Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boy, now all we need is incestchat and we can get into every 'creepy' topic that people nonetheless rush to discuss.

Cake Attack posted:

Yes, yes, I've beaten all those. I need more! (Romhacks):

There's a wide variety of romhacks, ranging from "Fire Emblem: But Harder", to "Fire Emblem: But much, much Harder" .

You forgot FE's very own Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Soren represents my issues the best, as he has almost as while he has had almost no hp growth (25 at level 19 unpromoted) he has also managed to cap Magic, Skill, and Speed.
You're actually pretty blessed there - his average HP at level 19 is 26, but his averages for magic, skill, and speed are 17, 18, 15, respectively.

I'd say that's a pretty fair trade off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, a lot of people reset for characters but the game is entirely beatable without doing that. My brother loves FE but sucks at it - at the end of his FE7 run he had only the lords, Athos, Wallace, Jaffar, Marcus, Harken, Oswin, and Renault alive, and he still beat the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, FE10 is a lot harder of a game than FE13. I'd say Hard Mode would be right for you if you managed to get through Radiant Dawn on any difficulty - the early chapters will be a bit hard, but not any harder than some of the chapters in Radiant Dawn.

The only thing I'd recommend is doing the 'reset if units die' thing in the early going, so you have a full roster of units. Once you start getting an overflow of units, then you can say 'gently caress it.' Or you could just pick casual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

FE in general isn't too hard a series.
Eh, some of the games have their moments. The Dawn Brigade chapters in part 3 of FE13 can be hell if you got unlucky with the character's levels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's a new translation patch for FE6. I haven't played it yet, but the preview images already make it seem like it has some life to it, which is more than you can say for the old FE6 translation patch.

On the other hand, they translated Dieck's name as Deke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I got done playing through Path of Radiance recently, and is Jill's dad the dumbest character in the series? He was really dumb.
I think that'd make Jill the dumbest character in the series, since she's willing to join his side without the 'two decades of being stuck doing awful poo poo to the point that you just sorta roll over' justification that he at least sort of has.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Jill only kills her father because he's like "I don't care if you're mine own flesh and blood I'm going to fight you anyway because whatevs". She's the one who tried to talk him out of being stupid before being forced to have him taste her spear.

At least that's how I remember it going down when I played.
Jill can be recruited by Shiharam to the enemy side if she doesn't have an A support with Mist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Notty posted:

Is there any character more waffley than Jill? In both games she can swap sides like whoa.
Camus?

fafish posted:

gameplay tighter than a virgin's rear end.
How many virgin asses have you experienced, exactly?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Actually before I get to speedrunning I think I'm going to give Radiant Dawn another shot. I haven't played it in, geez, five years and I stopped because I am too much of a wussy baby for normal mode. Or rather, the Dawn Brigade could not handle that chapter near the end of part 1 and I got mercilessly destroyed. I think you have the BK but I didn't wanna use him to solo the chapter...
Use Nolan a decent bit and give him a support with Zihark or Volug. Probably Zihark, since Zihark has better long-term prospects. Earth/Earth supports are absurd.

Don't bother bringing or attempting to use Meg or Fiona unless you're *really* dedicated to it.

You can bring Nailah and have her use Glare instead of actually killing enemies (though some mooks might still suicide on her), that way your other units can take out the statues for easy EXP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dude789 posted:

Didn't you have to beat the game on normal to unlock the extra characters on subsequent playthroughs or am I misremembering?
No, you don't. You have to beat the game once, but it can be on any difficulty. You might be thinking of one of the secret scenes - you have to import FE9 data where Ike and Soren had an A support with each other, and there's a glitch in early US copies of Radiant Dawn where they won't accept FE9 data if it's from an easy mode playthrough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

The only issue with Nino is that she starts at level 5 when all of your other units (besides the main lord) have long been promoted. As long as you can find a way to compensate for the gap in experience she will turn into a very solid unit.
Erk will also turn into a very solid unit, on average, and Pent already is a very solid unit. You don't really need two mages/sages that badly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Average Stats at 20/10 for Erk and Nino:

Erk:

HP: 39
Mag: 17
Skl: 17
Spd: 21
Lck: 11
Def: 10
Res: 18

Nino:

HP: 35
Mag: 20
Sk: 22
Spd: 25
Lck: 10
Def: 10
Res: 22

Total:

Erk has +4 HP, +1 Lck.

