Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

theshim posted:

The funny thing is that the difficulty of this run was supposed to ramp up as time went on and my units failed to keep up with enemy scaling and required a lot of weird positioning and tactics to keep them alive. Birthright's Bad Units Run had parts early where I wasn't using too many people, but it also didn't feature a defense map where you're getting rushed from all angles. I'm considering my options in terms of using other units just to sneak by chapter 10, since this chapter isn't necessarily that hard because of the quality of the units, but the quantity.

It can be done, it just depends on how adamant you are that Camilla and crew see absolutely zero use. Also Nyx, Corrin and Jakob need to reach certain benchmarks.

Nyx needs 14 speed and 17 attack. The attack is covered by her starting fire tome and malefic aura so it's critical to make sure she gets a point of speed and a speed tonic. Also give her a str tonic, a +1 bronze bow and a heart seal.

Corrin needs 14 speed and 25 attack. Having Jakob in attack stance is +2 attack and +7 defense, so make sure Corrin's defense isn't too high or the 2 waves of oni savages will ignore her.

Jakob needs 17 speed and 20 attack.

This lets Nyx one round the onis to the left, Corrin one rounds the onis to the right and Jakob with Corrin in Guard Stance can one round the spear fighters with an iron dagger and one round the onis with a steel dagger. He should be strong enough to one shot the ninjas with a steel dagger.

By turn 7 everyone needs to be headed to the green zone, paired up. Turns 8-11 is everyone paired up in the green zone either healing or killing a fool. If you pair Nyx behind Camilla, and Selena and Beruka behind Arthur and Odin then the only actual use Camilla's crew will see will be to be backpacks for 4 turns. No one will attack Camilla because her defense is too drat high relative to everyone else. I just cleared Chapter 10 this way and I didn't even promote Niles.

You can even get the Dual Club with a flyer Corrin without using a castle bonus if you're willing to burn a use of the Rescue staff on turn 1.

Also you could capture a couple of units in Chapter 9 if you want extra hands. Even if you don't want Haitaka, an archer and a samurai would be a huge help here and would save you from having to use a Heart Seal on Nyx.

Edit: This has been fun!

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm up to map 17 in FE8. The game has been pretty easy so far (easy mode, and my units basically always double enemy units it seems like) and now they've gone and given me this delete button called Myrrh?

I like this game, but I'm definitely going to try it on Hard Mode next time.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just be careful with Myrrh. Unlike Awakening and Fates, that one dragon stone is all she gets.

Which route did you pick?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I went with Eirika's route. Does it make a difference past this point now that I've got Eirika and Ephraim?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

no, except in the story

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Not at all. The maps in between are different and get you different characters at different times. Also Ephraim's route is harder, so Ephraim Hard Mode is more of a legitimate challenge compared to Eirika's.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a few minor differences in the maps. Mostly enemy layouts and starting positions. The story also changes a bit. But broadly speaking they're very similar.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Walla posted:

Not at all. The maps in between are different and get you different characters at different times. Also Ephraim's route is harder, so Ephraim Hard Mode is more of a legitimate challenge compared to Eirika's.

Especially Ghost Ship.

Ghost Ship is bullshit, and it killed my Ephriam run as a kid. Fog of war plus flying enemies plus limited mobility adds up to make for a bad time for your more vulnerable units.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

another difference is that there are some maps that still require only eirika or ephraim, depending on the route you're on (though some require both.) but 1 deployment slot isnt exactly a massive gameplay difference.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

Especially Ghost Ship.

Ghost Ship is bullshit, and it killed my Ephriam run as a kid. Fog of war plus flying enemies plus limited mobility adds up to make for a bad time for your more vulnerable units.

Ghost Ship is a pain, but the 2 units you can get on the previous map make it much easier.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what, you want me to use duessel? he steals all my EXP!!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
he also kills the poo poo out of enemies which means you win the map

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
he's also cool!!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I hoped that was an obvious joke

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The only joke is someone not using the silver haired majesty that is duessel

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, Seth is also there.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I mean, Seth is also there.

Seth doesn't even have a mustache

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Here's a hot take: Seth and Duessel.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I hoped that was an obvious joke

my main man duessel the diesel is nothing to joke about

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Walla posted:

Here's a hot take: Seth and Duessel.

Like, uh, together? Mounted boyfriends??

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

Like, uh, together? Mounted boyfriends??

Duessel exudes strong gay dad energy

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Seth is pretty. They make a good murder couple.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Duessel is too good for Seth. That loser can go back to pining over the princess who spurned him for story time with a mountain hermit.

