Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hanneman's true character is Syndrome from the Incredibles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is why they stick to killing the dragon and nothing else, this last few pages

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

Hanneman's true character is Syndrome from the Incredibles

Syndrome with a far, far, far more sympathetic reason to hate the “supers”, while considerably more revolutionary and benevolent.

I do love that there were two completely independent schemes aimed at destroying Fodlan’s bullshit Crest Culture being plotted in the one year Byleth was at GM.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 23, 2021

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Shinji117 posted:

Syndrome with a far, far, far more sympathetic reason to hate the “supers”, while considerably more revolutionary and benevolent.

I love that there were two completely independent schemes aimed at destroying Fodlan’s bullshit Crest Culture being plotted in the one year Byleth was at GM.

It's also an excellent character moment for Edelgard, too, when she goes "Yep, I'm agreeable to this." She can compromise!

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

It's also an excellent character moment for Edelgard, too, when she goes "Yep, I'm agreeable to this." She can compromise!

H: “If I can give everyone Crest-equivalents then the value of Crests collapses, the nobility’s claim of divine right explodes and the Church’s narrative that Crests are blessings falls apart. This means no-one else will get raped to death for Crestbabies”
E: “If I remove the Church from politics, abolish the nobility, and reform the political systems of Fodlan, Crests will lose their political status and not be sought after to the point of torturing children to death”
H+E: “Sounds great, let’s go with both”

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 23, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I like the character interactions and the gameplay, but the lore parts just make my brain shut down. Same thing happened in Awakening, I can remember the personalities of each character and how they play off of each other, but I have no idea why time travel was involved nor do I care.
monsters killed everyone in the future so lucina went to the past to prevent that from happening. this isnt exactly intricate lore.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

my eyes glaze over as some weirdo in a mask jumps from a giant sky anus before wet zombie monsters are birthed from it. this probably won't be important later

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

my eyes glaze over as some weirdo in a mask jumps from a giant sky anus before wet zombie monsters are birthed from it. this probably won't be important later

you dont understand. i die if i havent listened to chapo in the past two hours.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

omoly you READ HOMESTUCK dont give me that whole 'words hard' nonsense

It's not that the words are hard, it's just that they're words I don't care about.

Endorph posted:

you dont understand. i die if i havent listened to chapo in the past two hours.

It was actually probably We Hate Movies mixed with a bunch of creepypastas if I'm remembering my 2019 podcasting tastes correctly.

Endorph posted:

monsters killed everyone in the future so lucina went to the past to prevent that from happening. this isnt exactly intricate lore.

No I got that part, I just can't remember why she was able to time travel to the past. I think Tiki helped her or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

No I got that part, I just can't remember why she was able to time travel to the past. I think Tiki helped her or something?
well, naga, but it was magic dragon stuff, yes

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday that basically amounted to "Yeah a lot of characters have intricacies and depth to them and people absolutely do NOT want to engage with it and would rather boil them down to whatever element they most want to think of them as." I.E. Dimitri is a murderous psychopath and Edelgard's a fascist. Shut up, don't engage with the characters, what's their most basic element I can possibly ascribe whether it is correct or not?

Which leads to people looking at Three Houses, a game about broken people locked in a war none of them want because they can't avoid for their own personal reasons, whose theme song is about wanting to go back to the peaceful, simple days where they could be together once more, and how that will never happen. And go "But who's the REAL villain here?"

None of them! That's the whole point! It's that the whole situation is hosed up and they all know it and there's nothing they can do! There is no Golden Ending where everyone lives and gets to be happy! Like holy poo poo, they flat out stated that the intent with the characters was a mirror of Sigurd/Quan/Eldigan from FE4, three friends from their school days who care for one another who, for reasons related to what makes them who they are, come into conflict with no chance at a happy ending. Inevitably doomed to a fate where they can never return to their childhood friendship, something that would have to be only carried on in the will of their children.

But that was 'very complex' so for the people who just want something to bitch about, Dimitri's best boy and Edelgard's Bi, not Gay. Deal with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

Edelgard's Bi, not Gay. Deal with it.
uhhhhhhhhhhhh what is your deal dude

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Claude's the best though because the MC isn't explicitly his therapist/sole pillar of emotional support, he's the most believable politically active lord in the entire franchise, his route makes you hilariously out of the loop in terms of character drama, and God Shattering Star is the best final boss song in all of Fire Emblem.

Also he's mad hot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhh what is your deal dude

quote:

But that was 'very complex' so for the people who just want something to bitch about

I literally said inflammatory things, specifically as something for people bitch about. It wasn't all that complex.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

I literally said inflammatory things, specifically as something for people bitch about. It wasn't all that complex.
im saying that its gross and sucks to drop that as random bait in an entirely unrelated post, lol

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blue Labrador posted:

Claude's the best though because the MC isn't explicitly his therapist/sole pillar of emotional support, he's the most believable politically active lord in the entire franchise, his route makes you hilariously out of the loop in terms of character drama, and God Shattering Star is the best final boss song in all of Fire Emblem.

