Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I only ever recruited a few people and I think it worked out fine. Sucks you need to look up which pairs have paralogues but y'know I think it only benefits the drama and the writing if you show some restraints with your recruits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It's weird that a lot of the pairs with paralogues don't have supports. Like Caspar and Mercedes.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Menus are based

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Let me recruit more students from other houses if I sacrifice one of my original ones.

Sorry Caspar, but you just kept refusing to proc Str.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Tbh I don't really care about the thematic intent of the game, I simply have more fun when I can catch 'em all. Also most of 3H's actual strong writing is just character interaction, making it more of a chore to see more of the characters would make the game worse for me.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's also really funny to steal all of Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude's classmates and leave them basically friendless in Part 2

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

i mean the game could just tell you 'you can only recruit two people'

idk recruit everyone runs just dont feel valid to me. the whole conflict between former classmates/friends thing feels like the intent of the game (its what the theme song is about) and it basically never manifests at all for 99% of the playerbase

consider me part of the 1% since i only ever recruited Catherine, Shamir, and Lysithea

Pureauthor posted:

Instead you need to go to sleep all the time and the random person sent to wake you in will have long chats with an unconscious Alear before waking you up.

And this dialogue changes based on Alear:s support level. So there is a massive amount of text most players will not only never see but be unaware is even available.

oh another thing i was supposed to do in the Somniel that i also ignored after i found it. whoops lol

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
In terms of bases, aside from interacting terribly with the story, I liked Fate's version the best because it was the fastest to run around and do everything in, and I don't particularly care about having a lush, fully rendered experience for that. In terms of getting a chance to immerse yourself in the world and talk to your characters, the after-battle map exploration in Engage was extremely cool and I'd love to see more of that. It also has the advantage of being more skippable if you don't enjoy it, while having more to offer* if you do enjoy it, since it isn't the same thing every time.

*Subjective, of course. I like exploring the environments and getting close up looks at those beautiful maps.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I found Hopes a pretty useful midpoint between the extremes some people here want and the recruit everyone approach. But also I loved playing SB and the big moment of sticking with Edelgard and you go to the unique camp and seeing everyone's reason for sticking with you was great.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Something I did really like about the Somniel was the extra little touch of everyone having unique non battle outfits. And having a little dog.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alacron posted:

It's also really funny to steal all of Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude's classmates and leave them basically friendless in Part 2

I think doing this broke people's minds tbh

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

I found Hopes a pretty useful midpoint between the extremes some people here want and the recruit everyone approach. But also I loved playing SB and the big moment of sticking with Edelgard and you go to the unique camp and seeing everyone's reason for sticking with you was great.

I still have no idea why they didn't just reuse this camp for the interstitial scenes in Part 2. Maybe save Gareg Mach for like 1 or 2 chapters where it would make sense, but it was already built and had all the amenities anyways. Its wild its used exactly one time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The out of battle attire is great, even if kind of annoyed me that basically everyone but the armor knights had better loungewear than their normal outfits and I really would have liked the option to switch them.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think doing this broke people's minds tbh

No, I think people are just Like That, you see it over and over with anything that gets big enough on twitter to have factions and shipping.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well that's disappointing. In Three Hopes, if you bring Petra along to fight Dorothea in Azure Gleam they don't have any special dialogue for it. They're otherwise one of the game's best friend/couple pairs who normally get a lot of special dialogue when doing anything together.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Menus are based

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not like menus and the monastery stuff are mutually exclusive anyways, Three Houses had more submenu hell than any other video game I've played besides like.... Dwarf Fortress

Path of Radiance home base was perfect and should be emulated going forward instead of the horrible timewasting 3d exploring stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I do not get people complaining about moving around the monestary. Like. You do know that you only have to do it once you unlock everything if you want to chat with people. Otherwise you can fast travel from a menu to just do all the things you want.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Fast travelling trades running around for loading screens, though. If you have fond memories of doing everything from a quick and streamlined base menu, it's still not a lot better.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Has any full price game actually gone with a menu system recently? The impression I have is that regardless of any arguments, going with that sort of simplification would just get the game pegged as a "budget" title that you can't charge more than $20 for. Are there counter examples to this?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fajita Queen posted:

It's not like menus and the monastery stuff are mutually exclusive anyways, Three Houses had more submenu hell than any other video game I've played besides like.... Dwarf Fortress

Path of Radiance home base was perfect and should be emulated going forward instead of the horrible timewasting 3d exploring stuff.

