Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Didn't you have to beat the game on normal to unlock the extra characters on subsequent playthroughs or am I misremembering? I'm glad you're giving the game another shot. Radiant Dawn is probably my favorite in the series because I love the way it integrates the plot and the gameplay (3-E is a great example of this). Also 2-E is probably my favorite map in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Endorph posted:

Average Stats at 20/10 for Erk and Nino:

Erk:

HP: 39
Mag: 17
Skl: 17
Spd: 21
Lck: 11
Def: 10
Res: 18

Nino:

HP: 35
Mag: 20
Sk: 22
Spd: 25
Lck: 10
Def: 10
Res: 22

Total:

Erk has +4 HP, +1 Lck.

Nino has +3 mag, +5 skill, +4 speed, +4 res.

Nino is objectively better but a few points in a few stats doesn't make up for the fact that Erk's around for 95% of the game and Nino's around for 5% of it.

EDIT: Also, Erk's +2 con advantage negates half of Nino's speed advantage a good chunk of the time.

Nino's starting Luck is 10, her average Luck on 20/10 is 21. Also I find that once you reach a certain stat threshold whether due to a combination of Speed and Luck or strong defenses in FE7 it becomes almost impossible for most average enemies to kill you. Nino usually hits this threshold, Erk does not. You can send Nino up to fight one of the three huge waves of reinforcements in Victory or Death by herself and she will typically come out alive. You can't do the same with Erk. His evade just isn't high enough.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Also, the stat caps probably boost Rolf from a unit who is ridiculous with a modicum of effort to a unit who is almost instantly ridiculous.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Wind God Sety posted:

He's still just a worst Shinon, and do you really want two Snipers when you have so many other good units with the Greil Mercenaries?

He ends up way better than Shinon and Snipers are awesome in RD so you're not hurting yourself by using both.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 28, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Wind God Sety posted:

Except Rolf starts slower, even with transfer bonuses (ignoring the fact that he's trash in FE9, and going by averages, he's probably getting Str/Skl/Spd boosts, which is just as doable for Shinon), and has more levels to gain, so he takes longer to get to the level where he's beating Shinon just on averages. Not to mention that due to the way BEXP works in FE10, Rolf doesn't actually end up way better, if any better at all. I dunno where the idea that Snipers are awesome comes from either. Sure, they're better than in most other games in the series, but they still don't have strong 1 range (crossbows kinda suck for the time you get them) until part way through Endgame-1, and they only get 3 range in tier three. I'm not even sure that 3 range is that good since by the time you're tier three, you're kind of wrecking everything and not taking much damage in return, so the benefits of avoiding counterattacks is questionable.

You're seriously underestimating how good the range is especially since Marksmen are one of the most offensively powerful unit types in the game and it lets them avoid nasty counters from enemies like the dragons that are bulky enough to take a hit and dish out a big one in return. Unlike Nino leveling up Rolf doesn't detract from your other units at all. The first map gives him stat independent ballistas to pick off units weakened by the laguz army and he'll be completely caught up within 2-3 levels. Using multiple archers also doesn't hurt you that much since you can split them up in Part 4 and Part 3 generally gives you enough enemies to keep all the units on your army busy.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
So, I've been doing a playthrough of Radiant Dawn with characters who are considered substandard and if you were ever wondering whether Meg or Fiona was worse, I have discovered the answer. Fiona is worse and it's not even close. Meg's starting stats aren't great compared to your other units but for a level 3 unit they're pretty solid. Give her a bonus EXP level with speed before her first map and she can be a decent wall against the cats. After a few levels, she absolutely destroys mages with her great Res stat.. Fiona on the other hand just gets destroyed by everything. She can either pick between doing 0 damage and getting 2HKOed or doing some small amount of damage and getting doubled and OHKOed on the counter.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Wind God Sety posted:

Fiona's other problem is that literally every map she's in until Endgame fucks with her movement. They're either indoors with ledges, filled with bushes, or in swampy areas, so her horse, which should be an advantage, ends up being an active detriment for her for almost all of her chapters.

