Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I mean, you can always... not do the random encounters. It's not like that's impossible or anything, and the difficulty curve holds up fine. Better, in fact.

Map design still sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Momomo posted:

Radiant Dawn has a lot of logical problems, but I think you could probably find the exact same issues with every other game. The problems I found are more because it shoots for the moon and fails horribly.

Also, while Micaiah is a Mary Sue, she at least... sort of had an arc. Kind of. More like a triangle than an arc, but she at least had a point in the story where her character changed. Ike has always been the exact same person and he's treated like god, so I'd say he's the worse character. I think the unsung hero of that game was Elincia, strangely enough, even though I hated her in the last game.

I think Micaiah's arc was canceled, like everybody else's, by the flat, boring part 4. It's pretty clear where they're going with it in Part 3: the "savior of Daein" is put in a position where Daein is wrong, and she has no real option but to continue pressing down that wrong path, even though she's just postponing the inevitable. Both chapters in which the Dawn Brigade and Ike's squad fight make it clear through gameplay that her people have no chance against the Laguz Alliance.

Part of the reason it doesn't work is that the Dawn Brigade doesn't get enough screentime, so it all ends up underdone. And then Part 4 turns her into an actual savior figure, which doesn't work at all and just makes her boring instead.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I must say, were I to list things that could go wrong with a computer, I don't think I would have ever gotten to "filled with spiders".

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

How do you have 9 viable people on Lunatic, so far I have 4 adults and getting that 4th one (after Chrom, Robin and Fred) has been my greatest accomplishment in Fire Emblem history.

I was going to get Henry too but I'm pretty sure that poo poo isn't happening.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

So, playing POR is really fun! I can easily see why people in this thread and other places consider it the best FE game. My only complaint is that I can't see my numbers during the fight. And the models really don't hold up in 2015 as they were in 2005. But other than that, it's a mechanically sound game. My army doesn't have a standout yet, but I think mine is gonna be Astrid because she's a level 3 Paladin and is already a couple of points from capping speed :v:

To be honest, Path of Radiance was ugly in 2005 too.

Still great, just not a pretty game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I've always been fond of the idea of giving Archers a skill to dodge any counterattack when attacking on their turn. It gives them "long range," in a sense: If archers had 2-3 range base, they can attack without fear of a counterattack whenever they want, on their own turn. This skill gives them the same ability, without affecting their range on the map itself. It makes them effective against spellcasters too, which feels right.

Onmi's changes seem fine given the sort of hack they are making though (i.e. other classes are also getting dramatic changes).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hey Fire Emblem thread. Is FE10 hard mode fun or terrible? I recall it involves counting squares, which sounds bad. In addition it has Leonardo, which also sounds bad.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Azran posted:

Hey so if I were to pick up a 3DS, is Fire Emblem Awakening still one of the best games on the system and should definitely pick it up? I don't know if the whole DLC thing/Nintendo store has any kind of region lock because that would suck.

How much content is there? I've pretty much played every single Fire Emblem out there, except for Awakening :v:

If you've played every Fire Emblem, play on Hard. Hard is fairly tough at the beginning, but quickly settles into a difficulty a regular FE player would be comfortable with. I played the game on Normal first, and regretted it---the game became way too easy in the back half.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Terper posted:

The developers wanted to make a game which took the Arran/Samson choice from FE1 to its extreme

A cynic would say that Intelligent Systems can only remix ideas from earlier games now, and is incapable of coming up with any new ideas. But I'm not a cynic. Indeed, I think IS can come up with many new, cool, fun ideas; but they can only explain them using references to earlier games.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Anna Anthropy of all people has a really cool article about Jeigans. Her thesis is very similar to Bongo Bill's: Jeigans are a super cool dynamic difficulty system that lets the player both smooth the difficulty curve, by pulling out Marcus when the going gets tough, as well as make the game easier or harder at her whim.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think Radiant Dawn wins for funniest single line, though. And it comes really early in the game too!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Gettin nostalgic about loading the suspend file to see Hector get stabbed to death over and over again.

For some reason I always hoped he would live the second or third time.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The real question is: What will they do for characters whose only weapon is made of canvas?

nrook fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 21, 2017

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Fourteen years after the release of Fire Emblem in the United States, I finally realize Softly with Grace is just a sweet xylophone rearrangement of Black Fang.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Why is everyone assuming there's going to be a port. Here's what I learned from those images: Jill is still the best 10 years later

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I mean, Bartre looks pretty good in comparison standing next to Dorcas

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Also, there should be little hint skits when you restart a chapter, like in Advance Wars. I want to hear Takumi making fun of me for losing chapter 10 over and over again.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

You could just play Normal instead if you like Conquest's cast. Conquest Hard is a grueling experience and you shouldn't put yourself through it unless that's what you're looking for from Fire Emblem.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Binge reading them also hurts the Awakening/Fates supports a lot more than earlier ones, just because there are more of them. If you read 14 Subaki supports in a row you're going to get sick of the dude, but if there were only 5 you'd probably be fine.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Zore posted:

Uh, that sounds kinda bad tbh. Like the Fates silver weapon modifiers except applied to everything.

I think this is one of those mechanics where you either love it or you hate it. It sounds great to me, a straightforward way to let you use a bunch of characters, but then I liked Fates silver weapons too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Tae posted:

45 dollars for the season pass is....blah.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Expensia

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Poor RD Ike. "Why would we need to give Ike a character arc? He already had one in Path of Radiance!"