The path of radiance homebase was just an extension of the battle prep screen handling all your troop outfitting, knew that, and was better for it.

And the funny thing is that it still had more involvement story wise than all these big, empty fortresses they keep making us run around.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I am pretty strongly in favour of the 3D stuff if it is tied into the plot and used to advance the plot. The 3H monastery does way, way more of this early on than the PoR base, it just fizzles out later.

I'm just saying at the point where it's the Somniel and nothing actually matters the menu is just better.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Fangz posted:

Has any full price game actually gone with a menu system recently? The impression I have is that regardless of any arguments, going with that sort of simplification would just get the game pegged as a "budget" title that you can't charge more than $20 for. Are there counter examples to this?

Perhaps this is a problem with modern gaming, if everything has to proritize looking fancy over what actually makes the game feel good to play. Simplification is good, sometimes, and complexity for its own sake is silly.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

FoolyCharged posted:

The path of radiance homebase was just an extension of the battle prep screen handling all your troop outfitting, knew that, and was better for it.

And the funny thing is that it still had more involvement story wise than all these big, empty fortresses they keep making us run around.

The fact they are so dedicated to making you come back to the same spot every time also drags the story down around it. It only really worked in Engage, because Engage made the wise decision of writing a saturday morning cartoon style story (affectionate), where having a giant floating home base fits in pretty well.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 2, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

mycatscrimes posted:

Fast travelling trades running around for loading screens, though. If you have fond memories of doing everything from a quick and streamlined base menu, it's still not a lot better.

I think this is really the main point. It’s not so much that menus are awesome and home base maps are evil; it’s that the home base maps used in Fire Emblem have been slow recently. It’s possible to have a map to explore but still let most things the player would want to do happen very quickly.

There’s an analogy here with combat animations. In most previous games I’d turn off animations very quickly. But in Engage, I left them on for my whole first run, both because they were excellent and because the game provided a lot of ways for me to skip or speed through them on the fly.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The main point for me is that the Somniel offers a lot of boring timesinks like grabbing ingredients, fishing, workout and dragon rides that distract from the good parts of the game but you kinda should be doing. It's better if you do them. But I don't want boring tedium in a video game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

I do not get people complaining about moving around the monestary. Like. You do know that you only have to do it once you unlock everything if you want to chat with people. Otherwise you can fast travel from a menu to just do all the things you want.
its not like the game lets you fast travel literally next to everyone and everything, you still have to walk around some. and it introduces multiple loading screens to something that in fe9/10 takes 3 seconds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if you got rid of loading screens through optimization it would still be a slower experience than just a menu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

triangle strategy?

I mean it had a 'homebase' you could walk around but it was literally one screen and you could just do everything with a menu.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Fates had the most amount of base I was willing to tolerate. Travel was fast and you didn't have to do things like spend activity points just to cook a meal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Fates had the most amount of base I was willing to tolerate. Travel was fast and you didn't have to do things like spend activity points just to cook a meal.

Yep, and even then I very quickly stopped engaging with nearly all of it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

triangle strategy?

I mean it had a 'homebase' you could walk around but it was literally one screen and you could just do everything with a menu.

I suppose but there's also the between map exploration sections you are expected to do and there's a crapton of dialogue and stuff in those.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
bases are cool when it's like suikoden, characters have places they prefer to hang out, chores they do, and you can see it improve through time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

I suppose but there's also the between map exploration sections you are expected to do and there's a crapton of dialogue and stuff in those.

i mean im fine with those, i like it. my specific issue is the intermingling of the rote character management stuff with things that make it take more time. just having stuff between chapters where dialog and characterization and exploration happens isnt really my issue. if anything id love an FE that took tristrat's approach.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah that's fair.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m kinda interested to replay this now that the incidental post battle dialogue doesn’t get interrupted by “wow I got a level this battle”, “wow Divine One you got a level this battle” and “pleas take me off the bench”. Well, I’m mostly interested because it’s the most fun I can ever remember having with an FE campaign, but still.