Nino has +3 mag, +5 skill, +4 speed, +4 res.

Nino is objectively better but a few points in a few stats doesn't make up for the fact that Erk's around for 95% of the game and Nino's around for 5% of it.

EDIT: Also, Erk's +2 con advantage negates half of Nino's speed advantage a good chunk of the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Erk is also outclassed by every other mage available for the rest of the game. Nino would take like half of 28x to catch up and become better than him if you cared to do so. I get why you might not want to, but that's not the point. Yeah, he's more available but so are units like Dorcas and Wil. Availability doesn't mean much when there's no incentive to use them during that time anyway.
Erk isn't that bad and Nino doesn't otuclass him that much. And Erk is your only magic user of any sort for a good chunk of the game, which makes him at least somewhat useful since he's one of your few ways of dealing with knights that doesn't involve using up the Rapier or Wolf Beil.

And even Dorcas and Wil see some use in Lyn Mode and the very early going of thee main story. They're there, so there's no reason not to use them. Being there and being autodeployed is more useful than not being there. Even if the unit had 0s in all stats, 1 hp, and 4 move, they'd still be able to trade items back and forth.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 17, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

You get Lucius literally one chapter later in the main game
Two chapters, actually, since he's around for the entirety of False Friends. And a chapter before him in Lyn Mode. And Lucius joins fairly late in the chapter after that, so it's more like three and a half.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the chapter after that you can get a Guiding Ring to promote Sera with since she'll probably be at 20 anyway.
Unless you intentionally grinded her I don't see a way Serra can be at level 20. At about 11 exp a turn you'd need to sit around for like 150 turns to get her up to 20.

There's an argument for promoting her early, that said, but even if you do it's not for her offensive prowess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You even get Priscilla in the same chapter as him, and she'll end up a way better anima user than him.
Prissy is worse than him in literally every stat except skill, luck, and res. And she has one point of magic on him, and admittedly she does have a horse. Again though, unless you sit there and grind her up to 20 it'll be a bit before Prissy can promote, and that's a period of time Erk is contributing to combat when Prissy is healing instead. Not to mention most of Prissy's turns will still be spent healing, due to her being your only mounted healer.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Using Wil and Dorcas only happens outside of the map you recruit them in during Eliwood's campaign. Hector has less deployment slots, and if you're doing hard mode there's even less reason to use any of them.

Hector doesn't get a deployment screen until Chapter 14, so that's 3 chapters of glorious Dorcas action. As for Wil, he has the vast majority of Lyn Mode to his name, for whatever that's worth.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 17, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

You not wanting to grind doesn't mean the option isn't there. Ease of use isn't the only thing that matters.
Okay, grinding is an investment of resources, can we at least agree on that? You're devoting experience other units could have gotten solely to raise Nino. You may or may not be giving her the Afa's Drops and a Body Ring as well, and those also could have gone to other units.

If we're willing to invest resources in Nino, then for the sake of comparison, isn't it fair to assume we're willing to invest similar resources in Erk? An Energy Ring and a Speedwing just about catch him up to an equal level Nino, and you can give him those as soon as they're in your inventory rather than waiting 8 or some chapters for her to actually join.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My argument is that Nino is worse than Erk, and therefore it'd be Erk > Nino > Renault instead of Nino > Erk > Renault.

Bongo Bill posted:

Huge numbers are fun. Sorry, losers.
This is, however, the most correct post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

I believe fun is the proper way to play, and I always like having Nino and Jaffar kill things together. It's fun!

Same thing with the trainees. Sure, they're not as good, but I enjoy raising them for the postgame.
These two things aren't mutually exclusive, you realize. I have fun using crappy units too - poo poo, I just had a run of FE9 where I used all my stat boosters on Devdan - but I still enjoy thinking about things objectively and analyzing which characters are the 'best.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pair up whoever the hell you want to and yeah, just have them attached at the hip. For Lissa/Ricken you can have Lissa heal Ricken some, too. Basically doing anything with those two units gives your relationship points - that's what those little hearts are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hard Mode Percival.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Makalov is one of my favorite FE characters, personality-wise.

