Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I married Petra :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

golden bubble posted:

So you are saying that Guidance, Ground Orders, Near Save, and Far Save all need to be added to the next FE game.

I haven't played Heroes to know how those are implemented, and I don't know if they're needed, but going back to the GBA/DS games after 3H did remind me that having some way for high movement units to move less mobile units with them is a fairly elegant solution to a lot of design problems.

Though as with the weapon triangle, I'd rather have stuff like that be universal systems instead of a skill.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

I feel pegasus knights have basically been where they should be. Relatively weak, but fast, massive res, low def and vulnerable to archers. There are times when they can dodge tank, but they're not the hardest hitters or anything. (Caeda excepted) It's wyverns who seem to end up busted. They were totally made with the assumption you'd just have a couple at best.

This isn't totally true, there are a ton of ridiculous Pegs in the last few games and 3 Houses tuned them up pretty ridiculously (especially the enemy versions). Like they're overshadowed by Wyverns but if you just removed Wyverns from the game they'd stand out as really dominant.

They still get a bunch of fantastic positive growth mods in 3 Houses which is kind of insane considering most ground mounted units get penalties to speed etc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Strange Matter posted:

Going from Tellius and Awakening to FE4 and dealing with Erin and Fee's incredibly poor damage output was jarring, to say the least.

In Awakening it was really just Cordelia who was unusually good for a Peg. Sumia could easily get Str-screwed and Cynthia's a kid so kind of out of the usual ratings for a standard FE character. Of the other Peg options, there's Robin, who's busted anyway, and Lissa/Maribelle, who have similar issues as Sumia.

It was similar in Fates. Hinoka is good, but Subaki is a pretty weird Peg.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I've ever had a lovely Hinoka throughout any of my Birthright playthroughs. She can even get good enough Defense to tank Bow weaknesses it ain't even funny, even if she's more likely to just dodge it altogether.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I’ve never had a bad Hinoka but I’ve also never kept her as a Peg instead of immediately reclassing her to Spear Fighter

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

Not quite. The version of Quick Riposte in 3H (automatically follow up if you're attacked on enemy phase and your HP is 50% or higher) is in Heroes....as the unique refine bonus for Roy's Blazing Blade (and thus locked to that specific version of Roy). The actual, useable-by-everyone version of the skill in Heroes has its HP requirement threshold be 70% or higher.
Ok but what does the hp threshold matter when i was just making the point that this skill was introduced in heroes and made its way into the main series

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

faye is the best pegasus knight ive ever had i think

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I assume “best peg knight” excludes FE12 Palla for parity purposes, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Karin is also nigh essential

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Does anyone have a list of recommended fangames for Fire Emblem? Either ROM Hacks or standalone games. Thanks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Does anyone have a list of recommended fangames for Fire Emblem? Either ROM Hacks or standalone games. Thanks
Ostian Nights is a really good FE7 'sequel' romhack. It's mostly a bunch of disconnected little stories about the FE7 cast that take place between FE7 and FE6 and try to bridge the gap between them a bit. Each character's story is like 1-3 maps and the units/stats are mostly preset, so it's not quite the same flow as a standard FE game, but that's a good change of pace.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Order of the Crimson Arm isn't bad.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Troubleshooter.

You can play it on Steam.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Endorph posted:

Ostian Nights is a really good FE7 'sequel' romhack. It's mostly a bunch of disconnected little stories about the FE7 cast that take place between FE7 and FE6 and try to bridge the gap between them a bit. Each character's story is like 1-3 maps and the units/stats are mostly preset, so it's not quite the same flow as a standard FE game, but that's a good change of pace.

Isn't that Elibian Nights? Or did they change the name at some point? It's been ages since I looked at it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fire emblem different dimensions ostian princess. It's a really cool hack that redoes the story from Lyn mode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlazetheInferno posted:

Isn't that Elibian Nights? Or did they change the name at some point? It's been ages since I looked at it.
elibian nights yes. i had a brain fart

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Order of the Crimson Arm is my favourite out of the ones i've played. It's a bit rough (you get vanilla FE7 dialogue from some of the houses and support conversations aren't in yet, though i believe they're written up and can be read in a separate document if you're interested) but it has good story, characters, and gameplay through the whole thing.