E: Also he's too busy being a surrogate parent to amelia to be bogged down with trivialities like romance

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 24, 2021

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Walla posted:

Edit: This has been fun!
Finally beat Chapter 10. I did end up having to stick Camilla and crew as pair ups (though I used all three as support characters). Jakob getting a strength surge from a random event was extremely helpful, if not necessarily a reliable strategy. I really should have thrown a speed tonic on Arthur, but with the meal bonus and the speed level he gained part way through he was able to double the oni savages and one-round them with some support. I also needed Corrin to get hit by a ninja on turn 1 so her defense would be lowered and the spear fighters would actually suicide into her. Nosfertanking is still really good and I always underestimate it.

I got a bunch of bad levels and I can't care at this point because I'm out. I'm sure they're gonna come back and bite me later. Arthur has been getting a bunch of HP/Str/Skl/Spd but no defenses and that's rapidly going to become a problem, Niles refuses to gain Str, and Jakob has never heard of Def and Res. He's 14 at this point, so as soon as he levels and picks up Tomebreaker I'm gonna reclass him, probably to Paladin (or maybe Dread Fighter so I still have someone who can use daggers). It will suck to lose my only healer, though.

Still, that's one of the nastiest humps in the run conquered!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
People always say pre-promotes are okay to use because there not actually stealing exp and are actually optimal etc. but I always hated using them because they're just not as fun to use. With growth units you get to take them through most of the game, get attached to them, actually experience the feeling of them going from not being able to tank a Brigand to being able to OHKO a General with an Iron Sword, and see them turn out in fun and unexpected ways do to random level ups. With pre-promotes there just, there. What you see is what you get. They are immediately good to great and in the exact same specific every time. You never get that time Lyn Hulks out on her strength cap or your Knight gets bad defensive levels but is blessed in speed.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

galagazombie posted:

People always say pre-promotes are okay to use because there not actually stealing exp and are actually optimal etc. but I always hated using them because they're just not as fun to use. With growth units you get to take them through most of the game, get attached to them, actually experience the feeling of them going from not being able to tank a Brigand to being able to OHKO a General with an Iron Sword, and see them turn out in fun and unexpected ways do to random level ups. With pre-promotes there just, there. What you see is what you get. They are immediately good to great and in the exact same specific every time. You never get that time Lyn Hulks out on her strength cap or your Knight gets bad defensive levels but is blessed in speed.

It's absolutely fine if you don't want to use a pre-promote, it's just people got sick of the "never use an 'exp thief' regardless of how much they can contribute" mentality a lot of people had online and have been pushing back against that. I was guilty of it myself for a long time. It's a stupid mindset to fall into. Same with the classic "never promote before level 20" thing.

Personally I think it's fun as hell to watch Duessel chew through the ghost ship, or throw Titania in the middle of a map and watch enemies delete themselves on her.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also, i personally get a bit of that "seeing how a unit turns out" thing even from using prepromotes with low growths. Precisely because they are so low, every single point you manage to get into an important stat like strength or speed feels enormous, and can actually significantly extend the unit's viability period.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I also generally prefer to raise my own, except Jaffar, who's so busted it's funny again every time

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Amppelix posted:

Also, i personally get a bit of that "seeing how a unit turns out" thing even from using prepromotes with low growths. Precisely because they are so low, every single point you manage to get into an important stat like strength or speed feels enormous, and can actually significantly extend the unit's viability period.

Marcus in a nutshell.

Also having a pre promote available just makes life easier. Soloing Chapter 7 of Awakening with Frederick just feels good, even if you never use him again.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

TriffTshngo posted:

Same with the classic "never promote before level 20" thing.
I will never promote before 20 and you cannot stop me

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

theshim posted:

Btw, I'm glad you made it past Ch 10. It almost amazes me that chapter can be completed with such limitations, and apparently with multiple different strategies. That chapter is probably my favorite map in the series.

Good luck with Chapter 12 and 14. :)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'll promote before 20 if i feel like i need to

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waiting until 20 to promote is harder and I often enjoy that challenge.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

My point was you should promote whenever the gently caress you want because it's all equally valid and if you want to wait until the last third of the game for it to happen then go for it, but don't do so under the impression that it's the correct way to play or that it's at all necessary for stuff other than the ultra hard Fateswakening DLC or something like that. Maybe it's helpful on Lunatic as well, idk.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

theshim posted:

A person whose never promoted a healer is a shameful person

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

healers always reach level 20 before anyone else in my experience

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like using prepromotes because them being static and reliable makes them feel more fun and consistent to use across repeat playthroughs, and due to gameplay/plot integration they are often older and weirder characters than 'plucky young archer' and 'serious young knight'.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like to use a few prepromotes cuz they can be fun but i do get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing my weaker units get stronger over time. really though i just want to use who i think i cool at the end of the day. my favorite is when i can use all of my guys moreorless equally like in sov or 3h instead of having to bench someone

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I always want one character thats always healing so i've never felt the need to rush promote a healer. Eventually i hit a point where i don't feel like i need a heal every turn but my healers usually already promoted before i hit that point lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sharrrk posted:

healers always reach level 20 before anyone else in my experience

This only tells me i play more carefully then you