Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

Go Frederick Emblem. And then Robin and Chrom Pair Up Emblem. Lunatic is sadly not very funny if you want to deviate from that.

So it's not very fun then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Unrelated but Hector is the worst Lord in FE7 because he's too drat big to be Rescued by almost every mounted unit after he promotes and only has 5 movement. I'm pretty sure the only promoted units that can Rescue him are Rath and Florina. It sucks that his promotion is forced on Hector Mode.

Forced promotions in general are pretty awful. It's kind of funny how Eliwood doesn't care as much about his poo poo promotion time since he's not that great anyway and you're just feeding him kills because he's force-deployed on every map.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Artix posted:

Hmm... One of these images isn't like the other. Great job, Serenes! :downs:

(That's from my FE7 LP on the archive)

Was it seriously that hard to just take a screencap of FE7's first chapter themselves? And am I understanding that right, and Kent and Sain were nerfed in the localization? Or is it just that the Cavalier bases themselves were higher in the Japanese version?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Moving on, have you tried the game with Roy yet?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well, Erk is the worst Mage/Sage in that game. He might actually be the worst non-Renault magician period, now that I think about it.

Nino's way worse than Erk though?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can use literally anyone in every game, but that makes for a really boring and dismissive argument.

You not wanting to grind doesn't mean the option isn't there. Ease of use isn't the only thing that matters.

It doesn't matter that much, but it's honestly the best way to argue whether a unit is worthwhile. I like Donnel a character, so I take the time to build him up, but objectively you'd probably be better served reclassing someone who's already good out of the gate into a better class, like Chrom into a cavalier or Miriel into a dark mage. By the same standard, Nino needs to be babied and even that doesn't fix her being weighed down by most tomes, or Pent having a stave rank she'll never get.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Momomo posted:

I don't see the point in comparing the two at 20/10, because they're never going to be anywhere close to the same level unless you baby Nino for no reason. In actual practice, Nino is entirely pointless and Erk actually has some kind of purpose.

To be fair, she is kind of a nice callback to Lugh/Raigh from FE6. So she's not completely pointless. :v:

Terper posted:

In actual actual practice, no one cares about either of them.

:syoon:

Pre-premotes are objectively awful, especially the good ones. Yeah, lemme just replace this dude I've been using since Chapter 5 in Lyn Mode with some dude who comes with with all the work done for me. :rolleyes:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It works how it does. You shouldn't think too hard about it because Intelligent Systems sure isn't, and you'll just run into contradictions like Roy and Avatar/Nah Morgan.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

neongrey posted:

Certainly but a) even avoiding that the game doesn't truck much with scarcity (shop contents, sparkle squares, etc) and b) if you have to actively ignore game features in order to get an extant difficulty curve, that doesn't say much for that part of the game's design.

I dunno, it's not like Final Fantasy Tactics where the game made you do random encounters on your way through the main campaign. I agree that some of the buyable shop items are pretty ridiculous like buyable Master Seals and Brave weapons, but random encounters are perfectly avoidable, and the game even tries to discourage you from using them on Hard by making Reeking Boxes so expensive.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm attempting to get through Binding Blade again at the moment. It's hard to deal with the fact that Roy and (almost) everyone else sucks sometimes :sigh:

At least you're not on Hard. :shepicide: And the game gets easier once enemies upgrade to Steel weapons, since enemies become slower/less accurate to some degree and you start getting the rest of the good units like Shin and Gonzales.

Onmi posted:

FE6 has plenty of powerful, useful units. Not the games fault you've been spoiled by hand holding.

I don't think he's seriously complaining.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

I call you hand holded because you have been. You've been taught to play games where the enemies are ridiculously pathetic and the player units are all greek gods oiled up for the pillaging. If you can handle Hector Hard you can handle FE6 hard so I find it hilarious that's your "gently caress you" point. Because with the outlier chapters of 11A and 14, Hard Mode is not that much worse than normal, especially since your EXP isn't reduced. And this isn't your fault you've been handheld because the majority of FE games past 6 have been kind of really easy to the point of auto-pilot.