I honestly have no idea why they made Fiona start at level 9 with those bases. Most people consider Meg a terrible unit and she starts with bases that are comparable to Fiona's bases while joining 4 maps earlier and 6 levels lower. I've managed to get Fiona caught up with some of my other units in terms of levels, but she's still pretty bad because her bases are so bad and I've had some bad luck with her skill level ups.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Also if Micaiah gets competitive speed gains then she quickly becomes a very good unit outside of her more specialized uses. I think her biggest problem is that her magic and res caps for the second tier are too high. If they were lowered a tad then she could bonus exp her speed up in a hurry.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The tutorial forces you to move Wil to shoot at a guy behind a wall and then have Florina fly over the wall and hit him. Any way around this :shrug:

Yeah you need to play it on Hard Mode or else it becomes exceedingly unlikely you'll get past the tutorial prompts. I think even in hard mode you might need to roll a thief at some point? The game gives you a free door key in the Rath/Matthew chapter but I think you need two of them so someone has to be able to pick locks.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

FPzero posted:

Seems like the next version of the randomizer really needs to make the fix patch move the three Lord's bases from their classes to their character entries. That's how they are right now and that's why they are all horrible. Then again if you do that any other character that gets randomized into a lord class would be terrible so I don't know what the true answer should be.

The fix patch does this. I got a Wyvern Knight Eliwood and he is destroying everything. The other two lords are cavalier Lyn and Lyn Hector and they're solid but not exceptional. In my playthrough I'm just about to join back up with Lyn in Eliwood's story. It's interesting since the only healer I have is Wallace but I have so many ranged attacks that I'm doing all right. Does anyone know what item you use to promote the Sellswords and Corsairs. Serra is destroying worlds right now as a Corsair and I'd like to make her a mainstay on the team.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I had a good amount of fun with the Fe7 randomizer, but I haven't been able to find an updated version. I was interested in starting an FE8 play-through so is there a randomizer that works with fe8?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
UP to Chapter 9 so I figured I'd post my impressions of it so far. It's really good! As others have stated it really captures the feel of the GBA FE games. I encountered the issue in chapter 9 with the thief guy that Vaxan encountered. It might just be better to have him be an enemy unit so he can't be rescued or just give him really high con so that none of the characters can rescue him.

As far as other tweaks, I think it might not be a terrible idea to tweak Cedric a tad because right now, effective weaponry is really the only non agonizing way to deal with him due to the defenses and evasion provided from the throne. Some bad luck with levels could also leave you with very few characters who can wield those weapons without getting one rounded.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Artix posted:

I apologize if that comes off as a big "git gud" post, but you have at least two or three units that can take him with minimal issues, and that's before you include any units that got RNG-blessed in your run. That said, his numbers were done before we remembered that thrones give +5 Res so we're probably going to drop his Res by 3 or so and maybe chop a point of Def, we'll see how it shakes out.

That would help. I think the throne bonus is really what tips him over the edge. Most of your accurate ranged units are going to be doing terrible damage and his avoid is high enough that my hit percentages with my two axe users was around 60% when he was using the short spear (to be fair I think my Judith got very skill screwed). I think the unit who got most blessed for me in my run was Rose, but the throne bonus meant that she was still doing damage in the lower single digits.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Gatrie's not that much better than Brom. Gatrie has slightly better growth rates but Brom will end up with higher speed on average because of his higher base. The difference between the two isn't that significant so just go with who gets luckier with their first few levels.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

mabels big day posted:

From what I remember Brom is a fat gently caress and I never used him, but Nephenee rules, as does Gatrie. What is a seige tome? I don't remember.

Also yeah, I know Ike is loving amazing in this game, and you have to give him that special skill item to give him Aether as well.

Siege tomes are long range magic like Bolting.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It is kinda funny seeing the way all of the characters change from Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn. Rolf and Shinon go from being pretty bad to completely amazing whereas almost all of the cavaliers get a lot worse (especially Astrid).

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Haar is the best until you promote Rolf because holy poo poo marksman Rolf is disgusting. I guess Ike could compete with Haar for total game use because he doesn't slip towards the end.

