Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I want them to make me worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yall are asking for fates again

I dont want fates again

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

The next FE needs to have Part 1: War Phase, Part 2: Sim City Phase. Then we can see if the lord who has conquered everything actually is able to rule well.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Inu posted:

The next FE needs to have Part 1: War Phase, Part 2: Sim City Phase. Then we can see if the lord who has conquered everything actually is able to rule well.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I want the female characters to be evil unless you marry them at which point you turn them good through raw sexual energy.

I also want the male characters to be evil unless you marry them at which point you turn them good through raw sexual energy.

I also want the non-binary characters to be evil unless you marry them at which point you turn them good through raw sexual energy.

Endorph posted:

i want to make them worse

Terper posted:

I want them to make me worse

:hmmyes:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

For real though if they're gonna do a split route game again I would like one where you do actually get to be the evil side for reals and not the dumb poo poo they did with Conquest.

Hell, gently caress the route split. Basically just give me Practical Guide to Fire Emblem.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 5, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

This is my mood, too. I'm eager to see what the next real Fire Emblem will be, and hope it will be even gayer than 3H. And also not tie female main characters to the routes I see as evil.

I hope for all of these things, too. And that gay males aren't suddenly getting a wife in their epilogues, or suddenly platonic S-Supports with their love interests.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Shortest Path posted:

For real though if they're gonna do a split route game again I would like one where you do actually get to be the evil side for reals and not the dumb poo poo they did with Conquest.

Hell, gently caress the route split. Basically just give me Practical Guide to Fire Emblem.

They literally already did this though? 3 Houses has you side with a man who doesn't just kill women, he murders them!

:v: More seriously I hope they never have you actually able to pick an 'evil' route because its usually just lazy and used for shock value more than anything interesting to play. And if its really 'evil' its usually gross

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the evil route in soul nomad added a lot to the characters and world while also being pretty shocking. i think pure evil routes can be done well. like the whole idea of the evil route in soul nomad is that your actions are so reprehensible that it basically gives the main game's villains a chance at redemption by banding together with the main game's party to stop you, which is a pretty interesting concept if you extrapolate it out to a fire emblem game.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

lol

I guess the renown glitch is pirntopsguzzardo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My power fantasy is helping people and making the world a better place. And being gay.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Inu posted:

Part 3: Pop Star Phase to see if the lord has what it takes to be Fortuna Entertainment's next star.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I can't say I want a purely good route, that's boring as hell to me. Three Houses hit it right, where what route you see as the good and evil one depends on your own ideals. Honestly same for 'evil' routes, the only time I've enjoyed that was in Tyranny and that's a very specifically constructed game that I don't know if Fire Emblem is the right series for something like that.

Basically give me more morally messy routes. The specifics of Edelgard are great, but that she's waging war against people and not cartoon caricatures is what gives the route it's power. (She's still right and it's the good route.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I still wish Fates Conquest had actually leaned into being the bad guy darth vader route instead of the most pathetic compromise conceivable.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm hitting you with the flat of the blade of my lightning spell.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't mind Conquest not being an evil route but it would be significantly harder to make Conquest more morally justifiable than it would be just to make it the evil route, yes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean it's kind of a bummer that you always end up fighting Garon because whoops he's actually secretly an evil dragon. This is entirely just my personal tastes but I would have really preferred it if he was just a dude who was also an rear end in a top hat and lusted for power/conquest. Although it does make Conquest extremely funny since in it the otherwise pure of heart Corrin actively participates in a brutal campaign of conquest against Hoshido but then swings around at the last second to bop Garon over the head, and you get some upbeat ending narration about how Corrin and their siblings will bring peace to the world, lmao. Conquest is a riot.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

once i saw a vid counting how much Murder happens by corrin in conquest and i think the overall conclusion was "mostly none except for the kitsune"??

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's true. Pretty much every battle begins with corrin ordering, "set fireballs to stun"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's very funny to me that you murder waaaaaaaay more people on the "good" route than the "evil" route.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Corrin and friends don't murder a whole lot of people in Conquest but they sure do non-lethally defeat armies that Hans then murders.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Corrin and friends don't murder a whole lot of people in Conquest but they sure do non-lethally defeat armies that Hans then murders.
After which Corrin and friends are like, "Oh no, this is terrible!" and then they go ahead and non-lethally defeat another army....under the impression it will be different this time?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
A lot of the reason I give Three Houses the benefit of the doubt for its story is that it actually mostly pulls off the “morally compromised or villainous protagonist” thing IS has been playing with for a billion years. Edelgard is a much better take on the Conquest concept of “playing as the villain”; her aesthetic is similar to classic evil emperor characters like Rudolf, and she plays a similar role in the story, starting a war of aggression and disrupting the status quo. Of course, she’s not a villain in the sense of clearly being a worse person or doing worse things than the other possible main characters, but this is achieved by making her ideals admirable and her actions arguably justifiable, not by creating weird, convoluted reasons why she has to do things that look bad on their face.

