Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Dark Magic is nothing special in FE8. Luna got nerfed into the ground from FE7 and the legendary weapon is the only one that's not effective against monsters for some reason. All it's really got going for it is Nosferatu, which is ok, I guess. If you want to use Ewan, just make him a Sage or Mage Knight, even if you already have multiple Anima users.
i know everyone already said this but seriously who cares about optimal gameplay in the easiest game in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I made Amelia a Great Knight because I thought it was hilarious. And it was! She looks like loving Walhart in her battle sprite.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The idea of Amelia in heavy armour is incredible but I always have to make her a paladin because she has unique cavalier and paladin sprites (well the paladin sprite is actually shared with Isadora from the previous game but it's unique in FE8!)

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'd already made Franz a paladin and

Looper posted:

i need one of every class for my collection

but that's cool that Amelia gets unique sprites. It's kinda funny for her to have like 8 Defense as Great Knight, but I wound up shoring her up a bit with a Dracoshield.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

WrightOfWay posted:

Dark Magic is nothing special in FE8. Luna got nerfed into the ground from FE7 and the legendary weapon is the only one that's not effective against monsters for some reason. All it's really got going for it is Nosferatu, which is ok, I guess. If you want to use Ewan, just make him a Sage or Mage Knight, even if you already have multiple Anima users.

Actually make him a Sage because the GBA Sage design is the coolest looking magic unit in the series

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So what's been going on with MoD? Well I'm still chugging along inserting chapter and the like (We're hoping to have all of up to WI completed in the game by the end of my uni holidays) but one of our programmers and the art director cooked up a new rankings augury.

Now, while I know most people don't play for rankings. We hope that by making the information more transparent and easy to check (You can check it mid-map) that they won't find the prospect as daunting. We're also changing the Funds rank to an Item Collection rank. So more ranking you on your ability to acquire the items in the game than hoarding like a dragon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dragons do be hoarding stuff like mad.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'd hoard too if I only got one weapon with a mere 50ish attacks to last them the entire game.

Except for tiki. Tiki is a crazy rebel that shares her giant stockpile of stones with everyone.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm replaying through Conquest right now because I wanted to try out some of the goofier/good Heart Seal builds I've heard about in this thread. I did Wyvern Elise, which is mad good, and I also did Outlaw!Nyx and early promoted her around chapter 12 or so. She's been pretty useful utility wise--and it was nice to have another bow user in chapter 10--but I don't know if the cost was worth it. Maybe her grinding staff rank will be nice for the late-game.

Anyway I have a genetics question. Elise is husbandless, and the choices of the units I'm using are Keaton and Laslow. Now I know both of these will probably be very bad, but whose kid does Elise gently caress up less? I'm leaning towards Elise!Soleil because I'm thinking she may be a serviceable Maid, but I'm not super intelligent at character building.

I don't know much about your hack, but this is cool! I never played for high rankings specifically, but I always enjoyed their existence in the games that had them. Even if they're kind of counter-intuitive in their implementation, I appreciated that they gave direction towards how to play better when I was first learning about the general FE meta.

Your Funds change makes too much sense though, I don't know why it wasn't like that in the first place.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think that Maid Soleil is probably the better choice.

Nyx is always pure utility, whether Dark Knight or Adventurer. I find Adventurer has more staying power simply because of Staff use and the Shining Bow but there's always going to be better options. But even the weakest bow user is always going to be useful simply because of how many fliers exist.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Amelia getting unique sprites is rad it’s a shame she’s so poo poo. FE8 is a complete pushover anyway tho so it doesn’t really matter

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm putting together my own list of units I rarely use for Conquest and trying to figure out how to make a team.

Nyx
Mozu
Keaton
Selena
Laslow
Beruka
Peri
Gunter
Flora
Izana
Arthur
Benny
Charlotte

And that's about it other than kids. I'm wondering how well they would work together. Add in Corrin and Azura and you pretty much have a full team.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In Three Houses, does the weapon a class is "supposed" to use matter other than for the exam? Seems like everyone can use everything based on personal skills.

Also, is there a place on the character panel to check how close they are to mastering a class?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

In Three Houses, does the weapon a class is "supposed" to use matter other than for the exam? Seems like everyone can use everything based on personal skills.

Using weapons gives xp towards that weapon type, making it easier to pass future exams. And many of the later classes have built-in skills which boost their primary weapons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Also, is there a place on the character panel to check how close they are to mastering a class?

A class’ preferred weapon types get more weapons experience after a fight to some degree (like, iirc archers/snipers have a sword proficiency but gain less extra sword exp than bow), but that’s kinda ho-hum compared to the actual intended incentive of Advanced classes having a -Faire in their primary weapon which is +5 attack.

