Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mangs has always been lovely and it was annoying whenever someone did a crossover with him. Good riddance.

As for Mekkah, there have definitely been times when he's been a bit cringe, usually when he's talking about how he doesn't like the fanservicey designs from Fates/etc. I don't think he's misogynistic, definitely not to the level being suggested. If you listened to him for an extended period of time you'd come away with "this guy sure likes talking forever about whether Seth or Titania is the better unit" and not that he's a creep, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Is Mekkah the guy that makes long-rear end tier videos?

That's his main thing, along with ironman runs of the games, and "play fire emblem better"-type videos. The Mr. Plinkett style review of FE7 was definitely cringe, as are all Mr. Plinkett related things.

Tired Moritz posted:

There's no good FEtuber tbh

Goon project: It's time to get a vtuber to play fire emblem.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

while mekkah has never met a female character he thinks should exist.

This is so far off the mark and I'm not even sure where the sentiment is coming from.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Chaz Aria LLC also getting called out. All FEtubers are bad.

https://twitter.com/Indie_Calls/status/1281380746830262274?s=20

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Also, truth_fe is a puppet account run by the accused (or someone close to the accused, since the account constantly posts things only the accused has access to) in this case. And this guy saying she's lying basically went to the accused who said "she's lying" and he took him at his word. I don't really see what he's posted that confirms she was lying other than just calling her a liar. The fact he dipped out but his puppet account (dedicated to believing the victims) and associated allies circled the wagons immediately is pretty sus.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Onmi posted:

Is it a puppet account? I'd heard that claim coming from /feg/ but nowhere else. But if you say so, I'll believe it.

It's purely circumstantial but what people are saying is:
- The account posts things that only Chaz could have access to.
- Chaz had been beefing with Mangs for a while but getting heat for it, hence creating an anonymous account.
- The second Chaz gets accussed the account goes to work in his defense almost immediately, like it was expecting it.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm glad Cordelia will never score.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

rannum posted:

reinhardt will get into fire emblem warriors 2 and be playable in shadows of thracia

*have his own route in Shadows of Thracia.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Nah, I think it takes away one of the few unique things about bows. I feel like they should lean more into the +Range skills instead to make them not just a worse magic class. 2-3 range should be the default, gently caress your hand axes, javelins, and tomes.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Not sure how different FE6 stat screen is from FE7 but here's the 7 ones. I think they're great.

Honestly I have never minded that the calculated stats are on page two because the GUI in the GBA games is so snappy. It takes no time to go look at them and even then you still have to calculate weapon triangle bonuses yourself. If you wanted to do something to make it easier to look at calculated stats then I would say move page 2 to page 1, I feel like I am usually more interested in seeing my units inventory than their raw stats anyways. You could get rid of the "Equipment" label and Rng display since those aren't helpful for veteran players. I guess you would need 1 more space to show the 7th stat you have there but I'm sure there's some way to squeeze it in.

Opinions on reworked version: Level/XP take up twice the room as before in a less elegant way and Maximum HP shows up twice. I would rather it just extend the stats section down one more row so you could fit Magic and Stamina in and then left as is. B/W/L getting replaced with the skill bar is fine. Moving affinity and doing something about the Con/Aid situation would be another way to fit a few more stats in.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Onmi posted:

Mid process of implementing changes into the game.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I was gonna say that these look a lot better than the mockups you posted earlier, but then I went back and looked and the only actual change is reducing the real estate that level and exp are using, so uh

I think maybe seeing all three pages at once stacked right on top of each other made everything feel more cluttered to me than it actually was.

A lot more changed. The portrait box is cropped, they added back the "Personal Data" banner, HP is gone from the right box section. Honestly I think it looks a lot better than the mockup version and I will say that I think it's an alright change. That said I'm still not a fan of the Level/XP situation; I think I just hate LV being in bold huge letters next to other things in non-bold non-allcaps. Maybe stamina should be at the top of column two since its a 'bar' type stat and Level/XP should be at the bottom because its unique from the others.

The growths being shown like that feels kind of bad, its like the game is passing judgement on the stats as they are and not the growth rates. I think using the helper tooltip functionality if possible would be a neat way to handle it. That way you could show the exact percentage instead of a rough guess on the value. Not sure if that is possible though.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Fursonally, and this is from someone who thought the first mockup was too many numbers, I think it looks good. It's cluttered at default resolution but doesn't look bad at 2x zoom. I think the squigglies around the calculated stats box should go though, they make it tougher to see the labels in that box.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

This looks perfectly readable to me, especially if they get rid of the squigglies in some of the borders.

If you wanted to fit AS and Dodge on there then you could remove the unused weapon ranks from that section and make the calculated section wider, unless there is some rear end in a top hat with every weapon rank.