At least he's usable, unlike poor Bastian, who spends two games as 'like Soren, but poo poo.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pre-generate the RNs so that you can't reset for levels (though I guess you could do levels in different orders), make the amount of bonus EXP needed to level scale more as the unit levels so that it's a lot harder to just dump it all on a unit to make them 20/20?

And dump the FE10 system of 3 guaranteed stats. That was just asking for abuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Weapon forging is really there to serve as a crutch for weaker characters until they get more levels and higher weapon ranks.
And also for the super-hard DLC, so you can forge gigantic Brave Swords and poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Have I boned up my game by picking Magic as the flaw for my main character?
Not at all. I mean, it's a dumb move, but it's not rendered the game literally unbeatable or anything. Your avatar will still wreck poo poo, they just won't be as flexible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artificer posted:

If you want as many powerful children as possible, do you basically get a couple to S rank, then switch them out for other characters when they get to level 15?
The kids won't be that powerful. When units hit level 20, they're capped, but Master Seals and/or Second Seals reset your level to 1. Level 15 is pretty low in the grand scheme of things, since even if you just level them to 20, promote, then level them to 20 again, that's 40 levels, not 20.

That said, the only thing the parent's actual stats/skills effect is, well, the kids' stats and skills, and they can generally get those on their own. More than that, the kids aren't *that* big of a deal, you'll still have their parents around. You can completely ignore the kids and do just fine. Don't play the game trying to 'get as many powerful children as possible,' just pair up who you like and use who you like.

That said, if you want to get all the kids for completionism's sake, you can grind units you aren't using to S Rank on the trial maps. Just buy reeking boxes and use them and you'll summon some risen. Do that on the prologue map and you'll get piss-easy risen that anyone can beat, and if you're on normal you'll always get a small bullion that you can sell for 1k gold, meaning that you actually saw a net profit from the whole affair. You can repeat this over and over to get all the mothers married off, and ta-da, you'll have all the kids.

EDIT: Speaking of, to the guy above, letting Miriel die means that you can't get her kid this run, if that bothers you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artificer posted:

Sorry, I meant the Bonus Teams, Items, Maps, and Challengers. Can none of them be done until after the final chapter opens up then? If not, then is there a point where I should look into doing them all or is there no point at which I will miss out on anything if I leave them for another chapter?
There's nothing *to* miss out on. The Bonus Maps are the one thing, the items are just random equipment that you could get anyway, and the bonus teams are just completely generic units from past FE games. A neat little nod, but they have no dialogue or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex Beef 2.0 posted:

Fire Emblem: Awakening is a pretty poorly written game even by the standards of video game writing

EDIT: Even by your normal Fire Emblem I'd say
Eh。 The plot goes off the rails pretty quickly, but I like the supports, and there's a lot of them. I think a lot of this stuff comes down to the developers kind of being on a time/money budget.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You'd think they'd redress this in the scramble DLC, it'd be the perfect time to give a nod to Tiki marrying the avatar of her exact opposite or whatever weirdness eugenics have put Morgan through. But nope, gotta get those bathing suit/kimono scenes in.
That Tiki conversation would be something literally 0.1% Of players would see.

what I wanna know is how exactly do Taguel work? Since Human + taguel results in a taguel, and human +half-Taguel also results in a Taguel, how far down does this rabbit hole go? The Taguel are a nod to Laguz, but in FE9/10 a Laguz+HUman couple produced A kid that had traits of both.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 19, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

The problem with the supports is that most of them just aren't that compelling because of how little the cast is integrated into the main plot, how barebones and half-assed the world-building is, and because of how the marriage mechanics and the free-form anytime, anywhere no-restrictions gently caress with the basic writing. This all leads to the writers relying on each character's stupid personality quirk as a crutch for padding things out which only worsens matters.

