Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

where does the corrin about to kill azura scene even happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

In the chapter right before the split when they go dragon for the first time.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I remember that teaser selling me on a completely different tone and game than I got.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Trailer still gives me chills, no homo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Right after finishing the chapter after Queen Mikoto takes a couple of magic sword bullets in your stead. Which yeah, as it's been mentioned, is a chapter before the route split.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

I remember that teaser selling me on a completely different tone and game than I got.

I think most of us remember that.

I got the special edition mainly inspired by that first trailer.

Not a decision I'm 100 percent pleased with, in hindsight.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wark Say posted:

FE games have had pretty good soundtracks since the NES, so yes it is a well-known fact. :)

Hell, I've nicked a couple of riffs from Fire Emblem songs throughout the years. Especially from the Tsujiyoko years. She's amazing at writing catchy melodies that just straight up will grab you and won't let go. Of course she ain't the only awesome composer, but her composer work is probably one of my favorite things about the old games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8RuAasfZcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YvZVpN_7o

Ya thats the stuff, I love NES era music.

Btw I checked some Awakening lunatic run since I only bothered with hard. I saw some guy one shot Grima with his Robin. Rally buffing with everyone and I think he had the dlc skill limit breaker? Lol was kinda satisfying to watch a 99 hit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Poor Catria. :(

https://twitter.com/imnotsher/status/1251392578894757888

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

To make up for the FExpo II closing for coronavirus, they're putting up all the performances (both musical and the stage dramas) from last year up to view for everyone for free for a week in May https://serenesforest.net/2020/04/17/fire-emblem-expo-returns-early-may-free-online-rerun-stage-dramas-online-merch/

that's a nice gesture. The new stage dramas will also have their scripts published, too

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/24914x/status/1251591643725287427?s=20

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I made it through Cindered Shadows, and I really liked it! The four DLC characters are all worthwhile additions. Just inspires more and more runs of 3H until the next game comes out

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I never noticed just how similar these two look. Literally a hairstyle change is what separates them.
https://twitter.com/oreocorio/status/1251906771955748865

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

smh at it not being the Wing Spear.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Pepper posted:

smh at it not being the Wing Spear.
Maybe in her blood-frenzied state she lost it? I mean, I know Peg knights are commonly associated with Lances, but Princess Caeda has always been portrayed as either wielding or having a sword as a side-weapon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

They wanted Palla to have the power creep spear so Caeda got the super duper wing sword and to share a color with her future husband marth.

e: To fully explain the joke that image is based on the new anniversary Caeda

Her weapon deals effective damage to swords, lances, axes, bows and armors.

rannum fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 24, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not to ignore you or anything, but my burning question is where the HELL is my Clair alt? Like I love Alm and Celica but Clair (along with the farmboi himself) was lowkey my offensive GOAT in all of my playthroughs of SoV. The fact that she could still double most enemies that come at her even when I equip her with the Dracoshield from Act 3 onwards is insane. Like her and Alm were in the low 30's on speed before reaching Rigel castle. Absolute Speed Demons, the both of them.

Apropos of the G.O.A.T.'s, I found this cute fanart

:kimchi:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

This entire twitter thread is amazing

https://twitter.com/chaeriinswag/status/1253493621808119809

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/chaeriinswag/status/1253724800679317506

Ashe, Raphael and Dorothea are my favorites so far. :3:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/chaeriinswag/status/1253493637322858496 Edelgard remains the best.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kantopia translated an interview from when Path of Radiance came out
https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2020/04/20/fire-emblem-path-of-radiance-staff-interview-n-o-m-82-may-2005/

It's fun to see them talk about all the worries they had with going into a 3D Game

quote:

Narihiro: Noda is a person who has always made such beautiful maps. But, I had to bear the burden of looking at them and rejecting them, saying, “It’s a beautiful mappp~~~ but we can’t use ittttt~~~.” (laughs).
:allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Almost forgot about it but here's the official recording of last year's FExpo conert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMGXuqu5dCY

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I really dont understand fe4. It's a terrible game and I have no idea how people got through ch1's end into ch2's start. Or hiw they played without a guide to explain that in order to make lex useful he needs to ditch everyone and ride halfway across the map to some random tile with no hint or suggestion whatsoever.

