Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That paralogue is hell. I don't even remember how I got through it. It's all a haze.

And I didn't even use Balthus in that playthrough, so I didn't need his relic anyway!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why is the only person that can use the dark seal properly Hubert? This is so dumb

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what do you mean properly

i mean it is a dumb and weird class, but plenty of people can make use of it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alacron posted:

There's a lot of stuff that I'm curious about regarding an FE4 remake. Would they implement a Casual mode, and how would that work wrt to the giant maps? Would they add any new characters? Would they change the weapons and/or classes around? Add branching promotions/class changing? Change how skills work?

I've played through the FE Binary version before, and I'd love to see some of those changes implemented in a proper remake (maybe without the insane enemy inflation though)
I just hope they leave the Exalted/Holy Weapons intact or make them even more broken.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well here's the strat

you undeploy the four slots in the bottom left quadrant of the map, then just run over here and turtle up.

This probably isn't the cool dynamic strategy they had in mind when they made a map where you all start separated, but god drat, there's just too much raw power against you for anything else to be viable. It could've been so cool, too, if only there very only slightly less enemies or they were slightly less powerful! nobody likes being forced to turtle.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Amppelix posted:

This probably isn't the cool dynamic strategy they had in mind when they made a map where you all start separated, but god drat, there's just too much raw power against you for anything else to be viable. It could've been so cool, too, if only there very only slightly less enemies or they were slightly less powerful! nobody likes being forced to turtle.

That's the big issue with 3H reusing maps. There's a chapter that any one map was designed for and is good, and then all the prologues that reuse it and are just ugh.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i really don't think that's the issue here, like i said this could be cool with just minor tweaks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Why is the only person that can use the dark seal properly Hubert? This is so dumb
nobody can make use of the dark seal. you get no good skills for going through it and if you don't have dark magic already you don't keep it, and the classes are inferior to the standard magic classes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't played the DLC (finished CF VW and AM before February), is the Dark Flier class you get Constance with available for anyone else?

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I dunno, Lifetaker might be useful in somebody like Sylvain to use as a magic tank late-game. Pretty niche, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

poison strike and lifetaker are both cool skills imo

poison strike especially owns monsters

but yeah the thing with the classes is they don't actually make dark magic any stronger or better. they just give you ten casts of miasma. woo. hubert can go into the classes "freely" because he can't make use of the black magic skills of warlock anyway, but it still doesn't actually make him that much better. He could just as well be a bishop and get renewal while he's at it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Haven't played the DLC (finished CF VW and AM before February), is the Dark Flier class you get Constance with available for anyone else?

Yes, you’re able to buy seals that let you use the classes of the dlc characters on anyone.

Dark Flier and Valkyrie are female only but Dark Flier is a excellent choice for pretty much any female spellcaster.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i did it! it took 35 turns!!! this map sucks!!!!!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So Hubie can't be a proper flying murder machine.

One job, IntSys! One loving job! :mad:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Wark Say posted:

So Hubie can't be a proper flying murder machine.

One job, IntSys! One loving job! :mad:

Gender restricted classes should be abolished. Let me make Hilda into a Mortal Savant goddammit.

Edit:War Master, I meant War Master :downs:

Alacron fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 24, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alacron posted:

Gender restricted classes should be abolished. Let me make Hilda into a Mortal Savant goddammit.
My favorite Hilda comic...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

and why do female warriors not get the same special animations that male warriors do!!! :mad:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

gender exclusive classes suck and getting rid of them was one of the best things Fates did. I can kind of give a pass to SoV, remake and all, but Three Houses going back on it is so dumb.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i was pissed when i realized i couldn't make dimitri a peg knight

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

why IS Dark Mage male exclusive anyway

wasn't it also male exclsuive in the FE1/3 remakes? weird

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that question has been asked like 20 times in this thread and the 3H one, and the answer is that it makes no sense and nobody knows

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

tharja was too powerful

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

here's another thing that just came to mind: i've always though it was a bit weird how there's a fully functioning S rank in the support bonus system, it gives more stats than A rank and everything, and yet you can't even use it in a single playthrough. the only way to actually have an S rank support with someone during play is to start NG+, recruit them again, and buy it from the journal. Like, at that point why even bother implementing it.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Amppelix posted:

here's another thing that just came to mind: i've always though it was a bit weird how there's a fully functioning S rank in the support bonus system, it gives more stats than A rank and everything, and yet you can't even use it in a single playthrough. the only way to actually have an S rank support with someone during play is to start NG+, recruit them again, and buy it from the journal. Like, at that point why even bother implementing it.