I'd definitely go with FE9's format as the best current solution.
FE9 has just as many characters who are 'one quirk and nothing else' as FE13, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, FE9 at least gave some of the non plot critical characters a decent amount of characterization in the 'main' story. Most of the Greil Mercs get a decent amount of spotlight in the early going, and Jill gets some focus while you're in Daein.

EDIT: Also turn off combat animations and turn on the skip enemy actions buttons if you want to grind supports quickly. It'll take you like six minutes tops to go from zero to S. Just make sure your characters are strong enough that the enemies pose literally no threat to them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, most characters in other FE games get a beat or two that isn't their quirk as well. FE13 has more supports and ergo the characters have more chances to try and be three dimensional, but even Ilyana in FE9/10 has her battle dialogues with Micaiah and Zihark.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

No Mounted Units
Never play FE9 then.

But nah. Heck, certain characters do much better in classes besides their default, like Draug in being an amazing Dark Mage. At least, he was in FE11, iunno if he still is in FE12.

For the record, your unit limits are based on how many units you have with that as their 'default' class, +1. So for instance you can only have one mage until you get a unit who actually started as a mage, then you can have 2, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Also, I don't get the complaints about FEA have bad writing.
Validar is literally the most boring villain I've ever seen in a video game. If a villain isn't going to have any sort of depth to them, at least let them be entertaining in their generic evil-ness. Validar doesn't even accomplish that. He completely drags the last third of the game down with him. I'd take Sturm from freaking Advance Wars over him - at least Sturm had a cool theme.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 20, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention Birdo isn't even really the main villain of the game, even if he's the last boss. The main villain is Reidrick, who isn't exactly lighting the screen on fire either, but at least he *does* stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Scramble Packs are fine. The maps are super-easy and there's no spoilers for anything, and you can play it as soon as you buy it.

Heck, you could play the future past maps right now too. The problem isn't plot or whatever, the problem is that the future past maps are harder than the final chapter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Generally you want two healers in an FE game - a main one, and one to pinch heal when things get hectic. In most cases you want to raise somebody who starts as a healer (Lissa, Maribelle) and keep them as a general staff-user, and then someone like Miriel or Ricken (or Gaius if you promote him to Trickster, or Sumia or Cordelia if you promote them to Falcoknight) can act as a pinch healer.

That said, so long as they can use staves, anyone can accomplish either role. And Miriel can't be reclasses to Cleric for Healtouch, so there's no real way to make her any better than she is at healing besides plain levels, same as anyone else.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, that'd take tons of grinding. If you don't have anyone else capable of healing, Laurent (Miriel's kid) starts as a mage, so you could grab him and promote him to sage? Likewise, Brady (Maribelle's kid) starts as a priest.

You could also just buy vulneraries if lack of healing is really a problem for you, or take advantage of the fact that switching is a semi-free action (you can move, switch, then attack, at least if I remember right, so you could switch someone who's weakened out for the fresh back half of the pair-up.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artificer posted:

Another question: should I start giving my units steel weapons as standard issue? Or silver? I've stayed with iron thus far...
Definitely. Once you get past the early game, you should be using steel like candy and using Silver or other special weapons for most threatening enemies. Iron should only be used if you can kill an enemy with it and aren't likely to be attacked during the enemy's turn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, being in War Cleric increases both her base strength and her strength growth, so it should at least be passable.

And seriously, gently caress 'preserving resources.' You should have plenty of gold, and you buy tons of strong weapons in this game for cheap. Spend all the gold you have on better equipment for your army. Make sure every axe or spear user in your army has a Hand Axe or Javelin as well, since those can be fairly useful and they're cheap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, what do you expect when an archer is attacking a peg knight in the early game?

Not to mention you can just pair up Frederick and Sumia and she'll get like 5 defense out of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dubious posted:

So FE:Awakening is my first game in this series. I love it but constantly feel strapped for money about 5 hours in. Is this what to expect or is there a point I can grind for it?
Generally, the way gold works in FE games is that you have way too little of it in the early going and way too much of it in the later game. Make sure you're selling bullions (and maybe vulneraries/elixirs, unless you're the type of person to use them), and if you have him make sure Gaius is opening every chest you come across.