Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I had a save from before Chapter 9 from playing along with your run so I just picked up from there. I captured Haitaka and an an archer, so I'm just going to capture 1 or 2 units every map to replace my roster. I am going to do the child paralogues though because I've never played around with the bosses. Most of them suck except for Haitaka and Kumagera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

hey a friend of mine was interested in playing some fire emblem romhacks, i remember some people recommending some before but i dont remember what any of them were. her favorite game is sacred stones so if theres any good ones that are more similar to that those would be best

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Order of the Crimson Arm is my favorite romhack though it's closer to a FE 6 & 7 experience. Very well polished except for some missing supports, an avatar like Robin and some fun characters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would second Order of the Crimson Arm as it was a fun game with a half decent plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

hey a friend of mine was interested in playing some fire emblem romhacks, i remember some people recommending some before but i dont remember what any of them were. her favorite game is sacred stones so if theres any good ones that are more similar to that those would be best

fire emblem project ember is a decent fe6 rebalance hack, fixes some of the weaker maps and makes units more viable/distinct. on the easiest difficulty its fairly close to fe8 difficulty wise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and you can recruit debias.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there really are a lot at this point. some are awful. but most full-featured releases--i've played four or five--are all slightly to moderately under par of entries in the mainline series. that's where you should set your expectations. check out the directories at feuniverse (https://feuniverse.us/t/the-fire-emblem-fangame-directory-please-add-your-own-hacks/3339) and serenesforest (https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/54893-rom-hack-and-fan-game-directory/).

Zane fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 31, 2021

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Fire Emblem
Different Dimensions
Ostian Princess

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

quoting myself from a month ago

Looper posted:

road to ruin is fun and competently put together. the male lead kinda sucks and a couple maps use a gimmick that can get a little tedious when the novelty wears off, but overall i had a good time with it

awful emblem demo is great and really my only issue with it is that it ended

if you think every single named character should get a unique prf, consequences be damned, then check out four kings

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

thanks all!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Mrs. Strange Matter is getting very anxious about the prospect of a Tellius remake at the E3 direct and I fear she may send a pipebomb to IntSys HQ if something like Jugdral comes out instead.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Strange Matter posted:

Mrs. Strange Matter is getting very anxious about the prospect of a Tellius remake at the E3 direct and I fear she may send a pipebomb to IntSys HQ if something like Jugdral comes out instead.

Oops, All Advance Wars.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 15, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

nrook posted:

I agree that Advance Wars would not be posting Awakening-tier numbers and that’s probably why IS hasn’t published a new one (that and I don’t think Days of Ruin sold well), but this is too strong. Advance Wars may not have been a smash hit that redefined the place of IS in the world, but it was definitely a success— otherwise, they wouldn’t have made three more games.

The shift to HD console development means IS is more than busy enough trying to make Fire Emblem and Paper Mario, so I doubt we’ll see Advance Wars come back anytime soon. But I think there’s at least a 20% chance we see another game in the next 50 years.

Nailed it :smug:

In hindsight this was perhaps slightly conservative.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

hopeandjoy posted:

Oops, All Advanced Wars.
And my first response was "Oh noooo more games that I'm going to compulsively buy and then remember that I actually hate advance wars"

I did that with almost all the Advance Wars games, after only ever beating the first one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait did an AW announcement drop?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait did an AW announcement drop?
Remaster of AW 1 and 2

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tbf, I'm perfectly okay with AW getting a remake. It was a hoot playing the first one back in the day.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Inject the Advance Wars into my veins

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Advance Wars is basically Fire Emblem anyway.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My #1 wish was Fire Emblem 4 remake announcement
My #2 wish was more Triangle Strategy footage + a release date/real name given

Neither of these happened but I'm ok with it if it means Advance Wars gets rights again.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Man, I am not digging the art style on the Sprite work, but the simple 3d stuff looks good and gels with the old visual style pretty well.