I guess it's just my experience, because FE6 already had pretty decent enemies relative to your own units and was pretty smart about stuff like giving weaker units like archers higher levels and soldiers steel lances early, which makes the stat boosts on top of that pretty brutal. I'm only up to 13x on Hector Hard Mode, but it's not outright brutal like FE6 Hard was.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

Less so when you can count the competent pre promote on one hand, and by competent, I mean usable in one thing, maybe, and the low level units that the game dumps pretty late on your lap. And the fact lower growth means it's much easier to rack a streak of bad levels. Awakening might have been going to far in a direction, but gently caress forever the FE1/2/3/6 school of low growths.

Do low growth rates matter if they're still better than the enemies though? As far as I can tell, the enemy growth rates between FE6 and 8 are the same despite the gradual power creep on your own units, which seems like a bad thing to me. Your own units are already well better equipped and have the advantage of an AI that doesn't make short-sighted designs, do you really need monsters like Sain, Hector and Raven that can just brute-force everything too?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno, I personally had a pretty easy time going back to FE6-8 for the first time in years after Awakening. Highlighting enemy ranges is nice and all, but I always have to end up double-checking them manually because even if you know you're in the ranges of enemies, you don't know what specific enemies you're in range of, so you have to check to make sure your pegasus knight isn't in the range of archers or ballisa and stuff like that. Just about the only things I miss are knowing how much range a siege tome boss has without manually checking and fusing weapon uses together.

Edit: ^^^

Manatee Cannon posted:

Going back to Shadow Dragon would be painful in other ways though. One thing I'll forever miss going back in the series is unequiping weapons. So much easier than shuffling equipment around to avoid killing recruitable enemies.

Oh God I forgot this one. Recruiting Douglas would have been so much easier if you could have just planted Miledy next to him and unequipped her.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 23, 2014

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lotish posted:

This is a great idea. Except it's a chest you have to open, and a troupe of four thieves all jump out and dash for the other treasures on the NPC phase. They introduce themselves like the Mad Midget Five from Godhand or something, and when you beat them up they run away and become the recurring comedy relief later. If you can find and recruit their youngest, newest member, you can recruit the rest into the force as well. Why would you want four thieves? Because when you recruit them everything they stole earlier becomes yours now, and they have a special pilfer critical where if you can set them all up in a diamond formation (like a triangle attack +1), you can steal the target's entire inventory, including equipped weapons.

This sounds great, except that they should be different kinds of Manaketes. It'll be like playing FE6 all over again!

(I still can't believe they actually did that without even any loving hints.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FPzero posted:

This is the list of documented AI settings:
code:
#ifdef _FE7_
#define NoAI 			[0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00]
#define PursueWithoutHeed 	[0x00,0x02,0x02,0x00]
#define GuardTile 		[0x03,0x03,0x09,0x20]
#define Guard 			[0x00,0x03,0x00,0x20]
#define AttackInRange 		[0x00,0x03,0x09,0x00]
#define DestroyVillages 	[0x00,0x04,0x01,0x00]
#define HealUnits 		[0x0F,0x04,0x00,0x00]
#define StealFromUnits 		[0x10,0x05,0x09,0x00]
#define StealFromChests 	[0x06,0x05,0x09,0x00]
#define TalkToLord 		[0x06,0x0B,0x0A,0x00]
#define AttackWall 		[0x00,0x1B,0x01,0x00]
#define SeizeThrone 		[0x00,0x1E,0x00,0x00]
#define DestroyVillageIgnore	[0x06,0x05,0x01,0x00]
#define DoNothing		[0x06,0x03,0x0A,0x00]
#endif
DestroyVillageIgnore and DoNothing were both defined by us after discovering them in FE6's disassembled chapter events so that means that when we started this thing we only had a dozen known AI settings. Each byte causes the AI to act differently but there's no documentation anywhere on what each one does. The best we know is that thread SC mentioned, where someone tested a bunch of settings and took an educated guess that the first byte relates to Attacking, the second to Movement, the third to Recovery and the fourth to standing your ground. None of this comes with any guarantee. Earlier, Artix was attempting to brute force a solution based on guesses we took using the HealUnits setting, but we didn't get very far.

We keep wishing that more of this stuff was documented but for as much as Serene's Forest has, we realize there's so much they don't have or simply don't share publicly. If nothing else, when we do figure out previously unknown information, we've been sharing it with other good romhackers.

We'll keep trying to get Dancer AI to work but there's a very good chance that it simply is not coded into the game in any way.