There should be a place to see a little bar representing your current class’s class experience somewhere but it’s been a minute.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The only way to check classes without being in the class change menu is to open the motivation panel (???) and then press ZR

This is indicated in the lower left but who would ever think to check there on the first place

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Okay, yup. Goals --> ZR to Classes --> select a character and look at the classes they've unlocked. Can see both unit xp and that class's skill experience bonuses, answering both my questions.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The menus/status panels were a frustrating part of the Three Houses experience for me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

The menus/status panels were a frustrating part of the Three Houses experience for me.

It's kind of amazing to me how Awakening had a really good UI, and then every game after it made it so much worse.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Three houses attack range indicator was dope as gently caress, so it wasn't all back step.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Dammit, I forgot the Byleth amiibo was coming out so now it's double the price. loving scalpers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Give me femRobin and Byleth amiibos drat it. :argh:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Eimi posted:

Give me femRobin and Byleth amiibos drat it. :argh:

it isnt loving fair!!!!!!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Is it me or is Jill Frizzart an inherently funny name?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

Three houses attack range indicator was dope as gently caress, so it wasn't all back step.
The "We're going to attack this unit" indicator/forecast was also useful as hell.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's only fair that one of Tellius duology's biggest clowns has a funny name. :haw:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Also, when I was trying to find the info on class mastery I came across this gem on a random forum:

"The early classes don't get anything useful anyway so don't bother."

The four basic classes get swap (change with enemy), shove (push ally a space), reposition (flip ally to other side of you) and draw back (pull an ally a space). Sure those moves aren't killing anybody directly and aren't needed most of the time, but as soon as you get jammed up having them in your toolkit is HUGE.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wark Say posted:

It's only fair that one of Tellius duology's biggest clowns has a funny name. :haw:

I just it's a name with big Bart Fargo energy if that makes any sense.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I just it's a name with big Bart Fargo energy if that makes any sense.
I did not know I needed a D!!DR reference on my Wednesday night. :cawg:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sharrrk posted:

it isnt loving fair!!!!!!!!

Robin, it kinda makes sense. Boy Robin is pretty well established as the baseline version, and it's been a long time since the original Amiibo came out.

Byleth, it just feels odd, especially since both versions of Corrin were released. I guess sales could have been weaker for female Corrin or something, but without more data, it feels hard to explain. Especially since female Byleth got double the votes in the latest Heroes popularity poll.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

I guess sales could have been weaker for female Corrin or something
lmao, nope!

Who here has the story about Corrin (specifically female Corrin) being, like, stupid-big popular in SEA countries?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

lmao, nope!

Who here has the story about Corrin (specifically female Corrin) being, like, stupid-big popular in SEA countries?

I didn't mean Corrin in general. I meant the Amiibo specifically.

Female Corrin is the one with a Figma and does absurdly better than male Corrin in polling. This was "maybe there's a specific weird edge case?", not "The more popular Corrin is unpopular?".

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I collect the Fire Emblem amiibo. I have all but the Player 2 Chrom, and I might tell my son to get him for me for Father's Day.

The day the Corrin was announced, the pre-orders for the female version were sold out and I ended up having to pay double MSRP to get her. Didn't have a problem with the male version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the actual answer: nintendo and intsys are companies run by 50-60 year old men

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

I didn't mean Corrin in general. I meant the Amiibo specifically.

Female Corrin is the one with a Figma and does absurdly better than male Corrin in polling. This was "maybe there's a specific weird edge case?", not "The more popular Corrin is unpopular?".
Yeah, my bad, I just read your take and it made me go :crossarms:

Endorph posted:

the actual answer: nintendo and intsys are companies run by 50-60 year old men
Old Farts can come in many varieties, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

No it totally is. I didn't learn that was her last name until a few months ago in this thread and it fuckin killed me.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
ugh I'd forgotten how rough the first couple chapters of Conquest are if you're not using everyone

1-stat level counter is already at 1

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm loving all these made-up leaks about FE at E3. Every one I saw were convinced that Nintendo is going to show off a Tellius remake, but like two days ago some guy comes around saying it's definitely a Genealogy remake.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Who are you not using?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Walla posted:

Who are you not using?
Silas, Effie and Elise thus far. Chapter 7 is just kind of a clusterfuck with all the Faceless rushing you. Up to chapter 8 now and getting to the third village is going to be very tricky. Niles with Odin as a backpack can handle the mages at the bottom (if he decides to loving hit) but getting to the village without Flora freezing him is much dicier and I can't effectively rush the top ton of enemies with just Corrin, Jakob and Arthur. Also, ye gods, Arthur's bases are dreadful.

Chapter 9 should be mostly fine and then chapter 10 is probably going to be a total clusterfuck without using any of Camilla and her retainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

No it totally is. I didn't learn that was her last name until a few months ago in this thread and it fuckin killed me.

Fire Emblem characters with last names (pre-Three Houses) are just weird.