Because “i spent good renown points to get my wifu back and i better get some bonus for my effort” is why.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

E: Wrong thread

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i've entirely forgotten what my plan was for 75% of my units on this 3H save, and my attempt at forensics is not going well. why is mercedes getting riding? why was i seemingly going for a wyvern rider hapi?? and who was going to be the dancer???

this is what i get for deliberately trying to make everyone into some unorthodox build.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Might've been added early before they really decided what they were doing with supports.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

is there a list of 3H support pairs that have special dialogue with each other? you know, when dining, during group task, etc?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the gender exclusive classes and some classes not having special animations feels to me like it's literally just running out of dev time, not an intentional decision. peg knight excepted. none of it makes any sense, it goes against the game's idea, and there's some characters who have specialties that outright contradict what they can access due to their gender, like girls having brawling specialties at all.

it being running out of time makes way more sense than it being an intentional decision.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I mean, by default women using punchy weapons don't have their hands properly aligned the weapons iirc which supports that they ran out of time at least for those. Gremory's name indicates that the gender lock was likely a deliberate choice for at least that class, though; while the demon is referred to in masculine ways, he appears in the form of a woman and dislikes men.

Still, though, I'd rather have stuff cut (who uses hero?! The dark magic classes are nearly worthless outside of putting hubert in a snuggie! None of the lords want lord!) than have gender-locked classes, and the DLC classes shouldn't have that excuse.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

here's that happening by the way:

i always thought this was about female models too but what i've recently noticed is that it's simply about the size of the model. caspar is so short that he too gets displaced gauntlets. so guess they weren't able to finish up gauntlets properly at all.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
manlet/womanlet discrimination... fodlan truly is a harsh land

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I always assumed that 3H's gender-locked classes were aiming to add extra distinction between characters when they're otherwise so flexible. I don't think it works out in practice - strengths and growths do plenty to distinguish units so class limits just feel arbitrary - but it feels like it could be intentional rather than just running out of time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

the gender exclusive classes and some classes not having special animations feels to me like it's literally just running out of dev time, not an intentional decision. peg knight excepted. none of it makes any sense, it goes against the game's idea, and there's some characters who have specialties that outright contradict what they can access due to their gender, like girls having brawling specialties at all.

it being running out of time makes way more sense than it being an intentional decision.
Yeah, I think it was pointed out in more than one article that IntSys + KT had to do some programming motherfuckery to get the drat thing out the door in a timely manner.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wait, i just looked at caspar again and his gloves look fine. i could've sworn i noticed something off with them! oh well, doesn't really matter much besides my overwhelming need to correct myself on the internet.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This weekend, I decided to be honest with myself and to really whittle down my games backlog to games I actually do sincerely want to play. For games that I'm curious about but don't want to play, I'm just going to watch LPs.

Out of the 100+ games I physically own and the similar amount that I digitally own, probably only a fifth of which I've actually beaten, that brought me down to the following five:

Switch: Wargroove
Wii U: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
GBA: Final Fantasy VI
PS4: Kentucky Route Zero
PS1: Xenogears

The only one I'm unsure of there is TMS #FE, in part because it would mean getting the Wii U out of the closet. Did people think TMS Encore was a meaningful improvement, or was it a really token update done to get it on the Switch? For that matter, was it even good if you're not a Persona obsessive?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Switch port has fast-forward sessions and generally faster load times across the board.

That by itself makes it infinitely more playable to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The main proof of "we ran out of time" for gender-locked classes is the female War Master in one of the routes. That one's so out of place but also something i want so much.

surf rock posted:

This weekend, I decided to be honest with myself and to really whittle down my games backlog to games I actually do sincerely want to play. For games that I'm curious about but don't want to play, I'm just going to watch LPs.

Out of the 100+ games I physically own and the similar amount that I digitally own, probably only a fifth of which I've actually beaten, that brought me down to the following five:

Switch: Wargroove
Wii U: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
GBA: Final Fantasy VI
PS4: Kentucky Route Zero
PS1: Xenogears

The only one I'm unsure of there is TMS #FE, in part because it would mean getting the Wii U out of the closet. Did people think TMS Encore was a meaningful improvement, or was it a really token update done to get it on the Switch? For that matter, was it even good if you're not a Persona obsessive?

I can't really answer the first question because I only own Encore, but I can answer the second, and the answer is yes. I've only played Persona 5 to completion, 3 and 4 bored me, and I still enjoyed the hell out of #FE.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Basically, it plays like the RPG parts of Persona without the dating sim parts. So if you’re like me and you see the everyday as the obstacle you must overcome to get to the next dungeon, you’ll like TMS better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tired Moritz posted:

Dark Mage is a better class than Mage with a slightly worse mastery ability. Dark Bishop is a worse class than Warlock (except on Hubert) with a slightly better mastery ability.