And yet I'm still having fun in spite of the games best efforts?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I really dont understand fe4. It's a terrible game and I have no idea how people got through ch1's end into ch2's start. Or hiw they played without a guide to explain that in order to make lex useful he needs to ditch everyone and ride halfway across the map to some random tile with no hint or suggestion whatsoever.

And yet I'm still having fun in spite of the games best efforts?

Tbf even without the Brave Axe Lex still gouges massive holes in enemies. Like yeah the Brave Axe makes him one the best units in Gen 1 but even without it he has good based and growths in important stats, and Paragon means he can soften up entire enemy squads while getting actual experience for it.

Also yeah the end stretch of Chapter 1 is a slow slog but let’s not pretend poo poo like Arcadia on your first Binding Blade playthrough was any better. God, I hate Arcadia.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The end of FE4 chapter 1 is probably the worst part of the game (maybe tied with the desert in chapter 5 for similar reasons). If you're going in blind but experienced with the rest of the series then yeah FE4 is a major system shock, it takes a hot minute to get used to all the weird unique aspects to it, but once you do I genuinely think it's one of the funnest in the series. My first playthrough I used a guide for certain specific things (planning for kids, brave axe, where special item villages were) but otherwise totally winged it, which I found to be a good balance. I did a replay of Gen 1 recently and tried to be as efficient as possible with money and EXP (including promoting Arden) and it was a very different but also very enjoyable experience. In general I just think the game is weird and different and cool, and there's a lot about it I think would be awesome to have come back in the series (aside from kids because that ship has sailed imo).

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's got intensely bad pacing in some parts but the good parts are just really satisfying to me. Also the pairing and children system is way more fun than in Awakening or Fates because of the way skill inheritance works.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would never play old FE games without extensive reference material on hand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If the end of chapter 1 disqualifies fe1 from being good i assume three houses must be the worst game ever made

The tower with sylvains brother is so insanely bad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FE3B2 chapter 3 remains the worst map in the series. Revelation did its damndest to top it but it kept the crown

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

FE3B2 chapter 3 remains the worst map in the series. Revelation did its damndest to top it but it kept the crown

is that the big spiral that you have to backtrack through most of?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Imo revelation is worse because at least after fe3s worst map the rest of fe3 is decent. After revs worst map, you have to play the rest of rev

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah FE3 is a good game. It just has the single worst map in the series

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

i just played through this on maddening for the first time and it's pretty special alright

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I dunno, you can always just kill matthis. There's no way around 70% of the snow map

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

what's so super bad about this map

everyone seems to hate it and like sure, i don't particularly *like* it either what with its tons of empty space, but i've played worse

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

matthis map and sylvains brother map are both big spirals

makes you think

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FE4 was a really fun game to play blind but not gonna lie, some things I kinda wish I had some "heads up, motherfucker!" with at points. Other than that, yeah, still remains my fave FE game.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Wark Say posted:

FE4 was a really fun game to play blind but not gonna lie, some things I kinda wish I had some "heads up, motherfucker!" with at points. Other than that, yeah, still remains my fave FE game.

Same!

which is why everyone should come read my quarantine project, an fe4 LP, where you will be able to vote on who aideen marries in a few days (my schedule permitting)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Will do! Bookmarked!

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Amppelix posted:

what's so super bad about this map

everyone seems to hate it and like sure, i don't particularly *like* it either what with its tons of empty space, but i've played worse

The turd knight who joins you for the mission and rushes forward triggering all enemies at once. On maddening the best (and only viable I've found) solution is to set up a chokepoint where the chest is and letting the turd knight march on and suicide himself. It's silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

not a bot posted:

The turd knight who joins you for the mission and rushes forward triggering all enemies at once. On maddening the best (and only viable I've found) solution is to set up a chokepoint where the chest is and letting the turd knight march on and suicide himself. It's silly.
I dunno, I kinda like it. It's nice how the game uses gameplay to reinforce the narrative theme of Gilbert being a useless piece of poo poo who makes life harder on everyone else around him all while refusing to look at the bigger picture.