Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Locator posted:

A local autocross group does a yearly 'teen driver school' thing that I instruct at. One of the things we run the kids through is full ABS stops, both in a straight line, and while making an emergency lane change. I'd say that 9 out of 10 of them do not get into the ABS until the 5th or 6th run through the scenario, even with an instructor sitting with them yelling to push the pedal harder (and having started the thing by demonstrating ABS with them riding along).

I remember doing this as part of my driver's ed. It took me a few times to actually hit the ABS.

Modern cars can stop very quickly indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oxbrain posted:

I've got the flu, I don't usually sound like a munchkin. :shobon:

http://youtu.be/SwDutFaJZ74

The horn is clearly indicated in that circumstance, even post facto, just to make them feel like the worthless sack of poo poo they are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

tuna posted:

Yes otherwise people on the inside lane would be trapped going in circles for eternity.

Depends on local laws, actually. In Alberta, you are not permitted to change lanes in a roundabout. The person in the outer lane must give way to the person on the inside of the traffic circle when they signal to exit the traffic circle.

No, it doesn't make sense. Yes, it is the law.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What is it? A radar detector?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There was a video from my city where this stunned moron of a driver displayed a complete lack of ability of how to operate their vehicle in reverse, taking some 4-5 minutes to back out of a parking spot and hitting one car in the process before driving off. The driver was tracked down and received a ticket for "unsafe backing" after claiming they didn't know they'd hit anything.

You have a serious traffic offence (hit and run) captured on video, along with concrete evidence that this person is not competent to hold a driver's license, and that's all that happens. But heaven loving forfend people go 115 km/h in a 100 km/h zone! That's serious business!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

spog posted:

No-one posted this yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33980186

(can't embed)

Reason no 1 for buying a dashcam if you own an Aston Martin.

I saw the video but I didn't know he'd been arrested.

loving good. Why would you do that to some random person's car, whether it's an Aston Martin or not?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Measly Twerp posted:

Reminds me of summer storms in Budapest, one minute it's cloudy, then the sky gets dark, and a minute later ice is pelting you in the face. Then it's gone for a little, only to gently caress you again when you put the umbrella down.

Anyhow, should've used this as the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGIFublvDes

Calgary can be like that too. We had flash flooding in underpasses three times in one week this summer, and people kept trying to drive through them and kept getting stuck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Why don't people feel like they can bloody stop and turn around when this happens?

Because it's not their favourite thing!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

Lane-splitting just seems in general to be a dumb practice to me.

I guess it's a good thing I live in a state where it's illegal.

it's only dumb when people can't wrap their heads around it. Compared with the filtering I saw in Europe, it looks practically like roads in the States and Canada are designed for filtering. You didn't have to weave between mirrors or anything!

Still, I have to admit I'd be fairly pissed if someone filtered from "directly behind me" to "beside me" and proceeded to not launch quickly. That doesn't mean I'd do an unsafe thing as a result, but I wouldn't be at all pleased.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

As a pedestrian seeing that motorist pull right through the crosswalk incenses me to no end. Just wait for the goddamn light to turn green.

I think it comes from driving manuals too long and then switching to an automatic; that's the only thing that even starts to make sense to me, although it's still not an excuse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's exactly why police shouldn't pursue fleeing vehicles on the road. Either use a helicopter or just get a plate number and track down the rear end in a top hat later. There's no good reason to put the public at risk, short of the guy being a spree killer with a gun or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Better hope he has collision coverage because nobody else will pay for it.

If police were liable for the entirely foreseeable results of their dumbshittery, maybe they'd do less dumb poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

When I got rear ended in my Ranger, I ended up stopping literally next to a cop who was working an accident on the other side of the highway.

The dude who rear-ended you was probably busy gawking at the accident on the other side of the highway, so I'm guessing that situation actually happens pretty frequently.

God only knows why we need to slow down to 40 km/h when there's flashing lights on the other side of a loving divided highway, but we do, every single goddamn time!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Emergency services should have a dude taking non-PII photos of crash scenes and posting them to an official internet page so our morbid curiosity can be satisfied without slowing traffic or causing additional hazards.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Were you cursing with a child in the car?

Are you Ned Flanders or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Apparently the point of those sorts of view obstructions is to make people slow down and drive more carefully. I contend that they only actually work when they appear to impair visibility, but do not actually do so.