Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ditto regarding Ike where Shinon's pissed about the nepotism of Ike getting the company when he's not the strongest but even in RD when Ike clearly has become the strongest Shinon is still kind of a dickhead because... well he's just kind of a dickhead, even when it's all going his way.

Also if Shinon fights Titania in PoR he'll straight up tell her that if she'd been tapped to succeed Greil he would have happily stuck around because in his mind she was the most worthy successor which is a neat touch.

Last Celebration posted:

The Tellius games in general have great dialogue, one of my favorite things is in Radiant Dawn where Volke gives you a ton of money back because the campaign lasts way less than he thought it would. And also when you rerecruit him it turns out he’s giving you a discount because he just wants to kill Izuka that badly because goddamn Izuka.

Love how Izuka will calmly try to reason with Tibarn of all people but as soon as he sees Volke he flips the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Shinon's recruitment is arguably the most esoteric in all of Fire Emblem, but it actually tells a really interesting story about a guy who is willing to swallow his enormously swollen pride because of how another person, Rolf, views him. All in all he's one of the best written characters in the game, and for that matter Path of Radiance remains one of the best written and translated JRPGs of any kind I've ever played.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think translated might be going to far considering random Greil insertion in Ike and Soren’s A support and [gestures to Ike and Elincia in PoR].

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a few weird changes but both of them are more the just the time than anything. other than those its extremely well translated

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

On the other end of things, a lot about the writing in Radiant Dawn is just a remarkable trainwreck of a shitshow. Even the basic structure is a mess, and the loss of supports was one of the most glaring mistakes in the series.

One of Fire Emblem's big hooks (something that made Awakening such a hit) is the touch of personalization in your game experience. People die because of your choices, or become best friends because of your choices, or defeat the enemy general due to your choices, or even get married because of your choices. The overall plot is mostly set in stone, but there's enough room around the edges to feel like the story is "yours". (Randomized stats also help here.)

The unlock systems in Radiant Dawn, meanwhile, were basically a way to tell the player who the writers thought they should care about, with the players being punished with less content for disagreeing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
All I care about is Oscar x Ike for +45% dodge chance and parking Oscar on the other side of the suspiciously 2-tile magic wall keeping Ike and the BK separated from the rest of the party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

The unlock systems in Radiant Dawn, meanwhile, were basically a way to tell the player who the writers thought they should care about, with the players being punished with less content for disagreeing.
Wait, what? The only 'content' supports can unlock in FE10 is endings which is an extremely minor amount of content in the grand scheme of things. Or do you mean the Soren/Ike stuff? That's only available on NG+ anyway, its just a secret.

Regardless, FE10's systems seem partly like the result of time constraints. The game is clearly super rushed and saw a ton of rewrites, and there is evidence of more involved supports (at least for A ranks) being planned.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The writers were correct to think we should care a lot about Ike and Soren.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Endorph posted:

Wait, what? The only 'content' supports can unlock in FE10 is endings which is an extremely minor amount of content in the grand scheme of things. Or do you mean the Soren/Ike stuff? That's only available on NG+ anyway, its just a secret.

Regardless, FE10's systems seem partly like the result of time constraints. The game is clearly super rushed and saw a ton of rewrites, and there is evidence of more involved supports (at least for A ranks) being planned.

Imo it’s not just the supports and hidden conversations, it’s also the gameplay. You’re constantly being whisked around between different armies of mostly pre-leveled units that take up no more and no less than the deployment limit. You rarely have any real decisions on who makes up your army before the final few chapters. The only faction you play as who get to grow enough for the RNG to make them do unique things is the Dawn Brigade, and even they still have little choice in unit use since you’ll rarely not have enough space to just deploy everyone bar 2-3 people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sure, but that's not really 'punishing you for not liking the same characters as the devs,' thats just a different design direction. its not what people play fire emblem for but in and ofitself its not a bad design direction, and its a pretty natural evolution from how FE2 and FE4 worked so its not even outside the ballpark of what FE's already done.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, it's just a shake-up from what GBA-onward FE was about, and that's not necessarily wrong.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've done it. I got drunk and bought Birthright and Conquest.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Radiant Dawn is still my favourite Fire Emblem. I played it before Path of Radiance. It was my fourth Fire Emblem game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
as much as it gets in the crosshairs of the cycle of complaining, there's a lot to love in it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've done it. I got drunk and bought Birthright and Conquest.

Conquest legitimately slaps, sorry you wasted money on Birthright.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Birthright has the best music tho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sydin posted:

Conquest legitimately slaps, sorry you wasted money on Birthright.