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm a big fan of the final map in Act 3, too. It does a good job of making the player feel like the universe is hosed and something really bad is about to happen. The mysterious counter is a nice touch.

I feel like every fire emblem community has the Radiant Dawn postmortem discussion at least once a year. There are some really cool things about the game; it just doesn't end up coming together.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I played birthright's final chapter the slow way. The map winds up being fun and good if you do, it does a good job of escalating the pressure.

Both birthright and conquest have great final maps; it's just a shame you can't save before them, which means no one remembers then fondly.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I gave Bartre all the stat boosters the last time I played FE7.

I highly recommend this for replays. Give a bad character tons of free stuff and turn them into a god, it's great for novelty.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

ungulateman posted:

it's a specific variation on 'erika' which is (obviously) derived from the masculine 'erik'

same with 'amelia' being a variation of 'emily' and 'florina' being a feminine variation on 'florin'

Well that explains this scene

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The best fog of war map is obviously the one where Lloyd walks straight out of the fog and crits your squishiest frontliner

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Fates was also a game where doing a bunch of damage on the player phase could make up for being unable to contribute on the enemy phase. You could do lots of cool tricks with offensive pair-up, like letting Niles deal effective damage against a bunch of different pegasus knights in a single player phase. And I just found the enemies to be tough enough that having somebody who could kill somebody without taking any damage was useful.

Now I want to play Conquest again.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Did you skip the killer bow? I can see them being a lot less impressive without one.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

Incidentally we're playing both Conquest on Hard/Classic and Hector on Hard (did we mention this was our first proper (i.e. non-Heroes) FE games?) because we hate ourselves, so we'll probably get there soon enough!

I recommend against playing Conquest on hard if you're a newer player! You'll get destroyed and be sad. Normal is hard enough, I found Hard oppressive even as a more experienced player.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I just finished Echoes, and wow, the themes of the story wind up being pretty depressing!

So Alm and Celica mirror Duma and Mila, respectively. The age of gods has passed, and now it's time for humankind to take the reins of society, and so on. It's all pretty explicit. Echoing Mila, Celica wants a society where people don't have to fight and die, but she makes a series of increasingly bad deals in order to secure such a future. And Alm becomes a revolutionary military leader who seizes power by force, but he winds up personally killing all of his blood relatives.

So Duma's way is bad, and Mila's way is also bad. It felt like the conclusion of the game was going to be that the society built by Alm and Celica together is much better than either would be alone. But instead of that, there's a speech at the end talking about how "the hearts of man" are just as bad as the gods. Alm and Celica seem to have been good rulers, but it's more that they saved the continent from ruin than that they built a great society.

Sucks to be Alm or Celica I guess. I think I still liked the story a lot though, the big ideas ran through it consistently, and while some characters make really boneheaded decisions, they do so in a way that's consistent with the game's themes and their own characterization.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

wocobob posted:

Any advice on Conquest 21? If I bring my whole roster, it feels like I need all of them to hold off the Stoneborn, but my slow units (especially Effie/Arthur paired up) are just barely too slow to escape with the DVs still active, which means they get swarmed/blocked off from the exit, and inevitably die. I read about a cheese strategy (just bring Corrin/Camilla, pair them up, and beeline the exit), but I never trained my Camilla much, so she’s pretty weak (only level 2 promoted), so she can’t take hits from the Stoneborn.

What should I do?

If you have a high tolerance for drudgery, you can take the map as slow as you need to. As your first goal, proceed to the bottom of the mountain, secure the entry point for the enemy reinforcements, and leave a small force there which can consistently take them out in one turn. Then the rest of your army can inch up the hill.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I mean, I would watch a movie starring Hugh Jackman as Marcus

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The thing with Elise is that Birthright's story is so bad that she stands out for being one of the only characters who, like, has desires and motivations and takes actions to bring them to fruition

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

(Echoes) When I saw that scene, I figured Berkut was hallucinating, and none of his deathbed absolution actually happened. I think it reads much better that way, but I don't remember if it's contradicted in the text.

nrook fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 25, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The Awakening characters made no sense in Conquest but that’s just because Conquest made no sense anyway. It’s not like the route would have been well plotted if it weren’t for that drat Inigo. If they had been major parts of the story that would have been lame because it would have stolen the limelight from existing characters, but they weren’t.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Every map should have a time limit, actually. Otherwise, the encouraged strategy is just to sit around and do nothing while the enemy army breaks against your front lines. Even if there was objectives like villages and chests on the map, the objective then becomes securing those important locations (fun), then sitting around (boring).

Defense maps are fun as well, and even rewards for quick victories help a bit. Battle EXP was good for this, though the numbers were a little low. But fewer than a fifth of maps should encourage conservative, inch-by-inch play.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I never cared much about ranking myself, so I can’t speak from personal experience here, but I gather that even if you’re going for an S rank in FE7, Oswin remains a powerful and indispensable unit. Knights can still be good in maps with time pressure; they just need high enough stats to make up for their big weakness.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I didn’t mean to suggest requiring an incredibly aggressive time limit. Something as generous as Chapter 18 in Conquest would be fine. The game just needs something to keep the player moving forward and discourage excessively boring play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Terper posted:

Ah, the Duke's Daughter

We have found our villain

Reborn as a Duke’s Daughter, But I’m Killed By the Crests In Every Ending!?!