpass because it's an arch shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Are you supposed to/allowed to change lanes in the middle of a roundabout?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

tuna posted:

Yes otherwise people on the inside lane would be trapped going in circles for eternity.

Laserface posted:

In the video posted (from Australia) if you are in the inside lane you are permitted to turn right or go straight through the roundabout. in both instances, you have to exit the roundabout in the same lane you entered in.

so if you enter the roundabout in the inside lane like the black SUV did, you are expected to stay in the inside lane when you exit.

That way, people entering to turn left in the outside lane of any entries to the roundabout can do so while ignoring the traffic on the inside lane (because the assumption is that they are not going to cross paths at all, unless you're a fuckwit, like the SUV driver)

This is what I mean. Looks to me like Cartoon entered the roundabout in the right lane and then switched to the left lane to exit the roundabout, which is the exact same thing the SUV did, but the SUV just did it too late and ended up cutting him off. Looks like 2 lanes both exit the roundabout as well.

Maybe it's fine there, I don't know.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
IIRC wiretapping laws only apply when you have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Being on a highway does not constitute a reasonable expectation of privacy.

IANAL.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
That is way more than buzzed.

"Buzzed" driving after a beer is when you're hyper-attentive and careful to compensate for the fact that you've had a beer. "Buzzed" driving is when you're barely aware of having drank anything at all.

When you actually feel buzzed, you're actually just drunk and it's just drunk driving.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

buttcrackmenace posted:

*violence*

*stunned* "Oh poo poo!"

*throws trans into park / neutral + brake*

*unlocks phone*

*dials 000*

*hands off phone*

*runs to help*

Seems about right.

Part of "stunned" but normal people easily take a few seconds to just sit and process what happened, look at the injured people, assess whether or not they need help, etc.

What was that loud noise? Where is it? Is the guy getting up? Can I just saunter over or should I run? Is it serious enough to call emergency services?

All these thoughts take small increments of time that add up, plus the aforementioned physical actions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think the reflections of surrounding lights on wet streets always makes it harder to see where you're going. There's just a lot more going on, visually. Plus, your brain is also trying to take into account different street conditions, so that's slightly distracting, too.

Still hilarious (no harm no foul, right?)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Honestly, some of the ramp designs I've seen (e.g. off and on ramps that share a paved segment and are only separated by a small median) seem to be a deliberate attempt to confuse an unfamiliar driver into turning into the wrong lane.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Mostly been using the dashcam to timelapse driving videos though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4sRlUjM5E

This is neat, but have you played around with even higher compression ratios to make the timelapse itself shorter? I know you're not trying to show this off as something you want everyone to watch but if you drop it down to something like 2-4 minutes, people could actually watch the whole thing. 15 minutes is a really long time for something like this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yep; problem is on longer several-hundred-mile drives, it gets sort of incomprehensible to look at. Driving to DC compressed down to 5 minutes nicely using my older shittier dashcam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzyALJc2TCk

So that I'm not cluttering this thread with timelapse tomfoolery, enjoy this gentleman walking beside the road inexplicably freezing and starting to get on down last spring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVjZ2Agm1q4

Cool, that did compress nicely! But, have you considered doing this on a sunny day? The extra light might make the video more enjoyable. :v: just kidding, it is really cool. Will have to try that some day.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Dang. I watched that full screen without reading the caption first and got thrown off completely. Didn't notice the flashing lights either, so I thought this guy was trying to make it into the construction site.

Then it hit [the cop car]. :O

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Those are some really loving badly placed hedges.

I can really see the driver look left as you were coming up, look right as you were behind the hedge, and then just go. He could probably still see you behind the hedge but obviously you'd be very obstructed. Also, lol for the other driver not even trying to stop.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know what is a good solution/if one exists but clearly there needs to be a change in design somewhere so these parents will stop. It's like desire paths - just because you want people to keep off the grass and use the sidewalks doesn't mean they're going to. There never seems to be that many cars, so maybe a circular drive to the left (west?) of the school building in that grassy area will allow parents a safe place to drop off their kids and still be able to turn left on that service drive? I assume every last one of these parents end up turning left and the reason they choose to drop their kids off at that corner is because if they turn right, they have to make a (relatively) big loop through school traffic to go in the direction they want to.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

litany of gulps posted:

