Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
So I bought a Cobra 840 last week at Costco. Other than a few cutoffs and a Cadillac doing 70 in the freeway with a donut on the right rear, nothing to show, until tonight. Wet roads, darkness, and idiots, welcome to Washington State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jw--EAi-2Y

1st, while sitting at a light, a Toyota Tacoma with a trailer came in fast on my rear end. He locked up, and luckily swerved to the right. His from bumper was parallel to the rear door on my Nissan Altima. Watch the reflection on the trunk of the Nissan in front of me at 0:18 and you can see his lights swerve over.

Then, just a minute later at 1:10, a car exited a housing development took a left across 2 lanes plus the turn lane and directly into the west bound fast lane, then stopped. I was doing about 50 at the time, but was able to slow. He finally moved to the far lane and luckily everyone else was on idiot alert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
So I made it all of 2 months before my Cobra 840 got swiped from my car. At least they did not rip out the power cord that was hardwired in and damage the car. Only other thing taken was a pair of crappy sunglasses and an old ac converter.
One thing I did not like about it was that it was a pain to remove from the mount. Is there a decent cam with a quick release mount so I can just pop it off and put it in my pocket when I leave the car? I switch between two cars to drive to work so would like something I could move between both easily. I would just hardwire both cars and plug it into whichever I was driving that day.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I am looking to replace a cam that was stolen a few months ago. Having had a hard time finding one that unclips easily from the mount. Thinking about the Aukey DR-01
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-1080P-Vision-Dashboard-Camera/dp/B01M592J9C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Does anyone have experience with an Aukey cam?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Wouldn't the cam bounce a little once the velcro wore down a bit? I just cannot believe its hard to find a good quick release mount.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
It's Chicago. Surprised that dude did not try to take a shot at you when you pulled up next to him.

Edit: Sometimes it just ain't worth it

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm using a Roav (Anker) dashcam, but I know that's not the most popular choice . Got sick of dashcams crapping out on me and went with a company that's known for excellent customer service, but definitely paid a bit more for it vs the normal Chinese choices. I've had 3 G1Ws, they're definitely only good for 1-3 years. I got 3 out of the last one before the battery decided to turn into Stay Puft.

I'm using the Roav cam also. Not the best, not the worst but I've never had a problem in the year I've had it. Might get another one so I don't have to swap between cars. Customer service was great when I emailed asking for another mount. Got it within a week.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
This is cool and all but why has no helmet manufacturer, bike or motorcycle, marketed a helmet with cams embedded internally? Seems like a clear bubble integrated into the helmet, like the cockpit of a P-51, could house an internal cam and still provide slide ability.

Dammit nobody better steal my patent.

Of course I also want to know why no car manufacturer includes an integrated front/back cam recording ability. Heck the cameras are there, just include SD recording in the headunit. What are they worried about the dashcam mafia coming after them?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

I haven't shopped for a head unit in like two or three years but at that time almost every unit I saw that had an LCD had RCA or HDMI inputs so you could send in a camera (or a media player I guess), but it was shockingly difficult to find one that had Car Play or Android Audio that was less than $800 which seemed bonkers to me. I'd assumed that was because those were still newer tech at the time and that it'd have been more common and less expensive now but apparently that's not the case.

My biggest gripe is finding an android auto/carplay head unit with a loving volume knob. The only current, reasonable option seems to be the Sony XAV-AX100 at $348.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-AX100-Android-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01MF9W0GU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Is there a consensus on the best 2 channel dash cam under 500 bones?

Bonus points if there’s something that makes it easier to swap between cars (I’ll probably hardwire the DD but will want the option to swap the front cam out easily to other cars using the ciggy lighter as power).

I just got a Rexing V1P Dual for $94 on a Lightning Deal on Amazon. Its no Blackvue but for under $100 it'll do fine.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 17, 2019

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Sigh, on Monday I hardwired the front cam of a dual Rexing V1P on my 2 month old 2019 Civic. Was going to wait on the rear cam until I got tinting done next week.
This morning I got rear ended by a garbage truck. Just a small crease in the bumper and a few scratches but c'mon.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

Does anyone have a backup camera recommendation? I just need the camera but most review blogs ive seen are all about the full systems with separate screens and crap.
I've somewhat settled on this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5W3243 I hate the idea of having the camera on the outside though, and I'd much rather have one that's designed to flush mount in the bumper or door

I got this a few years ago for my Altima: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMC8QXI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Feeds into a touch screen Kenwood receiver and works pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

qhat posted:

Recently some prick cyclist rear ended me, took out my taillight and then decided to stiff me on the cost of a replacement, so I've decided to upgrade my dashcam capabilities. I already have a front facing one, but I want one that records from the rear as well. It would also be great to get one that has a battery that records for a period of time after the car has been parked up, not super required though, and most of all I definitely do not want any speed/GPS data on the video. I don't mind if it costs a bit of $$, but having those features ideally with good video quality and not a ridiculously wide FOV (i.e I don't want the video distorted to the point you can't even make out licence plates that are close up) is key. Any idea on what the best dashcam in 2019 is for that?

I put this one in my Civic a few months ago and love it. It goes on sale every couple of months for around $90. (Rexing V1P Dual)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX8ATK...dd-7501865a8e6d