Wait, so brigands ignoring villages if there's a player unit in range is a deliberate thing coded in and not just typical Fire Emblem AI shortsightedness? That's nice of IS if so.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FPzero posted:

Correct. We discovered this AI setting still existed when we realized FE6 had thieves that ignored the player completely to accomplish their goals. So we took a look at the chapters where that happened, copied the AI setting for those thieves into our FE7 events and found that we can now have enemies that completely ignore the player and focus entirely on attacking villages. The same might be true of stealing from chests but we haven't tried it yet.

Don't thieves already ignore the player unless they're in the way or have something to steal though?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

but yeah FEditor sucks, and Serenes are lazy fucks.

So...not trolling or anything, but why aren't you hacking FE7 for Binding Blade? I think you mentioned it a while back, but I forget the specifics.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So, FE6 Hard is weird. It starts off being a really good challenge, since it's hard but not like Awakening Lunatic where the enemies are just super-strong to the point where your units can't deal with them at all without Fredrick, but eventually the added waves of enemy reinforcements Hard loves to throw at you just plain makes you stronger than you would be in Normal, and FE6's hard mode stat bonuses getting better as the game goes on means that every enemy-turned ally recruit except Rutger ends up stupidly strong on top of mostly being good units anyway.

Also, Michiah and Leif have a lot to live up to if they're gonna be as awful as Hard Mode Roy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Artix posted:

I'm really not. I mean, let's look at Hector since you brought him up. For starters, he's basically a knight that uses axes. That makes him dangerously vulnerable to getting speed-screwed and even after he promotes, he's going to be stuck with 5 movement, meaning that he's going to lag behind your entire army. Also, assuming that he sees regular use, you're probably looking at L20 somewhere around Dragon's Gate or New Resolve. That gives you a minimum of 4 chapters before he can promote (assuming he gets the first Heaven Seal in Unfulfilled Heart), or possibly up to 8 if you're playing Hector Mode. 8 chapters, especially that stretch of 8 chapters, is a long time to have someone be taking up a deployment slot and not be able to meaningfully contribute.

Micaiah? She can coast on Thani until she promotes, then staffbot until the end of the game. Even when she's not gaining experience, she's amazingly useful. Sigurd starts promoted (and Seliph is similar, due to FE4 promotion mechanics), so you can use him to your heart's content and never have to worry about ramming the unpromoted level cap. Chrom and Lucina can Second Seal their way around the classes and can literally never hit a level cap. Ike actually promotes at a reasonable time so he's very rarely wasting experience. None of these guys have even half the problems that someone like Hector, Eirika, Ephraim, or *god forbid* Roy does.

To be honest, having a unit that's dead weight because he's too good and rams the level cap kind of seems like a minor inconvenience IMO, as opposed to the Lords like Eirika who are just mediocre myrmidons with a rapier until promotion. Blazing Sword enemies are pretty weak on the whole, so it's not like you're really hurting for those deployment slots unless you're on Hector Hard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Because the chapters you'll find by the time he's hit 20 are all when the game is throwing promoted units and gimmicks at you? I guess you could use Hector in the desert chapter if you really hate yourself. Or the gaiden chapter of it, him doing anything but baiting Sleep/Berserk is a really bad idea. There's just no reason to ever use him and he's not the same as a Jeigan because he won't be as strong as your promoted units, of which you will have more than not long before he gets to promote.

It's been a bit since I've played Blazing Sword, but I remember the enemies all being pretty awful aside from Hector Hard Mode. Like, there are one or two dangerous spots like that one valkyrie ruining your day with Bolting in Battle Before Dawn or Night of Farewells if you're trying to do everything, but most enemies just kind of run into the player and die horribly on the enemy phase.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

Okay, to phrase it better: Making a FE style game really difficult can be tricky, because it's easy to fall in the trap of either making it fairly luck reliant, especially in the first few chapters, or really hard if you don't do it the one intended way. Most of the games manage to stay clear of that, but sometimes you get RD Maniac and Awakening Lunatic.