E: okay, Olaf's reaction animation to losing a unit is pretty fun.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 15, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the real question is, are they gonna add battle reactions to 2? one of its greatest flaws imo

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am glad that the Advance Wars fanbase is finally free from their 10,000 years of torment.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this is pretty interesting: https://www.siliconera.com/wayforward-advance-wars-12-re-boot-camp-fights-against-olaf-and-eagle/

it's being developed by wayforward, with intsys in a supporting role of course

i think this is the first time wayforward is making something for a nintendo series?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Looper posted:

the real question is, are they gonna add battle reactions to 2? one of its greatest flaws imo

I imagine it's all in the same engine because why spend money building 2 game systems when the games are close enough you only need to do 1?

The bigger question for me is how much are they changing it mechanically. Can Neotanks get deployed in 1, which games numbers will they use with all the little buffs/nerfs in 2, and will they let you use super powers in one or have you experience it with the classic single powers?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

An enemy prioritized an APC in the treehouse footage they showed of AW1 so I feel like they might be as distinct as they ever were

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
treehouse footage also confirmed 1's training mode has been reduced to three missions tacked on to the beginning of the campaign, which is a shame to me personally but very understandable. there's also no clumsy self-insert, nell's just training andy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have heard from people closely scrutinizing the Treehouse demo that the unit and CO balance has been adjusted.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I hear there is a major uproar from the FE community. They don't like that this game is in development over FE.

What a shame.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

General Morden posted:

I hear there is a major uproar from the FE community. They don't like that this game is in development over FE.

What a shame.

Its in development by another company. IntSys is still presumably working in the FE mines.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’ve heard there’s a community of fans on the Internet that are mad about a thing. Those fools.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

General Morden posted:

What a shame.

Fire Emblem fans are eternally angry and horny and confused its not the bush administration still and they are releasing advance wars games regularly

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

At least the subreddit didn't get so mad there wasn't a new Fire Emblem announced two years after the last one released that they became an advance wars subreddit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bongo Bill posted:

I have heard from people closely scrutinizing the Treehouse demo that the unit and CO balance has been adjusted.

Yeah, Max's damage output looks to be down to his AW2 power levels where he only has a 120% multiplier instead of 150%. There was footage of him attacking Drake's Cruiser with a B-copter, and that did as much damage as it would in an AW2 matchup. (Down to around 4 HP.)

Presumably other things are also being adjusted to account for that. No idea if they fixed APC deathlust, and I'm not sure how you would get past some advance campaign missions if they left those as was.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Fire Emblem fans are eternally angry and horny and confused

I think that's just the human condition for everyone.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, Max's damage output looks to be down to his AW2 power levels where he only has a 120% multiplier instead of 150%. There was footage of him attacking Drake's Cruiser with a B-copter, and that did as much damage as it would in an AW2 matchup. (Down to around 4 HP.)
Nah, 6 damage is within the correct range for AW1 Max Copters vs a Cruiser. The base damage is 55%, so multiplied by x1.5 (for Max's bonus) and then multiplied by x0.8 (for Drake's defense bonus) gives 66%, and the game rounds HP up. If it were AW2 levels, his base damage would be 52%. There's also footage from the property race mission against Olaf where a Max MD Tank deals 114% to a tank on Plains, which is the same value as in the original game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Can Of Worms posted:

Nah, 6 damage is within the correct range for AW1 Max Copters vs a Cruiser. The base damage is 55%, so multiplied by x1.5 (for Max's bonus) and then multiplied by x0.8 (for Drake's defense bonus) gives 66%, and the game rounds HP up. If it were AW2 levels, his base damage would be 52%. There's also footage from the property race mission against Olaf where a Max MD Tank deals 114% to a tank on Plains, which is the same value as in the original game.

Ah, you're right. I read that damage calculator wrong. So it looks like it'll be fairly faithful mechanically then.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Made this to celebrate advance wars being temporarily resuscitated, let's goooooooo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

General Morden posted:

What a shame.
There are 15 mainline FE games previous to the most recent one, plus like cheese knows how many spin-offs/spiritual successors, plus a gacha game. Like as it stands, in TYOOL 2021, it legit loving rules to be an Emblemer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do people expect a new fe game to come out less than two years after the last one came out

why do people think fe would somehow die after three houses was one of the most profitable switch exclusives