Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

Basically, it plays like the RPG parts of Persona without the dating sim parts. So if you’re like me and you see the everyday as the obstacle you must overcome to get to the next dungeon, you’ll like TMS better.
So basically a MegaTen, then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I kind of wonder if at one poitn in development, maybe really early on when they were considering what it'd actually be, TMS did have a calendar system. You can see how the game would fit really easily onto a persona-esque scaffolding
I'm glad they didnt though because it keeps the game really streamlined.

I will say while I love the game & always recommend it, I hope that
1. you are okay with a game where it is entirely japanese and none of the battle dialog is translated unless it gets a dialog box
2. you are okay with a game that is extremely anime.
3. you weren't expecting an insightful critique of the entertainment industry

I've also had a few friends bounce off the battle system since it didn't really engage them in the way they wanted, so ymmv and all that

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, wonderful. the other DLC paralogue is also a map that drops a completely unreasonable amount of reinforcements on you all at once, from every direction. and i have absolutely no clue how to handle them this time since it's also a "protect the NPC" mission!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Amppelix posted:

Oh, wonderful. the other DLC paralogue is also a map that drops a completely unreasonable amount of reinforcements on you all at once, from every direction. and i have absolutely no clue how to handle them this time since it's also a "protect the NPC" mission!

If you're talking about Yuri's mission, that has an exploit. It's very specific and dumb, but it makes the map beatable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

why would you post that but not explain what it is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

just follow this chain of 15 referral links that all install bitcoin miners on your computer

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Apparently that strategy for The Cursed Relic chapter is to kite the Duke around the map by putting someone just barely outside his move+talk range while you clean up all of the other units, then position yourself for the reinforcement wave and let the Duke trigger it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh. well i just started doing that myself on my next attempt. i was expecting something a lot more arcane.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

My strategy for that paralogue was Striding a bunch of fliers so they could kill any thieves before they reached the duke (and transformed). But I have no idea how viable that is on Maddening

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that works fine. i only got two monsters transformed here. the problem is when the reinforcements spawn and all rush you from literally every corner of the map, there's just too many enemies that are too powerful on maddening for you to effectively crow control them without excessive preparation, especially since the monsters are probably still kicking around.

on the plus side, not triggering the reinforcements turns out to be incredibly easy. the duke needs to be within two spaces of an allied unit for it to happen.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Amppelix posted:

that works fine. i only got two monsters transformed here. the problem is when the reinforcements spawn and all rush you from literally every corner of the map, there's just too many enemies that are too powerful on maddening for you to effectively crow control them without excessive preparation, especially since the monsters are probably still kicking around.

on the plus side, not triggering the reinforcements turns out to be incredibly easy. the duke's needs to be within two spaces of an allied unit for it to happen!
not sure if you've managed this map yet. but the only way i could do this on maddening (on top of stride and kiting) was to bring the npc somewhat south to the one tile bridge and use impregnable wall on him. that bought me enough time (two or three turns) on the reinforcements from the north to take out the reinforcements from the west and north-east as they came in towards me. another note: after being activated, he will try to remain adjacent to byleth which gives you some control.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Amppelix posted:

sorry, I'm not good at long essays on phone

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you are forgiven. but you had to know the next question was "well what is the exploit"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Amppelix might be a forgiving goon, but I hold no such kindness in my heart. Prepare for belly-slaps! :twisted:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Azel and Jamke are in a dead tie in the ballot for Aideen's hand in marriage! Please come help break it.

(I will stop advertising this lol, I just want a clear winner)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Edit: Wrong thread sorry.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 26, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah ok after looking up what exactly the reinforcement trigger is that paralogue went by swimmingly.

still, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth when combined with the other DLC one. it really feels like neither of these maps was properly playtested for maddening since you pretty much need to completely subvert the obvious intended strategy and instead play the most boring turtle game imaginable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

by the way, i'm doing an archer byleth on this playthrough and she's just amazing. like, byleth is always good but how would you like it if your unit with the best stats also had casual 1-4 range? she bypasses so many roadblocks on maddening by just deleting enemies from way far away before they can blink, let alone counterattack.

i'm so glad 3H retained some of gaiden's archer ideas after SoV reintroduced them. if the series ever goes back to 2-range locked archers i'm going to be very mad.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It'd just be nice if next game they put 2 & 2 together that maybe instead of giving everyone close counter as a skill that you just...make bows 1-2 range to begin with...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I like that though. You need to have *some* drawback to having massive range, and sacrificing a skill slot for close counter is as good as any.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I like that though. You need to have *some* drawback to having massive range, and sacrificing a skill slot for close counter is as good as any.