Regy Rusty posted:

I like archers
:hfive:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Momomo posted:

That's only true if you're thinking plain old endgame stats and nothing else. In actual practice, characters like Marcus are some of your most useful because they're around when your guys are still weak.

Yeah, it's just something fun to think about. I like to think about who the worst unit is rather than the best though. Like Wendy, can you say a drat good thing about Wendy? She's comically bad against like, everything.

Ehh, Marcus starts to slip pretty quickly behind the better units in 7 and the other cavaliers are very tepid stat wise. I'd say that someone like Hector or Oswin is probably the best in FE7 (Florina is also very good.)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

cheetah7071 posted:

Raising Nino is the most boring, tedious poo poo ever.

This statement is not going to be true as long as Fiona exists.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 7, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The Shortest Path posted:

FE9. I mentioned it earlier in the thread and wrongly assumed people would have read it, my bad. I played the poo poo out of FE10 and know she's good there solely because of her availability.

I guess I'll just bench her for Soren, then. Her support options seemed somewhat useful so I figured I'd try her again, but alas.

Illyana is better in FE9. FE10 is pretty harsh to mages, and aside from getting some nice effective damage late game, her stats are below average and her availability is largely cancelled out by her level disadvantage compared to the Greil mercenaries.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
FE10's plot might have some dumb parts, but I still love it for its plot and gameplay integration. The last two chapters of part 3 are pretty awesome about that. In the second to last chapter you finally start to make progress and turn the tide of the fight. Then the rest of the Greil Mercenaries show up and it's time to pull the gently caress back real fast. The heartbeat and death counter for 3-E is also really cool especially with all of the little cutscenes of people freaking out.

Then there's 2-E which is awesome for how it turns Elincia into a meek inexperienced queen into a terror of the skies who isn't taking any of Ludveck's poo poo.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Bongo Bill posted:

It can be fun to try to use every single character you get that's of a certain class, even if they turn out bad. Like, in Radiant Dawn, going into endgame with Soren, Ilyana, Tormod, Calill, Bastian, and Sanaki, or maybe with Edward, Zihark, Mia, Lucia, and Stefan. If you're kind of unsure about the concept, you can try it with Fiona, Kieran, Geoffrey, Astrid, Makalov, Oscar, Titania, and Renning. (Actually I'm not sure if you have that many free slots for endgame but you get the idea.) A problem is that you run out of legendary weapons, but having to work around the limitations that homogeneity creates is the basis of a good challenge run.

The weapon limitation probably isn't that bad for the mages. Sanaki definitely wants Cymbeline, and you can give one of the fire or wind sages Bolting.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I just discovered that the most shameful thing to do in a Fire Emblem game is attacking one of Ashera's Auras for 23 damage when the attacking unit only has 10 hp. Oops..

:ughh:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
^^^^
Leonardo's biggest advantage is the Lughnasadh bow he gets in part 3. Without that there's no reason to use him over Rolf or Shinon who are almost guaranteed to become disgustingly overpowered.

Volt Catfish posted:

Speaking of, the last chapter you use the Dawn Brigade is is Really loving Hard. I dunno, it felt the first few times I tried it, that it would be seriously impossible to progress. That is, unless I just abused the black knight being there as much as possible. Ultimately I didn't, but still.

Now you're all gonna tell me that chapter is actually pretty easy and I'm just bad, right? (I wouldn't be surprised). I was on Hard, though.

No that chapter is really hard, and pretty much any unit who's not already a tier two class is going to be in constant peril.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Rolf and Shinon are both disgustingly strong in Radiant Dawn and both should be used.

Astrid and Leonardo are both really bad though.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 22, 2015

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Cake Attack posted:

i just like RD elincia a lot, and it has elincia's gambit which is top 5 map in the series material

True, it's between that and Battle Before Dawn from FE7 for which is my favorite. FE10 in general was really good at defend maps and Elincia's Gambit was the best of them.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Just make two saves right before the path split that way you don't have to play anything twice.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SA2K posted:

As someone who has played Radiant Dawn and absolutely loved it, would I like Path or Radiance or would it be like playing Lufia 1 after Lufia 2

You'll probably like it. The difficulty is closer to the GBA games and the plot is more consistent, but RD had the better overall map design and skill system.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I've been doing a challenge run of Radiant Dawn where I use the units who are generally considered bad (so about half of the dawn brigade).