Also he's mad hot.

Claude is indeed hot, you can't argue with an objective fact.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Onmi posted:

Edelgard's Bi, not Gay. Deal with it.

Hmm yes this doesn't read weird.

Also best boy is Hubert

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

im saying that its gross and sucks to drop that as random bait in an entirely unrelated post, lol

Sorry, it sucks I totally understand that was the intent. It's gross?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

Sorry, it sucks I totally understand that was the intent. It's gross?
sexuality is a pretty complex topic, how people interpret things like saying 'i love edelgard cause shes gay', a lot of people totally get that she's bi and are just using 'gay' as shorthand or like, view it as including bi, etc, some people do legit just think of her as gay even though textually yes shes obviously bi (and well, textually volke is a beorc but some people like the idea of him being a wolf branded and think of him that way and you sure dont see as much handwringing about that), in general its just a very touchy subject. its kinda gross to use all that drama and tension born of social conflict in a minority community as a throwaway line in a bit about you getting mad that people read a fire emblem plot in kinda shallow ways.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

This is why they stick to killing the dragon and nothing else, this last few pages
somehow you managed to have the worst take amongst it all though!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Wow, this all sucks.

I got a friend into Fire Emblem recently and used this as an excuse to get the gay mods working for Awakening and Fates, ended up driving home what I appreciate about both these games, in that I genuinely think Fates has a more solid structure as far as like it's take on pair-up but just routinely drops the ball on atrocious gimmicky maps. Like the one I enjoyed the most so far was Nina's recruitment chapter, required me to move my rear end to get the items and the terrain was interesting enough to deal with. I still enjoy the characters in it quite a lot even if the plot is just ignorable at best and actively embarrassing at worst.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

Also he's mad hot.

i like when cindered shadows added he killed all his siblings to reach the throne

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Amppelix posted:

well there's your problem
No, that's another podcast. :v:

Endorph posted:

That seems to me like they wanted to emulate FE support structure without quite getting it. Take, say, Vaida, for instance. The game introduces her as a disgraced Bern soldier who wants to get back in their good graces and is willing to do shady work for the chance to, but she joins you when you save Zephiel, showing that her loyalty to Bern is sincere. She's a perfectly comprehensible character as presented. The question mark there is why she was cast out, and it's answered in the exact support conversation you'd expect it to be, the one she has with Heath, another Bern deserter.

It'd be a pretty easy problem to fix, I think - have Sloan be introduced, have someone recognize her as a noble then ask what she's doing wandering around on her own, have her fob it off with a poor excuse to make it clear there's something going on. Then have the support that explains it be someone obviously connected to her, like someone from the same family or another noble from the same country/city/whatever.
:yeah: And this is something similar to what was done with Ayra in FE4. That and her other convos she has (brief as they tend to be) are, like, 90% of the reason she's my favorite Fire Emblem character.

Play FE4, it's a janky-rear end game, but it's fun as all get-out! :3:
https://twitter.com/EnReph/status/1149100866521182210?s=20

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Edelgard's route returned Byleth's superior hair color so it's clearly the best one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

sexuality is a pretty complex topic, how people interpret things like saying 'i love edelgard cause shes gay', a lot of people totally get that she's bi and are just using 'gay' as shorthand or like, view it as including bi, etc, some people do legit just think of her as gay even though textually yes shes obviously bi (and well, textually volke is a beorc but some people like the idea of him being a wolf branded and think of him that way and you sure dont see as much handwringing about that), in general its just a very touchy subject. its kinda gross to use all that drama and tension born of social conflict in a minority community as a throwaway line in a bit about you getting mad that people read a fire emblem plot in kinda shallow ways.

As well if we go strictly textually...there's no lesbian or gay characters besides Byleth (if you play them that way) and that's just as bad. I will always say Edelgard is gay because well, unless they remake Tellius I cannot see them making a gay lord because of how things are structured. Be nice if future games prove me wrong in some way, but I'll also take everyone is bi for gameplay reasons and how you read them is how you read them as well because it makes the most people happy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

look i was about to reply rhea and then i realized i literally forgot male byleth existed.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

New Super Metis posted:

Honestly what frustrates me isn't even the actual content of the characters, as in their personalities or anything, it's that the way the game presents information means you learn the core conceit of a character way too late.

Two examples:

1. The main character, Irving, has never met his father, who is on some super-important secret mission, and Irving grew up thinking of his older brother as a father figure instead. We don't find this out until one chapter before the father appears, halfway through the game. It is a basic principle of writing that this trait be established at the beginning of the story so that the protagonist has a desire (to meet his father) that can be fulfilled later on. As it is, I couldn't care less about the reunion. For the most part, Irving is completely irrelevant to the plot of the game, until suddenly the cast decide he's the lynchpin of their army despite being interchangeable with about four other people serving as commanders.