You only get the added range when you're in the 3 designated classes (ARcher, Sniper, bow Knight), so I think there's still merit to having innate 1-2 range while the specialty classes get +1 or +2 with slightly ehhhh growths.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok just started playing FE Blazing Blade, its my 2nd FE game after Awakening. There are few concepts I don't understand so far like Trv stat, aid, constitutes, rescue and affinities. Don't remember any of this in Awakening.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you should look some of that stuff up, or look up the old manual. because i'm pretty sure the game never goes particularly into detail about all the mechanics. does it have a guide option?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ulio posted:

Ok just started playing FE Blazing Blade, its my 2nd FE game after Awakening. There are few concepts I don't understand so far like Trv stat, aid, constitutes, rescue and affinities. Don't remember any of this in Awakening.

Affinities ties into support. Different characters' affinities influence the bonuses they give.

Constitution is used for speed calculations alongside a weapon's Weight. So if you wanted to use say...Fimbulventer which is a 12 weight tome and you had a constitution of 8. Then your speed penalty is -4

Rescue works with Constituion & Aid. If your aid is higher than their con, you can Rescue them. The Rescuer will take on some stat penalties while holding the other.
Con/Aid can only be raised with promotion or Body Rings. Aid goes up alongside con.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's affinity and here's constitution. Rannum gave a pretty good Cliff's notes on everything else, otherwise.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok thats I'll be reading that. Also I noticed attacks miss way more often in this game than Awakening even by non axe users.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone might correct me, but IIRC it's due to the True Hit.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I'm pretty sure both Awakening and Blazing Blade both use the same "average of two numbers" for their RNG systems. It was Fates that had the weird mix between one number and two numbers.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wark Say posted:

Someone might correct me, but IIRC it's due to the True Hit.

Awakening also has true hit. It's because the formula for avoid is different in FE7. In FE7 it's speed x 2 + luck. In Awakening, it's speed x 1.5 + luck x 0.5. So you dodge more because you just have a higher avoid number.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

is there a better feeling in 3H than when you get your entire squad to level 20 simultaneously and get to promote all of them into advanced classes? I say there is not. especially when i've been raising most of them in really weird directions that don't take advantage of their growths which means i get to have those meaty class change bonuses and everyone finally becoming actually good instead of barely usable.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Awakening also has true hit. It's because the formula for avoid is different in FE7. In FE7 it's speed x 2 + luck. In Awakening, it's speed x 1.5 + luck x 0.5. So you dodge more because you just have a higher avoid number.

Ya this makes sense because you definitely don't avoid or miss this much in Awakening. I had made Gauis very heavy on dodge with his luck+speed stats and traits but he still got hit quite often.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also if you’re trying to dodgetank you’re usually trying to do it on pillars and forests, and defensive terrain got nerfed hard after FE8 since everything but thrones give like +10 until Echoes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think I have a problem. I just remembered that bernie has a preference for weeding/rubble clearing (the group task that raises heavy armor skill) and immediately felt a powerful need to start a new playthrough where I make her the tankiest tank that ever lived. Nevermind that she has weaknesses in both the skills required for fortress knight lol

you'll never catch me putting people in the class they actually want to go into

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I think I have a problem. I just remembered that bernie has a preference for weeding/rubble clearing (the group task that raises heavy armor skill) and immediately felt a powerful need to start a new playthrough where I make her the tankiest tank that ever lived. Nevermind that she has weaknesses in both the skills required for fortress knight lol

you'll never catch me putting people in the class they actually want to go into

isn't this, really, a teacher's job

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Remember how Kjelle would just retreat into her armor to take a nap or whatever mid-conversation

Okay now picture Bernie doing that

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

Remember how Kjelle would just retreat into her armor to take a nap or whatever mid-conversation

Okay now picture Bernie doing that
Falling asleep mid-sentence is more what Lindhardt does. Bernadetta would just freeze in place and hope nobody notices her.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Falling asleep mid-sentence is more what Lindhardt does. Bernadetta would just freeze in place and hope nobody notices her.

If bernie could retreat into a literal shell to avoid conversation & take a cozy nap you know she'd do it

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

AradoBalanga posted:

Bernie would kill to be Kellam.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So far the normal campaign on Lyn's is so easy definitely gonna have to replay this on hard after I get through all the characters. There is so many axe wielding enemies and the first two units you get Kent/Sain can dual wield right from + they are mounted. It's like having two mini Frederick at start. The music is awesome and the sprite works is on the characters is great. Also a bigger fan of this older artstyle for the character design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ulio posted:

So far the normal campaign on Lyn's is so easy definitely gonna have to replay this on hard after I get through all the characters. There is so many axe wielding enemies and the first two units you get Kent/Sain can dual wield right from + they are mounted. It's like having two mini Frederick at start. The music is awesome and the sprite works is on the characters is great. Also a bigger fan of this older artstyle for the character design.

All hard does for Lynn I'd remove the forced tutorial bits. It's designed as a tutorial since it was most of the worlds introduction to the series.