Also, part of the problem with difficulty in Fire Emblem is that it's possible for the player to screw up long-term in most of the games by losing units, promotion items, and even helpful stuff like the effective weapons they give you before a map of cavaliers, and even just get screwed because of obtuse mechanics like treasure in desert maps and secret shops. The Hard modes help with this, since you can just make Normal the Easy mode for newcomers, but I doubt they usually have a lot of time to dedicate to those besides a simple stat/equipment boost like Awakening.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

alcharagia posted:

...As it turns out, this rom happens to be the one I used to play the Awful Emblem Proof of Concept map.

Whoops.

Edit: Some comical save futzing around later, I've gotten back to the regular game with no Awful Emblem in sight. Phew. New friends! I've got Eliwood the jesus christ, this guy is my Lord?:

I don't see a difference. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I've just started Genealogy of the Holy War, so there's probably something I'm not understanding. Because Iron Axes can't be a static -18 speed to the wielder. Also, is there a checklist of important things to remember somewhere?

In other news, finished FE6 Hard. It's a pretty good difficulty in that I felt pressured to use all the mechanics available to me, while not feeling like the enemy boosts are unreasonably hard, but kind of levels off hard between 6's terrible weapon accuracy being extremely exploitable, a lot of good units getting Hard mode bonuses, and the drastically increased enemy reinforcement waves making you promote sooner.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Alrighty, is there anything to keep in mind about the game in general then? Like pairings? Is there anything that can get me something dumb like a mage kid with 10% magic and 50% strength or something?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

You don't want to play FE6 hard mode unless you *really* want a challenge, and you're okay with support grinding. It's alright once you get to the backhalf of the game but the early-going and a few middle chapters are torture.

I dunno if I'd go nearly that far, since the enemies are only really overwhelming until Chapter 5, where the endless stream of easily handled reinforcements leaves you way higher leveled than you'd be on Normal and almost restores the status quo. Rebellion in Ostia was the last really hard chapter for me, and that's mostly because of the huge dick move of adding another wyrven rider directly above Treck and Zealot.

Also, I'm on Chapter 2 of Genealogy. This game is really cool and ambitious, even if some stuff obviously doesn't quite work out, and there are some glaring problems like every non-Pursuit "attack twice" skill being kind of lame.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So for Geneology of the Holy War, is there any reason not to sell most of Cuan and Ethilin's equipment before I finish Chapter 3? I'm guessing Leaf and Altenna eventually inherit their parents' weapons, and that inheritance is reversed, so Leaf gets Ethilin's swords and Altenna gets Cuan's lances, so I can at least sell the Heal staff so Claude can use it, right?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JTDistortion posted:

Of course, it's not like I'll ever get to use that. Joshua is my only dark mage so far, and he has a bit of an issue.

3 CON. 3 loving con. Flux has a weight of 8. Gleipnir has 20.

I thought the randomizer didn't mess with unit bases. Joshua doens't have any negative Con modifiers, so how'd that happen?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well, drat. It's kind of hilarious how bad IS shits on every female unit with Con.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doubleposting to ask if there's a translation available for the configuration menu of Tharcia 776, since everything besides the story script is yrmnja;uoigwcing. Is Tharcia really that hard to patch, or is everyone just cool with not knowing what half the stuff means?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

Last time someone wanted to fix the translation, all of serenes dogpiled them, so no. The SNES is also generally harder to patch, I believe.

This is pretty weird, considering most of the posters seemed pretty reasonable from what I saw of the new FE6 translation thread, and that has name changes and needed a new patch less than Tharcia does. I'd honestly expect the entire community to be making GBS threads on the old Tharcia 776 patch.

Endorph posted:

It's pretty simple to do, for the most part. You don't need tech know-how, it's like a two-step process. Only the SNES patches are finicky.

Like for FE6 it's just get translation patch, get rom, get visualboy advance, make sure patch and rom are named the same thing, run FE6 rom.

Also this. Visual Boy Advance is pretty much idiot-proof, as another guy who's also terrible with technical stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think I've ever had a problem using any bow user with good bases/growths like Jamke or Shin, and having strong, accurate ranged damage was enough of an asset that I found them more useful than mediocre physical units with throwing weapons, or mages that have the durability of wet tissue paper. Maybe the problems that Archers are the primary bow-wielding class and pretty terrible at anything other than chip damage with their garbage bases and mediocore growths, because bows instantly become a lot better when setting up ranged counterkills on the enemy phase is a good strategy. :shrug:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So, in Tharcia 776, when I get an item from a chest after my inventory's full, what does the message say? Am I discarding the item I choose, or is Tharica giving me a break and sending it to storage?