Similarly, IS has played with similar ideas to Dimitri’s route before, but usually pulled their punches. You see for example Micaiah try to use a stratagem of war that’s viewed by other characters as shocking and beyond the pale, but she doesn’t actually get to do it, and it’s portrayed as a consequence of necessity. Dimitri just tortures folks because he thinks they have it coming. I haven’t played every game in the series, but as far as I know he’s the first lord whose story is centered around atoning for previous misdeeds, where said misdeeds are both obviously horrible and depicted on-screen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sigurd and Quan in FE4 are meant to be flawed and their flaws are shown onscreen, but their flaw is just that they rush into doing the obviously right thing without considering any of the possible consequences. They're good men, just completely unequipped for an age of politicking and back stabbing. So a bit different from being morally ambiguous.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Sigurd and Quan in FE4 are meant to be flawed and their flaws are shown onscreen, but their flaw is just that they rush into doing the obviously right thing without considering any of the possible consequences. They're good men, just completely unequipped for an age of politicking and back stabbing. So a bit different from being morally ambiguous.

I like whenever Genealogy tries to add depth to its antagonists too, like a LOT of them are just one step removed from the early game bandits that wanna pillage the villages but, say, Ishtar is kinda believable as someone who’s been genuinely taken in by Julius or knew him before he turned into a death dragon avatar, Arvis isn’t a very nice man but it’s believable that he genuinely just thought making some sacrifices would make the world a better place instead of just being power hungry for his own sake.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ishtar is a good depiction of someone whose station and morality are incompatible and chooses wrong, with a big dose of being stuck in a toxic relationship. I really like her character as a tragedy of how someone whose heart is in the right place can nonetheless become a villain because to do otherwise is to go against her own place in the world.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

o yea heres that vid i mentioned about corrins kill count in conquest, its not exactly a serious video essay or anything but it's a fun watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInHAC3FIL4

i have a soft spot for selena from fe8 tho shes basically just magical camus, lyons cool too tho hes more "tragic baddie" like ishtar than "questionable morality"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lyon: If I get this right, I can use my Dark Magic to become a force for good!

Narrator voice: Prince Lyon of Grado did not use his Dark Magic to become a force for good

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is there a Three Houses thread or discord? I just started back up my NG+, currently on chapter 8 or 9 or so as Black Eagles on Hard. I can't remember what my intentions were but I'd love any input on recruitments I should go after or game-breaking builds for certain characters, stuff like that. The only people I've recruited so far are Lysithea, Sylvain, and Shamir. I feel like I went after Sylvain for a specific reason but I can't remember.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Three Houses Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892275

FEH Discord (which is probably your best bet for this stuff): https://discord.gg/ujrU5Bjj

You can probably ask all those questions here as well though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i recommend muting all of the heroes channels, personally

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Chill Penguin posted:

Is there a Three Houses thread or discord? I just started back up my NG+, currently on chapter 8 or 9 or so as Black Eagles on Hard. I can't remember what my intentions were but I'd love any input on recruitments I should go after or game-breaking builds for certain characters, stuff like that. The only people I've recruited so far are Lysithea, Sylvain, and Shamir. I feel like I went after Sylvain for a specific reason but I can't remember.

Sylvain is there for the earliest Hero’s Relic access, I imagine, to handle the death knight until Lysithea is ready to Dark Spike. Shamir is a pretty ready to rip Sniper for Hunter’s Volley abuse. The top tip for Lysithea is to also recruit Lorenz so she can use the +range staff from his paralogue but even without it she rips through anything on player phase.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like the fact that Leonie doesn't immediately fawn over Byleth even if it's done in a terrible way. Is that weird?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, iirc 3H is better about it than the other Avatar games but it’s still refreshing to have characters that are not at all on board with you.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
Takumi's another character who gets to dislike the avatar, at least at first. He's by far the most interesting of the Hoshidan royal siblings because of it...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I like the fact that Leonie doesn't immediately fawn over Byleth even if it's done in a terrible way. Is that weird?

I'm fine with Leonie disliking Byleth but her B support was so awful (and came at a very bad moment for me at that) that it made me heavily dislike her. Her supports with other characters are better but I can't say I fully got over how genuinely terrible as a person she was there.

midnight lasagna posted:

Takumi's another character who gets to dislike the avatar, at least at first. He's by far the most interesting of the Hoshidan royal siblings because of it...

Meanwhile Takumi's hatred for Corrin rocks and I wish the game wasn't cowardly enough to have him get over it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Having an entire game of him hating you on the same team might get old tbf, like it’s done pretty well in Path of Radiance since at least angry sniper guy (Shionne? Slipping my mind) had a whole thing about actually quitting the team admits he’s being petty and unfair on some level in supports, but idk if I trust Fates on that front.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
shinon was great. Even at the end of the game as everyone tells Ike how great he is you get Shinon all "nope you're still a little poo poo"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Tellius games in general have great dialogue, one of my favorite things is in Radiant Dawn where Volke gives you a ton of money back because the campaign lasts way less than he thought it would. And also when you rerecruit him it turns out he’s giving you a discount because he just wants to kill Izuka that badly because goddamn Izuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that even in shinons supports where he gets less racist he doesnt have like, some massive come to jesus moment, he just gets curious about janaff's life and realizes he might be able to learn something from him. its pretty subtle