Edit: Solution: port your mod to the DS so you have enough space.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 21, 2020

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

You can totally leave Eliwood and Lyn at the starting area if you want; you don't have to train them even if they're force deployed and you don't have to spend boosters on them. If you're running HHM with Lyn Mode then either Sain or Kent or both should be strong enough to keep Lyn alive in chapter 16. The only other chapters I can think of where they're in danger at the starting area is Dragon's Gate where you can easily leave a unit to mop up the peg knights that show up and chapter 26 where Pent can easily murder everything to keep them safe. Instead of spending your boosters on Lyn/Eliwood you could just make a super prepromoted Sain/Kent and have them mop up everything with their 8 move and access to every weapon type. Not that you can't use all of the lords if you want, but don't feel that you have to just because they get force deployed sometimes.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I never thought about not using your boosters before to be honest. While +4 hit may not be a lot, it could be a handful of hits over the course of a run if you give it to one of your important units. An extra hit might not matter most of the time or it could turn defeat into victory depending on how well you're playing. Holding onto your boosters might be worth it just for getting more tactician stars; +1 Hit/Avoid for similar affinity units in exchange for your secret book sitting on the bench? That is really splitting hairs though, maybe if the game was tougher it would warrant that kind of discussion.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Zore posted:

Echoes and 3 Houses change the calculus here a bit since promotion drags stats up to a minimum. So using a Dracoshield should be done immediately after a promotion for best effect etc. I really actually dislike how this complicates using stat boosters and how you can waste them.

Largely though yeah you want them ASAP.

Not a huge problem because I usually don't use boosters to shore up terrible stats that would get affected by the minimums. If your unit's strength/speed are so bad that they get raised by the minimum then you probably aren't going to salvage them with a +2. Only case I can think of where it matters is luck since I usually try to shore that up to avoid crits. Maybe if you want to put a +HP on Lysithea after unlocking armored knight for her.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Onmi posted:

It's in-game now. Still making adjustments.

:discourse:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I don't think gimping your army for the fun of it has been a driving force behind this franchise. Most discussion besides story and shipping is usually focused on what the optimal units to use are. I'm not saying gimmick runs aren't fun just that I don't think calling it a central theme of this series is correct.

Also I dislike the class system in 3H because I turn every combat unit into a flier and everyone else into a gremory. Maybe if I do another run someday I'll try to keep characters in their native class path and see how it goes. I forget if I disliked it in Awakening but if you unlocked the kids you ended up overlevelled anyways so it didn't matter as much what you were.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 27, 2020

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

No Secret Card; No Gamer Feather

(What the frig was Cowga thinking when he came up with that requirement?)

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Oh no I got that too.

Gamer Hell Yeah.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Stamina is cool and I like it but I'm glad it isn't in other games. It sort of accomplishes its goal of getting you to use more units, but getting you to switch between Asbel/Orsin/Dagdar isn't that big of a win imo. Like at no point in my runs did I have to resort to deploying the Soldier Boys because I ran out of units. It sounds bad on paper, but I think it's fine that most games let you use your best units over and over. I think some kind of exp share for your undeployed units would be nice though so they don't end up perma-benched due to falling behind.

Also, if the remake changes anything then I think Endorph's idea of fatigue inducing a stat penalty instead is better. It would suck to be in a situation where you can't get a unit because of something you did last chapter. Going off of memory you could miss the following due to units being fatigued: Tina, Connomor, Amalda, Ilios, Misha, Homer, Shanam, Lara promotion, Linoan promotion, Galzus, Eyvel

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Amppelix posted:

you realize this just reinforces the point, right? fatigue isn't actually so bad that it forces you to use all the worst units in the game. but its mere existence causes you to *think* about the prospect in a way that you never would otherwise.

I'm saying it's interesting as a one-off mechanic but isn't interesting enough to bring over to other games. On your first playthrough it is spooky and you worry too much about it, which is fun and good. Then on subsequent playthroughs you kind of just make sure not to deploy all your best units all the time, especially when you don't need them. If they kept it in future games it would just end up being second nature for veterans (boring) and also lead to units/enemies being blander (stats-wise) like they are in Thracia.

Edit: I guess the point I'm really trying to make is that one-off mechanics are good because they give the games their own identity. I think Fatigue, Capture, and Scrolls are good and maybe one of those should have made it into future games but not all of them should have. It lets Thracia have an identity that some of the other games really lack. Like what's the first thing one thinks of when they think about FE7? Rain?

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 14, 2020

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Somewhere around when you get the second warp staff I stopped caring about collecting all the treasures and just started doing a pseudo-LTC

But enough about Thracia,

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Thracia would be a lot more boring without skills, imo. It sucks when enemies have miracle or pavise, though.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

The primary difference between magic and weapons is that magic lists are personal, but weapons can be traded. Weapon ranks are purely class based, like in FE4, but without the holy blood. Iron/steel/silver have infinite uses (as do basic spells like fire), and mostly serve as a mechanical boost for having a high weapon rank--berserkers get to use a better "default" axe than a class that has axes as their side weapon. Fancy weapons like ridersbanes and longbows and whatnot have per-map durability, like spells.

I like all of this. Maybe the special weapons don't need durability though, just have them be rare so you can't field that many.

Endorph posted:

seriously people complain about fates but three houses has one of the worst UIs ive ever seen in a video game and the only reason it isnt as bad as fates is shurikens and weapon buffs/debuffs dont exist.