I know Meg gets a lot of poo poo but Fiona is so much worse. Meg comes underleveled with decent growths and solid starting stats for her level (but below average relative to the rest of the team.) Fiona however comes with underleveled with great growths but with garbage stats for her level. Fiona surpasses Meg late game in part because Silver Knight is better than Sword Marshall, but Fiona is just terrible until about halfway through the second tier when her skill catches up to give her non awful hit rates.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Today I learned that in Radiant Dawn you can trigger Cancel on Doors.

Way to go Leonardo.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Florina's strength growth is okay. It's not terrible but 40% is even with Rebecca and Lyn, who are both very capable of getting screwed over by their strength growths.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Even if they were cheering for him, he's still turning his back on them. Everyone in that shot is facing the wrong way.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Nages posted:

Dragon Knights are better then Pegasus Knights
It depends on the game.

alcharagia posted:

micaiah is a bad unit

Micaiah is a good unit in a bad situation.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One option I wish the randomizer had was an option to keep the first thief unchanged. You can always just play the chapter using an unrandomized file, but that means that you miss out on randomizing any other characters that join in that chapter. Also I believe it makes at least a few chapters un-winnable. The major one I remember was the chapter where you get Matthew in Lyn's tale. I think you end up short one door key.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Endorph posted:

i am doing an lp of fe6 and its gonna be great and im gonna use noah

Great! I will probably read all of it!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

FoolyCharged posted:

I hated radiant dawn's endgame. By the time you hit Ashera you've grown sick of a boss rush where none of your units are allowed to play and use those skills you gave them. And like 90% of them can't survive a single round with the boss sans nihil. So it's just rubbing your stat stick against an enemy. And then you get to Ashera, which takes these problems from the previous bosses and adds a fuckton of team wide damage attacks that you have to negate by trial and error/looking it up/omniscience. If the game didn't lead up to her with a dozen boss fights in a row, and actually gave you some reasonable way to predict her pattern in game she would probably be the best FE boss though, low bar that that is.

The only other boss aside from Ashera where you have to be really selective with your units is Dheginsea. Corona is easily survivable on your higher hp units. Also, while Ashera's damage waves and long range attacks are dangerous the game prepares you for them ahead of time in the Dheginsea and Sephiran fights which use less dangerous versions of the attacks so you can learn how they work.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The dragon map in Radiant Dawn is really fun too because all the dragons do huge amounts of damage so you have to be careful but at that point you just got your weapons enchanted so you can use fun things like infinite use Bolting tomes.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

dmboogie posted:

Ahahaha, oh god, I just got to the part in Radiant Dawn, Part 3, where you get the Dawn Brigade again. After having it easy with Elinca and Ike's crew so long, I forgot how much these chucklefucks sucked. Fiona, Meg, and Laura all got benched after recruitment, and Jill has 13 strength after promotion. Even though I've been trying to raise Leonardo, he's, well... Leonardo. Micaiah, Zihark, Aran, and Edward are really my only units worth a drat.

I also love how your first map with them is a swamp level with fog of war, because of course it is.

The Swamp part is pretty helpful since the Dawn Brigade is all about abusing their strong weaponry at range with stuff like Thani, Lughnasadh, and the Tomahawk. It's a rough chapter but feel free to abuse your new and lagus effective weapons.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm watching the treehouse video for #FE. I don't know if mortal man was meant to handle this much anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

WrightOfWay posted:

Franz is basically Seth (with worse weapon ranks) after about 15 levels and he has pretty solid bases so it's not hard to get him experience. If you are heavily using Seth Franz can't get the XP to get going but playing without Seth he is probably the best unit in the game.

Franz's stats are so mediocre so even with Cavalier utility there's like 5 or so units better than him.