I've gotten colder on Conquest pretty steadily since I beat it, from "Good game! Shame about the main story" to my current icy disdain, but Birthright...

Birthright was obvious crap from the jump.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
id rather replay birthright than conquest tbh

brainless but inoffensive

conquest just decided to make every single interaction with the enemy a complicated, exhausting slog of skills and aggro triggers and overlapping ranges. All tactics and no strategy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

id rather replay birthright than conquest tbh

brainless but inoffensive

conquest just decided to make every single interaction with the enemy a complicated, exhausting slog of skills and aggro triggers and overlapping ranges. All tactics and no strategy.

I won't argue with that. It was exactly what soured me on Conquest's gameplay after the inconsistent voice soured me on the supports. (Well, the Conquest supports. The Birthright supports were bad enough individually to unsell me on their own.) But Conquest has unique gameplay, which makes it interesting on a first glance.

Birthright is Awakening, but simplified and without the charm.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zoran's ongoing Conquest LP is great fun if you want to see some meticulously planned actions

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

conquest is the worst srpg ive played in my life, and this includes dark deity and the bleach srpg

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Endorph posted:

conquest is the worst srpg ive played in my life, and this includes dark deity and the bleach srpg

You get to hang out with King Evil though and him getting more exasperated as Corrin survives yet another suicide mission with zero causalities on either side.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weak brain: the best part of conquest is the gameplay
galaxy brain: the best part of conquest is the plot

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Tired Moritz posted:

Birthright has the best music tho

I'd disagree on the combat prep theme alone. Hearing it go into Birthright's when I'm so used to hearing Conquest's feels like missing a step when walking down the stairs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Harsh, Conquest is at least cool before you get to Hoshido imho, that’s at least on par with Revelations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

revelations is worse objectively but at least the map design is funny bad, like the promotion up/promotion down gimmick map that does nothing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best part of conquest is ophelia

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Conquest would work better as a comedy if it weren't for all the joke characters angering me with their own comedy routines in the background.

And also if so much of it didn't read like it was paywalling a real resolution that still ends up making its own edgy pratfalls.

Plus the ever-constant feeling that I'm playing an eroge.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 19, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Delphisage posted:

Plus the ever-constant feeling that I'm playing an eroge.
if you were it would be much better written

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

if you were it would be much better written

It would certainly be MORE written, which isn't really hard when the story process was to throw out the script they commissioned and only use snippets of it.

Then again, White Album 2. Every character in that VN was a horrible person and I loved every bit of it.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
https://twitter.com/TheCyanYoh/status/1560646761202733061

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

It's better than 3 houses, which has some of the worst systems and maps of any SRPG

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dpulex posted:

It's better than 3 houses, which has some of the worst systems and maps of any SRPG

3 Houses maps are serviceable to good, especially some of the paralogues. Sylvain, Felix, and Raphael/Ignatz especially are good maps with interesting challenges and multiple objectives.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dpulex posted:

i would play literally any 3 houses map including the tower over any conquest map

i would run around collecting dropped items for an hour before i went back to conquest.

ive replayed both original fe2 and gaiden dozens of times and i refuse to touch conquest ever again. ive replayed rev a few times and i dont touch conquest.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Looper posted:

the best part of conquest is ophelia

No she's not, because she reminds me of how the Awakening kids were tossed into Conquest and then caught a case of the same stupid that infests Conquest.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFTt6YNOsr0

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I've just finished the Sword of Heaven and Earth FE7 romhack. It's like a Japanese beta version of Onmi's plans for his own FE6 hack, right down to admitting it's impossible to square with the actual FE6 and maybe even FE7 timeline. Though in this case, there's a decent bit of FE3 that I'd never expect any Western romhacker to homage to. If only it had a better translation and way less bugs, I'd happily recommend it to people.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

remember when everyone liked conquest? that didn't last very long huh

I feel like awakening being so simplistic made people more forgiving of conquest at the time. it's prob still fine on a first playthrough but man when I tried to go back to it somewhat recently, it was tortuous

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly I think it’s just how Endorph described it before a while ago: every mission past the early game is a bomb defusing mission where you constantly have to keep enemy skills and often level gimmicks in mind so one or both doesn’t gently caress you up, which makes for a pretty thrilling first play through but then you realize you don’t really wanna deal with the combo of Fuga’s Wild Ride and the Eternal Stairway ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I've played Conquest on Lunatic multiple times, it's a fantastically put together game. Especially compared to most of the trash this thread likes