Also, one of the few things I wish Engage changed was keeping the higher weapon rank = extra stats when not facing weapon triangle disadvantage thing from FE11-14, giving S rank, say, bows something like +15 hit and +3 strength would make mono-weapon advanced classes, you know, not so pointless feeling.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

personally i found the Somniel...engaging [looks around awaiting laughter, smile slowly starts to fade]

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i will not engage with puns of that nature

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I don't really have an opinion on the home bases because I've played so few Fire Emblems and I'm also a slut for tedium in video games, and I've mentioned before that I loved the monastery. But I do think Natural 20 has some really good points on why it's more effective in the early game than later on - once you get a lot more activity points it starts to feel a lot less purposeful. That said,

Sydin posted:

Oh yeah I mean, I think one of the big flaws in Houses is that it's too easy to recruit other house's units, and that you're allowed to recruit basically everybody besides the Lords you didn't pick and their right hand (except for Hilda unless you're on CF) since it hugely undermines the dramatic conceit of Part 2. Hopes does it better by having a pre-set list of characters that are recruitable each route, although even those lists are still a little too bloated for my liking.

It is funny if you recruit everybody though because every time you talk to Dorothea in part 2 she'll still be all "This war is so horrible professor, we keep having to kill all our friends :smith:" and it's like, no Dorothea, actually we don't. It's literally all randos.
This is basically my feelings on the recruiting. Even my very first run of FE3H I recruited like 90% of the students. I think I didn't recruit like, Lorenz and maybe a couple other people? And his death is this extremely cartoonish "bury me... in a manner befitting the nobility.........." and nobody mentions it.

(Extremely funny to me still that Lorenz went from absolute poo poo tier to me to "one of my favorite characters in the game". I love Lorenz, I will talk about Lorenz for hours, please talk to me about Lorenz :allears:)

Thropes does it a lot better with forcing you to fight people one way or another, though I wish they'd been a little more savage about their choices instead of letting you mostly spare people. For example, on the Scarlet Blaze route, I think I only had to kill like... Ingrid? Maybe Sylvain and/or Felix? And I just... didn't really give a poo poo tbqh. I don't know how to explain it, it's not like I don't care about those characters, but it feels like they're all prepared to die in battle, whereas I think making the player kill Annette would've been a lot more impactful, especially with what someone mentioned about Mercedes. She feels a lot more naive and innocent in this conflict, rather than "sworn sword willing to lay down their life for the king". Kind of like the difference between killing Ferdinand and, say, Bernadetta. That said, I did appreciate how Ingrid's death was acknowledged several times in cutscenes, and visibly affected people on the other side and their motivation. I thought that was good and there should be more of that.

Like don't get me wrong I'm not like grrr more deaths grimdark :sickos: , I think if the game forced me to kill Seteth and/or Flayn I would put it down and cry for a week, but I feel like they should have one death per route that is kind of designed to make you be like "poo poo, that sucks, war kills innocents no matter what and there is no way to save everyone" since that's like a massive theme in 3H and every other Fire Emblem for that matter. I haven't finished Azure Gleam or started Golden Wildfire to know if it improves there, but in AG at least I felt a bit sad about killing Fleche and Randolph.

I'm also sad that at least up to where I'm at in AG, Hubert has disappeared. I feel like he wouldn't take what TWSITD did to Edelgard lying down? Feels very out of character with how he's basically the king of contingency plans and specifically left behind instructions to whoever defeats Edelgard in Three Houses telling you to go finish what they started and kill TWSITD. I guess the implication is he got assassinated before he could react, but did he seriously have no dead man's switch or anything?

Also unrelatedly, does anyone have like, a good post or video talking about Cyril, especially from the perspective of a person of color? I want to like Cyril, and there's a couple support lines with him in FE3H that are really cute, but he takes the jokes about Leonie's entire character being "Captain Jeralt!!!!" and makes them real as hell. Like his entire character arc feels like... white hyper-religious lady takes in dark-skinned orphan and he hates his entire culture and thinks they're barbaric savages and tries to distance himself from it as much as possible, and he's basically an indentured child servant to her but it's okay because he likes it actually? I'm white so maybe I'm off base about this, and it's been a while since I played FE3H + I have legitimate memory problems due to chronic sleep issues and ADHD and may have forgotten some important stuff, but I remember it feeling really weird and racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm also sad that at least up to where I'm at in AG, Hubert has disappeared. I feel like he wouldn't take what TWSITD did to Edelgard lying down? Feels very out of character with how he's basically the king of contingency plans and specifically left behind instructions to whoever defeats Edelgard in Three Houses telling you to go finish what they started and kill TWSITD. I guess the implication is he got assassinated before he could react, but did he seriously have no dead man's switch or anything?

If you pick up Dorothea, she theorizes that Hubert and Ferdinand might be in hiding waiting for their moment. She does also acknowledge that they might be dead.