And 9:30 to 9:35 - this isn't even English. What even

Cantonese

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Michigan has some stupid insurance laws but the no-fault thing makes claims super loving easy. The only thing is a 500 deductible that I had my insurance agent/broker person file for me and they sent me a check.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-korea-ship-fire-1.5301463

Dang.. at least nobody was killed outright (and doesn't sound like anyone will die except maybe one.. hopefully not).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I go through a dual turn lane on the way to work. Two lanes turns into four. I always turn into the 2nd or 3rd lane (respectively) and it's usually a crapshoot whether or not someone tries to ram my car.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Finally a little dashcam incident for the thread. Not too exciting just being aware of the cars coming down the hill and knowing when to stop before completing the turn. I shouldn't have rolled through the stop sign because I didn't want to stop and wanted to have momentum. Hard habit to break of just rolling and not stopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNcXhCog-E

Yeah that looked like a perfection condition for a crash - snowy/cold with opposing traffic coming down hill means they can't stop. You're turning so you can't rush through because either you'll just spin your tires or because you'll slide out. I always feel like these are the kinds of situations where everything seems fine (or a mild phew) on the surface but is probably a lot closer to disaster than anyone realizes

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Craptacular posted:

Someone posted that before. IIRC it was from a movie being filmed on location.

Huh, I had not noticed that the Mini's (or whatever..) wheels were so conveniently cranked towards the canal. Makes sense.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

opengl128 posted:

Go ahead and bust a U turn from your lane. I'll wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWNMEfplvA

Well he did signal so clearly you're in the wrong.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

BULLETKISS posted:

What do you use to trim your videos? I have a long video and tried to trim it, but it saved to windows movie player and after it was trimmed it won't play. Looking for a free program that's easy to use. It shouldn't be this difficult, but I have a windows 7 pc and google isnt helping.

definitely overkill but Blackmagic is professional level (I think?) video editing software and free to use

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
He made a U-turn via the roundabout.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Godzilla07 posted:

Now that's how you run a pick-and-roll

https://i.imgur.com/3WBSAhE.mp4

Good clip, good commentary. A+

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

traaaaain choo choo

火車 is Chinese for train, though the characters literally mean "fire car/vehicle"

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 1, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Godzilla07 posted:

This driver blew threw a light that was solidly red for 3 seconds for no gain. Also check out the bonus U-turn by the BMW driver at the end of this clip

https://i.imgur.com/2VxNoCr.mp4

Well yeah, it's gonna be no gain when you drive at HYPERSPEED to catch up to them! :v:

Takes No Damage posted:

I think they're talking about when you need to cross a multi-lane road. Say it's a 3 lane road and they're numbered closest to you 1, 2 and 3. A person in lane 1 stops to allow you to cross, which would be great if lanes 2 and 3 did the same thing at the same time. However, frequently they do not since they're probably not even looking at you since you're not next to their lane, and even if they DID see you and also stop, half the time you wouldn't be able to see THEM since 'nice' person in lane 1 is completely stopped and is now blocking your view of oncoming traffic. And you're having to manage all that while still keeping an eye on the other side of the road to try and line up a safe gap in both directions so you can cross/turn.

I just turn with traffic and make a U-turn at the next light rather than deal with all that mess.

Yeah, the block the view thing is huge. A lot of times, they're lined up with their bumper really close to the turning car so the turning car's ability to see past is virtually nonexistent. The only time when I would ever take this "offer" is on two lane (1 each way) roads where I have good visibility of oncoming traffic, much better if there's a turn lane for some buffer so I don't end up sticking my nose into the other lane.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My favorite is the one at 8:15 or so where the person takes a door off a cop car.

You can't even blame the driver. If the cop had waited another second, he would have door-dinged the car.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
DaVinci Resolve is also free if you want to relive your days of pretending like you know what you're doing with that pirated copy of photoshop that you only use to cut/paste with.

i.e. it's way overkill for what you need

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What's the wording they use? Bridge freezes before road?

drat.. those were really bad :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Something something ounce prevention pound cure. Load your trailer correctly and physics will generally keep you safe. Load it incorrectly and hell hath no fury like a poorly loaded trailer.