I haven't played, but have heard good things about Vision Quest, Dark Lord and The Maiden of Light, Justice & Pride, and Deity Device.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i posted about it before, but i enjoyed crimson arm only up until the midgame maps all began to resemble this:

just a big random smattering of enemies with no real rhyme or reason to them and no pacing at all. there's a reason fire emblem almost always deploys enemies in small formations of similar classes (or units that make sense together), like two fighters and a warrior or whatever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh that just looks like a late game Awakening map to me. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Awakening, a game famous for its great level design

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man, don’t make me bust out the “that’s the joke” emote idk if I can even find it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

well it didn't come across like that was the joke because the thing is that awakening is a totally fine game and its map design barely hurts it because that's not what the game is really about. it's about building god units and watching them go to town on massive enemy forces.

this hack, and GBA FE in general, is extremely not about that though, so in this game this map design is actually like a big problem that hurts the experience a lot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the last promise has hilariously bad writing but as a game is mostly fine, minus a few mid-late game maps that go on too long

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Last Celebration posted:

Man, don’t make me bust out the “that’s the joke” emote idk if I can even find it.
:thejoke:

I wonder if there are 3DS rom hacks (beyond the same-sex support one for Awakening) or just for full-on fan games.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

There's also the Fates gay patch. But that and the Awakening one are the only two I've played. Because every game needs more gay.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I wonder if there are 3DS rom hacks (beyond the same-sex support one for Awakening) or just for full-on fan games.

I think I saw a rebalance patch once googling something or other. I think anyone with any interest in Fateswakening’s systems just moved on to the FE8 rom hacking scene though since it’s pretty robust at this point for that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wark Say posted:

Someone did a Revelation rebalance which mostly just fixed recruited units so you don't have Odin being unable to damage enemies on his recruitment map etc.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have no idea what they were trying to do with the balance in Revelation, but whatever it was, they didn't do it well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I have no idea what they were trying to do with the balance in Revelation, but whatever it was, they didn't do it well.

'oh gently caress, oh gently caress we need to get this out the door. Does it crash? Great, ship it'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ApplesandOranges posted:

'trying' might be the wrong word

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Fond memories of Odin, Laslow, Peri and Niles joining in a chapter where they are mechanically too weak to do anything at all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

road to ruin is fun and competently put together. the male lead kinda sucks and a couple maps use a gimmick that can get a little tedious when the novelty wears off, but overall i had a good time with it

awful emblem demo is great and really my only issue with it is that it ended

if you think every single named character should get a unique prf, consequences be damned, then check out four kings

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pureauthor posted:

Fond memories of Odin, Laslow, Peri and Niles joining in a chapter where they are mechanically too weak to do anything at all.
Bringing that hot Meg and Fiona action into vibrant 3D.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

The "balance" in Revelation is this weird mix of "Units pulled from their arrival times in Birthright/Conquest with +1 or +2 to stats and maybe a level difference" and "What if we threw all of our gimmick maps into an entire campaign, and then all-but-outright-say 'use the Royals all the time' so the player isn't frustrated?". It is dumb and you end up with silly things like Silas being one of the most properly adjusted characters stat-wise, or the aforementioned depressing things like Odin/Niles/Laslow/Peri being so useless they're better off being stat sticks for Xander or Leo or someone else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh that just looks like a late game Awakening map to me. :v:

Nah. Awakening's got a lot of mediocre-to-terrible lategame maps, but it still has enemy arrangements meant to give some kind of wider experience, not just random patterns. It's all Awakening's map design mistakes turned up to eleven.

Speaking of Awakening, I was looking up some heights to see if there was anything official beyond people trying to guess from Smash, and it turns out, in addition to some heights really varying between Smash and the original games (in Awakening, Lucina's got a relatively average height of around 5'3''. In Smash, she's around 5'10, nearly as tall as her dad.) I'd forgotten who the tallest character in the game was.

Turns out, it's Kellam. And he's not just tall, but taller sitting down than the next tallest person in the army standing up. If that's just the main army, that's already impressive (since Cordelia's around 5'6'', we know the average height in the army isn't exactly short), but if that includes Walhart, that makes the only logical assumption that people don't see him because they assume that he's a small barn, or perhaps an unusually large barricade.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reason lucina is so tall in smash is because shes a marth clone. if she was significantly smaller shed have a phantom head hitbox.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

the reason lucina is so tall in smash is because shes a marth clone. if she was significantly smaller shed have a phantom head hitbox.

Same deal as both versions of Ike, Robin, Byleth, and Corrin being the same height, yeah. It's still a bit odd, especially with other clones like Ken and Falco being different sizes, but there's an explanation.

(The really odd bit is Roy being so tall, despite being kind of shrimpy in his home game.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Look at ridley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, Smash changes sizes of various characters for gameplay purposes all the time. That's how you get small Ridley, giant Olimar and the 269 pound Mewtwo weighing less than a 12 year old boy.