2. Sloane is an early game character. She is introduced as a haughty mage who was captured by bandits, and that's basically all the information you get. In her introduction, other characters don't recognise her as anyone significant. However, in her support conversations, those same characters suddenly recognise her as a noble with some nebulous relationship to her nobility, but the details are completely unclear. It's not secret information, the characters all know it and Sloane isn't hiding it, but the game doesn't actually explain it until a random support from a new character who joins halfway through the game finally mentions that Sloane's father disowned her. However, despite getting most of Sloane's supports at this point, I still have no idea why she's been disowned! I feel like I'm supposed to have read some extensive character bio before reading her supports to know what the hell's going on with her, but that doesn't exist!

It just feels like a basic failure of character writing, where you need to frontload what's interesting about a character so that people actually want to know more, instead of just getting confused.

This is visible in the character writing, sure, but it's a problem with the game's writing as a whole. Let's go back to Sloane for a minute. We meet her because she and her friend Sophia were captured by the bandits we need to kill because the army is at war and we won't be able to spare troops from the front lines, as all the original characters got emergency drafted as child soldiers. Ok, so we're gonna figure out what these ladies' deal is, integrate them into the squad, maybe they realize they've been drafted into a hellwar so bad our kingdom is using child soldiers and aren't happy about it? Nah. Five minutes later a random sketchy mage shows up to search bandit house for his dying father's magic gem. Sure, whatever, we don't give a poo poo. 3 random cleavage ladies show up claiming the gem and he gets pissed the men in the party are distracted or whatever and reveals himself to be an evil necromancer, randomly raises all the bandits from the dead and teleports out, and the women join the party because why not. The plot keeps careening haphazardly like this, where we don't desert the army because the characters realize their government is corrupt or are sick of the war, but because a contrived cutscene reveals two of the ladies from Casa De Bandit are enemy nation princesses who order the party released and then tell us we're traitors now so we can find the guy with no discernible motivation who, as of Chapter 19, has never appeared again. That dragon from earlier? He doesn't have secret information on the necromancers, or a weapon in his hoard to kill them, or a way to stop the war - we kill him because a random dwarf will let us stay in his hobo cave. The point I'm making is that a lot of this stuff isn't just a failure of character writing but a failure of writing in general. We are 19 chapters into the game and we know that the necromancers maybe started the war, one of them is doing terrible things to resurrect his dead daughter, and that King Garon II is working with them, but we have no idea what their plans are, what the stakes are, or why we care other than them killing Irving's brother in a cutscene. A literal god shows up to tell Irving how awesome he is, and the next scene is Hobo Dwarf's dragon cave. The game opens with the academy cadets being drafted because the kingdom's manpower is low due to the hellwar, but then the characters decide to start a revolution for no reason and decide the royal army is just too big to attack, despite the devs setting them up as overstretched due to the war and ineptly led internal security operations. It's clear the devs really want to hit a bunch of plot beats, but they have no idea how to get there, so all consistency and logic goes right the gently caress out the window.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

dark deity more like, dork deity... Gottem!!!

but yea everything i've heard of it just makes it come off like dollar store diet fe

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

the best route is edelgard because it involves dismantling the power structure of fodlan which is an irredeemable shithole]

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

you know now that I think about it every fire emblem land loving sucks, huh? someone should really just destroy all of it

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Ostentatious posted:

you know now that I think about it every fire emblem land loving sucks, huh? someone should really just destroy all of it

IS, give us an accelerationist lord.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

magvel was alright before satan orb started messing around

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have been asking for a lord that wants to overthrow the monarchy and start a republic for a while now, yes.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Adrestia is the biggest most hosed up dump in Fodlan so obviously things will be better if everywhere is Adrestia

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ostentatious posted:

No that's Drakengard the other game with dragons where that happens.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ostentatious posted:

My friend, have you not heard of a delightful place called Gallia?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Adrestia is the biggest most hosed up dump in Fodlan so obviously things will be better if everywhere is Adrestia

Edelgard agrees with the former sentiment and desires to drastically change it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Perfect Potato posted:

That is a bold statement considering Faerghus.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Things Adrestia has done in the past 30 years: Killed tonnes of children to make double crest monsters.

Things Faerghus has done in the past 30 years: Pogrommed an ethnic minority over false accusations of regicide.

Things I really don't want in my fun games about anime girls and boys going to sword school: All of the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I don’t think that it’s bad that there’s dark stuff in anime sword school simulator, I just think it’s exhausting that the fandom is stuck in endless “which war crime is worse” pissing matches.