I'm a moron so maybe it's just me but the number of times I was trying to find class XP or some other stat on a character sheet in FE3H but couldn't because it's in a different place when you're deployed versus at the monastery is too drat high. It's a terrible UI.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I will not be erased like th-

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Straight Delegation demands more Hilda's.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Rhea worship is annoying even as someone that doesn't hate Rhea, but if I discounted every character with an annoying quirk then 100% of the cast would be gone.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I think a lot of complaints for FE6 hardness comes down to shakey hit rates on some of the bosses/in general, which isn't very fun to deal with since it's just a dice roll.

Speaking of which I kind of hope hit rates just... go away soon. I don't know how I would replace them or deal with crit but getting rid of the battle RNG would make the games better IMO. They've gone to a lot of trouble to make the RNG less frustrating (2RN, rerolling stats, Divine Pulse) and the only people that enjoy missing a 96% and dying to a 1% hit are the three people who won't shut up about playing Iron Mans.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 24, 2021

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I don't want enemies and the players to have different rules for how combat works, I just want to remove what I feel is a pointless bit of randomness that could be replaced with a more interesting deterministic system (I don't know what though). I don't think anyone sees a 10% hit rate and thinks of it any differently than a 20% hit rate, they may as well be the same; same for an 80% hit and a 90% hit, it's guaranteed as far as I am concerned. Everyone probably has different thresholds for what they consider to be a miss/coinflip/surething, but I feel like there is some way to turn it into a deterministic system without losing the current feel of things. Critical is more complicated because they are almost always low chance things, but if crits got limited to special circumstances (skill activation, effective weapons) I wouldn't mind so much.

I haven't played Fates, so I didn't know about this, but look at this poo poo (when hit > 50 (Is This Real?)):
(Hit rate × 100) + (40 / 3) × Hit rate × sin((0.02(Hit rate) − 1) × 180)

They're just throwing stuff at a wall trying to find the right feel for the RNG and I feel like they should Gordin Knot this thing and replace it.

This thought mostly came about while watching dondon151's FE7 LTC, where he rigs a lot of hits/criticals/misses. Since he could start over as much as needed to get the RNG normally, there isn't a good argument against rigging things since it just saves time. Basically every LTCer has their own thresholds for what they're willing to roll for and it feels sad they put in so much effort but still go "Well I am willing to rig any crit above a 10% and any hit above a 50%". The dude is also good at normal RTA speedrunning so it's not like he can't handle dealing with the RNG as-is, either.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Zore posted:

Purely deterministic systems suck because they're pretty trivially solved and turn the game into a really simple puzzle game.

Chess, a really simple puzzle game, trivially solved by my galaxy brain.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Zore posted:

Chess has an opponent providing the variance. Fire Emblem AI would need to like actually exist to provide the same experience instead of every map having enemies that react in exactly the same way based on triggers or movements.

Like enemy movement is already deterministic in these games. The equivalent would be playing chess against an AI that always makes the same moves which yeah would be trivially easy to solve

There's ~30 maps per game, dozens of units, units have a dozen stats, there are numerous items, tons of enemy units, etc. If you've somehow memorized all of that information, memorized the right moves to make, and can replay the game making all the right moves, then I doubt the variance from hit rates is going to challenge you. It sounds like you're speedrunning at that point and would already have some contingincies in place in case of bad RNG. If RNG needs to be applied for replayability then it would better in the other forms it already appears e.g. growth rates and randomized enemy stats.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Maybe you should play a real tactical game if you don't care about the stories or characters, it would probably be more interesting for you.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It's pretty rare for non-Sword Master enemies or enemies without Killing Edges/Thunder to have non-zero critical against you; the only time that it comes up otherwise is if you're using units with atrocious luck stats like Raven or Arthur. There's lots of ways to work around it though (using high luck units, bringing support partners nearby, bringing someone tanky enough to tank it), so it's not a big deal really.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Two tactician stars also makes it zero crit against Marcus, although I do not know how many of those you generally have at that point. If you've leveled Oswin and/or promoted him (don't @ me) he could probably facetank a crit as well; maybe Hector could as well (could also grind a support with Eliwood/Lyn in the worst case). But yeah, most characters have lower luck at base than I thought in that game.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

So what showed up in your version?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

This suggests that hard mode just makes them appear again on turns 15 and 19, not both north and south at turn 8.
https://fe6.triangleattack.com/chapters/rescue_mission

Edit: Also, looking at the original spanish page for that chapter it does say turn 18, so someone missed a 1 when translating it. Although, now it's a matter of whether it's turn 18 or 19 since the two sources differ.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 1, 2021

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The menus/status panels were a frustrating part of the Three Houses experience for me.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Intelligent Systems and Nintendo have a moral duty to release a new Fire Emblem so we can be free from these fail Three Houses arguments and enter the promised land of the Loptous Is Based And Child Hunts Are Cool And Good Actually discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Accost triggering even when he can't retaliate (ballista, siege tomes) lowers my opinion of Dagdar a lot; he can usually handle that but it definitely makes him less tanky than he appears to be especially against magic. He's still one of the best capturers along with Finn, but I usually don't end up using him much once he returns.