Also, on the last legs of Genealogy's final map. Man, what a cool game. Not everything it does always worked out so well (Weapon Triangle/Trinity of Magic "balance", all the rumors about it being Mounted Emblem not being entirely wrong, etc) but it's such an ambitious title in a lot of ambitious ways that it all comes together. I do wish that Genealogy's skill system wasn't mostly made up of stuff like "Skill% chance to do something really cool", because it's not really great for a game like Fire Emblem compared to skills that have a static, helpful effect that you can give generic enemies without feeling like bull.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I believe it goes to storage. You won't have proper access to the storage until you're done in Manster, but a few of the outdoor chapters in the meantime have storage access buildings I think where you can withdraw from it mid-chapter (I think).

Yeah, I already used Chapter 3's storage so there's at least one early on.

Also, I never fully appreciated it by just reading the LP, but personal crit coefficients are the most hilariously mean-spirited mechanic in the context of Tharcia 776. Without a guide you won't even know they exist, never give guys like Fergus Killing Edges or support bonuses to take advantage of them, then randomly get dicked over by that critical hit on a guy you were trying to soften up that captured your healer and stole her Physic staves.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, the little 16-bit Geneology/Tharica SNES sprites poking each other with sticks was the most endearing thing ever and never got old, but it really did not translate to 3D at all, especially after three games of field attacks just being two guys ramming each other.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Boyd is pretty alright... for a non-mounted axe unit. And those are across the board pretty terrible in Fire Emblem games, with the only exception being Ross. Their stats (and weapon accuracy) are just too mediocre for what their role is, unfortunately.

Um, of, all the axefighters, pirates and brigands across all thirteen games, I definitely wouldn't ever choose Ross as the exception when there are units like Hard Mode and/or A Route Gonzales, Dart, Nolan, and Shadow Dragon/New Mystery Barst. Ross is everything wrong with fighters.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
12 Lunatic. Awakening has so many busted mechanics and boring story maps that I can't imagine a Lunatic run being super riveting. 12 is a lot better done as an SRPG and I want to see Anri's Way with Lunatic mode changes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

Axes are really bad in FE4 and lex is good despite them not because of them. Hero axe is op in a game where you need a specific skill to double but that goes for all hero weapons.

Tbh, Lex would probably be OP even without the Brave Axe, since axes' huge AS penalty doesn't matter when you have Neir blood and Paragon, so all you're left with is a mounted tank that hits like a bulldozer with his one hit, which is pretty good in Gen 1 since even guys like Lewyn and Quan can't reliably double.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

The desert stage is the main reason why I will never beat FF6 a 2nd time.

If it helps, Arcadia is only painful until your first time clearing it. Once you have an approximate idea of where/when the bullshit is there are plenty of worse maps in the series that never get more tolerable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you hate yourself enough to use Roy, far be it from me to stop you.

Not to be rude, but if you thought getting Roy to level 20 was a horrible ordeal without savescumming the arena, you were doing something wrong. Roy's not great, but even in Hard he's not impossible to level since the midgame throws so many Steel Axe fighters/pirates that it's hard for him to die, let alone ram the level cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fade5 posted:

Roy's in competition with FE5 Leaf Leif as the worst lord; Roy can at least be on-par with everyone else after he finally promotes, and the Sword of Seals is absurdly good, although he can't go nuts with only 20 uses. By contrast, Leaf's "promotion" is so bad that the total stat gains are one point of Strength/Magic/Skill/Speed (not even any movement), and EXPwise he's still considered an unpromoted unit afterward.

However, Leif starts with a really nice Light Sword with 1-2 range, +10 Luck bonus, 60 uses and can be used as an Elixir; FE5 also has the Crusader scrolls which can make any unit good (especially thanks to all stats capping at 20), and finally he can be a really good support/Charisma bot with the King Sword.

Leif probably comes out a little ahead because in addition to all of the above, he never gets Fatigued which is really important/useful in FE5.

To be honest. I was always under the impression that every sucky thing about Leif was justifiable and probably partially intentional because Tharcia's unique mechanics would make a solid Lord trivialize the entire game, and go a long way towards offsetting his awfulness like you said, which at least makes him better than Roy IMO.